Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 05-05-2006, 11:13 PM   #1
kuans

Default Best ipod setup pic

Hello Everyone

Has anyone got the best ipod setup on the focus? Can anyone take a picture of the connection details and post it? Where best to keep the ipod? Stored inside glove box or secured by a F-type rubber grip clamp so that able to use the ipod wheel control.

If the ipod is not stored inside the glove box & is using the aux-in cable, does the protruding aux cable prevent the glove box from closing properly?

Has anyone experience inadequate sound levels when using the aux-in socket? If you increase the volume level on the ipod, is that able to compensate for the inadequate sound level?

Appreciate any help! Tks!

kuans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 06:47 AM   #2
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

This is what I would do.

Connect the iPod using the AUX socket.
Leave the iPod in the glove box
Use an RF based remote to control it.

Now you dont have any cables visible at all and you can still control it. The RF controllers cost about 100 though.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
kcbworth

Ok this is my setup. I'll take some photos and post them later or tomorrow:

1.Belkin Mini-Stereo Cable
2.Targus Remote Tunes clipped into cup holder.
3.Non-slippery type sock case that I just place in glovebox (kind of held in by other stuff in glovevox).

And it all just works np. Theres a volume control on the remote so to answer your question of volume, you can play around until you find a happy medium between ipod volume output and the volume of the stero. Pics to come...
kcbworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #4
kcbworth

This thread http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=44834 might help as well.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:11 PM   #5
kuans

Thanks! Tats a great solution!... But what about keeping the ipod powered up while its operating? The ipod will run out of power during those long drives. Do you guys wire an extension socket from the original lighter socket all the way into the glove box to power the ipod?
Old 06-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #6
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

You could do that yes. I intend to put a lighter socket IN the glovebox at a future date when I'm not so busy.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 01:31 AM   #7
kcbworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuans
Thanks! Tats a great solution!... But what about keeping the ipod powered up while its operating? The ipod will run out of power during those long drives. Do you guys wire an extension socket from the original lighter socket all the way into the glove box to power the ipod?
I've been on some very long drives and have never run out of power. I think the trick is make sure its fully charged before you begin, and try not to leave the volume on too high. That said, if someone comes up with a usable lighter solution then i'd be open to ideas
Old 07-05-2006, 08:56 PM   #8
Forest Bear

This is my setup...

I don't like the AUX socket where it is so I run a wire to the top centre arm rest storage.

Lets face it. This bit of storage is absolutely useless but is perfect for something like an i...Creative Zen Vision M. :-)

This setup is so easy and takes about 30-40 minutes. Doesn't involve much butchery to the car.

Here it is...

I choose not to cut original wiring because I can't be stuffed figuring out which is ground, left and right audio on the AUX wiring so I just put a 3mm plug in this way. You need to drill a hole for it obviously. This way I can still put the Zen in the glovebox if the need arises.

Tuck the wire under the plastic trimmings in the sill.

Comes out of here.

Under the passenger seat.

Comes neatly up to the centre arm rest. Now you need to place the wire in a way that it doesn't interfere with the closing and opening of the armrest storage. Work that out yourselves you geniuses.

Viola. There you have it. Zen Vision M or Ipod tucked away and unseen in the armrest. Within easy reach to control it. Can be left there and won't attract too many thieves.

Yeah and because I got a ZVM it goes much longer without recharging all the time. I can play more video formats like DiVX, AVI, MPG, MP4. So neahhh. Stickit you ipod users! :-)
Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 09:58 PM   #9
kuans

tks forest bear! yr pics r definately helpful! appreciate the effort taken. i haven't got my focus yet so seeing the pics has cleared up some doubts. Tks again! =)
Old 09-05-2006, 12:24 AM   #10
jaa55
Starter Motor

http://www.monstercable.com/icruze/c...p2_Results.asp

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...iliary%20Input

the factory headunit can control the ipod with this.......
it also keeps the ipod charged, i have something like it in my cougar. works great