Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #61
RASER
Banned

Default Re: (2011) Ford AU Posts Bigggest Annual Loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
They don't even make them in RHD, so how will that happen.

They made the F250 just for us so i dont see a issue in making the F150 RHD, if a high tech Ferrari can be made in RHD a truck is a no brainer

They used to make 520 a day back in the BA days.

They would already be past the tip over point. The numbers they are making now are insignificant.
Why bother then?
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #62
RASER
Banned

Quote:
You cannot compare the prices of US vehicles with ones sold here. The prices do not even come close to compare.

Just look how much the F series sold for previously when they got them in factory RHD, they were over 70k. And now they no longer come in RHD.
Ford are *not* totally dumb, they sold the F250 for what the customer would pay [not for how much they could sell it for]

Besides @$60k its was around the same coin as a Toyota Landcrusier ute, so not expensive really
Old 09-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #63
Bossxr8
Peter Car

It would cost multi millions to make the F series RHD, to sell how many here, 100 or so a month. Unviable.

Why bother then? They have just spent a lot of money over the last 12-24 months on Ecoboost, FGII, Miami and EcoLPi, they need a chance to sell and to make the money back on what was spent on them. Its not a decision you make overnight. They might have other plans also, so its hard to tell what might happen. It might just be cheaper to operate at a small loss than it is to shutter the place now, they have spent what they have now and will only be spending a little more in 2014 to keep it going through to 2016.

Only they know the real figures so its very hard to make assumptions.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #64
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
Ford are *not* totally dumb, they sold the F250 for what the customer would pay [not for how much they could sell it for]

Besides @$60k its was around the same coin as a Toyota Landcrusier ute, so not expensive really
It was so expensive because it sold in limited volumes. The more you can sell the less you can sell them for in theory. F series was only ever small numbers.

60k is still double what you were claiming they could sell them for. Do you seriously think they could sell them for half the price of the Landcruiser ute?
Old 09-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #65
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
Better tell them to stop all the work on the Falcon update...

Better tell them to stop filming the new FPV commercial...

Better tell them to not worry about that new opportunity for ...

All because of some fancy accounting and some drastic supply issues.

work continues...
I really hope your right....

Although the 3rd point has my interets!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #66
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: (2011) Ford AU Posts Bigggest Annual Loss

Quote:
It was so expensive because it sold in limited volumes. The more you can sell the less you can sell them for in theory. F series was only ever small numbers.

60k is still double what you were claiming they could sell them for. Do you seriously think they could sell them for half the price of the Landcruiser ute?
$60k was for the F250

F150, when i am the CEO, will be sold for $30k, still 25% more than USA but anyway....

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Ford-F_150...._WB/overview/
Old 09-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #67
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Good luck with that.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #68
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Ford post's loss.

World ends.

Forum turns into women's day mag.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #69
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: (2011) Ford AU Posts Bigggest Annual Loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Ford post's loss.

World ends.

Forum turns into women's day mag.
LOL

I said 20 years ago only 1 brand would still be making cars in AUS, its still true, oh and its Toyota
Old 09-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #70
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
on a positive note: ford has advertised the falcon XR6 and Ecoboost on main stream tele.. nine and ten the ads were shown.
There is an Ecoboost add in TV? That is new? What was the add about?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #71
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Good luck with that.

Looks familiar
Old 09-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #72
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my 2cents , car makers fortunes go up and down , that`s the way it is, nissan at one stage ran at a loss that made that look like a drop in the ocean, nissan is still here, how many car makers went through the great depression and are still here? plenty, look at all the cost and hold ups over the past year or two , not to mention the the money spent on updates , new engines,etc,etc,,not to mention the tax hit,
you don`t just catch up with these things in 3 months, give it a couple of years then if nothings changed the doomsayers can sing for there lives.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #73
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Ford global have 3 development hubs for ALL ford vehicles sold into the world market, one of those hubs is in Australia, you think ford is going to turn its back on that???

Remember, the cost of manufacture and development in these 'cheaper' nations will not stay that way, the cost gap is already closing, and in some areas, quite fast.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #74
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

So where are all the tools who keep stating that even though Ford builds less cars than Holden, they make a bigger profit per car?
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 12:59 AM   #75
BroadyFord

This is interesting:

Ford Australia reports worst loss yet

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2012...loss-yet-30186

Ford Australia has reported its worst ever operating loss of $290 million, after two consecutive years in the black. The figure takes in an after-tax operating loss of $78 million and a one-off tax impairment of $212 million. Ford Australia says the tax-impairment is "related principally to tax losses generated in the current year and carried forward from prior years".

Ford's last statement in the red was in 2008, at $274 million.

A downturn in customer demand for large cars and constraints on supply of the all-important new Ranger model during the year was also costly, spokespersons admitted. At the same time, Ford Australia committed $282 million in research and development including projects related to the Ranger and some "which can't be talked about now," Ford Australia spokeswoman Sinead Phipps told motoring.com.au.

"But they stand for an investment in our future," she said. "Reports will say we've been less profitable but our response is that if we hadn't committed investment, it would have been irresponsible."

Ford Australia CEO, Bob Graziano (pictured) said his company had also consciously "walked away from less profitable business" over the past year. He said Ford Australia had remained focussed on delivering results to serve the global One Ford plan, including "leveraging Ford’s global assets" and accelerating development of new products "that customers want and value".

Presumably that no longer includes the Falcon; allowing room for Ford’s small and medium offerings including Focus and Mondeo. Profitability on Focus also stands to do better now that source arrangements from Thailand have been confirmed. Ford's figures suggest a move away from large cars has affected the company's revenue from $3.3 billion down to $2.8 billion.

"There is no doubt that the automotive industry remains very competitive and challenging. However, we continue to invest significantly in our business with an emphasis on more fuel-efficient vehicles and we saw positive share increases for Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo," said Graziano.

"In addition to the five new vehicles we introduced in 2011, we started 2012 by announcing a further $103 million investment across Falcon and Territory and have also just introduced the new Falcon EcoBoost, which provides four-cylinder fuel economy with the performance feel of a six-cylinder vehicle.

"We will continue to focus on driving profitable sales growth across our full range of vehicles and improving our business fundamentals as we move through 2012."

Ford's announcement follows Holden's statement yesterday that the company was operating in the black despite a downturn in profit and revenue.
BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 01:49 AM   #76
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4 door mustang or Taurus time?
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 02:03 AM   #77
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
So where are all the tools who keep stating that even though Ford builds less cars than Holden, they make a bigger profit per car?
That's not quite true..

What was said was that Ford was surviving on one shift because of Falcon and Territory combined value
while the validity of Commodore plus Cruze being built on two shifts was being called into question..

Seems Holden have finally relented and put Elizabeth on one shift, this gets interesting because
Commodore sales have fallen significantly too so neither manufacturer should be crowing.
The collapse in sales for both manufacturers so far this year is really soul destroying stuff...

In fact with the way sales are trending, it's a brave company putting their neck on the block for another five
years or so with sales collapsing from under it. Ford maybe bad but Holden isn't far behind..

All I'll say in closing is that the money has already been spent on vehicle updates and VF is just around the corner
so rather than manufacturers kissing off all that money, it's in their best interests to keep selling what they can.

Sure Ford may not be able to justify a 2016 car but I'm sure the $50 million they have to put in for 2014 is within reach,
that will keep Falcon going for another two years, two years leeyway and more to decide what to do - without spending cash.

Last edited by jpd80; 10-05-2012 at 02:25 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #78
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
There is an Ecoboost add in TV? That is new? What was the add about?
there in one ad as 36K drive away, no specific ad on ecoboost...
something like this..

(voice over) drive the new XR6 and ecoboost range, now at you ford dealer 36,000 drive away

(video)burgandy coloured car..
(fine print) G6E falcon shown, available to not all dealers..blah blah blah

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a second ad just features a blue XR6 with the same advert line 36K drive away.

blue XR6 ute shown in ad.

Last edited by burnz; 10-05-2012 at 06:58 AM.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #79
madmatty
dipstick

ford aus said they spent 40 million developing the new miami engine and exhaust for it.It is probably the best engine ever in australia but how would they make it viable,how much profit in one fpv v8?

ford is in big trouble, 78 million loss one year 290 loss the next.that means if they make 400 million profit next year they are even.companys are meant to make money not bleed it.
madmatty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #80
prydey
Rob

Quote:
LOL

I said 20 years ago only 1 brand would still be making cars in AUS, its still true, oh and its Toyota
ahh the irony
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #81
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Too many poeple forgetting that Ford have made losses before, and made profits.

People are forgetting that there have been money spent on product development.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #82
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Its going to be a sad day when they stop making Falcon. A car we all love and have fond memories. I hope at least if they stop making the Falcon here and replace it with a Global car that it can be called a Falcon just so the name doesn't die. Would be sad too see the name disappear
Old 10-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #83
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
LOL

all hail the prophet of doom.. LOL....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #84
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo
Its going to be a sad day when they stop making Falcon. A car we all love and have fond memories. I hope at least if they stop making the Falcon here and replace it with a Global car that it can be called a Falcon just so the name doesn't die. Would be sad too see the name disappear
Do the FG II have a Falcon badge? I cannot remember seeing one.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #85
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I saw an FGII XR6 the other day and it didnt have a Falcon badge.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #86
robbo/region15

With all the down days ,how much loss will that create in $$$$$$$$$.....
*Rumour is Ecoboost Engines are to be shipped back to Germany?Fitment Issues........
robbo/region15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #87
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo/region15
*Rumour is Ecoboost Engines are to be shipped back to Germany?Fitment Issues........
OK seriously I have been seeing some of your posts and while it seems you might have some close links with Ford can you please explain the logic behind what you just said.

Because all of the development work, crash tests, and press cars and current cars for sale dont have engines that fit.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #88
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo/region15
Yet the press info says they're built in Spain. Care to elaborate?
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #89
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Lol. Pwned.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #90
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
b. How about lowering the RRP prices to reflect the actual amounts people pay for Falcons, after all many buyers get put off when they see the ridiculous Falcon RRP prices.
This I agree with. Why is it that that RRP is so rediculously high? I was surprised to see this when I was investigating a new car. It makes for unfair comparisons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
c. How about getting these basic electronic features finally implemented in the Falcon, yes things like auto up windows that most cars had since the 90s.
This is petty. It's not a deal breaker whether the car has auto up windows. All the cars I owned in the 90's didn't have auto up on their windows either.
The new XT has ipod, bluetooth, reverse sensors, cruise, power driver's seat, auto lights etc. I don't remember cars in the 90's having a lot of electronic features.

Technologies like ABS seemed to be available in the Falcon a lot earlier than some other mainstream models or imports.