Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-12-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Speeding Fine 8km over $2900 !!!!

Last edited by csv8; 18-12-2014 at 10:14 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #2
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 
Default Re: Speeding Fine 8km over $2900 !!!!

Surely thats an error, as wife got done doing similar recently and it cost $185.

Or penalty due is an accumulation of previous fines outstanding?
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Surely thats an error, as wife got done doing similar recently and it cost $185.

Or penalty due is an accumulation of previous fines outstanding?
Did a Google : Victoria has increased the penalty for undisclosed drivers from $866 to $2952 while a company that fails to nominate a driver on more than three occasions in a 12-month period can be hit with a fine of more than $17,000.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1227126303302
Old 07-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's because it's a business vehicle. The person driving can claim that they were in fact the driver and the fine will be reduced to the normal amount. I think it's to stop drivers avoiding the fines/points and doing the whole "we aren't sure who was driving, lots of people drove the car that day".
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
CQB-241
Car tragic

At that level of "speed" it's revenue raising whatever the reason.
CQB-241 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #6
malazn mafia
Boss 335

They say don't steal, the government doesnt like competition. But this is on a whole new level. We might as well be printing stacks of 100 dollar notes to get even with these ******.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-12-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Mate got exactly the same and freaked..
As mentioned above, it is for a company vehicle if you can't nominate a driver.
Send back nominated driver details and it drops to normal $185 or so.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #8
Lunch
Wait, what?

You know what i dont understand.. Receiving a fine and demerit points for the same driving offence, thats 2 punishments for 1 offence.
I know very well how hard it is when you lose your licence and now more than ever its very easy to lose it, 4 offences in 3 years can see it gone for 6 months, thats a long time relying on other people and gone are the days where you can get away with driving while suspended ( not that i condone such a thing ) repeat offenders if theyre lucky get community service, if theyre not its jail and that makes me think that surely demerit points are enough, therefore i can only see 1 logical reason for the fine.....
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #9
ACTIV8

Yeah, steal cars, sell dope, snatch handbags, just don't speed while your trying to get away and you'll be fine, just a slap on wrist.

It's nothing to do with raising money though, safety mate, those 8 extra klms...lethal!!!
ACTIV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
wranger

If it was really about safety, the fines for <15kmh over would be small without any demerit points, but once you get clocked more than ~20kmh over it's open season.

But of course the lives of people doing 90 in an 80 would be at risk so that will never happen.
wranger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2014, 12:12 PM   #11
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

while people continually repeatedly break the road rules the punishments will continue to rise

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #12
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While SA normally leads the way in excessive fine amounts, I got one recently for over 500 (company car) which dropped to just over 200 when I signed a stat dec and copped the points.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 07-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #13
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch View Post
You know what i dont understand.. Receiving a fine and demerit points for the same driving offence, thats 2 punishments for 1 offence.
I know very well how hard it is when you lose your licence and now more than ever its very easy to lose it, 4 offences in 3 years can see it gone for 6 months, thats a long time relying on other people and gone are the days where you can get away with driving while suspended ( not that i condone such a thing ) repeat offenders if theyre lucky get community service, if theyre not its jail and that makes me think that surely demerit points are enough, therefore i can only see 1 logical reason for the fine.....
From what I gather is the business cops the fine if the driver is undisclosed. Increasing the undisclosed driver fine, is supposed to encourage businesses to pass on the fine (plus points) to their drivers. Drivers are valuable to these businesses and having them off road is big risk...

What I think is not fair is businesses that need to use the roads 100 times more then the average driver, have different rules for fines, but the same rules for points.

People make mistakes and the more time you're on the road, the more mistakes you'll make no matter how careful you are.

My opinion only, but I think the points system for businesses needs a review...
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #14
WHYME
Next up?

Don't speed, it's simple.

WHYME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #15
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully6 View Post
Assuming the limit is reasonable for that stretch of road. Virtually all the NSW RTA's fixed camera sites had 85th percentile speeds well above the speed limit. It suggests the problem may not necessarily be with the drivers, but with the people setting the limits.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #16
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
From what I gather is the business cops the fine if the driver is undisclosed. Increasing the undisclosed driver fine, is supposed to encourage businesses to pass on the fine (plus points) to their drivers. Drivers are valuable to these businesses and having them off road is big risk...
There's no question the system gets abused. But by the same token, these fines don't appear the day the offence happens, they are sent out weeks after the fact. People aren't always 100% certain who was driving a shared car at a specific time, and in order to nominate a driver, you have to be 100% certain - a stat dec is a legal document.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #17
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hence why a lot of workplaces with "pool cars" (like my wife's work) make each person sign a key log whenever they take & return keys for the shared cars. The log also includes the time in & out, and is witnessed by the admin on duty at the time.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #18
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
There's no question the system gets abused. But by the same token, these fines don't appear the day the offence happens, they are sent out weeks after the fact. People aren't always 100% certain who was driving a shared car at a specific time, and in order to nominate a driver, you have to be 100% certain - a stat dec is a legal document.
Any company that can't track which of their employees is responsible for a vehicle deserve the higher fines.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2014, 05:53 PM   #19
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is a $3k fine at all proportional to the severity of the offence? Remember, some companies get less for dumping waste into rivers etc. IMO, we've lost the plot.
5 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #20
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is a $3k fine at all proportional to the severity of the offence? Remember, some companies get less for dumping waste into rivers etc. IMO, we've lost the plot.
And how many people have kept their licenses by using the company loophole by paying a higher fine.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #21
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Boson, you seem to argue for the sake of it. The $2,952 equals no demerit points, have an individual cop to the offence, much lower fine with demerit points.

Do I sound self righteous? Might because I've had no fines for 10 years.

Learn how to use your cruise control.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #22
Paul302351

We used to have manufacturing in this country.
We used to export fruit and veg and wool and all sorts of stuff.

Now 'speed kills' is that part of the economy.

its a ****in disgrace
Paul302351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2014, 09:32 PM   #23
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
Boson, you seem to argue for the sake of it. The $2,952 equals no demerit points, have an individual cop to the offence, much lower fine with demerit points.
Again, how is $3k at all proportional to the offence?

It scares me how easily we all roll over and accept ever more draconian policies. Are you horrified at the police state the US has become (eg. excessive force, false charges, harassment, etc)? There are plenty within the police service who hope we go down that same path....
3 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2014, 09:43 PM   #24
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

For big companies $3k may be peanuts its like be able to buy points if you can afford too, very wrong..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #25
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who is dictating the cost of these fines. Apparently the fixed speed cameras in NSW are operated by Macquarie Bank. WTF.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.

Last edited by xr8territory; 07-12-2014 at 09:50 PM. Reason: missed NSW
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2014, 10:02 PM   #26
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully6 View Post

There's always one.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #27
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In NSW you used to be able to register private cars in joint names, and even in "the estate of" but the stopped this - went to transfer a car in 2009 and they said it could now only be in an individual's name. Existing rego in joint names remained unchanged until you sell it or let the reg run out (one of our other cars is still joint). When I asked the reason why, I was told it was to counteract the issue of camera fines that were being issued without any points, because the driver couldn't be indentified.

There was a story in one of the Sydney papers around the time they first announced massive fines for undeclared speedsters, and several big business figures were investigated over their own cars (things like Rollers & Lambos, that you could almost guarantee no one else in the company would be allowed to drive) being registered to the company name, and being pinged multiple times on speed cameras. Company would pay the fine by company cheque, and the penalty points never made their way to the culprit. Some of those people would have lost their licence 2 or 3 times over, but money talks, and they continually escaped the penalties. The average Joe Public would never be able to access these sorts of loopholes.

They raised the monetary value to the point where they hoped it would be enough for a company to come clean, and give up the driver's identity, but in the examples above, that is unlikely to ever happen......
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #28
yanknbank
Very regular

Whoever stuck their hand up in the chamber to pass that particular bit of legislation, should've been dragged outside and given a severe flogging. It's almost got to the point where some of our idiot politicians need to suffer some sort of severe physical penalty for being so outlandishly stupid, because nothing else seems to be getting through.

We're overruled, over governed, and they're out of control.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:59 AM   #29
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8 View Post
Any company that can't track which of their employees is responsible for a vehicle deserve the higher fines.
How do you keep track of which apprentice mechanic test drives your car when it's in for a service?
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2014, 04:01 AM   #30
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
They raised the monetary value to the point where they hoped it would be enough for a company to come clean, and give up the driver's identity, but in the examples above, that is unlikely to ever happen......
Set up a shelf company ($1000 cost?).

Register the car in that company's name.

Get a $2,952 fine.

Shut the company down and sell car to replacement shelf company.

Stupid, but cheaper.
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: