Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #181
roKWiz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
roKWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Onsite Eastcoast
Posts: 1,039
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quite a few year ago we lived without a car due to living aboard a yacht, we would row ashore with our bikes in the dinghy, ride up to the supermarket, buy a weeks shopping, we left every bit of unnecessary packaging at the checkout for them to dispose of and pack our groceries into our backpacks and ride back to the dinghy.

To us it was just a normal shopping experience and didn't think it was to hard to do....... so my point is why is it so hard for consumers to leave some shopping bags or boxes in the boot of their car and just put what they buy back in the shopping trolley, wheel it out to the carpark and transfer everything into your own bags/boxes.

Anyone who has sailed offshore and seen the plastic islands floating out there where this stuff ends up will appreciate why they are stopping single use bags.
N.B glass on the other hand sinks to the bottom and provide houses for fish, crustaceans and is handy for shipwrecked message sending.
__________________
heritagestonemason.com/Kenworthrestoration
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come...... D. Diderot 1752

VT903 Cummins K125 Kenworth | 6V53 Detroit Ford LN8000 Louisville
4 X 0409 Ford traders | Nanni diesel 30ft Hartley silver Image yacht
and the mighty 4.1 XF Ford Pano
roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2018, 05:14 PM   #182
96paddywagon
Starter Motor
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 8
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
Replace plastic with glass



Would you ban glass?



Glass takes 1-2 million years to break down.

We don't make it in the volume of plastic but otoh we have been making it for 5,000 years.

Do you think glass creates an imbalance similar to plastic?



If not, why not?



Not saying glass and plastic are exactly the same but on your argument above they are similar.



My point being that no one complains about glass. No environmentalists run round asking for a glass ban.



If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.



The real question is why are we banning single use plastic bags? Because they are disposable and we don't like that, or is it the litter issue, the potential impact on wildlife, the resource consumption, all of the above, or something else?



No one considers that consumers may replace bags with even worse environmentally friendly solutions it is just assumed that the change will be beneficial.


Ground glass is sand , plastic decomposed is still plastic, I object to the food served in take away plastic containers then eaten at the premises- no washing up , we throw it all away without a thought but it doesn’t go away & heck I hope it doesn’t get burnt . We rely on it far too much , why do we need plastic containers for everything? We must be paying for all that packaging we don’t want .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
96paddywagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2018, 07:36 PM   #183
arronm
Silver F6
 
arronm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Perth
Posts: 5,710
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

I took the old bag shopping , then we had to get some NEW bags....
__________________
.
Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2aBy3bNbxY
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2018, 09:12 PM   #184
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Canberra
Posts: 7,534
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
So like me then you support a total ban on all plastic and consider the ban on single use plastic bags as a pisstake?
Late reply but yes I think we should reduce plastic use as far as practical.

But it is a start mate. I did my shopping today and no one was complaining about it.

Everyone looks at me weird when I don't rap my veg in bags at the shop. I just chuck a tomato or onion this or that naked in the trolley
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2018, 06:06 PM   #185
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable
 
Maka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North West Slopes & Plains NSW
Posts: 3,883
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Hi guys, here's a interesting take on the now no more free shopping bags -

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2018/0...hopper-mutiny/

cheers, Maka
__________________
Ford AU Series Magazine Scans Here - www.fordforums.com.au/photos/index.php?cat=2792

AU1 XR6 VCT (keeper) - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

Love your Ford AU Falcon, no one else does apparently - yeah ok!!
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #186
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,477
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Everyone looks at me weird when I don't wrap my veg in bags at the shop. I just chuck a tomato or onion this or that naked in the trolley [/QUOTE]

I,ve been doing that for years,why would anyone want to use a seperate bag for every piece of fruit and veg. put everything loose in the basket or trolley,then when it is weighed at the register, put the whole lot in the shopping bag together,don,t worry they won,t fight each other.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-07-2018, 07:36 PM   #187
Brodes
Brodes
 
Brodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Adelaide SA
Posts: 479
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Why are most people still whinging about this? We've been doing this in SA for umpteen years now without an issue. It's not that hard and if you think it's a conspiracy then revolt and use cloth bags.

Idiots
__________________
FGMkII XR6T, XB GT, XB Fairmont being built (slowly) & a monster MY06 Hyundai Elantra Hatch
Brodes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2018, 08:23 PM   #188
Cav
Future Paradigm Synergist
Donating Member2
 
Cav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Yap-Hoon
Posts: 8,528
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodes View Post
Why are most people still whinging about this? We've been doing this in SA for umpteen years now without an issue. It's not that hard and if you think it's a conspiracy then revolt and use cloth bags.

Idiots
Name calling is a way to win an argument.

If you agree with the ban of single use plastic bags then why not say why you believe the such a ban is a good thing.

Who knows you may sway my opinion.

Although I note that there are still single use plastic bags available in fruit and veg.

Do you boycott these?
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #189
Cav
Future Paradigm Synergist
Donating Member2
 
Cav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Yap-Hoon
Posts: 8,528
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Everyone looks at me weird when I don't wrap my veg in bags at the shop. I just chuck a tomato or onion this or that naked in the trolley
I,ve been doing that for years,why would anyone want to use a seperate bag for every piece of fruit and veg. put everything loose in the basket or trolley,then when it is weighed at the register, put the whole lot in the shopping bag together,don,t worry they won,t fight each other.[/QUOTE]

Are you aware of the risks of e.coli?

I try to get others to make up their own minds about topics on which they comment, but I'll give you a heads up about contaminated fruit and vegs ...

http://theconversation.com/everythin...d-e-coli-90230
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #190
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Perth, Northern Suburbs
Posts: 3,402
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
Would you like to post up some evidence to support that claim?

Here's my (very quick search) evidence to support the contrary position.

As I said, "In Australia the only way your plastic bag kills a dolphin, is if you carry it to the beach and throw it in. "
Nothing you have said, not your link, contradicts my statement in any way.

Unlike many third-world nations, we don't dump our garbage into open drains, rivers, or the ocean. Even garbage flushed down the dunny cannot reach the ocean.
The only way our garbage reached the ocean is if we choose to litter. That is a statement of FACT.

Notwithstanding its irrelevance, your linked article is still pile of straw-man twaddle. Saying that Australians are responsible for Australian litter is hardly earth-shattering.
But nobody is pointing to Australia as an example of the problem. Everybody refers to the acres of plastic in our major oceans, so an analysis of where THAT comes from, would be the only point of relevance.

I spend a lot of time on the water.
I could be wrong, but its my personal observations that most breweries have moved to cardboard packaging (at least for glass?) Certainly the plastic packing, and 6-pack yokes (previously?) used for cans, was an extremely dangerous form of litter. One of the remaining problems is the brightly coloured plastic lids from soft-drink bottles. Very attractive, and often fatal, to sea-life.

But the fact remains, that this is a litter problem. It doesn't matter what my waste is composed of, at the end of the day it comes ashore and goes in the bin. Trying to stop bogan-trash from littering by controlling the use of shopping bags is a thoroughly pointless exercise.
The irony is, that if you let them keep their plastic bag, they might just use it to store their rubbish, and put it in the bin at the end of the day.

Last edited by PG2; 19-07-2018 at 05:27 PM. Reason: You are still not getting it. Next time you have a go at someone warnings will be issued.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2018, 08:34 PM   #191
Cav
Future Paradigm Synergist
Donating Member2
 
Cav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Yap-Hoon
Posts: 8,528
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

No one has mentioned the life changing threat to men's masculinity.

They must now go shopping carrying a bag, just like a sheila.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2018, 08:46 PM   #192
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable
 
Maka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North West Slopes & Plains NSW
Posts: 3,883
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
No one has mentioned the life changing threat to men's masculinity.

They must now go shopping carrying a bag, just like a sheila.
What about if you carry a large box in to the supermarket Cav...
__________________
Ford AU Series Magazine Scans Here - www.fordforums.com.au/photos/index.php?cat=2792

AU1 XR6 VCT (keeper) - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

Love your Ford AU Falcon, no one else does apparently - yeah ok!!
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2018, 09:00 PM   #193
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2,398
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

I was going to suggest that they should make those bags out of Hemp....

If that was the case in my area half the people would be trying to mull them up down the aisles.

I'm used to using the green bags at Aldi or occasionally I buy one type of item in bulk and just carry it. Gotta say I prefer using 1 or 2 green bags as opposed to 4-6 plastic bags.

I put most of the fruit together in a bowl so it won't hurt if they spend 30 minutes rolling around in the same bag together.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-07-2018, 09:00 PM   #194
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,477
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post

Are you aware of the risks of e.coli?

I try to get others to make up their own minds about topics on which they comment, but I'll give you a heads up about contaminated fruit and vegs ...

http://theconversation.com/everythin...d-e-coli-90230
I think you are now using some feeble attempt to try to justify why you have to use separate little bags for every variety of fruit or veg you buy.Most vegs are both peeled and cooked and most people wash the fruit before eating,but anyway each to their own
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-07-2018, 10:19 PM   #195
pottery beige
GT.. not.. gt..
Donating Member2
 
pottery beige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SA state of confusion
Posts: 16,001
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodes View Post
Why are most people still whinging about this? We've been doing this in SA for umpteen years now without an issue. It's not that hard and if you think it's a conspiracy then revolt and use cloth bags.

Idiots
ma nagga


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav
Name calling is a way to win an argument.

If you agree with the ban of single use plastic bags then why not say why you believe the such a ban is a good thing.

Who knows you may sway my opinion.

Although I note that there are still single use plastic bags available in fruit and veg.

Do you boycott these?
i re use ma fruit n veg bags as a double wrap when defrosting dumb doog food in my fridge you poof

stops bleeding defrosting bags in ma fridge

ya poof

double bagged
__________________
VT WAGON ON GAS
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2018, 10:32 PM   #196
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8
Donating Member3
 
SpoolMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 22,762
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. 
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

I have just been in Asia for 5 weeks, they hand out thick strong plastic bags like lollies.
What we do here in one year, they will undo in a few weeks.
We always recycled our plastic shopping bags into rubbish bags, now we will have to buy our rubbish bags.
For our household nothing has changed, only the supermarkets are saving millions and I pay for my rubbish bags either at the checkout or pick them up the aisle.
We all use rubbish bags..
__________________


AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang ET:11.22
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2018, 12:06 AM   #197
GO FURTHER
A Dog + Pony = Happiness
Donating Member3
 
GO FURTHER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 5,812
Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
No one has mentioned the life changing threat to men's masculinity.

They must now go shopping carrying a bag, just like a sheila.
... Unless they carry one like this.

__________________
________________________________________________
2017 Mustang - Oxford White


"You don't own a Mustang... It owns you!"

_Thread__________________________Thread

GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-07-2018, 05:02 PM   #198
psychobimbo
Donating Member
Donating Member3
 
psychobimbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Victorian Riviera
Posts: 2,772
Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

I'm an engineer and anyone who has worked with an engineer knows we weren't employed because we did well in English classes at school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
As I said, "In Australia the only way your plastic bag kills a dolphin, is if you carry it to the beach and throw it in. "
Nothing you have said, not your link, contradicts my statement in any way.
Ok, perhaps my link didn't directly address the issue you raised, but given the quantities of product that was found in that article ("She says the density of plastic in Australian waters ranges from a few thousand pieces of plastic per square kilometre to more than 40,000 pieces.") I find it hard to believe that the only way, as postulated by you, that this plastic would have found its way into our oceans is by "carry(ing) it to the beach and throw(ing) it in."

I at least attempted to provide you with some evidence that contradicted your presumption. You, however, have made no effort to provide anything other than your own thoughts to be able to back up your presumption. If you can provide some independent (to you) evidence then I'll start taking you seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Unlike many third-world nations, we don't dump our garbage into open drains, rivers, or the ocean. Even garbage flushed down the dunny cannot reach the ocean.
The only way our garbage reached the ocean is if we choose to litter. That is a statement of FACT.
Whilst, in theory, we should not be dumping our garbage into rivers and drains, do you have any evidence that supports this position. just because we shouldn't doesn't mean it doesn't happen. If it is indeed, FACT, as you say then it should be very easy for you to provide evidence that supports this position, right? Feel feel to provide for the edification of all here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Notwithstanding its irrelevance, your linked article is still pile of straw-man twaddle. Saying that Australians are responsible for Australian litter is hardly earth-shattering.
But nobody is pointing to Australia as an example of the problem. Everybody refers to the acres of plastic in our major oceans, so an analysis of where THAT comes from, would be the only point of relevance.
I like the way people argue against a position that doesn't match their idealised position by dismissing it using emotive terms and not actually addressing the points raised. I never stated it was "earth shattering". You are the one who brought that into the discussion.

Clearly, the article I linked supports the view that we, as a nation, are contributing to the amount of waste in our oceans, irrespective of whether it forms part of that large island or not and irrespective of the source. To focus on that part alone is simply picking that part that supports your argument, whilst ignoring the rest of the pollution problem. My concern is not just with the amount of plastic (and other waste) that ends up in the oceans, it is also about the amount of plastic and waste that ends up in our environment; whether that be ocean, forest or in our earth. I'm interested in reducing my impacts on the whole environment form something that will never biodegrade.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I spend a lot of time on the water.
I could be wrong, but its my personal observations that most breweries have moved to cardboard packaging (at least for glass?) Certainly the plastic packing, and 6-pack yokes (previously?) used for cans, was an extremely dangerous form of litter. One of the remaining problems is the brightly coloured plastic lids from soft-drink bottles. Very attractive, and often fatal, to sea-life.
Hard to believe it, but I actually agree with you on this point

In my view, any steps that we can practically take to reduce the amount of plastic that ends up being disposed of in our environment is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
But the fact remains, that this is a litter problem. It doesn't matter what my waste is composed of, at the end of the day it comes ashore and goes in the bin. Trying to stop bogan-trash from littering by controlling the use of shopping bags is a thoroughly pointless exercise.
The irony is, that if you let them keep their plastic bag, they might just use it to store their rubbish, and put it in the bin at the end of the day.
As per above points, I don't agree. I see the plastic bag issue as being a much bigger issue than just littering. I see the banning of single-use plastic bags as being the first step in a long process to reduce our reliance (over use?) on plastic.And just because a person does not have a plastic shopping bag does not mean they can't, or shouldn't, do the right thing and dispose of it appropriately.
__________________
Life is a journey, not a destination.

Carpe Diem

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Work: 2007 BFII RTV in Collingwood colour scheme (Winter White with black accents and black & white plates )
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Hers: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor

Last edited by PG2; 19-07-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Has been addressed
psychobimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2018, 05:10 PM   #199
stefcio007
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Victoria
Posts: 308
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

By the way, if you don't buy any bags and bring your own you get 30 FlyBuys points. Not sure if everywhere does this but it's a nice small incentive.
__________________
2011 Focus LW Trend (Diesel)
2006 Territory SY Ghia (AWD)
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2018, 05:24 PM   #200
PG2
#coloradolyfe
Donating Member2
 
PG2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5,664
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Ladies and Gentlemen

I understand this is a hot topic and will be argued accordingly.

As I have now posted in a number of pub and bar threads I won't stand for people having a go at others. I'm really, really starting to lose patience with this sort of behaviour from certain people and I am sure you know who you are.

If those people don't start curbing their posting style I am just going to start handing out warnings which could result in bans. I didn't want it to come to this but some of you have left me no choice.

This is the final warning.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2018, 04:44 AM   #201
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,339
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
I am sick of govmints treating us like idiots and banning stuff that has no effect except to give them the high moral ground.

It is all about gesture politics that means nothing, achieves nothing and I have yet to meet someone who agrees that we should keep using single use plastic bags.

The reason I suspect is that people no longer think about what is happening. Add in a media that also has an agenda and we never have a proper debate on anything anymore where we exchange facts and logic to arrive at some point where all concerns are out in the open.

Are there any disadvantages in banning single use plastic bags?

Well how about this one ...

People will die.

Mention that to people and they just shrug.

That's right, they shrug.

Does this not mean that people care more about the environment and animals that they do about their fellow human beings.

A 2012 University of Pennsylvania study found San Francisco’s 2007 plastic bag ban killed people because reusable bags increased shoppers’ exposure to harmful bacteria that can infest them. “The San Francisco ban led to, conservatively, 5.4 annual additional deaths,” the authors concluded.

Don't believe me?

Here is the study
http://www.austincontrarian.com/file...-id2196481.pdf
Media Watch covered this recently.
That study wasn't peer reviewed and made unproven links to a spike in infections in one area.

My take is that this ban is a start and that's a good thing.
Yes I think once this change has been in place a while it'll lead to further legislation that'll result in less plastic packaging.
My family has been shopping with multiuse bags or boxes for probably 10 plus years now and it isn't that hard to do.
Shops like Aldi encourage this and it works.
Imho fear of change and a few shockjocks like Jones, Bolt and co are driving what I believe is the illogical resistance to this.

Anything that can reduce or limit the amount of microplastic in the environment has my support.
xxx000 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2018, 05:25 AM   #202
stefcio007
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Victoria
Posts: 308
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

IMO the plastic bag ban is more to get the ball rolling and people talking about reduce plastic use. In that sense it’s pretty effective. We now have plastic packaging that has new labelling so that people know if they can recycle it or not. The bigger problem is people don’t know what they can recycle and end up contaminating recycling bins, then all of it gets dumped into landfill and none of it gets recycled.
__________________
2011 Focus LW Trend (Diesel)
2006 Territory SY Ghia (AWD)
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2018, 12:29 PM   #203
roKWiz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
roKWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Onsite Eastcoast
Posts: 1,039
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

On a similar vein.
I heard the govmit want to introduce a tax on building products to fund asbestos removal.
I would like to see a tax on take away coffee cups if we are going down this route.
__________________
heritagestonemason.com/Kenworthrestoration
In order that the labour of centuries past may not be in vain during the centuries to come...... D. Diderot 1752

VT903 Cummins K125 Kenworth | 6V53 Detroit Ford LN8000 Louisville
4 X 0409 Ford traders | Nanni diesel 30ft Hartley silver Image yacht
and the mighty 4.1 XF Ford Pano
roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #204
GasOLane
Moderator
Donating Member2
 
GasOLane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Sunny Downtown Wagga Wagga. NSW.
Posts: 28,033
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

I took my daughter and granddaughter on the Rivercat from Parramatta to circular quay and back yesterday, and never saw one plastic supermarket bag in water.

I did however see three black garbage bags floating along though
__________________
Dying at your job is natures way of saying that you're in the wrong line of work.
GasOLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2018, 10:06 PM   #205
prydey
Rob
 
prydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Woodcroft S.A.
Posts: 15,090
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I did however see three black garbage bags floating along though
obviously the concrete weights fell off...
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2018, 08:12 AM   #206
XByoot
Moderator
Donating Member3
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,790
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
No one has mentioned the life changing threat to men's masculinity.

They must now go shopping carrying a bag, just like a sheila.
Absolutely! I think your onto something, perhaps a new line of masculine shopping trolley wheelie bag thingos, with bloke stuff such as little mags, expensive Lo pro rubber, billet handles, carbon fibre frames. We could start another tribal Ford Vs Holden scene with shopping trolleys. Guys will pay thousands for the latest hi tech trolley! Throw in a Ned Kelly hipster beard and a smashed avo salad at you fav vegan cafe and job done, update your FB page then throw your take away latte cup in the gutter with total peace of mind afterwards.

Last edited by XByoot; 23-07-2018 at 08:19 AM.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2018, 12:14 PM   #207
GO FURTHER
A Dog + Pony = Happiness
Donating Member3
 
GO FURTHER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 5,812
Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post
Absolutely! I think your onto something, perhaps a new line of masculine shopping trolley wheelie bag thingos, with bloke stuff such as little mags, expensive Lo pro rubber, billet handles, carbon fibre frames. We could start another tribal Ford Vs Holden scene with shopping trolleys. Guys will pay thousands for the latest hi tech trolley! Throw in a Ned Kelly hipster beard and a smashed avo salad at you fav vegan cafe and job done, update your FB page then throw your take away latte cup in the gutter with total peace of mind afterwards.
I went shopping with my wife the other day, and the shopping bags near the check out counters they sold were all ones appealing to women... Decorated in floral designs on the outside.

No way am I carrying a bag with a bouquet of flowers.
__________________
________________________________________________
2017 Mustang - Oxford White


"You don't own a Mustang... It owns you!"

_Thread__________________________Thread

GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #208
prydey
Rob
 
prydey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Woodcroft S.A.
Posts: 15,090
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
I went shopping with my wife the other day, and the shopping bags near the check out counters they sold were all ones appealing to women... Decorated in floral designs on the outside.

No way am I carrying a bag with a bouquet of flowers.
geez, some of you guys are coming across as rather insecure
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #209
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable
 
Maka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North West Slopes & Plains NSW
Posts: 3,883
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
I went shopping with my wife the other day, and the shopping bags near the check out counters they sold were all ones appealing to women... Decorated in floral designs on the outside.

No way am I carrying a bag with a bouquet of flowers.
If they had a masculine Ford, Mustang, Falcon, AFF etc logo on those shopping bags, we would be all good to go then hey.

cheers, Maka
__________________
Ford AU Series Magazine Scans Here - www.fordforums.com.au/photos/index.php?cat=2792

AU1 XR6 VCT (keeper) - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

Love your Ford AU Falcon, no one else does apparently - yeah ok!!
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #210
GO FURTHER
A Dog + Pony = Happiness
Donating Member3
 
GO FURTHER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 5,812
Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
If they had a masculine Ford, Mustang, Falcon, AFF etc logo on those shopping bags, we would be all good to go then hey.

cheers, Maka
Don't get me wrong, the supermarkets are doing what it right for their business model... The majority of their customers are female of course, so floral shopping bags are more profitable and appealing. That's business
__________________
________________________________________________
2017 Mustang - Oxford White


"You don't own a Mustang... It owns you!"

_Thread__________________________Thread

GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +11. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Other than what is legally copyrighted by the respective owners, this site is copyright www.fordforums.com.au
Positive SSL