Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 02-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Default WZ Fiesta ST Questions Thread

Hey y'all, I thought I'd start a thread where current and prospective Fiesta ST owners can ask questions about the cars.

For example, a prospective owner might want to ask about real world fuel consumption figures, or current owner might have a question on how to disable hill start assist.

My first question is, I get a *click, clack* noise when shifting gears (it can be heard in the acceleration videos below) does anyone know why they do this?

0-210 km/h : Ford Fiesta ST (Motorsport)
(From 28 seconds onwards)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4fLIjh3Ez0

2013 Ford Fiesta ST acceleration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V4Co7Xnhp0

LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Pursya

Default Re: WZ Fiesta ST Questions Thread

Sounds like some kind of gate lock/catch thing to ensure you know you have caught the gear. If you get it and you can hear it in a video then I'm assuming it is a deliberate sound.
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursya View Post
Sounds like some kind of gate lock/catch thing to ensure you know you have caught the gear. If you get it and you can hear it in a video then I'm assuming it is a deliberate sound.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. The 'click, clack' sounds 'official' can any other Fez ST owners confirm?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
cainen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
Yeah that's what I was thinking. The 'click, clack' sounds 'official' can any other Fez ST owners confirm?
I don't recall hearing a click clack sound when changing gears but maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention.

Does anyone have any information on the Mountune upgrades availability here? The sales manager at my dealership told me Ford had confirmed to him they would be available here by December but I don't quite trust him 100%...
cainen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2013, 03:06 AM   #5
EG30

Does the ESC have sport mode?

Or just on and off setting with off not being 100% off?
EG30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes, it has On, Sport and full off just like the Focus ST
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
GeeDubF6

Can't say I have heard the 'click clack' sound at all. Definitely not like the video clearly shows that's for sure.

Am I correct in assuming that the fuel filler has no lock whatsoever? The guy at the dealership said once the car was locked it would be secure but I seem to find otherwise. (They gave me a Focus ST manual at delivery this morning so flying blind at the moment...)

Old: BF MKII F6 #00390 in Breeze. Sunroof, 19" Dark Argent wheels, Reverse Sensors, Electric Pedals, Leather, FPV Mats... Ear to ear grin!!
GeeDubF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
cainen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeDubF6 View Post
Can't say I have heard the 'click clack' sound at all. Definitely not like the video clearly shows that's for sure.

Am I correct in assuming that the fuel filler has no lock whatsoever? The guy at the dealership said once the car was locked it would be secure but I seem to find otherwise. (They gave me a Focus ST manual at delivery this morning so flying blind at the moment...)
I'm yet to try but I'm hoping that it will not open if the car is locked and you don't have the key fob in your pocket.

Another question... On the display panel an up arrow shape comes up regularly. Am I correct in assuming that this is telling me to shift up a gear to maximise fuel economy? It never seems to come up when I'm in 6th..
cainen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #9
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by cainen View Post
I'm yet to try but I'm hoping that it will not open if the car is locked and you don't have the key fob in your pocket.

Another question... On the display panel an up arrow shape comes up regularly. Am I correct in assuming that this is telling me to shift up a gear to maximise fuel economy? It never seems to come up when I'm in 6th..
The arrow is for fuel economy (and is very conservative!)
Old 14-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #10
hazrd
Red Rocket...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cainen View Post
I've checked this out (Both FoST and FiST are the same). Unfortunately, you can still open the door while the car is locked. However, the fuel flap is an absolute b*tch to get open unless you have a bowser pressed up against the door, it wont unlock.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
GeeDubF6

The arrow is the Shift indicator:

"It will illuminate to tell you that shifting up to a higher gear may give better fuel economy and lower CO2 emissions. It will not illuminate during periods of high acceleration, braking or when the clutch pedal is pressed."

Old: BF MKII F6 #00390 in Breeze. Sunroof, 19" Dark Argent wheels, Reverse Sensors, Electric Pedals, Leather, FPV Mats... Ear to ear grin!!
Old 14-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
Skramit

1. Tyre pressures. The owners manual has Bar measurements that I converted with google to be:

Normal:
Front 36
Rear 26

Full load:
Front 37
Rear 33

However when I picked up my car the dealer had my tyres set to 45 on all 4 wheels! High?! Does the dealer know something I don't?

What pressures do you guys set your stock tyres to for every day use? Mine has Bridgestone potenzas fitted.

2. Right in the middle of the gauges In between the tacho and speedo and above the fuel gauge there's a small display that has nothing on it, ever. Is this for anything or just empty space? Weird.

I'm sure I'll think of more... :p
Skramit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #13
GeeDubF6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skramit View Post
1. Tyre pressures. The owners manual has Bar measurements that I converted with google to be:

Normal:
Front 36
Rear 26

Full load:
Front 37
Rear 33

However when I picked up my car the dealer had my tyres set to 45 on all 4 wheels! High?! Does the dealer know something I don't?

What pressures do you guys set your stock tyres to for every day use? Mine has Bridgestone potenzas fitted.
I'd believe the placard over what the local car yard has put in them - yet to see any sign of "I actually care about your car" in regards to dealer delivery.

The cost of this is a rort - I chased my dealer for a couple of months about my ST - not a clue about it. He finally called me to say they had one ready to test drive. Damn annoying having to pay for "delivery" when they already have the car. Could understand if I had custom ordered it or they managed to find the colour I wanted at another dealer...

Quote:
2. Right in the middle of the gauges In between the tacho and speedo and above the fuel gauge there's a small display that has nothing on it, ever. Is this for anything or just empty space? Weird.

I'm sure I'll think of more... :p
This appears to be the perfect place to put a gear selection indicator for automatics - seems like the right location/shape for it.

Old 15-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #14
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
This appears to be the perfect place to put a gear selection indicator for automatics - seems like the right location/shape for it.
Yep, that's exactly what that little window is for.
Old 15-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #15
DreadlyST

Quote:
2. Right in the middle of the gauges In between the tacho and speedo and above the fuel gauge there's a small display that has nothing on it, ever. Is this for anything or just empty space? Weird. :p
Guess you haven't used your high beams yet, that's where the high beam indicator light is!
Fuel economy for city driving = 8.2L per 100
Fuel economy for motorway on cruise control = 5.8L per 100
Fuel used BP ultimate 98
DreadlyST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #16
Savant
Starter Motor

Re: tyre pressures. Apparently they are shipped from the factory like that to prevent flat spotting and maintain the shape of the tyre... 8-10 weeks on a ship in the one position I guess may do that. The dealer should have adjusted these though as part of the pre delivery inspection... Hope they didn't slack off in other areas with the inspection.

Last edited by Savant; 24-03-2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: sorry not sure I posted in the right spot.
Savant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #17
Jamesy 88
Starter Motor

I have a question for any of you ST owners. I'm wanting to test drive the Fiesta ST before making any purchasing commitments, whats the wait expected for a test drive?
About mid Feb I booked a test drive through the Ford website and received a call a couple of days later to say when stock arrives (sales guy said next week) I can come in for a test drive.
Its been over a month now and now still haven't been contacted again for a test drive .

I'm really tempted to just order one on the basis of all the reviews ive seen but part of me also says try before you buy
Jamesy 88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #18
Skramit

And so what tyre pressures are u guys using?
Old 15-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #19
DreadlyST

Just checked my pressures this morning, 45psi all round.
Sticker inside passenger door states the same tyre pressures as Skramit has posted below for speeds below 190Kph However if you intend to drive above 190Kph!! there is another recommended pressure of 39/28(normal) 41/36(Fully loaded)
Maybe I will drop the pressures and reset the computer over the weekend and see if it has much effect on the fuel usage.
Bridgestone potenzas fitted also.
Cannot say I've noticed the "Click Clack" with the gear changes, and was listening for it today when I was in the car and changed at many different RPMs, but no "Click Clack"
On the fuel cap thing, It's the worst fuel cap ever!! I feel like a spastic trying to get the nozzle to open the flap and go in the hole at the pump.
Old 15-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #20
Skramit

I dropped my tyres to 38/38 and the ride has improve dramatically. Here I was thinking it was harsh... No wonder when the dealer had them at 45 or something mental.

I might try 36/26 as per the manual and see how that feels.
Old 15-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #21
DreadlyST

Interesting, will defo drop by the servo this avo when I'm out and drop them back to the manufacturers recommendations.
Wonder why the Dealers are putting such high pressures in them Near 10psi too much?? Are all dealers doing this??
Old 15-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #22
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

Standard practice is to pump the tyres up to between 45-50 psi before shipping so they do not go out of round so it more likely the dealer hasn't been thorough with pre delivery if your car came with high pressures
Mrmavx
mrmavx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #23
Skramit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmavx View Post
Standard practice is to pump the tyres up to between 45-50 psi before shipping so they do not go out of round so it more likely the dealer hasn't been thorough with pre delivery if your car came with high pressures
Mrmavx
Makes sense.

Do you think 36/36 would give better fuel economy than 36/26?? Given most of the weight is at the front. Hmmm
Old 16-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #24
Skramit

So I dropped my tyres again to 36 front 32 rear and the ride is vastly improved again and front end grip seems much better as well. Think I'll keep it like this . Having the softer rear pressures def helps with ride comfort, far less bounce over minor bumps now.
Old 16-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #25
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

Quote:
So I dropped my tyres again to 36 front 32 rear and the ride is vastly improved again and front end grip seems much better as well. Think I'll keep it like this . Having the softer rear pressures def helps with ride comfort, far less bounce over minor bumps now.
Another interesting thing is the tyre pressures in the owners manual are different to the tyre placard and have a bigger difference between front and rear when the car is 1 up
Mrmavx
mrmavx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #26
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

What sort of fuel economy is everyone getting?

My trip computer shows 7.5L, but real world is more like 8.7L. This is annoying as my previous Fiesta Zetec's trip computer was pretty much bang on all the time. My ST has done just over 6,000kms and I fill up with Shell V Power most of the time (out of convenience) I'll switch back to BP Ultimate and see how I go.

As a comparison, im getting that 8.7L on the same trips that got me 6.2L in my previous Zetec. Ford claim the same combined economy on the ST as the outgoing 1.6L Zetec, so either the EcoBoost has to loosen up a little more or you have to be #really gentle# to get that sort of economy.

Could I live without the EcoBoost engine, and ST suspension, and Recaro seats, and, and, and? I'll just have to cop the extra thirst!
Old 16-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #27
GeeDubF6

I'm running 36 (warm) all round - but I've also changed over to Dunlop SportMaxx as the Potenza's showed too much squeal in all the vids...

Old 17-11-2013, 12:57 AM   #28
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm running 36 (warm) all round - but I've also changed over to Dunlop SportMaxx as the Potenza's showed too much squeal in all the vids...
What do you think of the SportMaxx? I'm running (stock) 205/40/17's in the Fabia and find when turning I regularly get the traction control flashing and/or the electronic diff working overtime. I'm not saying they're no good, mind you, just not always up to the job (maybe no tyre of that size would be on a reasonably powerful FWD car). I've been quite impressed with them in the wet, though I haven't tried to test the limits.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #29
Pursya

If I were buying an ST I would arrive on delivery day with a tyre pressure gauge.
If the tyres read the ridiculous figure of 45psi then I would be demanding a refund on my "dealer delivery" charge.
As clearly they have not done their job.
What else have they skimmed over?
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #30
GeeDubF6

More than happy. I have been sticking with these Dunlops for the past 6 years - found them an excellent all round performance tyre. They were more than capable of keeping the Phoon on line so the ST got a set the first week. As you say - wet weather performance is also excellent.

I'd be surprised if any tyre could keep the traction light dim in these types of car - under acceleration there is always going to be an issue of weight/power balance with a FWD setup.

Tyre wear on the other hand... ;)

This user likes this post: