Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 02-02-2010, 07:51 AM   #1
LTDHO
The one and only

Default How many Laser owners do we have on AFF?

Seems quiet in here, who has one?

Post up a pic or two. Give us a look!

Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 09:25 AM   #2
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I've had Laser's all my life for a daily driver run around vehicle, can not fault them,
I had a KB Ghia 5M, bought this for the missus as her 1st car, got rear ended and written off,
Bought a KE 5M, got rear ended, but fixed, then sold of to purchase 3rd Laser,
KJII Liata GLXi 5M, got rear ended again, written of.
Now have a KJIII Liata GLXi 5m, still going strong.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Just bought an '01 KQ SR2 for the youngest son. It has 111,000 k's on the clock, good service history, in great condition and goes very well. Picked up a K & N filter for it this arvo and have just ordered a set of pacemaker headers for it which should be fitted later next week all going well.. Test drove quite a few smaller cars, Hyundai Getz, Toyota Echo Sportivo, 2003 Corolla, 2005 Ford Fiesta ( some were not very good examples obviously) found they all really struggled especially when the a/c was on, first drive of the SR2 and I was very impressed. Here's a couple of pics from the original private ad, haven't had time to do anything to it yet due to the weather (rain and storms NSW) Hoping to give it a good detail in the next week or so.

Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
Just bought an '01 KQ SR2 for the youngest son. It has 111,000 k's on the clock, good service history, in great condition and goes very well. Picked up a K & N filter for it this arvo and have just ordered a set of pacemaker headers for it which should be fitted later next week all going well.. Test drove quite a few smaller cars, Hyundai Getz, Toyota Echo Sportivo, 2003 Corolla, 2005 Ford Fiesta ( some were not very good examples obviously) found they all really struggled especially when the a/c was on, first drive of the SR2 and I was very impressed. Here's a couple of pics from the original private ad, haven't had time to do anything to it yet due to the weather (rain and storms NSW) Hoping to give it a good detail in the next week or so.
Nice buy, mine is 02 and black.
I bought it Friday week-ago with 109980 on it. Now has 110450. I love it.
Needs some minor mods.

Russ, run it up on the dyno with std exhaust and no Pod then again with it. I'm interested in knowing what gains are to be had.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 06-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Love the SR2's, when we had our 2nd laser written off, we went looking for a SR2 or even an SR but couldn't find a nice example, and as time was of the esence we had to find a good vehicle fast,
I looked at one SR2 in Geelong owned by a P plater, poor laser, lol..........
Old 06-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Nice buy, mine is 02 and black.
I bought it Friday week-ago with 109980 on it. Now has 110450. I love it.
Needs some minor mods.

Russ, run it up on the dyno with std exhaust and no Pod then again with it. I'm interested in knowing what gains are to be had.
Mate I don't have access to a dyno in my area. I fitted the K & N panel filter today and it has made a fairly noticeable difference to the car, seems to be breathing a lot better and idling smoother. The oem filter I removed was a bit dirty but not bad enough to cause any real problems I wouldn't think, so the K and N is definitely an improvement. I will be interested to see how the headers go, I'm expecting a good result though as any other vehicle I've had them fitted to has always shown an improvement in power and economy. I'll post up the results in a week or 2.

Russ
Old 06-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Love the SR2's, when we had our 2nd laser written off, we went looking for a SR2 or even an SR but couldn't find a nice example, and as time was of the esence we had to find a good vehicle fast,
I looked at one SR2 in Geelong owned by a P plater, poor laser, lol..........
It's funny you should mention that about "P" platers and advertising of cars, there are so many of them trying to sell all makes when I was looking on Carsales, Drive etc..... and for some strange reason it doesn't sink in to some of them that they would have a much better chance of selling them if they removed the "P's" from the car before taking photos for the ad. Nothing personal but as soon as I see a set of "P" plates on a small sporty car I instantly think there must be something wrong with it or it's had the **** thrashed out of it. I guess that's all part of being an "old fart" I don't trust anyone anymore.
:rolleyes:
Old 07-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
target00038
Starter Motor

^^ Im a P plater and agreee with u 100%, would never buy a car from anutha P plater, unless i know the car and it got treated the same way as i treat my LTD. But small sporty cars.....we tend to just thrash em :P
target00038 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
matty88

My 1991 KF TX3:

matty88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gday guys yeh I got a laser too,This is my low budget kh2 TX3 track car Im building up,when ever I get a spare minute,and $$$ its pretty stock apart from extractors/exhaust,better intake ,short shifter, fitting superlows, better shocks, bigger sway bars,strut braces,semi slick tyres and thats about all I will do to it just to have a bit of fun in it at the track. It actually goes quite well.
It will be replaced by a mx5 race car in the future.

Its only cost about $500 so far. I do like the kf/kh shape tx3s I also had a KB s pack years ago and put a b6 1600 twin cam in it. they are cool keep the photos coming

Last edited by V8falcons; 07-02-2010 at 06:16 PM.
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty88
My 1991 KF TX3:

Nice car Matty, what happened to the twin pipes in the second pic ? Or is my eyesight failing me as well ?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #12
matty88

They're failing haha

Nah the twin setup was the stock muffler, the single pipe is my new 2" catback system
Old 08-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #13
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They're failing haha

Nah the twin setup was the stock muffler, the single pipe is my new 2" catback system
Damn that trick photography :
Old 10-02-2010, 11:44 AM   #14
Meteor GenII
Starter Motor

ahh i want a 2.5" catback for my meteor :( i need money
Meteor GenII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #15
chris1029
Starter Motor

yeh i got a 1998 laser glxi, doesn't look awesome like the ones above but is still a good car, will post some photos when i get the chance, even though it's not a car that people will stop and stare at :P
chris1029 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #16
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1029
yeh i got a 1998 laser glxi, doesn't look awesome like the ones above but is still a good car, will post some photos when i get the chance, even though it's not a car that people will stop and stare at :P
I'm sure it's still a nice looking car mate and with a few mods can look just as good as others in it's own right. Anyway, as long as you're happy with it that's all that really matters.

Russ
Old 15-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #17
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
2001 KQ SR2 manual. Picked up a K & N filter for it this arvo and have just ordered a set of pacemaker headers for it which should be fitted later next week all going well.
Ok so the headers are fitted along with a sports muffler and the K and N filter. Overall a big improvement, idling smoother, quicker pick up and nice even throttle response throughout the rev range and has a nice note as well. Haven't checked the fuel economy yet but I would say there will be a slight improvement there as well. I had them fitted at an exhaust place and due to a few minor fitting hiccups for them, I would recommend anyone considering putting them on should do the same unless they have access to suitable gear (ie oxy ....etc) to tackle the job.
Old 15-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #18
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1029
Did you ask about mod's to your laser in another thread ?.
If so one thing I have done recently that has improved the idle and economy is to clean the throttle body, mine was so dirty, it was amazing how bad it was, since cleaning it, I have noticed the idle is much smoother and the economy has gone down from around 9/100klm to 8/100klm in town.
Old 17-02-2010, 10:55 PM   #19
KETX3
Starter Motor

Heres my old KE TX3:

Hers my new KE TX3:

KETX3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2010, 11:09 PM   #20
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Woah FordLaser.com that takes me back.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 07:59 AM   #21
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Woah FordLaser.com that takes me back.
It's still around and active too!
Old 18-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #22
matty88

It's my bible haha I'm a major part of it, Windsor what was your username on fl.com?
Old 22-02-2010, 12:48 AM   #23
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KETX3
Heres my old KE TX3:
Now that's a nice looking unit if I may say so

Does anybody happen to know if there is a Pick A Part style wreckers in the Bayswater Vic area?
I have an '83 Mazda 323 Familiar (same as the KB Laser) that I want to get some engine parts for... Things like a new head and for the right price I might even check out the possibility of a new short engine.
My current set up has Fuel Injection and a Turbo, so I would be looking at fitting that gear onto any new short (or long) engine that I may be able to get a hold of.

Any help is gratefully appreciated

Cheers
Wayne
Old 22-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #24
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesso
Does anybody happen to know if there is a Pick A Part style wreckers in the Bayswater Vic area?
Isn't 'Pick-a-part' in kilsyth?
Old 22-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #25
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Isn't 'Pick-a-part' in kilsyth?
Actually now that you mention it I think I may have seen one there somewhere. I seem to recall seeing one at the Swansea Road end of Canterbury Road in Kilsyth.

Thanks for that... I will check it out later today if I get time.

Cheers
Wayne
Old 22-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #26
KETX3
Starter Motor

Yes pick-a-apart is in Kilsyth mate.

Turn right off liverpool rd onto canterbury rd (heading up towards montrose), and its on the right hand side there at the turn off into that quarry.

Thanks for the comment about my old car btw. It's greatly missed, but I do believe the KE TX3s were made to be red :P

Last edited by KETX3; 22-02-2010 at 05:50 PM.
KETX3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #27
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KETX3
Yes pick-a-apart is in Kilsyth mate.

Turn right off liverpool rd onto canterbury rd (heading up towards montrose), and its on the right hand side there at the turn off into that quarry.

Thanks for the comment about my old car btw. It's greatly missed, but I do believe the KE TX3s were made to be red :P
Ok thanks for confirming that... I actually cruised up past there today and sure enough... I found it exactly where you said it is

Yes... FORD brought out some really nice looking Lasers during that era and the one you have/had didn't miss out in the looks department.
I swapped out the front panels on my Familar 323 with those from a KB laser which were a perfect fit and served to confuse many a Main Roads Lollypop person I would often hear them say (on the UHF radio) "Close off after this Laser... Ummm Mazda comes past." The only difference was that the rear indicators on the Mazda didn't wrap around the corners like the Laser... Basically everything else was identical and interchangeable.

Anyway thanks again...

Cheers
Wayne
Old 13-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #28
LTDHO
The one and only

Here's mine.....

well sorta......
Old 13-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #29
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I bought one for Mum a couple of years back, a 2001 model to replace the 1992 model she had. Was a bit of a mission trying to find the right combo though (sedan, auto).

They're good cars.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2010, 12:29 AM   #30
huggiebear
Mr. Multiple Projects

my lasers.

this is my old KF GL, now belongs to my brother, 1.6 carbie 5 speed
before

after

and this is the new one picked it up 2 days ago, KH S 1.8 EFI, power steering etc. hadn't been started in over 4 years so the fuel pumps stuffed and the tank is full of gunk from the fuel. its also fitted with LPG

this was the cool bit, tho now removed due to legalities

gave it a quick clean

2004 Forester Turbo
2006 Corolla Wagon BLAAAAAAACK
huggiebear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post