Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-04-2019, 10:31 PM   #1
tjb45
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Help me buy a 4 post hoist

Hi all, after some advise from those that have a 4 post hoist. I'm ready to pull the trigger on one, I just cant decided which brand to go for. I've used a both 2 and 4 post Molnar hoists at work a lot, and love the flexibility of a 4 post over a 2.
I think a Molnar will be out of my price bracket, so have been looking Tufflift, Hero Hoists and Autolift. Each seem to have some advantages and draw backs and all are going to cost between 5-6K once shipped and having a hydraulic jacking beam included.

I'm looking at the 4 tonne versions of each with caster kits to be able to move it. I need a wide runway width (over 1940mm) and high under ramp clearance, the 4 tonne versions seems to be the best way to get both of these requirements.

Tufflift TL4.0PH - Heaps of good reviews, good gauge steel, 2 Tonne rolling jack, comes with some extras such as wheel stops and chocks.

Hero Hoist Lift King 9XL - Very strong looking beams with sleeved crossbars, alloy ramps, 2.5T jacking beam

Autolift AL-440S1 - Some good reviews on this forum, quite wide over all compared to the other two, also the lift height is about 200mm less. Jacking beams doesn't seems as flexible.

I'm only really considering the Autolift because of the reviews I've read on this forum, otherwise I'm sort of leaning towards the Tufflift it seems better value with some extra items, but would love to hear any reviews from people that have either, or have dealt with either company, or if there is other options I should be looking at..

Thanks.
tjb45 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2019, 12:10 AM   #2
Fordblue1000

Default Re: Help me buy a 4 post hoist

Hi mate.

I got 2 tufflift hoists - both 2 post.
Very happy with them and easy as to install on my own.
No issues with transport but had to pick them up from a depot as i had no way of unloading them from the truck at my end. The transport company let me take on ea t a time as my trailer could not take both together.

These are made to workplace complience standards so it gave me a good piece of mind.

Had them for over 3 years now and no issuse at all. I did rewire them for a remote switch so i did not have to be at the motor to operate them, and also made a remote cable release wich makes life so much easier to work with the lowering as well.

I am now looking at getting a 4 post unit like you are looking at. Much cheaper than a new shed in the end - plus the extra work and storage will be a advantage.

Mine are single phase and no issues with the motor supplies as i have a feed to each one.

Also may pay to check if they are fewighting other units around as i did save a few hundred by waiting a few weeks for delivery as they combined a few on the one freight charge.

There will be alot of rubbish that comes with them like everything was wrapt in plastic. Filled the weelie bin up quiclky - but no scratches at all.

Colors are good as i like the blue and yellow being a paramatta fan from way back!

Will be getting through them again no problems.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk
1963 morris.
1920 model T
Fordblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-04-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might I suggest that before you purchase a hoist, you call each of those companies and tell them you have one coming up to 10 years old that needs to be re-certified. If they refuse, you know that's what service you'll get when you need to get it re-certified in 10 years...

A place I used to work for had this problem- the hoists they had were coming up to the re-cert date and the manufacturer refused to do it. Instead, the insisted on replacing all internal components at a cost of...basically a new hoist. Outrageous.

This all may depend on the hoist type too. Some may not need re-cert but I'm not 100% sure.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

We had a tufflift 4 poster installed at work. They recon it doesn’t have to be bolted down and you can move a car around on the hoist with the dolley wheels they provide. Sounds good but it takes a few guys to do it and the dolley frames are a little sketchy/weak. We did operate the hoist a lot before bolting it down with no problems.
After 4-6 months the cables had to be re tensioned, standard for any new hoist I assume after settling in.
The lock in system is a bit dodgy. It works on a adjustable linkage And cause all posts operate individually you need to be sure all pins are past the lock position before lowering the deck or one corner will slip past the lock notch and could fail.
For the price it goes alright, just remember you get what you pay for and it not intended for industrial use.

This is the same hoist we have.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post