Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 12v vacuum cleaner

living rural and a gravel yard, I get a lot of dirt/small gravel in the cabin, what is a decent vac cleaner for keeping in the car and not having to worry about extension cables etc
Old 21-07-2018, 06:01 PM   #2
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 12v vacuum cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
living rural and a gravel yard, I get a lot of dirt/small gravel in the cabin, what is a decent vac cleaner for keeping in the car and not having to worry about extension cables etc
Have u considered a hand held vac? If the car is garaged or parked near a shed with power you can just leave it on charge ready to use.

Don't have to worry about the cord getting tangled in fittings in the car, can vac the boot without having a long cord dragging about.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2018, 10:10 PM   #3
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no hadn't thought about hand held cordless...suggestions from those who use them please.
Old 21-07-2018, 10:33 PM   #4
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
Have u considered a hand held vac? If the car is garaged or parked near a shed with power you can just leave it on charge ready to use.

Don't have to worry about the cord getting tangled in fittings in the car, can vac the boot without having a long cord dragging about.
Are you talking about the trusted dust buster? I have one of those for home but for work I have a 18v battery makita vac that does the job for small areas but I have a proper vac for larger mess.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-07-2018, 10:38 PM   #5
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

I've got a Ryobi One+ hand vacuum that I use for around the house. I occasionally use it in the car as well for a quick touch up. I use the 1.5Ah Lithium battery with it and I probably get around 5 hours / if not longer of use out of it before i recharge.

I'm happy with it.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2018, 10:49 PM   #6
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossy View Post
I've got a Ryobi One+ hand vacuum that I use for around the house. I occasionally use it in the car as well for a quick touch up. I use the 1.5Ah Lithium battery with it and I probably get around 5 hours / if not longer of use out of it before i recharge.

I'm happy with it.
The main reason I have the makita is because as a skin (no battery or charger)it was $80 and i roll with a makita drill and impact driver for work and have 3 5 amp batteries and 1 3 amper. So it's no brainer for me, all the batteries are interchangeable and I use them every day. The dust buster is something everyone's mum or grandma has always had and they do a decent job. Maybe not as well as a reputable tool brand, but for day to day.
Old 21-07-2018, 11:26 PM   #7
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

The trouble with all the dust buster type portable handhelds is they cannot reach or get into all the nooks and crannies there are in a car's cabin.

I gave up on them long ago... Nothing beats a proper vacuum with a long flexible hose and attachments.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2018, 11:28 PM   #8
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
The main reason I have the makita is because as a skin (no battery or charger)it was $80 and i roll with a makita drill and impact driver for work and have 3 5 amp batteries and 1 3 amper. So it's no brainer for me, all the batteries are interchangeable and I use them every day. The dust buster is something everyone's mum or grandma has always had and they do a decent job. Maybe not as well as a reputable tool brand, but for day to day.
Im just a DIY but i got a heap of Ryobi One+ Tools so it was a no brainer for me.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2018, 11:43 PM   #9
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossy View Post
Im just a DIY but i got a heap of Ryobi One+ Tools so it was a no brainer for me.
That's the thing. If you have multiple things that use the same battery then your batteries stay maintained. That aids in longevity
Old 21-07-2018, 11:46 PM   #10
slowsnake
Banned

Hello,
I use 2 dollar dustpan and broom,a 2 inch paintbrush for tight spots, its not hard and cleans as good or better than a 12v plug in job, which only hold a tablespoon of dirt on the cone filter before they fail to suck anything, never mind pebbles!

Cheers Billy.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2018, 01:32 AM   #11
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A bit off track & I realise they're not to everybody's taste, but these work very well as they have a raised surround that catches all the crap & are well made/heavy duty.
https://www.motoquipe.com.au/buy/rm-...RoCgNYQAvD_BwE

Dyson have an excellent rechargeable hand held and they make a 'Çar Cleaning Kit' which works well.
https://shop.dyson.com.au/accessorie...-kit-908909-09
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

+1 for the Dyson stick vacuum.
Old 22-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Yes; I've also become a Dyson stick vacuum car cleaner. The 12V don't have the power, the mains ones take too much effort and many of the other rechargeable can't compete with the power and versatility of the Dyson for car cleaning. It's also great for my nightly vacuuming of the spiders away from the high mounted security cameras I have outside my house.
Old 22-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #14
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Are you talking about the trusted dust buster? I have one of those for home but for work I have a 18v battery makita vac that does the job for small areas but I have a proper vac for larger mess.
Tonz was worried about cords etc the 12v plug in Vacuum at SCA has a 4.5m cord as an example.

A dustbuster style of Vac would be good for the quick cleanup of dirt and gravel but has limatations as others have pointed out.
A Vac to do the lot you could all the way to a Dyson handheld with add ons.

My sister uses a Dyson hand held to clean the car as the Dog travels in the cargo area of the SUV everyday.

Last edited by EBSXR6; 22-07-2018 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Context
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2018, 09:13 PM   #15
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have not used one so can't say if they are good or not.
But by going by what you are asking and the price it would be worth checking out.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-po...m-kit_p0022439
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #16
Warrenk

Aldi have a 20v hand held workshop vacuum cleaner for $35 which you will need to purchase a battery(4ah) for $40 and charger for $20. They had them a week ago in their catalog, but still have them in stock.

Warren
Old 23-07-2018, 04:13 PM   #17
eaglem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
no hadn't thought about hand held cordless...suggestions from those who use them please.

Black & Decker make a good Lithium Ion battery powered car vac which I find very good

https://www.blackanddecker.com.au/en...-tool/pd1420lp

eaglem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2018, 05:59 PM   #18
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Dyson all the way.