Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
ORSM-8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AU3 Wagon loosing fluid

Hi Guys and gals, I have a problem with the wifes AU wagon its been loosing water . I found leaks around top hose replaced that then the gasket around the thermostat started leaking replaced that then the radiator started to leak at one end, i replaced that replaced and i also replaced the other radiator hose as well. Then its starts to leak some where from underneath . Finally after placing the car on ramps and having a good look from underneath i notice the rear welsh plug on the passenger side was leaking and rusty. Gee this car has only done 105,000klms. So Has anybody on here had this happen to them and if so can you tell whats involved in getting to the welsh plug. Can you tell me what it will cost . Ive checked with Bayfords and they want $55 for a full set of welsh plugs and $39 for a manifold gasket. Anyhelp would be appreciated. Tony

ORSM-8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
ORSM-8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

does anubody else had this experience with there Au
Old 01-03-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
sly
Sly like a G6

My wife's AU3 Futura wagon did a passenger-side Welsh plug at just over 90,000km. Too crowded for me to have a go at so I took it to a mechanic who said he'd need to remove the intake manifold to get to it. I told him to do all of them on that side. The plugs cost around $3 each, the job was between $400 and $500 IIRC.

That was less than 6 months ago. Now it's bleeding green again. I'm just on my way to check it out, I looked at it late yesterday but too dark. It's just had SVI LPG put on and my first thought was the water hoses to the regulator leaking around the clamps as they bed in, but they're all good. I suspect either the radiator core or the water pump.

The conventional wisdom is that the green coolant in AU2&3 is better than the red stuff used in AU1, but my AU1's radiator lasted to 250,000km and I still have the original welsh plugs at 330,000km. It had a water pump replaced under warranty and another at 250,000 as a precautionary measure. I had to have the front cover off the engine for a major job so I had water pump & harmonic balancer replaced while access was easy.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Mate I have never done the welsh plugs. I do believe they need to be pulled out and some special glue used to put them back in once they're tapped into place.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
sly
Sly like a G6

No special glue AFAIK. The Gregory's manual says Permatex #3, just a gasket sealer to plug any microholes around the mating surface. You could use Stag, or Rough Rider Back Door Lube or...
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 01-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #6
sly
Sly like a G6

Water pump, right on cue, 100,200km. I'm changing the 3 radiator hoses while I'm at it as the car is now 6 years old.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 01-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #7
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speaking of leaks, I have a minor one. On the Therm housing there is a metal pipe that goes into the bottom of it, it is leaking slightly from there. Haven't had much of a look yet, but would it just be a ne o-ring required?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2008, 08:56 PM   #8
ORSM-8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Guys for all the info Im at this moment pulling the inlet off it i thought i would just pop in here for a moment and see if anyone had responded . Once again thanks i will let you all know how i went. Cheers Tony
Old 01-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
Speaking of leaks, I have a minor one. On the Therm housing there is a metal pipe that goes into the bottom of it, it is leaking slightly from there. Haven't had much of a look yet, but would it just be a ne o-ring required?
Yep an O-ring.

I've had this same leak on both my AUs, dripping coolant onto the compressor (I think) below.

My good mate Dave has fixed them both. Just an O-ring was needed and some goop of course, for good measure.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2008, 10:23 PM   #10
sly
Sly like a G6

Yeah, i had that one too on the S1... not yet on the S3, but the day will come LOL!

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 01-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #11
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool, I assumed it would be, but just haven't gotten around to sorting it yet as it isn't leaking enough to be a major consern
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 04:36 AM   #12
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Think mine is starting to leak, albeit very very slowly. A couple of bits of dried coolant on top of the compressor.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #13
ORSM-8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I tell you folks what a pain to remove the inlet manifold so i can get at the front and rear welsh plugs. Gee there is a huge wiring loom entwined through out the manifold. Buggar what a job still havent finished it yet .Does anybody on here have experience pulling the inlet manifold out.??? Thanks in advance. Tony
Old 03-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #14
sly
Sly like a G6

A 10mm ratchet spanner makes the job of removing & replacing the manifold bolts a lot easier. I haven't fully removed a manifold though - I just had to undo it to replace the head, so it was left supported by the posts. Sorry the post is so late, I was in Sydney yesterday & crook today... just got out of bed :

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 03-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #15
ORSM-8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks man for that. Tony
Old 03-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #16
sly
Sly like a G6

No worries. Great name BTW. Tony.

Sleeper, anyone?
Old 10-03-2008, 12:01 AM   #17
ORSM-8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All fixed . Got around to finishing the car of yesterday. No leaks car is running perfect. Buggar of a job though. Thanks everone for your advice. Wife is happy to.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #18
redknob
redknob

Default loosing coolant

i have an au 2 dedicated gas xls ute and every now and then it loses fluid then it will be alright for months I thought it was the heater tap but I had it checked and they told me it was fine its just done it again and im starting to suspect the heater radiater has anybody else had this problem
redknob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #19
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redknob
i have an au 2 dedicated gas xls ute and every now and then it loses fluid then it will be alright for months I thought it was the heater tap but I had it checked and they told me it was fine its just done it again and im starting to suspect the heater radiater has anybody else had this problem
Can you take us a pic?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post