Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

View Poll Results: Have you had any problems with your DSG Auto, Focus or Fiesta?
Had a problem now its fixed by the dealer 11 15.71%
More than 1 promblem with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
More than 2 promblems with still ongoing issues 11 15.71%
3 or more problems with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
Never had any issues with my DSG Auto 22 31.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #31
aaaaplay

Default Re: 2011 Ford Focus Sport, Transmission Shudders :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmavx View Post
well i just got my focus titanium petrol back today after a week off the road and it had both clutch packs replaced. all very strange as there was no paperwork and when i asked about what was the problem that caused my cars shudders (in 2 4 6 below 2200 rpm, felt like someone had pulled a plug lead off) i was told we dont know exactly as we send the gearbox off to bayfords to do the work and they sort it out with ford not us. i thought it was strange that both sets of clutches required replacing yet there was apparently no oil leak on to them which according to a lot of reports is what causes constant shuddering in gear. the only other information i could get out of them is that they have seen "quite a few" boxes with clutch issues, doesnt exactly fill you with confidence that it will not happen again which is a worry as this car spends 90% of its life cruising at 110 kph on the highway and not going up and down thru the gears like a city car would

ps hope this is your last issue aaaaplay
The original owners had purchased our car from Bayford Coburg and had repairs done on our car previously.

Last edited by aaaaplay; 27-07-2013 at 09:27 PM. Reason: fear of defamation
aaaaplay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #32
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaplay View Post
The original owners had purchased our car from Bayford Coburg and had repairs done on our car previously.
that makes me even happier NOT to know that who stuffed up and repaired your car badly the first time are the same people who have done the repair to mine
mrmavx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #33
Rocksprint
Starter Motor

Take it back to ford
My partners had the same probs needed new clutches and reprogram on electric
Rocksprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #34
aaaaplay

So We got the car back on thursday and since not a shudder at all!!!! It drives like a new car should, there are a few residences in changes but otherwise Wow. I feel as though it was the rail selector and thrust bearing all along causing problems. But the whole process our dealer Blacklocks lavington have been good to deal with and hopefully this is the last of the issues.
aaaaplay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #35
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a new focus sport and have similar problems with transmission. I phoned ford to book the car in for 7500 km service and they said it was unnessasary, only if the car has worked hard in the first 7500km.
Anyway i did read somewhere that the transmission shudder at takeoff was normal as the design of the transmission was similar to a manual transmission being it has dry clutch setup.
So see how it goes, it has had its 15000kkm service at ford and i asked them to check out the transmission and see if there's any software updates but they said it was fine so touch wood.
i do notice that the shudder happens more if your very light on the accelerator. May just have to change my driving style.
there was another theory about the tranny i was thinking of, when i had my vrx magna fwd, when i used to accelerate hard or flutter accelerator, it used to jerk or shudder expecially on take of now this was because of the torque and the design of the horizontal engine as theres not much to stop it from torquing backwards and forwards, not like rwd cars were the running gear is long ways down the car.
Bit hard to explain but im sort of thinking buying stiffer engine mounts might stop the shudder.

Last edited by damo76; 20-08-2013 at 12:03 PM.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #36
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

At the risk of coming across as overly-negative, these Powershift autos do not have such
a good reputation...... However, I do hope that the OP and others experiencing problems can get
them sorted out soon!

From the Dog and Lemon Car Guide, Current Focus Review:
http://www.dogandlemon.com/

"Ford’s 6-speed Powershift automatics have been the subject of much
criticism. The Ford Powershift transmission uses what’s called a dualclutch
system to give extremely quick gear changes and better fuel
economy. Drivers can also select gears using tiny plus or minus buttons
on the side of the gear selection lever, but this is clumsily annoying.
Ford’s rivals put paddle shifters behind the steering wheel.
We have a dim opinion of dual clutch transmission systems, because
they tend to give lots of expensive problems and because they often
don’t work all that well in the real world.

Being a racing system, the Powershift is pretty good if you’re travelling,
say, through a series of winding roads at high speed. It’s at city rush
hour speeds that the Powershift’s glaring defects really start to show. At
low speeds the transmission often can’t work out which gear it should
be in. Thus the transmission hesitates, jerks and sometimes won’t
accelerate properly. In very cold weather the transmission sometimes
takes a long time to get going. Ford has modified the programming
on these transmissions to try and get around these problems, but these
problems have not gone away.

Ford has repeatedly tried to claim that this is a great transmission,
but that owners simply have to get used to a different type of gear
changing. We think that this is a crock: the Powershift simply doesn’t
work properly. The owners are right and Ford is wrong.

And, as is so often the case with fancypants car technology, it’s not very
reliable: we have heard of a number of cases of Powershift transmissions
totally failing at very low mileages. God help any poor sod who owns
a car fitted with a Powershift transmission once it leaves warranty."
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #37
hazrd
Red Rocket...

Interesting read.

It was this comment that actually caught my eye:
"but that owners simply have to get used to a different type of gear changing"

I had a 1.6 Focus Ambiente for a few days which had the powershift transmission. I actually do agree with the above comment. It took me a day or two to actually get used to the shift behaviors, but once I got the hang of it, I was alright (which was actually my time to return it lol). Even though I got used to it, I wasn't really a great fan either TBH.

That being said, someone who doesn't necessarily understand the mechanics of a transmission (or a car full stop for that matter) will seem to be the ones that will struggle to get used to this new form of gearbox. Because lets face it, we are all used to the works of the old fashioned 1,2,3,4 auto gearbox.

Give me a third pedal anyday ;)

Edit: I noticed the shudder the most when I was trying to accelerate off from a standstill but very gently. It wouldnt shudder if I gave it a little bit from take off. It felt like it was trying to decide whether to give me power in 1st gear or not (if that description makes sense)
Old 10-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #38
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I prefer the ZF auto over our power-shift auto Focus.
There is some talk overseas of the Focus back to a more traditional style auto.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #39
jonohoang

Hey all,
Just picked up my 2012 focus titanium from getting its gearbox replaced due to grinding from 4 into 5 upshift.
During this time, they provided a brand new Ambiente as a loaner. The loaner was so much smoother in gearshifts and there was no jerkiness on lower gears at low RPM.
When I picked up my car it was like night and day. The car is working exactly how it should, no more shudders, no more jerkiness and no more grinding noises.

Don't make excuses for your car, like we have been. If there is something wrong, bring it in for a replacement/check up.

I hope the car is now finally fixed and we won't have anymore issues with this car.

P.S, for anyone who is interested the powershift gearbox costs $8,300. Add on two days worth of labour, and it would easily exceed $10k to replace a faulty gearbox out of warranty. Will be definitely looking to extend warranty on this car...
jonohoang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #40
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That sort of cost kills the second hand value a few years on when things start to wear.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #41
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gees. $8300 to replace transmission, i bought a new focus because i was sick of fixing and spending money on my old ***** cars (excluding bronco) but looks like buying a new heap of sh*it is still going to be a hassle soon.
oh well misses can drive it and ill just keep driving the bronco c6 auto that doesnt f up.
Old 25-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #42
Imolator
Quad Cam

As usual we get shafted in Aus. In the states the complete transmission sells retail for just under $4,000 US dollars, so that is one hell of a mark up there.
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #43
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Yup.... once these cars hit a few years old they will just be simply not worth fixing. $6000 to replace a clutch! Not including r&r costs or investigative work...

Whoever said that they are going to investigate extended warranty, make sure its a Ford backed product not a BS dealer one.... your first repair out of warranty will make the circa $2k warranty cost seem like loose change.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #44
rooford
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonohoang View Post
Hey all,
Just picked up my 2012 focus titanium from getting its gearbox replaced due to grinding from 4 into 5 upshift.
During this time, they provided a brand new Ambiente as a loaner. The loaner was so much smoother in gearshifts and there was no jerkiness on lower gears at low RPM.
When I picked up my car it was like night and day. The car is working exactly how it should, no more shudders, no more jerkiness and no more grinding noises.

Don't make excuses for your car, like we have been. If there is something wrong, bring it in for a replacement/check up.

I hope the car is now finally fixed and we won't have anymore issues with this car.

P.S, for anyone who is interested the powershift gearbox costs $8,300. Add on two days worth of labour, and it would easily exceed $10k to replace a faulty gearbox out of warranty. Will be definitely looking to extend warranty on this car...

My 2012 Sport has just been back to the dealer for the grinding noise from the gearbox, they did a software upgrade and relearn of the transmission, I was told that if the problem returned it would need a new gearbox, is the new gearbox you have an improved one from the original one, or is the grinding problem likely to return?
rooford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #45
Golfer

Can the transmission be replaced with the wet clutch version from the diesel. There seems to be little or no issues with the transmission in the diesel. Mine is fantastic.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #46
jonohoang

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooford View Post
My 2012 Sport has just been back to the dealer for the grinding noise from the gearbox, they did a software upgrade and relearn of the transmission, I was told that if the problem returned it would need a new gearbox, is the new gearbox you have an improved one from the original one, or is the grinding problem likely to return?
Its like night and day.
Where the old transmission would jerk and grind during lower gears (take off off from lights or creeping up the hills), the new transmission is perfectly smooth.

It's how it should be. Hopefully it stays this way. Hope this helps.
jonohoang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #47
rooford
Starter Motor

I have found the same with the software upgrade, although I never had much jerkiness, it is defiantly smoother, I just hope the grinding does not return, I thought I read somewhere though that the fuel consumption might increase though, I am keeping an eye on that one for sure
Thanks for your help
Old 04-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #48
kyoshipete

This is dead right..2012 titanium, shutters, indecisive, at slow speed particularly..happened in the first day off driving it..fobbed off by Ford as it got worse in approach to 20,000 ks. They tell you it just needs to learn..truth is they need to learn..traded under 12 months old and brought a Lancer ralliart..gearbox works and it goes..twin clutch that is better sorted despite being older design..with paddles etc..serious denials at every service by Ford dealers..and because of this treatment i did not upgrade to a Kuga !! Their loss..and half the reason for the company demise in my opinion..so disappointed..

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2
Current - 2012 FPV RSpec #71 Black
Past -
2011 FPV GT335 Nitro 6A
2010 Xr 50th Nitro 6A
1996 Capa Blown LTD (DL)
1975 LTD (pop up h/lights)
XC GXL - with the lot
Multipe XB's GS's
Mock XY GT etc etc
kyoshipete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #49
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

My partners fiesta has some of these grinding and jerkiness issues, I'll add another one to the list which is pretty scary, sometimes if you cut the throttle completely it will continue to accelerate for another second or two.

Quality.
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #50
rooford
Starter Motor

I had the software upgrade installed after a grinding gearbox, car was smooth and running well, just returned from a trip to the country averaging 6.5 ltrs per 100klm, all was well I thought until about 2 klm from home after leaving the freeway, I put it into sport mode and yes the bloody grinding returned, so its off to the dealer on Monday who promised a new gearbox if the noise returned, the car has only just done 5000 klm.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #51
kyoshipete

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooford View Post
I had the software upgrade installed after a grinding gearbox, car was smooth and running well, just returned from a trip to the country averaging 6.5 ltrs per 100klm, all was well I thought until about 2 klm from home after leaving the freeway, I put it into sport mode and yes the bloody grinding returned, so its off to the dealer on Monday who promised a new gearbox if the noise returned, the car has only just done 5000 klm.
This is the issue we all talk about..they know it's a problem..just deny, tell you some rubbish and hope you don't return..which i won't!!! Happy to leave my focus at the Mitsubishi dealer as trade in on the new lancer..haven't had an issue! Love my other fords but these boxes are so intelligent they defy Ford..lol..

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2
Past -
2011 FPV GT335 Nitro 6A
2010 Xr 50th Nitro 6A
1996 Capa Blown LTD (DL)
XC GXL - with the lot
Multipe XB's GS's
Mock XY GT etc etc
Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #52
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

I solved my issues once and for all, I traded my titanium in and bought a fiesta st instead and was surprised that despite being a smaller car it has more leg and head room front and back, a not much smaller boot and I get to control the gears WITHOUT any blasted shudder

Mrmavx
mrmavx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #53
anto
Za Dom spremni

Hmm, my sisters 1 year old titanium is at the dealer with all the same symptoms mentioned in this thread. They tried the software update which apparently didn't work .... Poor girl is worried she bought a lemon, I tried to reassure her it was nothing major but after reading this thread, wow ! Seems to be common and expensive problem in the long term. Extended warranty is a given it would seem.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #54
kyoshipete

Truth is if they take you on the journey of...we will reset it, or it needs time to learn..lol...you'll simply delay the need to FIX the problem..sadly Ford won't concern themselves with your inconvenience, just their outlay..it will need pressure sooner or later..document everything including their comments..good luck..

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
Past -
2011 FPV GT335 Nitro 6A
2010 Xr 50th Nitro 6A
1996 Capa Blown LTD (DL)
XC GXL - with the lot
Multipe XB's GS's
Mock XY GT etc etc
Old 02-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #55
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our 2012 Fiesta had a traany reflash at 3000kms was good to about 10,000kms. At 12500kms we had it reflashed again but at 15200 its gone off again. Metaalic noises and shudder with light take off from start. It had its 15000 km service today and we mentioned the transmission issues -this a different dealer. He didnt ahve time today but we booked it in for the 21st to have it redone. He had his guys take it for a drive and said it needed work. Interestingly he also said that it needs the dealer to drive it 50kms after a flash then a 2nd reset to get it right on the day.
The first dealer told me they all shudder (Foci/fiesta) yeah right!

So on the 21st we shall see.
I am impressed with dealer number 2 -the fixed price service at 15000 came in at 10 bucks under the quoted $275.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #56
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoshipete View Post
Truth is if they take you on the journey of...we will reset it, or it needs time to learn..lol...you'll simply delay the need to FIX the problem..sadly Ford won't concern themselves with your inconvenience, just their outlay..it will need pressure sooner or later..document everything including their comments..good luck..

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
Just an update...the changed the clutches in it due to an oil leak and also a new tune that was just released apparently.
Funnily enough they did use the "give it some time to bed in and learn" line, which is probably justified since the clutches have been changed....shall see how it goes.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2013, 04:47 PM   #57
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well mine has turned over 25000 kms now and the shuddering is horrible, it surges more than some of my $500 bombs i used to buy when i was young.
Time to go get it fixed as the new car drives like a pig.
Heap of S***
Old 11-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #58
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

The problem is big (except Diesel it has a different auto), cars taken for attention on a daily basis right across Oz with trans clutch issues.
Ours has a slight stutter/shudder occasionally, when I reported it 12 months ago I was told this is how they are, my reply was ''just because this is how they are doesn't make it right.''
They are now listening but they need a ''real'' fix because customers noises are becoming louder.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #59
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford should have learnt from VW not to pretend there is no problem because it impacts buyer confidence in the cars
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #60
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
Ford should have learnt from VW not to pretend there is no problem because it impacts buyer confidence in the cars
I said much the same in the other thread. Myself and my wife are examples of how Ford and their Powershift transmission have just lost at least 2 sales not only due to their constant denial of the obvious issues, but how they did handle them once we pushed hard enough and made enough threatening phone calls.

I sold our Focus only recently. The Mrs wanted a new small car and decided to get a Mirage, which she loves. Based on past experiences the Fiesta was not even on the short list.

Next year I want a mid sized diesel wagon and it will be an i40. There is no way in hell it would have been the Mondeo after what the Focus put us through. Being in our low 30's they certainly won't be the last cars we buy.

I would love to see the R&D schedule for the Powershift. How all these issues can appear in near new cars is beyond me. Why were they not picked up in the hundreds of thousands of harsh testing km's you assume is done prior to releasing a new model???

And the funny thing is, even Ford trained technicians have no clue how to diagnose and fix them.

I'm wondering why they didn't go down the CVT route. I was very sceptical of the CVT in the new Mirage, not due to past bad experiences, but because 'Fancy Tranny' = costly repairs out of warranty.

I must say the CVT in the Mirage is near perfect, it seamlessly adjusts revs and the thing is soooo economical it isn't funny. Believe it or not the Mirage spins at around 2200rpm at 110km/h, which is about the same as what the Focus ran at... go down hill and the revs drop to something stupid like 1800rpm...

I think the choice for all out economy and the selection of the Powershift was a grave mistake......

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post