Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-07-2018, 01:58 AM   #1
xr6fa

Default How much for my car

Hi guys,Just wondering how much i should ask for my 2003 Ford Falcon xr6,its in ok condition for it's age,it's a manual with a genuine 58,695kms i know it seams too low,but i only drove it about 20kms a day to work and back and rare country drive,the reason i am selling it,i lost my job so i can't aford too run it any more, i am 63 years old,and work part time as a cleaner at night so we use my wife"s car,Thanks for any advice
xr6fa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2018, 03:49 AM   #2
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How much for my car

Hi,
Redbook is listing the 2003 BA Manual XR6 as private price guide at $ 3.300 to $4.800,
but that is for vehicles with average km of 210.000 and upwards.

I recently sold my 2005 BA XR6 Auto with low 110.000km and got $4.200 for it.

If your paintwork is immaculate, if you have full service history, and if the car is rust-free, and otherwise without any problems then possibly you could get a little more.
However, it is often a case of giving it the right price for a reasonably quick sale. If you price it too high it may not sell. Maybe you could try it for a week on Gumtree at $5.800, and if it hasn't sold in a week I would suggest try lowering your price to $5.400

I never accept deposits to hold a car from someone, and the first to arrive with the full agreed amount of cash gets it. I find that easier than to be in a situation where you have taken a deposit but suddenly the buyer need more and more time to raise the full amount.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2018, 05:34 AM   #3
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would not take less than $10,000 for it. There are a few BA/BF on carsales with less than 100,000kms as a price guide.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2018, 07:18 AM   #4
LTDHO
The one and only

I am pretty sure that none of us are valuers.

I believe in "It is worth the most someone will pay"

So list it for what you want, negotiate and sell for what you and the buyer accepts.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #5
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tricky one .. Unless you're desperate to sell hang out for a private sale for sure though because the wholesale yards will rob you completely .

Back in about 2007 I was thinking of trading my AU ll on a 2005 BF station wagon . They wanted $18 K . My AU at the time had less than 100k and was in great condition . It was a Saturday morning and I rang the Hobart car yard to get some more detail on the wagon . I was asked was I looking at a trade in and gave them all the details on my AU . Basically what I was told was the car would be worth $2500 max as a trade ,maybe $3000 if in exceptional order on inspection . It was 6 years old for God Sake. END OF CONVERSATION ..I remember watching the prices at the time for AU's in car yards . Many were priced at 7-8 grand if not more . Made me wonder what the profit margin expected was on my dinosaur as one of the sales consultants described my then six year old car was.

About a week later I was still contemplating a wagon and a Ford dealership had another 2005 BF wagon with more kays , slightly cheaper so just out of curiosity I rang them with the same query . Same response basically . As it turns out it was the best thing that never happened because I still have that dear old AU , basically never given any trouble , still in good order and worth a lot more than any trade value to me so she stays as long as possible .

I hope if you have no choice in letting yours go that someone privately sees value more that the sheysters in the car trade do .

On this sort of subject this is a hoot to watch and an eye opener too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WeBzQJK8Zo ...Hope you sell your car at a fair price soon .

Last edited by roddy1960; 10-07-2018 at 09:17 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2018, 11:42 AM   #6
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Post up some pictures if you are able to... Including the interior.

If you have difficulty, PM them to me and I'll post them up for you.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post
I would not take less than $10,000 for it. There are a few BA/BF on carsales with less than 100,000kms as a price guide.
Its 2003, so BA1 and its not turbo and now is 15 years old. $4000-$4500 if you lucky.

Redbook is only a guide..

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2018, 01:30 PM   #8
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Its saving grace is it is a manual.
Low kilometres can also be a bad thing for a car of that age.

58,695kms over 15 years = only 75Kms per week.

Looks like its had a lot of cold starts and short trips, where engine wear is at its worst.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #9
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Then you’d likely never sell it. But that’s fine, some people prefer to not sell unless they receive a very high offer.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2018, 03:45 PM   #10
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check out ‘carsales.com.au’ as a guide, advertise it for the price that you want, and don’t exaggerate the condition.
Then wait for the phone calls to tell you that the car is just what they are looking for, how it is a good price, and then they will tell you they are only able to pay half your asking price because their aunty is dying from cancer, or some other ridiculous reason.
The dreamers are not limited to only sellers.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2018, 04:32 PM   #11
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just some clarification, you’d like to sell it so you go from 2 cars to the 1 car? Or are you downsizing the falcon to a more economical car? I’m assuming you mean going down to the one car.

BUT if you mean selling the falcon to downsize it, just beware that it’s often false economy to do so. It makes me laugh when people will sell a $5k family sized 6 cylinder using maybe 11L/100km because “it cost too much in petrol” to buy a small fart box 4 cylinder for $10k-$20k. Yeah, weekly fuel bill is now cheaper but how long does it take to recoup $5k+++ in fuel savings? Not to mention the fact your car is now a small fart box.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #12
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Its saving grace is it is a manual.
Low kilometres can also be a bad thing for a car of that age.

58,695kms over 15 years = only 75Kms per week.

Looks like its had a lot of cold starts and short trips, where engine wear is at its worst.
Manual is the important part ......the right person will pay quite a bit more for a manual I would advertise as manual and low k,s , higher price and be patient

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2018, 08:23 PM   #13
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Its 2003, so BA1 and its not turbo and now is 15 years old. $4000-$4500 if you lucky.

Redbook is only a guide..
I thought you'd place more importance on how low the kms are seeing as you tell everyone how many your F6 has in every thread I see.

$4000 is what someone would pay for a BA XR6 with 200,000+ kilometers. The OP's car is probably in the last handful of BA Falcons that are as close to showroom condition you could find that hasn't been messed around with. That means a lot to some people regardless of what motor is in it.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2018, 09:18 PM   #14
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

I buy and sell many cars. I know what are realistic prices. You can advertise what price you want.

I recently sold a 2007 XR6 update. BF2 with 101000ks for $7500. Car was immaculate. Thats what the market would pay.

My car had auto lights, stability control and 6 speed auto.

The BA has none of those. Try $5000 , try $10000. Good luck...

Xtreme Ford Tuning

2 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2018, 09:21 PM   #15
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
I thought you'd place more importance on how low the kms are seeing as you tell everyone how many your F6 has in every thread I see.

$4000 is what someone would pay for a BA XR6 with 200,000+ kilometers. The OP's car is probably in the last handful of BA Falcons that are as close to showroom condition you could find that hasn't been messed around with. That means a lot to some people regardless of what motor is in it.
OP states car is in OK condition. Which doesnt mean "showroom"....

Xtreme Ford Tuning

This user likes this post:
Old 10-07-2018, 09:42 PM   #16
Swordie

Shame if you sell it. It's a really nice car.

If you don't need to sell in a hurry start at $8k with road worthy. Over time drop it. Manuals are worth more than autos.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2018, 10:12 PM   #17
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
I am pretty sure that none of us are valuers.
That's true, but I have recently sold mine, and similar to aronman, I have seen what the market is willing to pay. If you put the price too high far less people will contact you.

Cheers
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2018, 07:13 PM   #18
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think I will hold onto mine until the cycle goes full circle. Have a look at what people are asking for XF's now only time will tell if this theory works.
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #19
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar4890 View Post
I think I will hold onto mine until the cycle goes full circle. Have a look at what people are asking for XF's now only time will tell if this theory works.
XF’s?? What are they asking, $5k and it’s a 30ish year old car.
Hold onto a $4.5k (if you’re lucky) BA for another 15 years and I guess you could make another $500, but I’m sure there is better ways to ‘invest’ $5k.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:33 PM   #20
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XF's are going for more than 5k in some instances but it makes no difference to me not planning on selling my BA any time soon its worth more to me than what they are selling for.
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2018, 04:22 PM   #21
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Low kilometers really mean very little in the wash up. There are as many pros & cons for low as there are high with an older car. If your selling to shore up your bank account a little, I would consider paying a pro for paint correction & a few hundred dollars at a 'Mr Dents' can do wonders. Treat the interior to a proper detail and make sure wheels are clean/tyres in good nick. Log books, codes & spare key/fobs always help, along with documents to support purchases or work done. The majority of people buy a car based on its outside/inside condition. As long as the motor starts and runs as it should, 99% of buyers are happy. It is only people like most AFF members who will go over it with a fine tooth comb & ask questions about known issues. If this car presents well, with a good shine, clean interior and a smooth motor & trans, it should sell for between $5 & 6000 in my opinion, quite possibly more. Most likely, an enthusiast will be the buyer, so again, present the car as standard in the best condition possible. The question is whether or not you want to risk spending money to sell it faster/higher price? If the clear coat is dull & the diff bushes are shot etc, then its only going to get a few thousand dollars. If it is presented like I have mentioned, it should get $6000 or more. Very hard to tell without good photos, but as a few others have suggested, the manual transmission is a selling point. I strongly believe if you get the clear coat sorted & she's as tight as a drum, it will make a huge impression and the low kms will be the deal maker. Unless you really have to sell it, it is probably worth keeping for a while. Even if the reg expires, in a few years this might surprise. The turbo BA manual has been suggested as future collectable so a n/a is still viable. Best of luck to you regardless.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2018, 05:31 PM   #22
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Yes manuals are worth more, to a tiny demographic of people who actually still drive them.

I always sell low to speed up the sale, I don't care what it is. If it were me, find the average asking price for an auto, then price it the same. It should go quickly, being a manual. Or price it high, and have it up for 5 years with people low balling you every 3 hours.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #23
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are current 12 BA XR6 n/a Manuals on carsales - 180 Autos.

These things are price around first car buyers.. they will search on price then condition location etc so auto/manual is low on the prioritys. kids cant drive manuals these days anyway, so will go for the Auto.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2018, 03:05 PM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Got some pictures of it?
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #25
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

I gave my 2006 BF XR6 to one of my sisters in 2014 'cause market valued it at $7k and trade at $4k. It only had 22,000km and was immaculate. Not sure they are collectables...
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2018, 07:08 PM   #26
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

BA's are dirt cheap. I don't think it's worth much in the current market.

Having said that, I personally would pay a moderate premium to own a manual one over the auto after having owned an auto.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2018, 09:54 PM   #27
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Just to give you an idea of how hard it is to get a good price these days for a BA XR6, the following is from my own personal experience.

This was my 2004 BA XR6 I sold 4 years ago, before buying the FG XR6T.
It was 10 years old with 120,000Kms on the clock when I sold it.

It was in mint condition, as seen in the photos below.
(Those who have been following my posts over the years know how fastidious I am with my cars when it comes to detailing, cleaning and maintaining them.)

It had;

- Pacemaker Headers - $700
- Gowler Airbox - $500
- Herrod cat back - $1,200
- A complete set of new OEM XR6 seat fabric on all seats. - $300
- Chrome engine bling - $300
- Full-service records
- Weathershields. headlight protectors - $250
- New tyres - $1,000
- New battery - $190
- Gauges - $300
- Auto trans recently serviced & oil to air cooler fitted - $500

It drove like a new car ... And the most I could get for it was $6,000 four years ago!

I should have kept it as a second car... My loss.

My advice to you, is to keep your BA if you don't need the money, and downsizing into another car is really false economy IMO.

Old 19-07-2018, 12:51 AM   #28
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If only everyone looked after their car as well as GOFURTHER .
A good example of how to present a car for sale & how worthwhile it is waiting for a good enthusiasts car to turn up.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post