Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Why wasn’t the new GT advertised on TV?

I watched Channel 7’s three day coverage of the Bathurst 1000 and was astounded that the new supercharged GT wasn’t advertised in any way shape or form.

Ford Australia took a couple of them to Bathurst for their first public showing but the only thing I saw was a two second glimpse of one in the “50 years of Falcon parade” with Allan Moffat driving.

Here was Ford’s best opportunity to thrust this leading edge car into the spotlight on the extensive TV coverage watched by enthusiasts ... but as we’ve come to expect from their advertising department (do they have one?) there was nothing ... not even a hint.

Opportunity lost.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:22 AM   #2
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Was probably a good thing they didnt after the result.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:30 AM   #3
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh I thought it was weak too. The Cobra coverage from a few years ago was much better.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:32 AM   #4
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
I watched Channel 7’s three day coverage of the Bathurst 1000 and was astounded that the new supercharged GT wasn’t advertised in any way shape or form.

Ford Australia took a couple of them to Bathurst for their first public showing but the only thing I saw was a two second glimpse of one in the “50 years of Falcon parade” with Allan Moffat driving.

Here was Ford’s best opportunity to thrust this leading edge car into the spotlight on the extensive TV coverage watched by enthusiasts ... but as we’ve come to expect from their advertising department (do they have one?) there was nothing ... not even a hint.

Opportunity lost.
Yep, we unfortunately should be used to this....

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:48 AM   #5
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was just as surprised. Really didn't make any sense why they didn't do a thing but then again it may have been a good thing. Advertising "King of Every Mountain" during Bathurst when a Holden wins would be pretty embarassing.

They really should have put a few ads on though, atleast during the last race. HSV did heaps of them with the new E3 series
Old 11-10-2010, 03:41 AM   #6
Eleanor

I think I saw some ads for the XR50 during the weekend but that was about it.

My AU2
Old 11-10-2010, 07:46 AM   #7
CFOUR
The Destroyer

It was a shame really. Putting boss 335 adds on would have atleast given us blue boys a little ammo.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
GTP-814
love the quad cams

what was even more dissapointing was that they had a GTP (plus a range of XR6 turbo, Forus RS etc ) on display but at no time did they lift the bonnet to show off their pride & joy. That was very disappointing & might as well not even been there
Old 11-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Australia's premier motor sport event and Ford is so low key you would miss GT and GS,
does anyone here think that Holden would have run the release of their new HSVs the same way?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
MOTORE
1969 Ford XW Project

If there was ever a time to run ads on TV for Ford, you'd think that it would be Bathurst wouldn't you? Even though Ford didn't win, they should still be running ads. The only ads I ever see for Fords on TV is the XY GT on the Shannon's insurance ad.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #11
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why would you link the two? - There are no similarities between a v8sc and the new gt.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 11-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #12
smacxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very, very disappointing. Maybe Ford are playing 'the cool kid' as in, we know how good it is, Ford enthusiasts know how good it is going to be, we dont need to make a big deal of it, we'll let the performance figures do all the talking.
Still ridiculous though, Bathurst weekend was the perfect time to release such an awe inspiring car, but the opportunity has passed, and its not like Ford didnt have plenty of time to put an ad campaign together.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #13
smacxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
Why would you link the two? - There are no similarities between a v8sc and the new gt.

Thats true but when else throughout the year would you get that many car enthusiasts watching tv at the same time.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #14
Molloy
Captain beat down

If u want 2 sell cars u need 2 advertise

Molloy's Build thread
Old 11-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #15
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess because if someone went down to their local FPV dealer all excited to look at one they wouldn't have any yet...

Marketing 101, don't get people excited until you can deliver....

Old 11-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #16
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is there even a new add yet for the new GT?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #17
fmc351
let it burn

How many are they making? Depends on how they plan to sell them in the first place.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #18
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
most people on the street dont know that.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #19
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Australia's premier motor sport event and Ford is so low key you would miss GT and GS,
does anyone here think that Holden would have run the release of their new HSVs the same way?
HSV had ads during Bathurst
Old 11-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #20
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molloy
If u want 2 sell cars u need 2 advertise

Please, no text speak.

If you want to sell the car you first need to have it available, then you can advertise. Don't get people excited and ready with finance etc, only to find they have to wait 6 months. When people have the money but have to wait they'll find something else like a HSV.

Quote: