Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 18-03-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
boss-man

Default LW focus headlights

So im not to happy with the brightness of the headlights at night...im thinking of upgrading to these http://www.lighting.philips.com.au/v...ictionID=12571

everyone one else happy with their headlights at night or is it just me?

Old 18-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
Foconatic

Default Re: LW focus headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-man
So im not to happy with the brightness of the headlights at night...im thinking of upgrading to these http://www.lighting.philips.com.au/v...ictionID=12571

everyone one else happy with their headlights at night or is it just me?
That link shows HID lights. Are your existing lights HID's?
Foconatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
boss-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foconatic
That link shows HID lights. Are your existing lights HID's?
Oops my bad i dont have HID's.....

These http://www.lighting.philips.com.au/v...a=more%20light or http://www.lighting.philips.com.au/v...ictionID=12571
Old 19-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
mcouldrey

I picked up some new high and low beam globes from supercheap, they are supposed to be 100% brighter from Narva. We'll see how they go tonight. To change the globes you have to undo 2 screws from each headlight and the whole unit comes free. Makes it easy to do.

I am considering buying the full HID genuine headlights from the uk.
mcouldrey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
boss-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcouldrey
I picked up some new high and low beam globes from supercheap, they are supposed to be 100% brighter from Narva. We'll see how they go tonight. To change the globes you have to undo 2 screws from each headlight and the whole unit comes free. Makes it easy to do.

Had a look at them yesterday at supercheap I'm looking at the Philips ones after work keen to see before and after pics pls

Getting the real mccoys are definitely on my list to I love the "DRL's"
Old 19-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
Foconatic

Quote:

Legally and to pass ADR's the HID headlights have to be self leveling (Auto leveling) and have to have headlight washer jets. But if you dont have them [I wont tell anyone (whisper)]
Old 19-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
Foconatic

Quote:
Had a look at them yesterday at supercheap I'm looking at the Philips ones after work keen to see before and after pics pls

Getting the real mccoys are definitely on my list to I love the "DRL's"
Getting higher wattage or higher current draw globes could melt the headlight relay/s and/or fuse box, etc. Warranty might not cover such damage. My son ordered some of these globes off ebay for his Subaru and the relays were getting hotter than normal. He switched back to the normal wattage globes but with a whiter glow due to the blue glass and zenon gas iso halogen.

Thats why I waited four months to get my car with the Execuitive Saftey pack option. For $2300 extra you get The HID"s, static cornering lights. DRL's, Adaptive cruise control and sun(moon)roof. Worth the price and wait.
Old 19-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
mcouldrey

The ones i got are the sae wattage, utprovide beter light. I live in country nsw so i need good light rather than getting them to look sexy. i am considering these also, just to look sexy!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160711260...84.m1423.l2649

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuISnD1gCic
mcouldrey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
boss-man

Yip I'll be getting same wattage but brighter light...
Old 19-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've got a full set of Phillips +100 globes in my LV Focus headlights, its a bit of a difference over stock, not a longer beam but where it lights up is more "brighter".

They're standard 55W globes too, some special fillament in them or something makes them brighter.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
Foconatic

Quote:
The ones i got are the sae wattage, utprovide beter light. I live in country nsw so i need good light rather than getting them to look sexy. i am considering these also, just to look sexy!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160711260...84.m1423.l2649

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuISnD1gCic
Def. sexy. Wire them up as propper DRL's i.e not to the parkers but as per ADR rules. You could wire them up so that when you turn your head lights or
parkers on they dim to park light intensity. Thats legal and further enhances the look of the car.
daytime running lights

Daytime running lights (DRLs) may be fitted to the front of a vehicle to increase its visibility to other road users during the daytime. They should not be confused with driving or fog lamps, which although similar in appearance are not designed for use in clear daylight conditions and are more likely to cause glare or annoyance to other motorists.
  • Daytime running lights (DRLs) reduce the risk of collision during the daytime.
  • RACV believes more vehicle manufacturers should consider fitting their vehicles with dedicated DRLs.
  • RACV believes a limit in intensity of 1200 candela (a measure of the light's brightness) for DRLs will provide maximum visibility to other motorists in the daytime, while minimizing any glare effect.
  • In the absence of vehicles fitted with dedicated DRLs, RACV encourages motorists to operate their headlights on low beam during the daytime, in order to reduce the risk of a collision.
This is from the RACV:
Old 19-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
boss-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I've got a full set of Phillips +100 globes in my LV Focus headlights, its a bit of a difference over stock, not a longer beam but where it lights up is more "brighter".

They're standard 55W globes too, some special fillament in them or something makes them brighter.
So is it worth paying the exstra coin for the Philips Big Damo? Which one in the Philips range did you get!

Last edited by boss-man; 19-03-2012 at 06:00 PM.
boss-man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #13
Ddscott
Starter Motor

In my limited experience, the whiter lights or globes that have blue tinge over the glass do not make driving any better especially in the wet. I had some on my old 03 Berlina and whilst they look mint, in the wet you can't even see the road. I put the original ones back in and made it so much better. HID lights are illegal unless (like someone else said) you have auto leveling. I've seen before and after and it is incredible.
Ddscott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
So is it worth paying the exstra coin for the Philips Big Damo? Which one in the Philips range did you get!
http://www.powerbulbs.com/au/product...eadlight-bulbs

and

http://www.powerbulbs.com/au/product...eadlight-bulbs

Assuming the halogen lights are of the same type on the LV and LW, I also ordered them from here as they seem to be about half price compared with Repco (Rippin' Every Poor C*** Off) or SCA. A few week wait though.

But I also have a set of Hella Rallye 4000 Compact spotlights on my Focus as well, with 100W H1s in them.

Don't fall for the globes with the blue tinge on the glass, they actually produce less light, its just a ****y HID imitation look and less light on the road.

With HIDs, the difference is in the reflector/projector, as they produce light differently, if you chuck a dodgy aftermarket HID kit in a reflector designed for halogen lights, you will blind everyone with glare, and throw light all over the place EXCEPT where you need it down on the road. Its all about optics.

I spent about $800 on genuine HID light assemblies for the old mans 2003 Mazda 323, I got them from a Mazda dealer in Japan, they don't have auto-levelling but they are actually designed for HID lights and the results are fantastic, We've done a good 15,000km+ of testing with the lights and so far, not one flash from anyone nor any police attention, as they perfectly cut off like the factory halogen lights, absolutely no glare. The down sides are the globes are $100 EACH and I had to change the wiring on the car to power the ballasts from the low beam trigger using a relay, and add more wiring for the now separate high beams, with again another relay from the high beam wire as the AUDM 323 has just a H4 whereas the JDM cars have a D2R HID for low beam and HB3 halogen for high beam.

I was looking into genuine Ford HID light assemblies for my Focus, but they wanted 600 Euros without shipping for just the assemblies, then I needed to source my own ballasts, globes and again **** fart around with wiring in new relays and changing wiring like on the old mans car.

If you're interested in what $800 gets you lol:

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 19-03-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #15
Ddscott
Starter Motor

I'd pay 800 for that kind of result
Ddscott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #16
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
With HIDs, the difference is in the reflector/projector, as they produce light differently, if you chuck a dodgy aftermarket HID kit in a reflector designed for halogen lights, you will blind everyone with glare, and throw light all over the place EXCEPT where you need it down on the road. Its all about optics.
if you have a look at a lot of the better aftermarket HID bulbs you will find that the position of the light source is exactly the same as in the halogen bulb and there will not be a difference the light pattern but there will be in colour and intensity, my previous vehicle was a ve ssv ute and i replaced low and high beam bulbs with autotechnica kits and light pattern had exactly the same pattern with the same hard line cut off point on the low beam as with the halogen bulbs. i do agree with the quote "its all about optics" as i have also seen HID kits(generally no name brand)where the bulb does put the light source in a different position ie closer or further from the projector and these will throw light off in different directions, so in my eyes HID kits can be great(especially if you are in country areas and have a lot of wildlife to worry about, as i do) but check the bulb design first as it will make all the difference.

anyway this is my two cents worth

wayne
mrmavx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2012, 10:01 AM   #17
mrmavx
Molten Orange Maniac

Thumbs down Re: LW focus headlights

after having a look at the headlights in my lw i have found that upgrading to hid will prove to be difficult as the bulb holder and electrical connector are all one piece which means that you cannot fit a hid conversion kit bulb in there as they need to run there own wiring from bulb to ballast then back to the connector and this will take a bit of work to achieve

wayne
mrmavx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #18
FOMOCO 1
Munch Munch GM's 4 Lunch

Guys I too am not happy with the headlight of my LW titanium. Upgraded to globes to Narva +120. The gglobes are great but I think the problem lies I the headlight being aimed too low. My car has the adjustable beam but they don't go high enough using th switch inside the car. Is there a way to manually adjust or modify the beam angle??
FOMOCO 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2015, 08:28 PM   #19
Bad01
Starter Motor

Someone figure out how to adjust headlight angle so the headlight adjust is actually usuable.

That would be sweet
Bad01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad01 View Post
Someone figure out how to adjust headlight angle so the headlight adjust is actually usable.

That would be sweet
a couple of bags of cement in the boot , or motherinlaw in the back seat , just joking, perhaps without fiddling with the reflector/globes, it may be possible to put some washers or spacers on the headlight mounts to give a couple of degrees more angle , i have not seen how they are mounted, but it may be worth having a look at.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-04-2018, 07:24 PM   #21
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My original globe went about 2 months ago then I put a spare one in, that also blew so I actually need to buy a pair now.
Anyone have any recommendations for a LW sedan? Nothing special, I have manual levelling.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2018, 02:31 PM   #22
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just picked up the Osram long life bulbs that come with a 4 year warranty, see how they go.
Old 27-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #23
spiker

I'm not impressed with the lights on my lw2 sport either, especially since my mothers Trend seems to have much better lights even considering that we are both seem to be using the same globe rating. All I can put it down to is that the S headlights have blacked out areas as shown where as the Trends are all chrome. maybe more reflective area is the difference? Does anyone have an update on the effectivness of upgraded globes?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180417_144735.jpg (73.2 KB, 10 views)
spiker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #24
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiker View Post
I'm not impressed with the lights on my lw2 sport either, especially since my mothers Trend seems to have much better lights even considering that we are both seem to be using the same globe rating. All I can put it down to is that the S headlights have blacked out areas as shown where as the Trends are all chrome. maybe more reflective area is the difference? Does anyone have an update on the effectivness of upgraded globes?
I found as the bulbs age they become dimmer. When I replaced mine they were brighter than the ones before even though they had the same rating.

I am looking at getting projector headlights locally for looks and light output but it's more of a want than need.
Old 27-04-2018, 03:02 PM   #25
Rygor
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiker View Post

I upgraded to Osram Night Breaker +110%. Much brighter than the old ones.
Rygor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #26
spiker

Spent a couple of frustrating days searching for wiper blades and lights for the S, we only have supacheap auto ( who are pretty usless imo, staffed by pretty girls who havent got a clue ) and repco who dont seem interested.
I mean its not as though the Focus is a rare car its not like its a Buggati or Aston Martin. I cant find a matching set of globes, my brother in law says he has some LED's in H1 and H7 I can have. Has anyone else used these will they fit, I seem to recall someone saying somewhere that there may not be enough room for the heat sink. Also wondering if there is an alternative to the beam type wiper blades? My only other alternative is a 160km round trip to the nearest autopro or Ford dealer to see if they can help..
Old 22-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #27
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You only have at most 1cm between the headlight and the frame. No space for a heatsink. Inside there's not much space either.

H7 is for main beams.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #28
spiker

Hi. So the other day I purchased a set of Phillips X-treme vision 100's for the Focus. Looked in the manual for some instructions witch really didn't help much, went on youtube and found a couple of vids showing how to do it. Took out the headlight assembly, disconnected the lead, took off the rubber covers and attempted to remove the connectors, the videos show a tab which has to be pressed and the connectors pull of the globe real easy. No such luck, no matter how hard or soft I press or wiggle the connectors they will not release. Am I missing something or is there a trick to it. I have resisted trying brute force cause we all now how fragile these thing look. Any help appreciated.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:41 PM   #29
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it true to get projector headlights ADR approved when fitted they need to have headlight washer jets fitted?