Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 26-07-2018, 11:55 AM   #1
JasTDi
Starter Motor

Default 2010 LV TDci Electrical Fault

Hi All,

Just thought I'd try calling on the great collective.

I bought my Focus in April. It has an interesting electrical issue that has surfaced.

I can be driving along at any speed and there will be a power spike which will cause the stereo to re-boot.
At the same time the lights on the dash board will light up with all the warnings and engine will stutter.
This morning it was serious enough to turn the ESP off.

There are various codes that are thrown up but these are all associated with the fact that power has been interrupted.

My initial thoughts were a short in the battery but then i doubt it would be intermittent like it is.
My other thought is a problem with the alternator.

If there are any other suggestions I would love to hear them?

Thanks

Jas
JasTDi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2018, 06:49 PM   #2
gumby123
LW Focus TDCI

Default Re: 2010 LV TDci Electrical Fault

I'm thinking battery too. How old is it?
gumby123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #3
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would check earth leads on battery and to engine make sure they are clean and tight
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2018, 12:22 PM   #4
JasTDi
Starter Motor

It appears to have fixed itself for the moment. If all three of us have thought it might be the battery then I will start there. The terminals are in pretty good condition from just looking at them.
Not sure how old the battery is as I bought the car in April with 52k km on the clock. It's now pushing 60k km.

Thanks for your suggestions
Old 20-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
JasTDi
Starter Motor

Ok time for an update.

The problem re-appeared last week so I began investigating it yesterday. What I found:
The terminal clamp on the positive side of the battery was just ever so loose.
I looked closer and tried to do up the stupid wedge clamp thing. It wouldn't do up any tighter.
I removed the terminal clamp to look at the tension do-hicky.
The mechanic who has played with the car before me managed to put a washer in the wrong spot being under the terminal.
I put the washer on top and tightened as advertised.

All appears to be good at he moment.