Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 11-01-2017, 01:08 AM   #1
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default need a new horn the OEM horn suck

My Horn has failed...again, the low tone has failed more precisely . This is the second horn and an original one too. The first one failed in the same manner but eventually both tones went dead. I'm not going for a third OEM that's ridiculous at $160 a piece.

I've thought about Hella Supertones and Sharptones but not keen on them, the other type are airhorns from Stebel Nautilus. I'm moving their location to more upfront in the clear but still protected. Looks like the original location isn't up to snuff.

I liked the OEM they gave a great loud tone but can't last ****.

Anyone else have options that meet a great horn brief?
Old 11-01-2017, 08:53 AM   #2
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: need a new horn the OEM horn suck

I think you might find that the FoMoCo units are just rebranded Fiamm Horns. Check out this link (you will need a Low and High Tone for it to work as per the originals in the car); http://www.fiamm.com/en/europe/avvis...utomobile.aspx

Alternatively, just get these from a wrecker...
Old 11-01-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

They are Fiamm indeed, I took a pic of them (just disappointed):

I won't be going them again I want a horn that will not need to be changed again. I mean I drive in rain in the tropics I go through carwash places either manual or auto be it touch free or spinning type.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:02 PM   #4
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

When they are mounted, are the holes for the horn facing up or down. I have seen multiple failures on horns that face up and any water/condensation that gets in cannot get out and then stuff up the horn. I always face the openings down..
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2017, 07:58 PM   #5
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been running Focus dual horns on the front of my FG since it was near new - replacing the feeble single original. They point down, and don't collect water.

I have also used the same type of OEM Fiamm dual horns - fitted to TS Astras & other euro-sourced Holdens from the era, on other cars, and never had a failure on them either.

I've never had any of them fail, and they cop water spray & everything. The Astra mounts them horizontally below the RH headlight, with the opening facing 45 degrees backwards. But on cars I've put these style horns on, they've all been vertical.

I'd suggest if water is your problem, then see if you can mount them like an Astra, as they seem to drain better (and any trapped water only sits in plastic).

I think it's unlikely that your new replacements will fail quickly - unless you're really abusing the horn. My experience with them is they last a long time with "normal use" unless there's a manufacturing defect, or they get water sitting in them.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
.:4:.
Kicking back

Thats a good point, not being a big horn user, the bf-fg ones do sound like a peep peep compared to the size of the car. They only get used when the light is green and the person infront is buried in facebook and doesn't move in the allotted 5 seconds I allow. Just as a reminder that green means go, no full on serving. Mums old Benz back in the day had something that was almost equivalent to a freight train, only topped be the air horns in the kingswood my brother had (not sure if that's legal anymore)
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2017, 09:37 PM   #7
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

horn facing forward as per OEM design, it's sealed and protected better than you think.

not a horn junky only used it about 6 times in the last 12mths, however not been used in the last 4mths until 4 days ago. nothing over a 3sec blast on real tardy **** that could hit me.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:55 AM   #8
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The OE horns are nice and loud. They are used often in Auckland traffic!

No problems with mine despite driving in heavy NZ rain many times.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
Old 13-01-2017, 01:02 PM   #9
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Give me an automatic horn that sounds when the driver ahead is on the wrong side of the road (or heading that way).
I can't remember what it sounds like, where is it on an MC?

Last edited by rondeo; 13-01-2017 at 01:12 PM.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2017, 12:34 AM   #10
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

After a lot of procrastinating I bought a Horn on Saturday and it was delivered this morning. One new Stebel Nautilus can't wait to fit it.
Old 15-02-2017, 11:06 AM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I thought all horns blow rather than suck :-)
Old 15-02-2017, 07:13 PM   #12
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

lol depends if you've wired it up backwards, much like I did today. I fitted the stebel air horn today and wow it's great. I need some more 2.5mm (square) wiring to directly pull power from the battery with a 20A fuse. The existing wiring is a tad small and it's not as 'instant on' as I'd like but they are loud and clear. Using the supplied relay with direct battery power will give full performance, well I'm hoping.

Happy to have a manly horn back if you know what I mean ;)
Old 15-02-2017, 07:17 PM   #13
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
Do you mean one that says "get the hell out of my way" as opposed to "excuse me"?
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2017, 11:49 PM   #14
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Do you mean one that says "get the hell out of my way" as opposed to "excuse me"?
Oh it screams ****TARD alright....
This user likes this post:
Old 16-02-2017, 12:33 AM   #15
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

please: http://www.r-word.org/r-word-effects-of-the-word.aspx
Old 16-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #16
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

No thanks to politically correct, we're adults here take it with a grain of salt if it upsets.
Old 16-02-2017, 10:16 AM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Going on the number of stars though .... I think his word started with F moreso than R. A completely new meaning.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2017, 11:30 AM   #18
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
No thanks to politically correct, we're adults here take it with a grain of salt if it upsets.
It not about political correctness; I know from first hand experience it's in some cases about mildly learning disabled people suiciding as a result of depression from the continued public negative use of the R word. And yes some of these people use forums like this.

Have a read of these pages:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-c...b_4896444.html
http://noahsdad.com/spread-the-word-to-end-the-word/

Quote:
Going on the number of stars though .... I think his word started with F moreso than R. A completely new meaning.
I hope so but getting the message out still doesn't hurt.
Old 16-02-2017, 11:52 AM   #19
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
lol depends if you've wired it up backwards, much like I did today. I fitted the stebel air horn today and wow it's great. I need some more 2.5mm (square) wiring to directly pull power from the battery with a 20A fuse. The existing wiring is a tad small and it's not as 'instant on' as I'd like but they are loud and clear. Using the supplied relay with direct battery power will give full performance, well I'm hoping.

"The existing wiring is a tad small and it's not as 'instant on' as I'd like but they are loud and clear. Using the supplied relay with direct battery power will give full performance, well I'm hoping".

What do you mean by it's not as instant on as you would like?
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2017, 12:52 PM   #20
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dog View Post
"The existing wiring is a tad small and it's not as 'instant on' as I'd like but they are loud and clear. Using the supplied relay with direct battery power will give full performance, well I'm hoping".

There's always a slight delay with air horns as the compressor has to get up to pressure. The Nautilus should be one of the better options as the compressor is integrated into the horn.
Old 16-02-2017, 01:04 PM   #21
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In electronic music synthesizers I believe it's called the attack time. More startling maybe. In bad situations my problem would be hitting the button fast enough. If I'm late seeing the lights change I don't mind a reminder, but let's have the long attack time . . .

Re political correctness maybe sometimes we use the first word that pops into mind, not intending to hurt. In that case some reflection might be an idea.

Last edited by rondeo; 16-02-2017 at 01:19 PM. Reason: addition
Old 16-02-2017, 01:40 PM   #22
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
In electronic music synthesizers I believe it's called the attack time. More startling maybe. In bad situations my problem would be hitting the button fast enough. If I'm late seeing the lights change I don't mind a reminder, but let's have the long attack time . . .

Re political correctness maybe sometimes we use the first word that pops into mind, not intending to hurt. In that case some reflection might be an idea.
Substitute 'curses' for 'political correctness'.
Old 16-02-2017, 03:13 PM   #23
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
it did indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dog View Post
its the initial starting point of the horn, it's an ever slightly slow operation of the horn and not instant like, enough for those who are picky to pick it up. Like the difference of a incandescent bulb turning on and off compared to an LED. So response time. The delay in the initial Air flow needing to build up can be influenced by the wiring to the pump from being simply too small for the pump.

It's just that I'm (in the interim) using the stock plug, wiring ans system (and tiny 0.50mm˛ at that) to power the pump and have yet to change that with the supplied relay (so direct battery feed) and use 2.5mm˛ wiring rated for 20A to match the 18A draw of the horn. So whilst the standard system can be used fine to operate the horn it's not optimum for it if you're chasing the full performance.

If you watch/listen to the Stebel YT clip mine isn't as sharp as that (not bad and not far off, but still not the same, again bulb-LED) I need to finish it off with full battery feed is all. Hope that helps explain it better.

Stebel Nautilus
https://youtu.be/Qhq8AcnukZE

$44 is much nicer than $160.
Old 16-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #24
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

actually there's a bit of funny business going on there with the YT clip, I noticed with the first use of the stebel horn it's edited in already with the horn being applied so it's not actually true to operation and the second application gives the better indication. Either way it's a cheap rectification of my failed horn.