Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Site Sponsor Forums - In Alphabetical Order > Race Brakes Sydney

Race Brakes Sydney Street and race performance pad / rotor combinations as well as brake upgrades and Exedy clutch kits. Website Link

Old 19-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
crazy.mofo

Default bedding in procedure

Hey guys thank you so much for your quick delivery, i recieved my DBA 4000 front rotors and DS performance pads on thursday. Going to install them during the week, but just want to run this bed in process past you.

Going to install the rotors and do this which i pulled off another forum:

All Cast Iron Disc rotors require bedding in to ensure heat stabilisation and to increase resistance to cracking. Cracks can occur during the first few heavy stops if bedding is not carried out.

This is a Standard proceedure for rotors with Thermo Graphic paint applied.
* Use previously bedded pads
* For a minimum of 15 km use brakes gently at first from initially low speeds ( 60 km/h ) Progressively raise speed ( 80 to 100 km/h ) but still using gentle braking applications. This raises the rotor temperature gradually.
* For the final 2 or 3 applications brakes can be used quite hard but not enough to engage ABS or wheel lock up.
* Drive for a minimum of 15 km at low speed with minimum braking to allow the rotors to cool.

The Green (458 deg C )heat paint should have fully turned white and possibly the Orange( 550 deg C )paint turned yellow on the outside edges of the rotors when bedded correctly.

After this i will be installing the pads but i'm unsure about the correct bed in procedure for new pads. What process would you recommend because everyone has a different opinion and i don't want to make a mistake.

crazy.mofo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
FLOORED
Race Brakes Sydney

Default Re: bedding in procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy.mofo
Hey guys thank you so much for your quick delivery, i recieved my DBA 4000 front rotors and DS performance pads on thursday. Going to install them during the week, but just want to run this bed in process past you.

Going to install the rotors and do this which i pulled off another forum:

All Cast Iron Disc rotors require bedding in to ensure heat stabilisation and to increase resistance to cracking. Cracks can occur during the first few heavy stops if bedding is not carried out.

This is a Standard proceedure for rotors with Thermo Graphic paint applied.
* Use previously bedded pads
* For a minimum of 15 km use brakes gently at first from initially low speeds ( 60 km/h ) Progressively raise speed ( 80 to 100 km/h ) but still using gentle braking applications. This raises the rotor temperature gradually.
* For the final 2 or 3 applications brakes can be used quite hard but not enough to engage ABS or wheel lock up.
* Drive for a minimum of 15 km at low speed with minimum braking to allow the rotors to cool.

The Green (458 deg C )heat paint should have fully turned white and possibly the Orange( 550 deg C )paint turned yellow on the outside edges of the rotors when bedded correctly.

After this i will be installing the pads but i'm unsure about the correct bed in procedure for new pads. What process would you recommend because everyone has a different opinion and i don't want to make a mistake.

That would do the job but rotors and pads can be fitted at the same time to bed in .We generally say to get the car to a speed of about 70km and apply medium to firm brake pedal pressure to get down to 15 or so km's and then drive 150 mtrs and repeat that step about 7 or so times and once you have done this then two firmer brake applications and then you can turn around and head back home with minimum brake applications for a cool down.

Street to track is what we expertise in

Phone 02 9609 1101

sales@racebrakessydney.com.au

www.racebrakessydney.com.au
FLOORED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Ozzyiceman
Formula F6 - Hmmmm!

Firstly, thanks Matt for your advice and service - outstanding!

Spoke to you Tues, received quotes for front Rotors/Pads same day, deposited funds overnight, Wed Rotors/Pads posted to Melbourne, arrived Thur. Installed today and run in, and I'm a happy man!

RE bedding in - I did the 8 x 60kph to 15/20kph medium, followed by 3 x 60 to 15/20kph firm, all this over about 2klms. Parked and let the brakes cool down for 30 mins then repeated the process, but with 2 final hard stops to 15/20kph but not engaging ABS.

No noise, no vibration/shudder so far.

For those interested I went with Brembo slotted rotors and Remsa pads.

Thanks again Matt.

Dave
'02 Explorer - V6 - Mineral Grey
One Day! '69 RoadRunner or '71 Plymouth Cuda or '66 Pontiac GTO
Too much horsepower is just about enough." - Carroll Shelby
Ozzyiceman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
FLOORED
Race Brakes Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzyiceman
Firstly, thanks Matt for your advice and service - outstanding!

Spoke to you Tues, received quotes for front Rotors/Pads same day, deposited funds overnight, Wed Rotors/Pads posted to Melbourne, arrived Thur. Installed today and run in, and I'm a happy man!

RE bedding in - I did the 8 x 60kph to 15/20kph medium, followed by 3 x 60 to 15/20kph firm, all this over about 2klms. Parked and let the brakes cool down for 30 mins then repeated the process, but with 2 final hard stops to 15/20kph but not engaging ABS.

No noise, no vibration/shudder so far.

For those interested I went with Brembo slotted rotors and Remsa pads.

Thanks again Matt.

Dave
Thanks for the feedback and support. Now that you have done everything i said to do you should be hassal free so again thanks for the positive feedback and support.

Phone 02 9609 1101

Old 05-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Hi Matt,

Does this bedding in procedure apply to brand new DBA T3 rotors and Ferodo pads fitted at the same time?

Any special steps for these please mate?

Thanks in advance.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
FLOORED
Race Brakes Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
Hi Matt,

Does this bedding in procedure apply to brand new DBA T3 rotors and Ferodo pads fitted at the same time?

Any special steps for these please mate?

Thanks in advance.
All brakes should really be bedded in by this procedure but many people don't do it and get away with it.In my opinion all manufacturers should put a bedding in procedure on there product boxes.

Phone 02 9609 1101

2 users like this post: