Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

View Poll Results: Have you had any problems with your DSG Auto, Focus or Fiesta?
Had a problem now its fixed by the dealer 11 15.71%
More than 1 promblem with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
More than 2 promblems with still ongoing issues 11 15.71%
3 or more problems with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
Never had any issues with my DSG Auto 22 31.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #61
kyoshipete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I said much the same in the other thread. Myself and my wife are examples of how Ford and their Powershift transmission have just lost at least 2 sales not only due to their constant denial of the obvious issues, but how they did handle them once we pushed hard enough and made enough threatening phone calls.

I sold our Focus only recently. The Mrs wanted a new small car and decided to get a Mirage, which she loves. Based on past experiences the Fiesta was not even on the short list.

Next year I want a mid sized diesel wagon and it will be an i40. There is no way in hell it would have been the Mondeo after what the Focus put us through. Being in our low 30's they certainly won't be the last cars we buy.

I would love to see the R&D schedule for the Powershift. How all these issues can appear in near new cars is beyond me. Why were they not picked up in the hundreds of thousands of harsh testing km's you assume is done prior to releasing a new model???

And the funny thing is, even Ford trained technicians have no clue how to diagnose and fix them.

I'm wondering why they didn't go down the CVT route. I was very sceptical of the CVT in the new Mirage, not due to past bad experiences, but because 'Fancy Tranny' = costly repairs out of warranty.

I must say the CVT in the Mirage is near perfect, it seamlessly adjusts revs and the thing is soooo economical it isn't funny. Believe it or not the Mirage spins at around 2200rpm at 110km/h, which is about the same as what the Focus ran at... go down hill and the revs drop to something stupid like 1800rpm...

I think the choice for all out economy and the selection of the Powershift was a grave mistake......
Funny you know..the ralliart I just brought has a twin clutch like the focus did and has had the same technology box for over 5 years..but it changes correctly, no shudder AT ALL.., and smooth as silk on slow speed turns etc..it is why I went back to one.. Too many people are seeing this as an issue for Ford to deny it..how many elderly, and how many good people have been turned away convinced by some service manager they don't know what they are talking about! :-(

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
Current - 2012 FPV RSpec #71 Black
Past -
2011 FPV GT335 Nitro 6A
2010 Xr 50th Nitro 6A
1996 Capa Blown LTD (DL)
1975 LTD (pop up h/lights)
XC GXL - with the lot
Multipe XB's GS's
Mock XY GT etc etc
kyoshipete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #62
harveyr

Default Re: 2011 Ford Focus Sport, Transmission Shudders :(

I don't think Mitsubishi use a dual clutch automatic gearbox. Their CVT gearbox is very different technology.
harveyr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #63
kyoshipete

Smile Re: 2011 Ford Focus Sport, Transmission Shudders :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyr View Post
I don't think Mitsubishi use a dual clutch automatic gearbox. Their CVT gearbox is very different technology.
Yeah agreed, but Im referring to the Ralliart - not the standard Lancer..
Past -
2011 FPV GT335 Nitro 6A
2010 Xr 50th Nitro 6A
1996 Capa Blown LTD (DL)
XC GXL - with the lot
Multipe XB's GS's
Mock XY GT etc etc
Old 21-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #64
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I assume that there have been a few software updates as I've been driving a 2103 Focus Trend as a loan car from Ford and it does note seem to be displaying any problems. It only has 1,000ks on the clock, so early days yet. It is very different compared to a standard auto, but the one I'm driving seems pretty smooth.
Mulga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #65
kelvinyhm
Starter Motor

Has anyone confirmed new firmware update helped with eliminating the shuddering?

Mine's a late 2012 Trend Auto. Is not 100% shudder free but occasionally slight shudders during start stop and more obvious on incline. Is not too bad, I can live with it but if the new firmware can fix it I would love a smooth Focus Auto.

Last I went around May for the 3000km check they told me no new updates for the car.

I heard the last update came out this Sept.
kelvinyhm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #66
aaaaplay

Well It has been over 10,000K since we had the electronic rail selector changed and the car shifts almost perfectly, no shuddering just hesitations every now and then. My only complaint is that I really have to gun it to get up steep hills in Drive so I usually shift into Sport for that. Otherwise the car has been great since. My thinking is that the electronic rail selector was bad right out of the factory and the incorrect installation of crankshaft seal dint help things.
aaaaplay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #67
kelvinyhm
Starter Motor

Thank you to forum member who sent me PM about the recent experience re the firmware update. Unfortunately I don't have enough post to reply you in PM to thank you privately.
kelvinyhm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #68
JG33

Hi Guys, I bought a Focus Trend in Oct 2012 for the missus and it's soon due for a 30k service.
This also has a shuddering problem from the start. I was told by the service rep. at its 3000km service, it will all quieten down after a few more thousand kays.
Well its almost 30,000 and the shuddering is 10 times worse.

If they don't sort it out this time I'm going to trade it in next year, possibly for a Mazda 3.
JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #69
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as previously mentioned we have a 2012 Fiesta with the powershift transmission.
It has now had 3 software updates. Its on 17500kms.
It currently has bad intermittent shudder and grinding noise.
It will be going back to dealer in 2 weeks....
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #70
rooford
Starter Motor

This transmission shudder is a strange one, I have a 2012 sport auto, and have had some problems with a rattling / grinding noise from the transmission when it changed from 3rd to 4th, this was diagnosed by my dealer as a fault with the transmission and they fitted a new clutch assembly, and the problem has gone, and the transmission is smooth, and has no shudder , or hesitation, or noise.
The thing is at no time did mine have a shuddering or hesitation issue, only the now gone noise, but a mate of mine who has a 2013 Trend, has the hesitation problem, he had a drive of mine recently and said the difference in mine and his was chalk and cheese, so what is it that only some cars have this problem, you would think that if it was an inherent problem with the transmissions all Focus cars would have it, but no.
rooford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #71
KosCo

I have a Focus Titanium ie. 6 speed powershift petrol engine - now 12 months old.

Had the car for about 6-9 months and shudder appeared. Took the car back and they did a software upgrade. This improved the situation - reverse gear was much smoother, hill stop assist now worked, shudder was still present but not quite as bad.

A few weeks after the software upgrade, engine stopped for no reason and took about 3 minutes to re-start. Took car back and they "pulled the gearbox apart and cleaned the clutch" - well, according to what they said.

A few weeks after this, got a call from the service dept to bring the car back as they had parts to be replaced (they hadn't told me about this when I picked up the car last time).

New parts were installed and FINALLY the shudder has disappeared - very nice now and like brand new and hope this is the last of the gearbox problems.

This was all fixed under warranty but also noted that the dealer will avoid giving details of exactly what they have done to the car - would not provide any paperwork and depending on who you talk to and what day of the week it is, you will get a different and vague answer every time.
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #72
KosCo

If you want more information on the Ford Powershift problems, look at --

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Fo...problems.shtml
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #73
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosCo View Post
If you want more information on the Ford Powershift problems, look at --

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Fo...problems.shtml
#20 "Boggus Ford lol.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #74
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Sorry to read of everyone's problems with these transmissions.

Mrs LeadFoot's Focus Titanium has developed a light grinding sound (we can hear it on gentle acceleration from a full stop) whether it isn't there on firm/hard acceleration (or we just can't hear it) I don't know.

The transmission can be quite jerky and indecisive when reversing, there's some slight slippage on initial acceleration, but once you're going it's fine - nice smooth, decisive shifts and no issues with power delivery.

We'll be taking the car in for its 15,000km service and check of the transmission in the next couple of weeks. I'll post back once we hear what's going on.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #75
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
there's some slight slippage on initial acceleration, but once you're going it's fine - nice smooth, decisive shifts and no issues with power delivery.
Describes our issues perfectly, its there clutch system the biggest cause of there trans problems.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2014, 11:34 PM   #76
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
Describes our issues perfectly, its there clutch system the biggest cause of there trans problems.
Hey Spoolman have you had yours looked at by the dealership?
Old 02-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #77
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
Hey Spoolman have you had yours looked at by the dealership?
The plan is to leave it there while we are on holidays next month.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #78
monk3y

Hey LeadFoot81,

Your description sounds exactly the same as the problem we had in my wife's 2011 LW Titanium (only has 22000km on it at the moment) at the beginning of Dec.

I took the car into my local dealer who had the car for half a day and did a "re-calibration of the transmission" and a software update.

Haven't had a problem with it since, it's been as good as new.
XE Fairmont Ghia - 4.1L EFI
AUIII XR6 - 5 speed in Blueprint
SY Territory TS RWD
BA MKII XR8 ENFORCER
EL Fairmont
monk3y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #79
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
The plan is to leave it there while we are on holidays next month.
OK, hope it goes well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk3y View Post
Hey LeadFoot81,

Your description sounds exactly the same as the problem we had in my wife's 2011 LW Titanium (only has 22000km on it at the moment) at the beginning of Dec.

I took the car into my local dealer who had the car for half a day and did a "re-calibration of the transmission" and a software update.

Haven't had a problem with it since, it's been as good as new.
Hey Monk3y, ours is a 2013 Titanium. Fingers crossed we can get away with the same!
Old 03-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #80
kyoshipete

I wish you luck with the recal..and that after it does its relearning that the differ does not return. Would be nice to know how you went in say 5000 K m time.. !

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
Past -
2011 FPV GT335 Nitro 6A
2010 Xr 50th Nitro 6A
1996 Capa Blown LTD (DL)
XC GXL - with the lot
Multipe XB's GS's
Mock XY GT etc etc
Old 03-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #81
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm standing by my opinion that DSG is a heap of **** and that it should be reserved for the exotics, and stay there until its developed properly.

Until then, CVT/Slushbox for autos because both of those actually work properly most of the time.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2014, 10:43 PM   #82
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Fair enough.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #83
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
as previously mentioned we have a 2012 Fiesta with the powershift transmission.
It has now had 3 software updates. Its on 17500kms.
It currently has bad intermittent shudder and grinding noise.
It will be going back to dealer in 2 weeks....

Our fiesta went into the dealer yesterday at 19000kms.
It is faulty and software updates are all done.
It is going back (when parts arrive) for a new clutch!
All under warranty.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #84
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Ford have sold a fair few PowerShift equipped Focus and Fiestas worldwide, I wonder what the problem/failure rate is on these transmissions?

There's *a lot* of complaints online, but the problem is (IMO) people only speak up when there is an issue, and not when things are going well.

I'd love to test drive a high km example that hasn't had any issues to see what it sounds/feels like (I know many world argue such a car couldn't exist)
Old 07-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #85
C0ncrete

Mine is going in today, clutch assembly to be replaced, also asked him to look at the gear rail selector.
C0ncrete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #86
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0ncrete View Post
Mine is going in today, clutch assembly to be replaced, also asked him to look at the gear rail selector.
I assume it's under warranty? Ask em what the job would have set you back. I assume they will also be changing the transmission oil. Tell them to note it in the service book so you are not changing the oil again before its due.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #87
C0ncrete

I personally know the head mechanic there who has taken it on thankfully.

He told me some truths that the normal customers would not want to hear. Lets just say he told me he will fix it and that maybe I should consider selling it once its fixed :(
C0ncrete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #88
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats interesting concrete.

Real shame. Great cars, crap transmission.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #89
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:

He told me some truths that the normal customers would not want to hear. Lets just say he told me he will fix it and that maybe I should consider selling it once its fixed :(
Hey C0ncrete, would you be willing to share on the forums? Or via PM?
Old 09-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #90
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:

Hey C0ncrete, would you be willing to share what you were told on the forums? Or via PM?