Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-02-2005, 08:40 AM   #1
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Default Abandoned cars

I know someone who has scored an xy or xw fairmont sedan for nothing.

The story goes a guy was renting a place and just left. Leaving all his stuff behind on the owners property. Apparently he was behind in rent and just took off.

The car was left behind and the owner started dismanteling it. He took the boot off and sold it. The person I know managed to chat to the land owner about it and he said the car was abandoned so you can have it.

The car is unregistered.

What is the protocol here? Is it legal to just take a car that was abandoned and claim it as your own? How do you prove to the rta etc that the car was abandoned and to register it in your name as the owner etc?

What other legalities are there?

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 08:55 AM   #2
LTDHO
The one and only

Make sure there is no finance on it. Although it is an old car it may have, I've seen it happen, then if you own it, you own the finance too!

As the car was left as part mayment of rent, the owner of the property can sell it to who they like. Get a receipt. Even if you pay $20 for it...
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 09:00 AM   #3
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

its not me who is getting it.

the guy i know got it for free. no cash paid at all.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #4
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

you will need proof of purchase! A written receipt with something of value (even $1)exchanged for the car and some signatures will suffice. I'm curious how the landholder took up ownership, as he would probably need something for proof also to make the sale legitimate to your mate!
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 01:18 PM   #5
rob_o

Just write up a dodgy receipt for a small sum of money. I did this to my current car as it was given to my dad 8 years ago unregistered. Time came to register it and we needed proof of purchase. All they need is something that says u own it, it doesnt have to be legit.
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 03:22 PM   #6
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

I dont think legal ownership of a chattel can be taken without some sort of agreed transfer or a court order..... having said this, i dont think anyone will miss it.

Your state rego office would be the people to ask...
Old 01-02-2005, 03:37 PM   #7
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

No, you cannot take ownership, there are guidlines for abandoned property that needs to be followed.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 04:23 PM   #8
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_o
Just write up a dodgy receipt for a small sum of money. I did this to my current car as it was given to my dad 8 years ago unregistered. Time came to register it and we needed proof of purchase. All they need is something that says u own it, it doesnt have to be legit.
Yeah Fraud is always an option.

When the vehicle has been rebuilt and restored, the original own then come back, legally re-take posession of his restored car and have ya mate charged for fraud....
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 04:27 PM   #9
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

In QLd you notify the police that the car is abandoned.. They then come and inspect the car, take a quick statement re- the length of time and or situation that explains the abondonment. The police then run a check and try and notify the last owner, once that is complete they forward the details onto (cant remember the department now grr) and that department will issue you a pink slip that you can then take to the D.O.T and register the car.. Once you have this slip it is legally yours..

That is how I got my Mercedes :o)

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 04:52 PM   #10
RUQ1KA
Formerly mad_ed_wagon

how does it work around here in VIC? the back of the estate i live in is a h0aven for abandoned cars, and i know a few more places where i used to go with scouts that always had something abandoned, but ive always been to scared to touch the car incase it was stolen etc...

so does any one know how to gain ownership of an abandoned car in victoria? with out going to an auction for it

Build thread coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerCordia
I had two cordias but recently i sold one of them so that leaves me with one cordia which i have now but i wouldve had two if i havent sold the other one.
RUQ1KA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 05:39 PM   #11
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Thats how I got my project car. Was left in a security car park, the building owners couldn't contact owner, and there was a letter sent around saying that from a certain date the car was to be disposed of. My father applied to the corporate body to take it, and once the time was up they gave it to him. He checked REVS and s forth, and got a letter from the building owners stating that the car had been abandoned, and after following legal advice the car was turned over to him.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 05:39 PM   #12
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

almost the same thing hapend to me.

i contract to the D.O.H and was payed to clean up a house for new tenents.
the last one took off and left everything including a 1992 volvo and a box trailer.all i did was write a receipt to me from my work for the volvo done a revs check got a blue slip and regoed it.turned out the owner was in jail and tryed to sue the D.O.H for dumping his car (and all his other shit) and lost.
i ended up selling it and never herd a thing about it.
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 10:14 PM   #13
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont see a problem with the landlord giving it to you (with a quick note saying that he is signing it over to you)

my issue is that i dont know for sure that it is his to give to you....even though it was left on his property i bet there are some steps that should be taken to make the changeover from the old owner to him legit (ie. make sure the authorities know it was abandoned and take the steps required)
Old 02-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #14
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickford2001
i dont see a problem with the landlord giving it to you (with a quick note saying that he is signing it over to you)

my issue is that i dont know for sure that it is his to give to you....even though it was left on his property i bet there are some steps that should be taken to make the changeover from the old owner to him legit (ie. make sure the authorities know it was abandoned and take the steps required)
This is the part that concerns me also. There would need to be some evidence of the change of ownership between the landlord and abandoned car owner.
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post