Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-08-2018, 07:14 PM   #31
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Default Re: Living in Tasmania

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132 View Post
New Zealand might be a better option. Similar weather and pace , better scenery and economically not as depressed.
Ahhhhhh NO!!!!!!
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2018, 07:56 PM   #32
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
New Zealand might be a better option. Similar weather and pace , better scenery and economically not as depressed.
Housing very very very expensive in Auckland and in Queenstown.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2018, 08:38 PM   #33
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Got to agree, especially the South Island. I thought Launceston was an absolute hole. I liked Strahan thou................
Old 22-08-2018, 09:26 PM   #34
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Got to agree, especially the South Island. I thought Launceston was an absolute hole. I liked Strahan thou................
Bit scruffy someone from the QLD sunshine coast calling Launceston a hole.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-08-2018, 11:09 PM   #35
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Be better if people could respond with first hand factual experiences of Tasmania to usefully respond to OPs query rather than resorting to cheap slurs and insults regarding Tasmania

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2018, 07:14 AM   #36
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Bit scruffy someone from the QLD sunshine coast calling Launceston a hole.
Why scruffy ? There were some beautiful places in Tassie. Just didn't think Launceston was one of them..........
I can see why you would want to leave the Gold Coast thou. Sunshine Coast heading the same way...............
Old 23-08-2018, 07:37 AM   #37
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I understand leaving the GC, it does nothing for me, but then most populated areas don't.

Tassy is great, I'd live there in a second, but it is too cold for me.

I've seen a fair bit of OZ, and I've found some places on the mainland to have a similar vibe to Tassy, but without the cold.

Start exploring OZ.

Edit - Although if you have no problem with the cold, go for Tassy!
3 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #38
GTMOND

I moved to Tasmania nearly 7 years ago with my wife and kids from Queensland. We were originally going for 12 months to see what we thought of it. All I can say is, we’re still there 7 years on. Absolutely love the place, the best thing we’ve done.
We found the people really nice, and as far as the price of utilities, much cheaper than what we paid in Queensland, rego, power ect.
I do FIFO to Port Hedland in W.A, so come summer time when it’s 40 plus degrees at work, stepping of the plane into the cool Tassie air always brings a smile to my face.
I would add photos of some places but not sure how to do that yet.
We live about 25 minutes West of Launny. Hopefully we can buy some acreage next year and settle for good.
So many things to do and see, east coast has absolutely beautiful beaches, west coast has the mountains, and the North has the rolling hills and prime dairy country. The best part is everything is close.
Only down side is getting a vehicle to the mainland can be quite expensive, especially with a trailer behind.
GTMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2018, 09:29 PM   #39
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/progra...dream/10170684
Old 03-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #40
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just back from Geeveston in the far south west.

Its a wild place west of there and roads don't go much further.

Get out to the west coast if you like surfing. I don't care how cold it is. Those waves!
Bugger me, I've never seen an ocean that wild. It's awesome!

Huon valley...apples and salmon. By the gazillion. Caught 16 salmon bare handed - no joke.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2018, 07:22 AM   #41
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTMOND View Post
I moved to Tasmania nearly 7 years ago with my wife and kids from Queensland. We were originally going for 12 months to see what we thought of it. All I can say is, we’re still there 7 years on. Absolutely love the place, the best thing we’ve done.
We found the people really nice, and as far as the price of utilities, much cheaper than what we paid in Queensland, rego, power ect.
I do FIFO to Port Hedland in W.A, so come summer time when it’s 40 plus degrees at work, stepping of the plane into the cool Tassie air always brings a smile to my face.
I would add photos of some places but not sure how to do that yet.
We live about 25 minutes West of Launny. Hopefully we can buy some acreage next year and settle for good.
So many things to do and see, east coast has absolutely beautiful beaches, west coast has the mountains, and the North has the rolling hills and prime dairy country. The best part is everything is close.
Only down side is getting a vehicle to the mainland can be quite expensive, especially with a trailer behind.
Thats a pretty good setup.

One question though, the utopia would be working locally, is there anything for you in the area?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2018, 04:45 PM   #42
roKWiz
Cabover nut

[QUOTE=Mercury Bullet;6184543]
Bugger me, I've never seen an ocean that wild. It's awesome!
QUOTE]

Mercury, You should see Steward Island at the bottom of NZ.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-09-2018, 06:41 PM   #43
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can imagine rokwiz, I have a theory that there is no big landmass to stop those swells so they just roll across the planet.

Sitting on the beach watching them is an eye opener, the power is on open display.
I doubt I'd be happy out there on the qe2 with a bottle of rum.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2018, 07:44 PM   #44
twangster
herding cats as usual...

Being born and bred in Launceston I may be a bit biased, but I highly recommend it as a place of residence. Like anywhere, Tassie has its good and bad points, but so does everywhere.

During my former career I travelled Australia extensively, and when ill health forced my retirement, I returned to Launceston (but of course it feels like home to me).

One bonus I really like about Tasmania is you can pretty much get from anywhere to anywhere else and back home in a day, and experience pretty much any form of natural beauty whilst doing it, and as has been said, only about an hour plane ride to Melbourne.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #45
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Why scruffy ? There were some beautiful places in Tassie. Just didn't think Launceston was one of them..........
I can see why you would want to leave the Gold Coast thou. Sunshine Coast heading the same way...............
I left the Gold Coast 25 years ago, it was a good place once to live but not now.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2018, 05:17 PM   #46
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
I spent a week in Launceston in July of this year. It was cold, the city was very quiet and it had only a few good restaurants (many not open) but it was better than I expected. I been there and all over Tassie a few times and will go back again for holiday visits.

BTW , remember, if you don't want to seen as an outsider Launceston is more correctly pronounced "Lonston" although you'll get away with 'Lonceston" or just "Lonny".

I also love Tassie especially the scenery. I also don't mind the snow and cold. But one thing stops me living there; it is the only state where I have regularly experienced outright rude in my face racists comments about being in the company of my adopted Filipino children. It never happens in any other state. This has happened numerous times and although the people in charge of the related cafe and hotels have always apologised and kicked the offenders out I could not live there and put up with this bigotry. While the problem seems to be with a minority of rednecks in the population, and most Tasmanians are polite and friendly, I could not tolerate it long term. It does appear to have a very insular population and if you look at the demographics of Tasmanian you'll will also see where some of these insular views may have come from. (See http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@....4?OpenDocument ) They have fewer people by percentage of population of Asian and Irish country of birth (I thing think all the Irish prisoner of the colonial era fled to Victoria as soon as they could) than other states for example but more by percentage from US, South Africa and the Netherlands. There is also of course no real indigenous population. It may also be climate related of course in terms of what deters people from mainly warmer parts of the world moving to Tasmania. Surprisingly though, Tasmania seems to have more Indian curry restaurants than any other Australian State (they seem to be everywhere both in Hobart and Lonny - the cold weather I guess). It is noticeably slowly improving as more people from other State move there and the population becomes more cosmopolitan but it still has a way to go.

Oh I also have to say Lonny has the most well behaved cyclists of any state; driving up the Tamar Hwy each morning I found the many groups of cyclists were always in single file and keeping left; that wouldn't happen in Perth. It also less than a days drive to lots of spectacular tourist sites like Cradle Mountain.
Boy go to Asia and you will see real racism going on 24/7 just between the Asians for a start. they are entitled to there own opinions, so It does not bother me at all, I am sure they know what they are talking about.
The women don't like going out into the sun they cover up to try keep there skin lighter.

I have never been to Tas but the ones I know directly say openly that there are many inbreed and half whits down there.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2018, 06:02 PM   #47
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

gossy . As a full time permanent Taswegian I can tell you there are way more opportunities (especially now than ever before) than what some think . The State is heading up at the moment in heaps of ways . Tourism is booming and a range of infrastructure upgrades including power generation , agriculture , aquaculture , ship building via Incat and other maritime ventures are providing more and more job possibilities. Other stuff too .. I'm betting you'd probably get work in logistics too ..Even mining is regenerating as we speak on the West Coast ..

Then there's literally the cleanest air on the planet , more than 40% of the State in National Parks , ever improving education opportunities , some of the most uncluttered roads anywhere , world recognized food , wine , award winning whisky and good local beers if that's what floats your boat ..Then there's the fishing both salt and freshwater not far from anywhere ..

The cons are limited national sports teams , she's a tad cooler than the other States and lots of entertainers give us a miss more often than not unfortunately and tons of roadkill because the roos , wallabies , wombats , possums and even the odd devil have no idea how to stay safe ..

So long as you can find a job you're happy with and a property that suits you needs the other 540,000 of us would be happy to have you join us someday .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2018, 01:26 AM   #48
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Nice words roddy, give me a bit of time but I will move down there in the near future.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2018, 11:48 AM   #49
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I've been there once but it cost me a fortune in the truck. Wouldn't mind sailing to Tassy but would probably scare myself crossing Bass Strait as I've read some pretty wild stories getting there.
Always wanted to take a look at the area around Snug, Kettering due to what I've heard about the sailing.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post