Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-12-2018, 08:18 AM   #31
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Re: make a friend (where did you meet your partner) just to keep in mind

Got any relatives that own land or a farm ?
Old 11-12-2018, 08:07 PM   #32
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: make a friend (where did you meet your partner) just to keep in mind

Also

How do people usually know it’s time to think about changing their main daily drivers when the engine and gearbox is perfectly sound, what makes you’s think about it in that case
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2018, 10:55 PM   #33
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The car thing above...if the engine and gearbox is perfectly sound, there are still many reasons people might change their daily. Could be they switch to something more economical or they might switch to something more powerful. Could be they change to more suitable body shape due to change in circumstances or hobby/lifestye (ute or wagon to cart stuff, or more seats to carry more people). Could be they just want something newer, safer or better features. Could be that, even though the engine and box are fine, everything else is flogged out (suspension refurb is usually in the thousands, seats collapsed, windows stuffed, aircon/heater gone).

Don't concern yourself with why others might change-up their daily...just focus on your own circumstances, wants and needs and you will know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em (move them on).

Re meeting other people in small country town, really depends on age group you are looking to mix with and what they do for kicks. Footy clubs were usually good during footy season for all ages (its where the netballers go too). Check that out if you are still trying to cut one from the herd next season.

Town I grew up in we used to have bonfires a fair bit - weirdly enough the best ones were usually at the dump...there is something about picking up a girl for your first date and telling her folks you are taking her to the dump.

There would also be the once a year 'cabaret' in town hall - they always get loose. Don't miss those. And if they have a BnS down your way get yourself along to that too.

And you don't necessarily need go 2 hours to Adelaide but be prepared to check out some of the happenings in neighbouring towns. 30-40 minute drive out on open road to the next town to meet your girl is no big deal...guys here in Adelaide spend as long or longer frustrated in traffic when their girl lives north and he south (or vice versa).

What do you yourself enjoy doing? Do more of that and you might find someone with similar interests (unless stupidly illegal or dangerous). If there is some sort of local club or online community for what you enjoy maybe get involved with that.

Good luck with it.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2018, 06:24 PM   #34
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi

How heavy would a 8-9 ft vintage bondwood type van weigh, just interested to know as if space doesn’t allow till later then might have to look at building one that looks like that and then later on build another with toilet and shower that looks like the viscount explorer poptop.

Also what would the 12-14ft viscount explorer poptop weigh roughly.

Also has anyone got plans to build a 8-9ft bondwood van (floor plans, sample pictures and dimensions) that they can share
Old 23-12-2018, 08:35 PM   #35
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try these guys: https://www.caravanersforum.com/

Should be able to help about the caravan, not so sure about meeting girls and when to move on the daily.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2018, 09:33 PM   #36
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

I will just add this bit of advice.

If someone goes to meet a as girl thinking she will go camping overnight or weekend, out of the blue, NOT going to happen.

Spoken by an old guy, who one day found himself suddenly single, then met the most beautiful woman I have ever seen in my life. Young, educated, BEAUTIFUL, and self respecting who had gotten sick of young guys without respect.

I am the beneficiary.

Show respect and don't expect or pressure anyone to "put out" on a first date or at any time.

JMO.

Last edited by solarite_guy; 23-12-2018 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Typo: I = If
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2018, 04:16 PM   #37
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Here's an interesting forum I got a lot of ideas from and shared with others.
U.S based but covers every way gypsies (I like me) deal with life on the road.

https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/

Warning... there are a few "out there" builds and people on this forum. Originally started by an Aussie van dweller.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2018, 12:19 AM   #38
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi again

If you wanted to go somewhere for tea with someone what’s best way to ask them and how would you find someone you know who’s free at a time and date.

Was going to go one place with family but locations changed as pretty much no one likes that places food so just got to ask friends and see who’s free

Haven’t been able to think about going cousins at murray bridge or meet them in adelaide since changing cars in june and now it’s almost impossible to meet up unless there’s a family function as they moved on with kids nowand that’s part of reason for starting this question a few weeks back.

Thanks
Old 28-12-2018, 01:06 PM   #39
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Are you referring to tea (as Tea and cake) or tea (as in dinner) I'm confused !

Old 28-12-2018, 02:17 PM   #40
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thread is sneakily similar to a weird one from earlier this year or last year, car10002 even asks the same questions about blocks of land and living in cars.
Old 28-12-2018, 03:12 PM   #41
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Lets start from the top, the best advice i can give about looking for a partner is to be realistic, its ok to want the prettiest girl in town but not always a reality unfortunately.
As i always say, feel free to aim for the stars in anything in life, but dont be disheartened if you only hit the top of the stobie pole, in other words, sometimes the best result is the result you achieve.

Now, from memory you live around the copper triangle area of the Yorke Peninsula, what you probably dont realise is that you are right on the edge of a gold mine of fantastic country girls just waiting to be swept off their feet, i know because thats where i found mine 27 years ago.

I was 15 when i moved to Maitland, a short drive from where you are now. I'd had a few short term girlfriends but nothing serious and fair enough i figured at that age, however, less than 24hrs after arriving in this little country town in the middle of nowhere in them days, or so it seemed for a kid from the big smoke if thats what you could call Adelaide, i met the most amazing girl i've ever met in my life.
She was 14, a little tubby but not overweight and the most gorgeous blue eyes i'd ever seen.
Problem was, i wasnt the only new kid in town as i'd arrived to work up there with a couple of other lads slightly older and much more street wise than me.

I didnt know at the time, but this girl had had her heart broken so many times by the local boys who seemed to want to fast track any relationship with her and coming from a fantastic loving family with good honest values this wasnt something she was keen to let happen so they dropped her like a stone when she wouldnt lower her values.
One of the lads i'd arrived with had her in his sights pretty much straight away and she seemed keen to reciprocate and as i'd become awestruck with this girl from the moment i'd seen her, it broke my heart when i watched them kiss for the first time and i barely even knew her.
Luckily for me he was like the boys she was acustomed to and went looking for the home run on the second night to which she wasn't having a bar of.

Now im a firm believer that things happen for a reason and there was a moment of madness by some fringe players that brought a close to their short relationship before things escelated any further than she was up for and the lads were off on their way back home to the city.

A few weeks went bye and one of our mutual friends mentioned to me that this girl liked me and had done so before she hooked up with the other guy, i was like, why did she hook up with him then, because you didnt seem interested she said.
I thought about what i'd just heard and realised what i was hearing was a fair call as i was quite a shy kid with low self esteem as a result of living under the regime of an over bearing father.
I couldnt handle rejection and knew only success or ridicule so it was easier to avoid ridicule by not putting the possibility of failure on the line, however, i saw something in this girl and so against my better inner judgement i decided i needed to lay myself bare and see what would happen, so the next time i saw her i asked her if she wanted to go up the local shop for some lunch to which she agreed.
We had a great time and with Christmas rolling around i decided to ask her to a friends christmas party to which she accepted.
During the evening she turned to me and asked my why im not like all the other guys, i was like, what do you mean.
She said well you havent hit on me, i was like, im happy to be friends if thats all you want.
She said no way, i've liked you since i first saw you but figured you weren't interested, i said no thats just my defence mechanism and that i was just as keen on you.
Moments later we were a couple and within a few months she was putting the hard word on my to take it further.
I was like, but you dont want to go there and she was like, i do, but i want it to be when im ready to make you feel special and not expected to like all the others wanted.
Well fast forward 27 years and it hasnt always been roses, but we've been married for almost 15yrs and raised 4 wonderful kids with the same good honest values.

So how does any of this relate to you're situation, well, there's a small country town not far away from the now busy town you live in and in that little town is a girl who's had enough of the guys she grew up with expecting her to be everything they want her to be and she's just waiting for some shy, maybe even naive young fella to come along to let her put into practice all of those good honest country values that she was raised with on her terms, country girls love to take care of their man, but not at the expense of the values they were raised with.

Perhaps the trouble you've been having with your car is for a reason, perhaps you dont have to travel very far at all for what you seek..

Good luck fella.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2019, 10:42 AM   #42
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi

Do you know of any car shows where there’s those car girls this year within 2 hours of kadina preferably in copper coast. Think in pt augusta there’s a car show every so often and there’s always a all ford day somewhere too.

Would both those shows have the car girls

How do you’s start conversations.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:37 PM   #43
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

car10002 can you please actually read the replies that people give you? Can a mod please have a word with this guy in private?
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-01-2019, 03:53 PM   #44
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
Hi

Do you know of any car shows where there’s those car girls this year within 2 hours of kadina preferably in copper coast. Think in pt augusta there’s a car show every so often and there’s always a all ford day somewhere too.

Would both those shows have the car girls

How do you’s start conversations.
Firstly, get off the weed or the glass pipe or whatever it is you're on and after about a month when your head has cleared out you might be able to stay on track with a conversation rather than flit from one flippant idea to the next with anyone let alone a girl.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:54 AM   #45
HIPO
Al

Mate, just be yourself & do & dress how you prefer..... get out & do the stuff you like..... women seem to pop up when most unexpected.... don't try being someone you're not, cause it'll never work!
HIPO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2019, 10:15 AM   #46
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi

What are ways to get more things happening in copper coast where you’d be likely to make a friend
Old 28-01-2019, 08:55 AM   #47
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi

What are ways to get more things happening in copper coast where you’d be likely to make a friend
a. Get off the computer, and go and talk to people, outside, in the sunshine, about interesting subjects. Don't ask them stupid questions like what you post here during the past few years..
b. Buy a dog, preferably a blue heeler or border collie. They will love you forever. And they can't give you bad advice.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2019, 09:57 PM   #48
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi

What’s best way to ask around and see which friend is free to spend a few days somewhere with you when nearly all either have kids now or have other things on.

Would be nice to spend atleast a few days in adelaide and working out how to ask around for a friend and see who’s free.

Haven’t really been able to think of it till june last year when getting the ba ghia
Old 03-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #49
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default block

Last edited by car10002; 03-03-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 26-04-2019, 11:40 PM   #50
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hi again

when cars get to point that it starts to let people know it might be a good idea to think about getting rid of them, the middle and older generation seem to keep driving their cars for a few more years or till they actually die altogether or until its completely worn out if it runs still whichever comes first.

what would be reason why many younger generation and millenials start thinking about changing them over the moment they start costing inconvinience or having never ending problems or are no longer fit for their lifestyle or buy cars that are only 2 years old at best then sell when warrantys over and not be as thrifty with cars and money as the older ones were.

usually its financially cheaper to keep fixing what you got or another cheap car than to take out a loan and pay interest rates and comprehensive insurance but spose theres other things to think about too.

one reason can think of is the older ones didnt have a lot of money or didnt like taking out loans so they had to make do and younger dont like being inconvenienced.

another is some people have to have a decent one where some might be ok to deal with things as they pop up

one example is parents had a xf ford years back and one year it was letting them know in a way that it might be time to think about getting rid if it and they kept driving it for a couple more years, still ran but was worn out totally.

another example is a aunt and uncle who are in 60s had a jeep cherokee and it started to become a hassle, everytime they went somewhere something went wrong and they kept it going everytime, now they have a 5 yr old challenger and the jeeps car no2 and think they might be the thrifty ones who will keep fixing a car.

one other example is the ef as most of you know had never ending problems for a couple years and kept that going as like the e series fords and kept throwing parts and money at it and a couple years later engine blew up due to head gasket going for good, and got a ba ghia as a daily and parted the ef out as want to go back to a ed and the ef had good parts so may as well make a decent old car and just drive around.

havent been able to travel to murray bridge or somewhere to make friends through people you know unless someone could take you and its only since buying the ghia you could think about it, atleast theres more hope now so that could be a example of why many younger dont like downtime.

theres nothing wrong with having a old maintained car just have to expect a couple things once in a while.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #51
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hi

would the experience with the ef in 2016/early 2017 not being able to travel to your cousins or friends without getting a ride be one reason why many younger generation and middle age families dont keep a older vehicle going until the engine goes.

from talking to a old person they recon its because people have places to go and things to do and dont have time for a unreliable daily driver or the patience when they want to get somewhere even though its financially cheaper to keep fixing what you got than taking out loans or updationg or both.

thanks
Old 07-05-2019, 08:59 PM   #52
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It took 4 attempts to start the work car the other night at 2am when I was going home and I was fuming. It's less than 2 years old and has 200,000kms on it.
I want to be able to walk outside to my car right now, start it first go and drive 1000kms with no preparation and have a pretty low chance of breaking down.

If you own a classic for fun that's different, but I always want a daily I can trust to not break down.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2019, 10:38 PM   #53
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
It took 4 attempts to start the work car the other night at 2am when I was going home and I was fuming. It's less than 2 years old and has 200,000kms on it.
I want to be able to walk outside to my car right now, start it first go and drive 1000kms with no preparation and have a pretty low chance of breaking down.

If you own a classic for fun that's different, but I always want a daily I can trust to not break down.
ben73 would your experience be another reason many younger and middle generations dont wait till engine blows up before replacing dailys even though its 95% of time cheaper to continually fix than financing a better car and spose as you said people these days have places to go and things to do and want to get where theyre going with little to no preperation and once theyve had to fix it a few times its gone.

would the above reason be why many would rather finance a better car or pay more for a better car purchased outright even though both options cost more in long run usually.

what would likely to have been reason why aunt and uncle kept throwing money at their jeep cherokee to continually fix it even though they were getting annoyed when it was at point that the current middle generation wouldve decided its time for it to go. they were planning for it to be uncles work car once they bought a new car and c/van so would that be reason why.

also parents years back had a xf and in 2000 it was getting to point where most people these days would decide thats it time for it to go and they hung on for another few years till it was completely worn out.

many of the older generation seem to still drive cars till the engine goes or is completely worn out or hang on for a few more years then start looking for a replacement.

one example is grandparents camry engine was strong as so was auto and interior was starting to feel a little old but ran great even at 250,000 and they were probably planning to drive it till it blew up which wouldnt have been anytime soon, then someone backed into it and that got pushed into another car and they had to get another one which was only 5 years younger.

what it means is many of the older people keep driving their cars till the engine goes or hang on for a few more years whichever comes first even though for a while they were driven past point that middle age families and younger people would drive them, then theyll start looking for a replacement.

usually they wont buy the latest model but theyll buy a good used one and try to update just a little then drive that till it dies and start again.

usually theyll think why replace a car if it still runs, why not just fix it and keep going a bit longer.

would it be because they didnt have a lot of money with the war and had to make do or because they had more patience than we do to fix things as they popped up and kept going till engine gave up or were taught that you dont have to have the latest car to have something decent or a bit of everything

where as many middle age families start looking alot sooner and move them on. would it be because of following reasons.

1. often after a point its time for a higher income earner to pass it onto a low income earner or pensioner that needs a cheap car or someone like us that likes a particular car or someone in the older generation thats happy to not have latest while its still a good car.

2. people have places to be and want to get there with no more than checking water and oil and tyres and putting fuel in and would rather spend more to get a better car.

3. the younger generation want the flashest cars and would rather have a car payment even though its often more expensive and dont want second best even though you dont need to have the latest model to have something decent.

4. youll end up buying a car you didnt want because you were despearate so therefore best to not buy in a hurry.

when it still runs how do people often know it might be time to start looking and grab it once you find the right deal once its anything between 10 years old or over 200,000km and 15 years or 250,000-300,000km even though it might still run good.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:36 AM   #54
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone else feel as though it's "groundhog day" with this post (and others by the OP) ???
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #55
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2019, 12:07 AM   #56
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8 View Post
Does anyone else feel as though it's "groundhog day" with this post (and others by the OP) ???

It’s across multiple forums too...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #57
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi

Where in the copper coast are there events where you can go to and talk to people in their 20s and early 30s to be able to meet and talk to girls and hopefully find single ones as some don’t want to or can’t move to adelaide for different reasons.

It’s probably only in last year since buying the ba you can start thinking about it and still slowly catching up on things.

The ef needed so much work it was no longer dependable to go places until the major work was done and was at point where most people would’ve sold it and got something newer and wasn’t ready to update till now and didn’t have room to park the cars.

That’s probably another reason why not many people these days wait till the engine goes or is run down completely before updating compared to 20-30 years ago as guessing people like traveling or have places to go and things to do and don’t have the patience or time on a daily and that a old car you like driving in your spare time or a classic is different.

If there was space for old cars to park them then would have updated the daily a lot sooner
Old 28-06-2019, 04:10 PM   #58
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Hi.
If there was space for old cars to park them then would have updated the daily a lot sooner
Just as well there is plenty of open countryside up my way, as I see a lot of old clunkers sitting along farmers fence lines with the current daily proudly taking up the carports.

Old 28-06-2019, 05:13 PM   #59
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where in the copper coast are there events where you can go to and talk to people in their 20s and early 30s to be able to meet and talk to girls and hopefully find single ones as some don’t want to or can’t move to adelaide for different reasons.
Old 28-06-2019, 08:54 PM   #60
black13
born to be mild

I go to yorke peninsula a few times a year for R&R. last time there i was at moonta bay. From my observation there was plenty of fluff running around in the town & at Kadina aswell. Try going shopping , i saw plenty of lovely young ladies around town & at the supermarket. Pretty sure there is car shows in Pt Pirie aswell , which is not to far for you. Just try & be yourself . Good things come with patience
triumph Daytona 1200
the black beast busa gsx1300r
black13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post