Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #121
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Default Re: 2018 Ranger Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Are they serious? A 4 cylinder engine!
Australia's next muscle car will have a four-cylinder engine.
Drive can exclusively confirm the recently-announced Ford Ranger Raptor will be powered by a new-generation 2.0-litre twin turbo-diesel four-cylinder engine.
I hope Ford dont price gouge because of the Raptor name.
More crying about fords pricing
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2017, 08:03 PM   #122
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This raptor is turning out to be very special. Watts link suspension. Falcon did that 35 years ago in the XE. 4 wheel disc brakes. Falcon/ltd did that in 1973 over 40 years ago. Hell they might even introduce a plastic fuel tank. Oh, that's right falcon did that in 1979 with the XD. High tech this new raptor.

Last edited by boss351290; 29-09-2017 at 08:04 PM. Reason: A
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-09-2017, 09:21 PM   #123
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
More crying about fords pricing
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/f...ils-65305.html

Pricing mentioned in the article is around 80k.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2017, 10:39 PM   #124
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post
This raptor is turning out to be very special. Watts link suspension. Falcon did that 35 years ago in the XE. 4 wheel disc brakes. Falcon/ltd did that in 1973 over 40 years ago. Hell they might even introduce a plastic fuel tank. Oh, that's right falcon did that in 1979 with the XD. High tech this new raptor.
My XH panel van even has rear disc brakes...
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-09-2017, 09:42 AM   #125
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DJM83 would you pay $80k for a 4cylinder performance vehicle ? don't think so. this should have the Ecoboost twin turbo V6...you can get the Colorado LTZ with LS3 for less.
https://www.4x4australia.com.au/revi...ine-transplant

Last edited by csv8; 30-09-2017 at 09:49 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2017, 10:38 AM   #126
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

It may be time to voice displeasure to Ford about this decision.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #127
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
DJM83 would you pay $80k for a 4cylinder performance vehicle ? don't think so. this should have the Ecoboost twin turbo V6...you can get the Colorado LTZ with LS3 for less.
Not factory, not relevant
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2017, 12:52 PM   #128
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That is awesome!!

I don't know why Ford or Holden don't team up with a local converter and sell things like this through their dealers with a factory warranty.

A good example are the left hand converted Fseries and Silverados. The work those Aussie left hand drive converters do often makes the vehicle better build quality than what it left the factory with. They have official manufacturer certification just where they fall down is distribution and dealer network.

Sell converted F150s Raptors or Fseries Superdutys through Ford dealers starting from 100 grand and they will walk out the door.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #129
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
These vehicles aren't performance. Just cause it has a v8 doesn't mean anything.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:13 PM   #130
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
I have no issue with them using a 2.0 4cyl across the range, but the Raptor nameplate frankly deserves better. If true, they needn't bother bringing it out, its not going to move in the numbers needed to justify it.

I have a similar gripe with LR. We bought our Disco 4 with the 3.0TT V6, the new one comes out with a 2.0 for $20-30k more. Customers arent idiots, it doesnt just need to be a value proposition against the rest of the new releases, it needs to be a value proposition against what they're upgrading.
I want to rant and rave at the moment but will hold back until its official. Thats a huge let down if they use a 2.0 in the Raptor.

Although the segment is somewhat not quite the same, we have gone from 5.4, 5.0's and 6.0/6.2L's to 2.0.

Regardless of how well it might perform on paper they are missing the point. I hope the EU companies coming into the the market stick with larger cc's.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #131
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty interesting, 75% of Amarok sales in Australia are now the V6

http://www.caradvice.com.au/588581/2...ne-tow-rating/
Old 03-10-2017, 03:20 PM   #132
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd never given this much thought as I've always hated these utes, but now I'm in the situation where the practicality they offer is starting to become unavoidable - and I hate them even more!

Why is it we only have these horrible under engineered, under engined, undersized, under braked, pathetic toy trucks at absolutely obscene prices that are in no way reflective of what they're actually worth. The profit margin on these has to be insanely huge, for all the makes not just Ford.

The $60k mark gets us a 4/5cyl diesel bucket of misery here, but in the states you can get a V8 F150. I realise it's not a straight up comparison, cars will always cost more here, but this seems a bit extreme. Hasn't One Ford treated us well!?
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2017, 03:33 PM   #133
Sioso
irregular member

Maybe Ranger Stegosaurus would be a better name.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #134
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

so how come everyone was so blown away by the video, and then so ****ed at the news about the engine? doesn't the video show the engine is okay? how about all you guys actually jumping in it and driving before you bag it.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2017, 05:28 PM   #135
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
I'd never given this much thought as I've always hated these utes, but now I'm in the situation where the practicality they offer is starting to become unavoidable - and I hate them even more!

Why is it we only have these horrible under engineered, under engined, undersized, under braked, pathetic toy trucks at absolutely obscene prices that are in no way reflective of what they're actually worth. The profit margin on these has to be insanely huge, for all the makes not just Ford.

The $60k mark gets us a 4/5cyl diesel bucket of misery here, but in the states you can get a V8 F150. I realise it's not a straight up comparison, cars will always cost more here, but this seems a bit extreme. Hasn't One Ford treated us well!?
Each to their own I guess. I wouldn't call the Ranger undersized pathetic toy truck, But Id probably call the F150 oversized they are longer than most peoples Garages.

They make the Ranger in Diesel here because that's what the popular demand is for.
which could be a lot to do with what we pay for Fuel In Australia compared to the US.
I do agree with you that everything here seems overpriced compared to other countries
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #136
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Each to their own I guess. I wouldn't call the Ranger undersized pathetic toy truck, But Id probably call the F150 oversized they are longer than most peoples Garages.

They make the Ranger in Diesel here because that's what the popular demand is for.
which could be a lot to do with what we pay for Fuel In Australia compared to the US.
I do agree with you that everything here seems overpriced compared to other countries
Problem is we have no variety here. You are forced into a midsize diesel if you want a 4x4 or dual cab ute.
If fullsize American utes were sold here for maybe 15-20k more than the equivalent current range of midsize utes, they would sell so many.
But I'm sure they make more profit of Thai utes so they don't want to bring the Americans here if it will cut into overall profits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
so how come everyone was so blown away by the video, and then so ****ed at the news about the engine? doesn't the video show the engine is okay? how about all you guys actually jumping in it and driving before you bag it.
Smashing through the country side might look impressive but it doesn't showcase the engine.
You will be pretty unimpressed in your tough new Raptor when you plant your foot at a freeway merge and you are struggling to keep up with the Camry in front because your Raptor weighs 2+tonnes and has 150kws. Plus 4 cylinders don't sound tough 99% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Pretty interesting, 75% of Amarok sales in Australia are now the V6

http://www.caradvice.com.au/588581/2...ne-tow-rating/
I bet before the Amarok was released some market research expert said "4 cylinder diesel manual is all that's needed. Our research says that's what ute buyers want"
Then they added an Auto and many people bought them.
Then they added a decent engine and many people bought them.

Last edited by Ben73; 03-10-2017 at 09:43 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2017, 10:16 PM   #137
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I would wait for the official announcement before anyone gets their knickers in a knot.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2017, 10:46 PM   #138
redGhia
If Only I Had Lexus Power

Has anyone heard what engine they are looking to run , I can’t see Ford Aus doing the 3.5 EB for two reasons

Cost. To bring in a 2017 genuine Raptor from the states is 200k Aus

They are not calling it a Raptor but a “ranger raptor”

I think it will be a species down version of what the states get, if anyone has anymore info I’d like to hear
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2017, 10:53 PM   #139
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have no doubt there will be something like a 2.7 Ecoboost Ranger Raptor. I think the issue is it may not be made in the Thailand plant, it could be US only. Although the social media backlash and reports of people cancelling deposits may have Ford scrambling to get an Ecoboost as part of Thai production
Old 03-10-2017, 11:41 PM   #140
redGhia
If Only I Had Lexus Power

I Just finished reading through the thread and a link suggests a 2lt 4cyl diesel which seems more inline with the 80k price

Also I’m suspicious it will be full size as if anyone here has actually driven a Raptor you would know they are impractical in size in day to day life

A true raptor makes a LC200 look small, I don’t think Aus is ready for the Ford Raptor yet

We will probably get a Ranger with a 10 speed, 4 Cyl diesel, suspension and body kit

The US Raptors are Aluminimum body as well
redGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #141
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Problem is we have no variety here. You are forced into a midsize diesel if you want a 4x4 or dual cab ute.
If fullsize American utes were sold here for maybe 15-20k more than the equivalent current range of midsize utes, they would sell so many.
But I'm sure they make more profit of Thai utes so they don't want to bring the Americans here if it will cut into overall profits.
We have more variety here than ever before, Hilux & Ranger duel cabs are selling in record numbers. There's Navarra, Triton, Dmax, Amarok and the one with the Holden badge, plus Merc & Renault could be on the way.
I don't know how you can call them mid size as they are bigger than most other vehicles on the road.. The original Hilux now looks like a Mini in comparison.

I'm afraid your wanting of a V8 F150 that you would need to park in the trailer bay at Bunning's is not what most Australians Want.

Don't get me wrong I think the Raptor is awesome. but I wouldn't want to own one.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #142
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by redGhia View Post
I Just finished reading through the thread and a link suggests a 2lt 4cyl diesel which seems more inline with the 80k price

Also I’m suspicious it will be full size as if anyone here has actually driven a Raptor you would know they are impractical in size in day to day life

A true raptor makes a LC200 look small, I don’t think Aus is ready for the Ford Raptor yet

We will probably get a Ranger with a 10 speed, 4 Cyl diesel, suspension and body kit

The US Raptors are Aluminimum body as well
The Raptor in the US is based on the F150, that is not what we are talking about here. We are getting a Ranger Raptor as stated in the video. No one here thinks this is about the F150 Raptor, most of us though, like myself were hoping for a powerful petrol engine similar to what they offer in the F150.
Will wait for further information but at this stage I'm joining the less than impressed brigade. Id be very surprised if they can make a 4cyl diesel go anywhere near as good V6EB motor.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2017, 10:52 AM   #143
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We have more variety here than ever before, Hilux & Ranger duel cabs are selling in record numbers. There's Navarra, Triton, Dmax, Amarok and the one with the Holden badge, plus Merc & Renault could be on the way.
I don't know how you can call them mid size as they are bigger than most other vehicles on the road.. The original Hilux now looks like a Mini in comparison.

I'm afraid your wanting of a V8 F150 that you would need to park in the trailer bay at Bunning's is not what most Australians Want.

Don't get me wrong I think the Raptor is awesome. but I wouldn't want to own one.
There is variety, but they are all pretty much the same thing with a different badge fitted.
Thai built diesels with smallish engines. The hilux and Amarok have v6 but the rest are pretty similar.
I know not everyone wants a full size American pickup. But judging by the number of people who spend $150,000 on Silverados, F150s, Rams I think there would be quite a few people willing to buy them for a much more reasonable price.
F150 wouldn't be too much of a drama to drive on Australian roads. SuperDuty is a different story though.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2017, 11:45 AM   #144
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

The 2.8L in my work hack is horrible, not sure if its because of a weight increase but the previous 3L was more torqey.

Its not all about outright performance, IMO there is some status with having a bigger donk. Some may think this is childish, and I guess it is, but its also a fact that you want something extra for your $$. Simply turning up the wick on a 2.0L wont make it the success if should/could be.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #145
Nu66et
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Capacity sells, thats a fact. It was a large part of why Ford returned to the 6.2L V8 program some years ago after initially dropping it. I would hope though that Ford have taken notice of Volkswagen moving away from having their own 2L twin turbo across the range, to includ8ng the V6.
Nu66et is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #146
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

**NOT OFFICIAL**

Only one website publishing this news, which makes me think its BS. I saw Ford asking on their FB page what engine do you think is in the new Raptor as well, right after the page launched the article. Seem suss to me.
barra240t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2017, 04:08 PM   #147
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
I dismissed the article until I read this post. I could be wrong but going from previous posts I think Simon works on the ranger programme. Seems like a bit of a confirmation to me.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2017, 04:13 PM   #148
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

google tells me the new 2018 Us Ranger will be the same as the thai built but model just with updated front panels
and the US might not even get the diesel

so with reports the Us will get the big ecoboost there is hope we will too
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #149
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It doesn't seem very typical of how car manufacturers and especially Ford operate today to produce an entirely new engine for one vehicle, let alone a special model.

So if its true this engine must be based off the new Ecoblue Diesel
http://www.caradvice.com.au/438106/f...ines-revealed/

This engine is already listed as the replacement of the current 2.2L diesel in the Ranger

perhaps we are just taking about the new regular Ranger Engine
Old 04-10-2017, 04:30 PM   #150
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Toyota used to have the V6 petrol in the Hilux that made a decent amount of power. It sold less than 1% of total Hilux sales and has recently been dropped. That's solid confirmation people don't want petrol engines in dual cabs here. V6 diesel is a better option, but after driving the V6 TD Amarok I wasn't that impressed. It's ok but petrol engines are so much better to drive than diesels. The V6 Ecoboost in the F150 Raptor on the other hand

Drive one if you ever get the chance, it's epic.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post