Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Perth Falcons

Old 07-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #1
alpha

Default Steering Wheel upholstery

Guys...can any one recommend a contact who can re-upholster a fpv steering wheel. Most places here don't do it or send them away over east. A guy who did my seats says he doesn't know/recommend any one in Perth who could do a proper job. I got a quote from Melbourne and they wanted $400ish .
Cheers
alpha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2017, 11:34 PM   #2
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: Steering Wheel upholstery

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
Guys...can any one recommend a contact who can re-upholster a fpv steering wheel. Most places here don't do it or send them away over east. A guy who did my seats says he doesn't know/recommend any one in Perth who could do a proper job. I got a quote from Melbourne and they wanted $400ish .
Cheers
There is a member on here that has done multiple AU & E series Momo leather wheels for members on here. His work is exceptional, and I dont recall a bad review. Id post some pics, but thanks to the greed of photobucket, I cant do that.

Vegabass (or boss) is his name, I believe he is in Melbourne.

Sometimes shipping it to a quality & recommended business is better than trying to get it done locally. Because when you get it back, and you see its done properly, you know it was worth it.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
There is a member on here that has done multiple AU & E series Momo leather wheels for members on here. His work is exceptional, and I dont recall a bad review. Id post some pics, but thanks to the greed of photobucket, I cant do that.

Vegabass (or boss) is his name, I believe he is in Melbourne.
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11454428

And there's a FB link in the last post.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:01 AM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

There's another trimmer in Adelaide from memory that was re-trimming wheels and adding extra padding as well .... along with doing centre console lids as well.

A number of members on here raved about the quality of the work. It was about $350 a wheel including the padding from memory.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2018, 05:33 PM   #5
alpha

Steering.jpg

Gear.jpgOk time for a revisit. Here is a pict of the coating coming off the steering wheel and shifter. Is there any way of fixing this without a full retrim. I've asked about the Leatherique steering Kit, but was told that the filler in the kit may fill in the perforated parts.
Old 18-01-2018, 07:19 PM   #6
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Attachment 98191

Attachment 98192Ok time for a revisit. Here is a pict of the coating coming off the steering wheel and shifter. Is there any way of fixing this without a full retrim. I've asked about the Leatherique steering Kit, but was told that the filler in the kit may fill in the perforated parts.
Don't waste time & money with do it yourself kits or snake oil that repairs leather. Get in touch with Guru Leather in SA. Frank is honest, well priced & his work is 2nd to none. He can recover your Momo wheel or he can provide a standard E/AU series in any combination of leather you can think of. Brand new wheels supplied inc postage under $300. Google details
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2018, 07:32 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

They're not all snake oil. Leatherique is exceptionally good, but time consuming.

My wheel was almost worn to suede, natural oils and occasional grubby hands will do that

After the Leatherique 'treatment'.

Having said that, if I could have got out of it the easy way for $300, I probably would have
Old 18-01-2018, 09:30 PM   #8
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
There's another trimmer in Adelaide from memory that was re-trimming wheels and adding extra padding as well .... along with doing centre console lids as well.

A number of members on here raved about the quality of the work. It was about $350 a wheel including the padding from memory.
Yeah, that's Guru Leather

http://guruleather.com.au/

He has done 5 or 6 steering wheels for me.

He is quite good.
Fairlane 500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2018, 01:01 AM   #9
alpha

Bugger..I'm in Perth
Old 19-01-2018, 04:28 PM   #10
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Bugger..I'm in Perth
Remove your one, stick on a stocker for the time being and send him your FPV wheel.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #11
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
They're not all snake oil. Leatherique is exceptionally good, but time consuming.

My wheel was almost worn to suede, natural oils and occasional grubby hands will do that

After the Leatherique 'treatment'.

Having said that, if I could have got out of it the easy way for $300, I probably would have

Those results look absolutely amazing.

I had never heard of the product before,
I just googled it, looks like they sell some great stuff.

It would be interesting to know how the repair holds up with time & use?
Fairlane 500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2018, 02:02 PM   #12
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
Remove your one, stick on a stocker for the time being and send him your FPV wheel.
You don't need to send him a wheel if you want a non momo wheel as he makes them to order. Only if you need your Momo wheel fixed will you need to find a replacement for a couple of weeks. Re the Leatherique, the Mercedes wheel was in relatively good condition. The typical condition of Ford leather wheels, especially in darker colours do not come up anywhere as well. In my opinion, for $300, I would either replace my wheel or if I had a Momo, spend the $300 having it refurbished.

Last edited by au350hp; 20-01-2018 at 02:08 PM.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post