Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #1
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default just sat in a new 2018 jeep grand cherokee laredo

well I have a thread here about my ts sz mk2 awd terri and its problems so I wont go in to that but at the moment ford are going thru the process of making me an offer to buy back the vehicle as they cant replace new for old , and its looking like they don't want to assist me in to an everest unless I foot a large change over to the deal
so it currently seeming they are thinking they will make me an offer cash pay out on mine and then ill just take that cash and buy the Everest (a 2ltr 10 speed trend 4*4) as its the only thing they have close to replace the terri
and that's as the discussion went at the dealership on thursday and I was put in the drivers seat of a current everest (ps was told the 2ltrs be available to them in about 6 weeks) and was given an approximate price (almost to the cent) id be laying out for it

so today ive looked at the 2018 jeep grand cherokee Laredo 4*4 and its v6 diesel 8 speed auto and to me it seemed a much better quality vehicle all round even tho the Laredo is the jeeps base model
and would end up almost $5k cheaper

so what are peoples thoughts on the new jeep grand cherakee's these days have you driven or owned one and had a good or bad experience ?
but im thinking that the jeep will be the replacement at this stage

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
littlered
Starter Motor

Default Re: just sat in a new 2018 jeep grand cherokee laredo

Currently leasing a 2017 overland with the same engine/transmission

Overall... great car.. great enconomy.. getting around 7.5L/100 kms. That V6 diesel is a cracker with huge torque.

Quality and reliability is MUCH better than it has been.. I have had no issues apart from the type pressure sensors sometimes going off. I know these have a poor reputation in the past but mine has been fine. Also got a 5 year warranty through their new program they instituted after all the bad press on the other cars

The only issue i can see is these depreciate like a rock but because i salary sacrifice.. it doesn’t impact me greatly.

Melville dealer was great too.. no fuss.. upfront about everything.. easy to deal with

Hope that helps

LR
littlered is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-07-2018, 01:19 PM   #3
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check the Everest thread.

Living where I do, the only times I see a jeep is when someone drives up from the city.
Locals have been slowly switching over from Prados to Everest although usually the titanium model.

It's only anecdotal and I've never driven one but a shift has definitely happened. Sometimes $5k can be cheap insurance.
Not an easy decision.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Check the Everest thread.

Living where I do, the only times I see a jeep is when someone drives up from the city.
Locals have been slowly switching over from Prados to Everest although usually the titanium model.

It's only anecdotal and I've never driven one but a shift has definitely happened. Sometimes $5k can be cheap insurance.
Not an easy decision.
don't get me wrong ive been more than happy with the terri mechanically but its been plagued with electrical gremlins that they cant rid
and ive been heavily following the everest threads (and any other suitable ford replacement offers that may be coming in the wind) and I do have a hang up with 5cylinder motors that's why id be looking at the 2ltr 10 speed
but not factoring in the price difference the Laredo is seeming a far more quality build to me as a side by side comparison to start with
and from what I have heard to date with its v6 3ltr diesel 8 speed auto , its currently got a good drive line (unless like ive just gone thru with my terri you get a friday arvo build)

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 21-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

The Jeep is nice but rated as one of the most unreliable vehicles world-wide including in the US. My son just bought one despite these warnings and even the salesmen suggested (after the contract was signed) that he buy an extended warranty because they are so unreliable and parts and repairs are so expensive. Pay the few buck for a copy of the Dog and Lemon Guide for it and any other vehicles you have in mind see https://dogandlemon.com/ . Brutally honest critical reviews and and worse will tell you what goes wrong and what to look out for. Have a look at the free sample review. Don't be put off by the amateurish video on the Dog and Lemon site; they actually know theit stuff.
Old 21-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #6
Swordie

Try this site where owners provide reviews of their own Jeeps.

https://www.productreview.com.au/p/j...1-present.html
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2018, 07:49 PM   #7
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have a 10/2015 build GC Laredo Diesel that we purchased new in January 2016 for the wife's daily. Just under 2.5 years and 52,000km later the things been faultless, not a single issue. The V6 diesel is a gem as is the 8 speed auto. Its got plenty of kit for a base model and I LOVE the Uconnect System (Jeeps Sync Equivalent). It tows our boat effortlessly and does everything we need of it when off road (we don't do it a lot, but when we do its mainly beach stuff).

What don't I like about it:

- The gearstick - Its not hard to use or anything, I just find it a pain (the MY17 on have the newer, more normal one)
- The fact it has a foot park brake
- If you have the CD Player option, it takes most of the center console space

When it comes time would I buy another one? Yep, sure would.. Only I would go for an Overland with the Better 4WD system, air suspension and panoramic roof..

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2018, 08:28 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Then there is https://www.facebook.com/dontbuyajeep/
Old 21-07-2018, 08:31 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

And https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...ands-2017.html
Old 21-07-2018, 08:34 PM   #10
littlered
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
We have a 10/2015 build GC Laredo Diesel that we purchased new in January 2016 for the wife's daily. Just under 2.5 years and 52,000km later the things been faultless, not a single issue. The V6 diesel is a gem as is the 8 speed auto. Its got plenty of kit for a base model and I LOVE the Uconnect System (Jeeps Sync Equivalent). It tows our boat effortlessly and does everything we need of it when off road (we don't do it a lot, but when we do its mainly beach stuff).

What don't I like about it:

- The gearstick - Its not hard to use or anything, I just find it a pain (the MY17 on have the newer, more normal one)
- The fact it has a foot park brake
- If you have the CD Player option, it takes most of the center console space

When it comes time would I buy another one? Yep, sure would.. Only I would go for an Overland with the Better 4WD system, air suspension and panoramic roof..
As mentioned above I have an overland

Mine is MY17 and has the "Normal" shifter.. all good
You eventually get used to the foot brake..
No CD player in mine.. USB, IPOD and apple/Android car play plus digital (DAB+) radio.. not sure if Laredo has these items
Air suspension on highway lowers automatically to aid in better mileage.
Love the sunroof.. good thing is there is no mesh curtain underneath the glass but a solid curtain which stops a lot of heat in the summer.
Seats at the front heat or cool.. rear seats heat (kids love this).. many USB points though out.
Haven't tried out the 4WD system yet but I understand it is very good.. there are options for sand. dirt, rocks etc

Regards

LR
littlered is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2018, 12:19 AM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Don't get me wrong my son has the petrol V6 4X4 Grand Cherokee Laredo and it's a great car to drive and well equipped. I would even consider buying one provided I knew I could afford to replace it when it started giving trouble and or the warranty ran out. But the opening line on the Dog and Lemon Guide's review which says it all is: "as impressive as a politician's speech - and equally untrustworthy". Perhaps not that more unreliable as many other not so reliable cars but the killer is that many parts are horrifically expensive so when something goes wrong it will hurt more.
Old 22-07-2018, 12:39 AM   #12
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Were you racked with guilt afterwards?
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2018, 07:41 PM   #13
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do they all have a 5 year warranty now or is it just mine?

Few times my automatic tailgate has gone halfway down, stopped then went back up due to a phantom 'hazard'. Press again and it works fine. It was touch and go for a while, but I pretty happy with mine.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2018, 07:45 PM   #14
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I saw two late model Cherokees today where only one DRL worked- no they weren’t turning.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2018, 07:48 PM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
I saw two late model Cherokees today where only one DRL worked- no they weren’t turning.
Bloody jeep winkers
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #16
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
I've noticed that this sort of thing is common with Mazdas too. One of the DRLs would be either off entirely, or permanently dimmed. (No they were not turning either)

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #17
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's overdue for a service or the technician forgot to reset it.

They break your car as a reminder to take it to them to get ripped off.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2018, 04:55 PM   #18
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got a MY15 Laredo diesel.

Underneath is a Merc ML350 chassis, gearbox on the diesels is a German built ZF and the diesel donk is an Italian built VM Motori.

The driveline is fantastic, that diesel beats the 5 potter in the Ranger/Everest hands down. I've driven them back to back, even took the guy who had the Ranger for a ride in my GC and he couldn't believe the difference in the engines both power wise and refinement.

Trans, I did have a problem with the 123/321 shifting in bumper to bumper light throttle situations, not consistently smooth, eventually they put a new box into it. To this day, i'm still not 100% happy with it and it's actually been a problem with other brands (BMW being one) that use this trans too. Oddly, resetting the trans 'learn feature' improves this for a while! Fortunately, ZF released a MK II which targeted this issue.

Economy, mine is mostly used as a daily driver around town, gives about 8.5/100 on average, I was in a dealer demo MY17 diesel a few weeks ago, indicated 7.5/100.

Tyres, mines got the stock Michelins (Laredo), now at 73,xxx k's and id say there's an easy 15,000 left in them which is pretty decent.

Servicing, dealers are thieving. Minor is $520 for the oiler, ranging up to around $1,200 odd for the 80,000 service, mine will probably go to a 3rd party for this service, around $750.

Resale, stay away from the petrol's, they are the ones that are hard to shift so lose value faster and may account for the above mentioned poor resale.

Would I buy another? reliability/driving wise etc for sure but i'll be keeping this one until the end of the warranty as Jeep threw an extra 2 years on top of the 3 I had when they introduced the 5 year warranty, plus I had an extended 2 years so 7 years and around 150,000k's.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2018, 08:48 AM   #19
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sunrise this morning had an article on cheapest and dearest cars to own and run. Jeep Cherokee is the most expensive in medium size SUV's.
https://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-dri...-running-costs
Old 24-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #20
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Sunrise this morning had an article on cheapest and dearest cars to own and run. Jeep Cherokee is the most expensive in medium size SUV's.
The OP is looking at a Jeep Grand Cherokee, not a Jeep Cherokee. Different vehicle, in a different class and it is a petrol as well.

Warren
Old 24-07-2018, 10:06 AM   #21
Warrenk

I own a 2013 (MY14 model) Overland model which is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Tows my 2.8t caravan with ease. Fuel consumptiom is good for 2.5t vehicle. Best I have had on the hwy over about 200klms was 6.8ltrs/100klm, but normally for general driving 8.5 - 9.5. Would I buy another one, in a heart beat.

Warren
Old 25-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #22
adz137

My brother has a 2017 Laredo, he loves it, no issues so far. Pretty sure he said it has 5 or 6 years warranty which is pretty good.
adz137 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2018, 04:25 PM   #23
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

There will always be lemons/trouble stories - heck how many have Ford had.

My bro has had 4 Cherokee's in a row, loves them to death and grinds them hard.
The current V6 diesel loves it - tows motorcross trailer all over the place he boasting 900k's a tank.
He's had a few recalls but doesn't care one bit about it - as long as they fix them he's fine.
My wife has had a Patroit for 5-6 yrs we just replaced, only 1 prob just recently at 90thou clicks abs module.
She loved it.
Comparing the bang for buck plus performance to Everest, Jeep all the way if in your position.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2018, 06:33 PM   #24
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Who would by a Cherokee?
Grand Cherokee or Wrangler or nothing.

I have also noticed a number of Jeep owners seam to replace Jeeps with other Jeeps. Or they buy a second Jeep for the other half. Not bad for garbage cars.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2018, 07:12 PM   #25
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Who would by a Cherokee?

I have also noticed a number of Jeep owners seam to replace Jeeps with other Jeeps. Or they buy a second Jeep for the other half. Not bad for garbage cars.
Yep I know a couple of people with his and hers Jeeps. They do have a great fan base and brand loyalty.
I used to laugh when they turned up in matching Jeep active wear... until I looked down at the Ford gear I was wearing
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2018, 02:56 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Who would by a Cherokee?

Jeep sales are down about half what they were a few years ago. Seems like a lot of people just aren't returning at all and are moving on to something else.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2018, 06:41 PM   #27
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

The drop has been due to many customer service issues.
From simple matters not returning calls....silly incompetence on re calls and more.
I heard here in Sydney one dealer caused huge issues, those additional Warranty extensions over the Factory one this dealer suddenly was not a Jeep dealer anymore, or maybe he was pushed out by Jeep can't confirm.
I was told many clients with those 2nd party warranties were burnt or left out in the cold.
My wife's Patriot abs module after fitment needed to be vin unlocked, due to this dealer change only 2 dealerships around the northern region handled servicing, they were booked out for months and a new one was being set up the north side - was a PIA getting this cleared up.
So overall the cars are what they are, pretty good and some may suffer the re call etc but the main has been just bad management the word is incl from HQ.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2018, 07:39 PM   #28
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks to all that replied
I was chasing a personal opinion from people who had owned them more than anything
and I knew they had engine and transmission problems with the gear they were getting at the time
but with what ive recently heard is there had been improvements to their camp and well with what ive been going thru with ford and my terri it must have been made with a jeep badge some where on it as to what some of you have stated in this thread
and as of friday and the deal that was presented to me and the comments given to me by the rep handling the situation with the buy back its now a slim chance they will get me back in to any new ford for the foreseeable future
as I just posted in the tread about the problems with the terri
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
ok ill update this
as the problems are getting worse with the terri and ford have no idea how to fix the ones they are willing to accept as theirs to fix
so a few months ago they decided to buy back the vehicle
at which they made me their firs offer friday
over the three years ive owned suv its been in their care trying to rectify the issues for over 6 months and since purchase its had fitted the ecb bull bar h/d tow bar side steps mud flaps roof racks and weather shields all round
if they had another territory it be new for old change over but seeing they don't the next option as an equivalent is the everest trend 4wd 2ltr 4wd to me
and they came up with this as a possibility but I would share some of the expense
so with the incentives they offered me to change such as employee purchase discount (or what ever) and the price I payed originally for the car with out the additions (which im not allowed to remove or the price drops) my gap is 23k putting the everest with discounts at almost 66k
and to top it off the rep told me its a good deal and I cant contest it as he knows as hes done a heap of these buy backs , ?????? so how much a problem has ford had I ask and thats when he went quiet
and that I can get whats in my opinion a better package in the jeep alone with extra options at a better price , I haven't made a definite choice yet but am seriously looking in jeeps direction ~ maybe I will regret it but I can sure tell you ford has given me heaps of that over the last three years

Old 13-08-2018, 12:12 PM   #29
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post

I haven't made a definite choice yet but am seriously looking in jeeps direction ~ maybe I will regret it but I can sure tell you ford has given me heaps of that over the last three years
Get it, you won't regret it. People who don't own one(or any experience with an owner of one) and put negative comments are just ignorant (dare I say fools) so their comments are irrelevant.
Like any new vehicles getting a good dealer is a must. If you have not checked out jeepgarage.org do it as although it is an US site any issues if there any will be here. There is also a section for Australian imported jeeps as well.

Warren
Old 17-08-2018, 06:18 PM   #30
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well a 2017/2018 grand cherokee Laredo diesel 4wd with 8.4 uconnect and the off road package definitely isn't happening !!!! in any colour

I cant get one with the 8.4 uconnect and the off road packages and would have to have one factory ordered (so they tell me) and that could take five months
so I bought a demo velvet red trailhawk with 1800 on the clock with reece/hd tow bar weather shields bonnet protector and headlamp protectors for basically the same price as the optioned laredo , well put a deposit subject to the finalisation of the territorys situation