Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-08-2017, 08:40 AM   #31
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: People opening their doors on your car in carparks.

My tip is to go to the shops early or late. This gives you the best chance to get the best spots where no one can park next to you. Every car park has a few of them.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-08-2017, 10:25 AM   #32
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
2. Being the type that go's to great lengths to park far, far away form other cars to avoid damage, to then find someone has parked right next to me, in a virtually empty car park is a great source of wonderment and frustration. Now it may be a safe bet to park next to someone like me, because I certainly wont be dinging my doors on someone else's vehicle, but have some respect and perhaps leave a spot or three.
This happens to me weekly. Even if I park in the most bizarre, inconvenient area of a car park in an area no one parks in. Sure enough someone will roll straight up and park right beside me. It's a psychological thing I think with some people. I've parked countless times where I am the only person in the car park and someone will still roll up right beside me.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2017, 10:51 AM   #33
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day , Wouldn't someone make a mint if they invented some sort of stick on rub strip that you could retro fit and remove as you saw fit or would that be counter productive so that people would take even less care BECAUSE the rub strip was there ?
I work at a school so whenever I take the XR6 to work which isn't often I'm always nervous about some kid or big kid ramming open their door onto my car.
It happens because on the old AU I'll find the odd new mark/indent on the paint that I'm pretty sure has resulted from somebody parking too close. I know space is a premium in big car parks but if they allowed an extra few centimetres in the bays and if some people actually centred their cars properly this would be less of a frustration for all.
Cheers Rod.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2017, 11:23 AM   #34
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day ..First , watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hojPHhLUuJ4 . Hmmm...Some people.. Second thing . If at all possible don't park next to a Dalek (unless you're Dr Who of course) because they'll "Exterminate , exterminate" if you scrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrratch or dent them although they have their own dent puller suction cup.
In England they have a couple of shows all about car parking . One is Car Park Wars and the other is Parking Mad..both have YT episodes...Quite funny by the looks of it .
Cheers Rod.
Old 13-08-2017, 11:33 AM   #35
Vormund

I look for cars with children seats in them, and avoid like the plague. Kids have no awareness of stuff like this.

Which is ironic since I have 2 baby seats in my car. I will be teaching my boys when they are old enough to be careful around other peoples property.

edit: Just remembered, I do grab the pram parks when the boys are with me since those parks are generally super wide.
Vormund is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #36
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day Don't pee off a Dalek with a nice victory gold paint job like this one in the car park. They come with park assist , lane departure warning , blind spot monitoring but lousy standard castors..Got a decent DAB radio though..They do have projecta headlight but no daytime running lights like the silhoette black one in the clip does..That was the G6E model I think with all the bling.
.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZIx7JQCW0o.
..Richmond Tigers are talking to one incase Dusty Martin doesn't re sign for 2018. If one does he'll need a black paint job with the yellow sash..
Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 13-08-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 13-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #37
byamin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reading this makes me think I should keep a valve core screwdriver in the car . . .

2000 Fairmont Ghia V8 - Liquid Silver
byamin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #38
leesa

Clearly I've ****ed off the imaginary gods becausr I copped a doozy today. People are such assholes. I think I'm going to go for the internal 360 degree camera to record when parked. ****'em, this is a joke.

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #39
dandaman

This guy sums it up perfectly.

https://youtu.be/XYSnWvZU0yc
dandaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #40
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Australian road rules Link:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/s...r210/s269.html

Qld Road Rules:
https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/L...ntOpRURR09.pdf

Road rule 269.

If you have comprehensive insurance it is claimable.

Keep in mind though the at fault person is the one that opened the door or left it open in the first place. Do not confuse this with the owner or driver of the car or in case of like case in point, the at fault person is the child.

Most insurers will state if can can give the name and address of the at fault person an excess will not be payable.

However in this case if you only obtained the mothers details, you have not satisfied the above proviso, you would need the child's full name and address.

As far as weather or not your insurer can recover from the at fault person is a problem for them, not you if you have met what the PDS states you must meet.

In most cases like what was described by the original poster insurers would/should waive the excess if you obtained the at fault persons name and address and as it was a minor would probably not attempt recovery.

YOU CANNOT legally hold a parent/guardian negligent for actions of the child.
Old 13-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #41
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Don't think I've ever had a carpark ding.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #42
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Don't think I've ever had a carpark ding.

But I bet that would be handy in a 'Duel'
Old 13-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #43
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

BMW think they have solved this issue with some new ( couple of years old now ) ****ery tech.
Imagine coming back to your car and finding you have 1cm of space to get into your own car after someone has self parked their Beemer next to you !

https://youtu.be/0fTSijFZC4U

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #44
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Part of the problem is that cars have gotten bigger and shopping centres maximise car spots by making spaces as small as legally possible.
I was talking to a guy who does line marking for a living.

Councils set the number of parking spaces which shopping centres, etc, have to comply with.

As you say, shopping centres allocate an amount of space and then just make the nominated number of spaces fit the area.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #45
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Unfortunately most people don't care about their cars. So you need to vigilante when parking.

I'm lucky the local car park has a spot I can park the car and only one side of the car is at risk. I also park the car in a way I could swing the door open and be pretty safe. Or at least reduce the risk of some a hat jamming up that side.

If the spots taken I'm parking up the back.....which is what I normally do elsewhere. I've moved the car cause someone parked next to me after I parked (don't care what you drive if there is plenty of spots please go away).

I also get go early as to many people can't manoeuvre they car in car parks....which I see as an indication of how these people drive on the road.

At work (private car park) I'll take up two spots. There is a lot more spots then employees so not causing issues but again it stops people parking next to me.

Also I will put the car as centre as I can in a parking spot (if I have to park between cars) ...which seems to be a struggle for people. One of the best ways in my opion to get a ding would be to box someone in....their rubbish parking boxing themselves in.

So far so good no dings in the door. Unfortunately I normally get plenty of Stone chips on the bonnet due to the dirty roads.
Old 13-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #46
.:4:.
Kicking back

I'm sort of, of the opinion that a car says alot about the person. Even if it's something 20 years old and cheap as, if it's neat and tidy then it says something. Even if the paints not the best and there are a few battle scars, if it's clear that some effort has been made to atleast remove the other paint from the wound then it atleast shows some pride. I get that not everyone is in bed with a panel beater or spray painter, and also not all damage is self inflicted, but cars aren't the cheapest things and it **** me to tears when others treat them as a disposable item. I don't drive anything flash. But I own it. I had to pay money that I had to work for to buy it. Pretty simple. Yet people still don't care and to be fair often show signs of not being able to drive. It's not hard to park a car and not wang the car beside with your door.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #47
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I don't drive anything flash. But I own it. I had to pay money that I had to work for to buy it.
I agree with that.

It's only since my mid 40's that we've been able to afford decent cars.

From that point my earlier hard work put us in a good financial position - zero debt, and the ability to purchase stuff without going into debt.

BUT, the earlier life lessons stick with you.

Simply put, I look after my stuff because I haven't always been able to have it.

4 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2017, 06:00 PM   #48
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
But I bet that would be handy in a 'Duel'
G'day..Oh yeah...Here you go..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zq9d9B6O0I and look where it finished up
Bloody England https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZiDbjhUdtM .. Cheers Rod...
Old 13-08-2017, 09:27 PM   #49
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Turns out I'm the Luckiest car parker on this forum (until now that I have jinxed it) In 9 years I have got 2 minor dents from car parks.
One of those was when I worked at a shopping centre for a year and parked in the car park every work day.
I just park away from everyone else whenever possible
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2017, 10:09 PM   #50
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have three rules:
1. Park in an end space or next to a post where only one car can park next to me.
2. Never park next to an SUV. Especially X5's and similar.
3. Never park next to a car with a child seat in it.

I'd have no problem demanding details from someone if I witnessed them do it.

FG XR6T SILHOUETTE - 380rwkw
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2017, 10:16 PM   #51
leesa

For those who just avoid parking near other cars, I gather you don't have to park at a train station all day and take a train in to work!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2017, 10:32 PM   #52
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
For those who just avoid parking near other cars, I gather you don't have to park at a train station all day and take a train in to work!
No but my wife does.

As luck would have it she only has to be in town 1 day per week (for team meeting) but prior to this current arrangement she was in town every day.

She got on the 5.20am train and was home by 3.30pm.

Because of her hours she was always between the same two cars (and still is when she goes in).

I don't know that there's an answer if there's no flexibility in work times.

Old 13-08-2017, 10:41 PM   #53
Itsme
Experienced Member

It is pot luck these days whether you get you get someone decent who parks next to you or just Fk head who does not give a **** about your pride & joy, just an indictment of the way people are these days.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2017, 10:49 PM   #54
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day , Wouldn't someone make a mint if they invented some sort of stick on rub strip that you could retro fit and remove as you saw fit or would that be counter productive so that people would take even less care BECAUSE the rub strip was there ?
I work at a school so whenever I take the XR6 to work which isn't often I'm always nervous about some kid or big kid ramming open their door onto my car.
It happens because on the old AU I'll find the odd new mark/indent on the paint that I'm pretty sure has resulted from somebody parking too close. I know space is a premium in big car parks but if they allowed an extra few centimetres in the bays and if some people actually centred their cars properly this would be less of a frustration for all.
Cheers Rod.
In the seventies and eighties many cars came with thick rubber strips on each side that protected the paint work from carpark dings
Old 14-08-2017, 07:56 AM   #55
GetToTheGone

The girlfriend had someone open their door into her car and while checking to see if any damage was done another car pulled into the park on the other side of her car and did the same thing.
Luckly no damge done, she was not happy though. People just have no respect for others property.
Old 14-08-2017, 08:01 AM   #56
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still think parking in a spot between 2 cars already parked is a ding saver. At least for this part you have control over it.
Old 14-08-2017, 08:44 AM   #57
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanoraptor View Post
The one time I lost it at someone opening a car door on mine, I had finished shopping and was sitting in my daily with the windows down and browsing on my phone. A fellow in a really nice celica with very nice paint pulled up next to me way too close, and opened the door straight into my passenger side.

I said "hey come on...." and he looked down in the window straight at me, said nothing, and walked off.

After he'd gone I opened my passenger door and kicked it from the inside into his repeatedly. I regret losing it and doing that, but can't say I didn't enjoy it immensely.
Mate of mine did a very similar thing many (many) years ago.
Sitting in his '39 Ford hotrod .. had a person pull up and open the door straight into his car. He said "Oi!" to them .. they looked at him and said "its just an old car" and walked off.
He got out and kicked the door of their car as hard as possible.
They looked back and then just kept walking.
It was a stupid spur of the moment thing .. but ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2017, 09:11 AM   #58
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i protect my car by driving my crappy FG rather than my BA GT, also i park further away and if i have to park next to someone i find a spot that has a column or kerb to one side so cars can only hit 1 side and also get as close to that column or kerb as i can. but my FG is an ex compnay car so its covered in dings anyway so don't really care.
my wifes car just had paintless dent removal so now i rarely drive that to the shops for that reason.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 10:02 AM   #59
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

PDR is good address this.

Once I had a brand new F150 and I parked way out where no one was. When I came back there was a car parked ridiculously close to me. Sure as the world a big dent in my door.

Really, why would somebody do that?
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #60
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The worst dents are when the door gets to full pace and extension for maximum damage.

Never park next to a Van.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post