Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-11-2016, 12:10 AM   #31
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: people flying into round abouts, youtube example

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
How can the cam car be at fault??

The other car pulled out in front of him as he was travelling through, she never even looked sideways to see if anyone was coming. She needs to give way if someone is already coming through, she can't just drive into the round about blind hoping for the best.

On top of that there is TWO lanes going into the round about, cam car is in inside lane (turn right lane) and she cuts across the outside lane without even a glance sideways to get in front of cam car already in the process of turning right.
only 1 lane, she didn't cut lanes

she is away with the pixies though, and prob greater than 50% to blame

but good luck if you're in a collision at a roundabout and you've put the front of your car into the side of someone else

he's gonna be paying the excess for sure
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2016, 12:37 AM   #32
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
red car still has to give way to all traffic on the roundabout
but so does cam car and they both entered the roundabout at exactly the same moment so neither had priority over the other. And the give way to the right rule does not apply at roundabouts.

Last edited by aussiblue; 03-11-2016 at 12:52 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2016, 01:11 AM   #33
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

All the law says at https://www.slp.wa.gov.au/legislatio..._homepage.html is:

Quote:
95. Right of way in roundabout
A driver entering a roundabout shall give way to a vehicle that is within the roundabout.
Old 03-11-2016, 01:11 AM   #34
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
Doesn't matter if the Cam Car was entering the roundabout at 50km/hr, red car still has to give way to all traffic on the roundabout
same applies to cam car. they entered at the same time. difference being, cam car didn't enter with anything approaching caution.

it may be a roundabout, but its also an intersection ... enter if safe to do so, proceed with caution.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2016, 01:16 AM   #35
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Cam car needs brembos and sticky tyres...
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #36
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIlgU_xgp_k

2.29...XB GT
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2016, 12:31 AM   #37
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
Doesn't matter if the Cam Car was entering the roundabout at 50km/hr, red car still has to give way to all traffic on the roundabout, not just the lawful traffic.
Spot on. She pulled out in front of cam car.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2016, 12:41 AM   #38
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonky. View Post
only 1 lane, she didn't cut lanes

she is away with the pixies though, and prob greater than 50% to blame

but good luck if you're in a collision at a roundabout and you've put the front of your car into the side of someone else

he's gonna be paying the excess for sure
You must have watched a different video.

Two lanes going into roundabout and around round about, there are even arrows on the ground, cam car was in the right lane turning right, red car came from side, cut straight across one vacant lane and entered the right lane which was already being used by cam car.

So she entered the cam cars lane, a lane that was not hers to use unless it was free, which it was not, as can be seen in the video at 0.56 just before the collision she crosses the markings on the ground into cam cars lane without even as much as a glance sideways.

It's pretty straight forward really the red car can't just pull out in front of another vehicle, entering cam cars lane that it was already using, she crossed several markings on the ground to get there, cam car was already in that lane when she cut across the ground markings entering his lane.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 04-11-2016 at 12:47 AM.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #39
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Little maroon car merged unsafe, wasn't looking to her right, so didn't give way but old mate in the cam car could've slowed enough to avoid missy. If the maroon car was looking to the right, she would've hit the brakes to avoid the cam car Imo.

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #40
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Doesn't matter if the Cam Car was entering the roundabout at 50km/hr, red car still has to give way to all traffic on the roundabout, not just the lawful traffic.
But the cam car was not on the roundabout; it entered at the same time as the maroon car so neither car has priority as the law simply is that a driver entering a roundabout shall give way to a vehicle that is within the roundabout. As he ran into her he will be liable as he should have exercised due care when entering the roundabout and slowed to avoid the collision.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:36 AM   #41
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Both contributed to the accident. The cam car should/could have taken evasive action (like braking) but because of their entry speed, and the "high & mighty" attitude of the driver, this was no longer an option.

A smart cop would see straight through that, and the cam car would get a ticket for negligent driving - unsafe speed in a roundabout, whilst the red car would likely get a fail to give way ticket. The fact she didn't even look really puts more of the blame on her, but if you didn't have the cam footage showing it, then whether or not she looked, it would be a moot point anyway, as both still contributed to the accident.

Without the cam footage, and only a witness recount of "he was hooting in at 55km/h or so, not even slowing down" it would be a very different discussion wouldn't it?

Best line I ever heard from a cop at the scene of a prang was "What did YOU do to try to avoid the accident?" - and that's their stance - if you could have done something to avoid the accident (like slowed down, or braked) and you chose not to - like the cam car, then you can be held liable.

The accident where I heard that line was a woman who changed lanes in front of a loaded semi at an orange light - she had no need to change, as she would have been first off the line in the lane she was already in (in front of me, in my lane) but she chose to dive on the brakes and jump across. There was no way the semi could stop, and he would have made it through the light had she not done that. Made a real mess of the back of her car. She went ballistic at the semi - and I hung around as a witness for the truck driver.

When the cop asked that question "What did YOU do to try to avoid the accident?" she had no answer, then stammered & came up with "what could I do? He just hit me, why didn't he try to avoid the accident by using his brakes" - and the cop pointed to the 15m of skid marks from the trailer wheels, and said "that's what he did to try to avoid it, now tell me how you could have avoided it."

She got the ticket for neg driving.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2016, 12:35 PM   #42
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

If you play the clip real slow it seem the cam car enters the roundabout a fraction of a second before the red car.

They are both tools, the red car slightly more so.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #43
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Bloody hell.

Watching the rest of that clip - what the hell is wrong with some people! I recognise half those roads. Wonder how many would have made up some sob story how they did nothing wrong if there wasn't the footage to show the real story...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2016, 03:58 PM   #44
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still completely his fault as he did not enter the roundabout with caution.

He barrelled in a 57km/h when there where clearly 5 cars in or about to be in the roundabout. Tye red car was about to enter the round about when this muppet was 10- 15m away.

Half the monkey with these dash cams are being overly aggressive, a couple blatantly closed the gap when people were trying to merge, a pet hate of mine.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2016, 04:55 PM   #45
Pis-ton broke
Banned

even if she was a fraction of a second later, thats no good reason to smash into her door. the cam car made no effort to swerve out of the way. he was going so fast he couldn,t stop.
im surprised at the different opinions.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2016, 06:31 PM   #46
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
even if she was a fraction of a second later, thats no good reason to smash into her door. the cam car made no effort to swerve out of the way. he was going so fast he couldn,t stop.
im surprised at the different opinions.
I'm staggered too, it looks like he almost t-boned her on purpose to teach her a lesson. Theres a few incidents where some drivers seem to just not care and plough into people because they are "right".

I've had guys cut me off but I don't just plough into them.....but that's the way most drivers roll these days in the big smoke.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:37 PM   #47
Pis-ton broke
Banned

well to be be completely honest stefan, when i saw it i had some empathy for the girl, imo driving into the drive door is much more serious that a rear ender, it could have killer her. and the lack of action on the cam drivers part was quite amazing.

yeah, Sydney is a big rat race, thank god i,m far from it.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2016, 09:21 PM   #48
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They both could have avoided it but given that both entered at the same time it is 50/50 for me.

Personally I'd rather avoid an accident where possible regardless of right or wrong and certainly in roundabout city Canberra I have been in that situation a lot of times
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2016, 10:34 PM   #49
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

After speaking to some I know in insurance claims ... I showed them that clip ... and what sometime occurs in these cases is .... going on the visual evidence ... they class both vehicles at fault and make them both pay for it.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2016, 10:02 PM   #50
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
He (cam car) hit her (red micro thing) so he will be in the wrong as he collided with a car already in the roundabout.
That Makes no sense at all. If I am on a roundabout for 2 seconds and someone sticks their nose into the roundabout at the last microsecond and I clipped their front bumper does that mean I am in the wrong for hitting another vehicle?
I know roundabout rules say "give way to vehicles already on the roundabout" but that doesn't mean you can determine who's fault simply on who hit who on what angle.

What I also find funny with that collision is when she realizes she is about to be hit side on, she seams to brake hard. Maybe if she floored it it may of been avoidable.

In April this year I made a turn and midway through the turn I spotted a car in my peripheral vision coming towards be full speed through a red light.
My first reaction was to floor it and get away from the intersection, and for a microsecond I thought it worked, until I felt them hit my rear bumper side on.
If I was in my old V8 I may have avoided it, but my damn slow diesel with turbo lag couldn't avoid the hit. Therefore fast cars are safer!
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2016, 12:59 AM   #51
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
You must have watched a different video.

Two lanes going into roundabout and around round about, there are even arrows on the ground, cam car was in the right lane turning right, red car came from side, cut straight across one vacant lane and entered the right lane which was already being used by cam car.

So she entered the cam cars lane, a lane that was not hers to use unless it was free, which it was not, as can be seen in the video at 0.56 just before the collision she crosses the markings on the ground into cam cars lane without even as much as a glance sideways.

It's pretty straight forward really the red car can't just pull out in front of another vehicle, entering cam cars lane that it was already using, she crossed several markings on the ground to get there, cam car was already in that lane when she cut across the ground markings entering his lane.
Have another look mate, you are mistaken

Cam car's direction of travel has 2 lanes

Red cars direction of travel has 1 lane
Old 06-11-2016, 01:01 AM   #52
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
But the cam car was not on the roundabout; it entered at the same time as the maroon car so neither car has priority as the law simply is that a driver entering a roundabout shall give way to a vehicle that is within the roundabout. As he ran into her he will be liable as he should have exercised due care when entering the roundabout and slowed to avoid the collision.
It's like brake checking someone

If there's an accident you will have caused it, but the guy who hits you will be deemed liable
Old 06-11-2016, 03:13 AM   #53
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How can 2 cars collide that have entered a round about at 2 different spots at the same time? Only way is excessive speed. Cam car is a knob end and will be shafted.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #54
Beani
Starter Motor

Haven't watched the video but the law is Give way to traffic already on the round about. There is also a recommended speed limit for roundabouts.... so if two cars enter at the same time but one is at excessive speeds and there is an accident. The "speeding" car is at fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beani is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2016, 10:41 PM   #55
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Basically, you must give way to traffic on the roundabout.

But reality and having half a brain to judge closing speeds means if I see someone coming fast (no matter which way they're coming from and even if I know I'll be "on the roundabout" before them) and I can see they're absolutely flying, I'll slow down or stop.
I'm not going to sit in a crumpled wreck and think, satisfied, "well he should have given way to me"...

It mightn't be right, but it's just common sense...are you willing to push your "but I have right of way!" on someone closing at a high rate of knots who shows no intention of slowing down?

Riding a bike for many years also gives you the handy skill of not looking at indicators, not looking at who actually has right of way...but looking first at the driver to see where he's looking. Is he looking your direction? Or just gazing ahead in a trance? Even then, I don't trust them.

I'd rather be wrong and held up five seconds that right and be involved in a spectacular accident...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2016, 11:53 PM   #56
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
But reality and having half a brain to judge closing speeds means if I see someone coming fast (no matter which way they're coming from and even if I know I'll be "on the roundabout" before them) and I can see they're absolutely flying, I'll slow down or stop.
I'll stop, I'll just wait til the absolute last moment to, to give them a scare. On more than one occasion the other guy has locked up and slammed over the kerb on the entry. If he has no regard for me, I have no regard for his car.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2016, 01:06 AM   #57
xr8cam

Like merging, if drivers were properly educated & showed courtesy to others, especially slower, bigger, older or holdens, traffic would flow better. When we leave space between us & the car in front the average speed increases.Ripple effect. The other day I was waiting to enter a dual lane round about at a T intersection. Peak hour & both these clowns in front of me decide to both turn right but one changes lanes during the turn trashing all the panels down the side of his new corolla & the older mercedes. They didn't even stop and try to contain the damage, they just held their line and drove out of the round about to pull up & exchange abuse I assume. The left lane should never have turned right, right?

Last edited by xr8cam; 07-11-2016 at 01:20 AM.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2016, 07:11 AM   #58
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8cam View Post
The left lane should never have turned right, right?
Agree.

Try telling that to all the morons on the Norwest Blvd/Lexington Drv roundabout beside Woolworths HQ. Probably up to 25% of them bend the rules every morning to try to get a few cars ahead. Every 30 seconds to a minute there's a near miss from a left-laner, or there's 2 clowns trying to exit into a single lane road (Lexington Dr) because the outside one has defied the rules, and they block the north-east bound traffic while they honk it out.

Funny how there's a marked improvement in the traffic flow when a cop on a bike parks up on the Resmed corner to observe the roundabout. All of a sudden it works again - well as best as it can with the "prioritised" flow effect generated by all the right turn traffic.

When people follow the rules (ie, when a cop is there) it flows much better - that's why they implement rules.

But you can't educate people with self-entitlement issues.....
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #59
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know a driver that once went through a T intersection he had right of way (the other way had a give way sign) there was an accident as another driver didn't give way. Both drivers were apportioned a % of the blame and both had to pay excess. He was furious as he believed he had right of way. But they got him on entering an intersection when unsafe to do so. The number one rule of driving it to avoid accidents

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #60
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8cam View Post
The left lane should never have turned right, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt
Agree.
Unless the lane was marked otherwise. We have a roundabout here in town where it is possible to turn right from the left lane in one direction, and also possible to turn left form the right lane in the other direction.

If there are no lane markings then the rule you applied would be correct.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post