Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 17-04-2005, 12:46 AM   #1
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 
Default QLD Grandmother A Drag Race Dynamo

Forty-eight year-old Ipswich dynamo Terri Sander is striking a considerable blow for Australian grandparents and in the process she appears to be reaching a clearly defined peak in her drag racing pursuits.
Almost on a weekly basis for the past 12 years, this fun-loving adventurer has trekked out to her home strip at Queensland’s Willowbank Raceway, where she’s gained a reputation for her gutsy and determined approach to the sport.

Husband Warren is the supportive hands to her motoring pursuits, dutifully preparing her SDI Rover, left-hand drive creation, which has been aptly christened ‘Mama’s Toy’.

The wife, mother, grandmother and accomplished racer is no stranger to breaking the stereotypes and it’s that variable that motivated her into a sport fast becoming popular among the femme of Australian population.

“I’m a woman who’s always been a house person and care-giver who just loves to get out and race. I can really put my foot down and know there’s no-one out there who’s going to talk back to me,” the bubbly racer confesses.

“That’s what makes drag racing so special. I’m just an everyday person who was encouraged to get involved in the sport after watching my brother-in-law compete and since then I’ve had a whole new lease on life.

“I love to win and the speed and thrills associated with any form of racing is something I’d encourage all women to be involved in.

Such is Terri’s passion for motorsport, the high speed junkie has recently joined the Australian Women’s Motorsport Network, that seeks to encourage more women to become involved in such male-dominated fields.

Complementing the shift of greater female driver involvement at Willowbank Raceway, Sander is currently sitting in third position in the ANDRA Australian Super Street Series.

The Ipswich based Quarter Zone Drag Racing Club member’s competitive assignment shifts up a gear on April 23/24 during the Queensland Times Tin Top Titles at the Ipswich strip, where she’ll be putting foot to the pedal in the hope of elevating herself into the top spot.

The cause is buoyed by recent achievements, where this drag racing Queen became only the fifth female driver in the 40-year history of the event to claim the Australian Nationals title.

“A maiden track championship is certainly in my sights but there’s also a Winternationals crown up for grabs in June and of course the Powderpuff (all women) Series is there for the taking.

“But if I can get one out of the three that’d be pretty satisfying.

“After all it’s always been about having fun and there’s been times in the recent past where drag racing has been my ultimate saviour in less happier times.

Those less savoury times came just two years ago when Terri was faced with the devastating realisation encountered by many thousands of women through the on set of breast cancer.

The 48 year-old has since set about informing the general public about the disease proudly displaying a pink ribbon, the national symbol of breast cancer awareness, on her car.

During an emotion filled five months of chemotherapy, consisting of more than 30 radium sessions, the drag strip became a place to conquer all fears and allowed Terri to become the aggressor against that which had set about destroying her health.

“Many of the other drivers have since remarked how ordinary I looked during that period but such was the adrenalin pumping, that although I may not have looked the best I didn’t really feel that seedy.

“The racing kept my spirits high and I actually managed a win and two runners-up placings.

“It would take a week to recover after the chemo sessions but I managed to pump myself up enough to have everything working in a positive way by race day.

“After such an experience I now have a simple goal of staying healthy and to keep racing as long as I can.

“I’m far from being the oldest female driver currently competing at Willowbank but I expect to be around for quite a while.

“It’s getting to a stage now where my husband has suggested I change the cars name from ‘Mama’s’ Toy to perhaps ‘Grandma’s Joy’.

Much akin to what is a drag racing fraternity at the Ipswich strip, it’s not unusual that Terri’s daughter Janine had also previously raced at Willowbank Raceway prior to giving birth to her own daughter.

And if the motorsports bug transpires through to a third generation there may even be a three-way battle for quarter mile supremacy some time in the future.
Thx to NMD for the story.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post