Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #61
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Default Re: The Oil Change Thread

I tried wd40 which still didn't help! don't have room at my place, or ramps so can't even try again as I do this sort of stuff at my olds.
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #62
REDDYZ

Chris, I would strongly recommend to replace the plug with a new one once you get this off. Since it is rounded, it will be hard to take it out and more you try, it gets worst. Try with multi grip locking pliers if you have one. Best thing to do is to take it workshop, where the plug head can be grind to proper shape to fit a tool or there will be lot of tools and options. Unless you know what you are doing they are not advisable to try. Have you been trying to take it off on a cold engine or hot engine?

Yogi

cheers
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #63
casabonka
You can call me Chris

I tried at first hot, then let it cool.
Once I noticed how rounded it was I gave up. I went to supercrap and repco and neither could let me know what plug is needed... Never had an issue before, but all too hard so going to the local workshop next saturday and they can deal with it!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 31-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #64
Mainlube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mainlube has just released a new Mainlube 175 Synthetic Race SAE 0w40 designed for the Ford Focus, diesel and petrol.

Spec's cover the exhaust soot filter for the diesel.

Retail is $29.50 +gst.

Cheers

Steve
Mainlube 154 Synthetic Solid Boundary E P Gear Oil SAE 75w140 (diff)

www.Mainlube.com.au
Mainlube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #65
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainlube
Mainlube has just released a new Mainlube 175 Synthetic Race SAE 0w40 designed for the Ford Focus, diesel and petrol.

Spec's cover the exhaust soot filter for the diesel.

Retail is $29.50 +gst.

Cheers

Steve
the manual recommends 5w30 for my petrol focus

what effect would using 0w40 have on the engine?
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #66
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Bit thin when cold isnt it at 0w40?
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 31-10-2011, 05:19 PM   #67
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

agree, may be a bit too thin especially with the temp rising & also if your car is getting a few Km's on it.

The oil would probably be a bit more expensive, I think.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #68
Mainlube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b
the manual recommends 5w30 for my petrol focus

what effect would using 0w40 have on the engine?
Would provide slightly better protection.

The company I blended the 0w40 Race oil for told me the RS 2.5 Turbo takes 0w40 in the book.

0w40 is a tad ballser oil with spec plus a top line group IV PAO base oil.

Cheers

Steve

www.Mainlube.com.au
Old 01-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #69
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainlube
Would provide slightly better protection.

The company I blended the 0w40 Race oil for told me the RS 2.5 Turbo takes 0w40 in the book.

0w40 is a tad ballser oil with spec plus a top line group IV PAO base oil.

Cheers

Steve
May be for the RS and then the XR5, but the normal focus has a totally different engine in it. 2ltr 4cyl.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #70
rand0mn00b

yes, that was my point in asking the question

there are several focuses and while 0w40 might be suitable for the XR5/RS according to the owner's manual it is unsuitable for the non-turbo 4 cylinder and probably the diesel as well
Old 02-11-2011, 10:36 AM   #71
Mainlube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b
yes, that was my point in asking the question

there are several focuses and while 0w40 might be suitable for the XR5/RS according to the owner's manual it is unsuitable for the non-turbo 4 cylinder and probably the diesel as well
Yes as the 0w40 is for more protection without too much change the original spec around 40C.

Cheers

Steve

www.Mainlube.com.au
Old 12-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #72
casabonka
You can call me Chris

All sorted now, dropped off at the mechanics and got the radiator and brake fluid flushed at the same time.
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Tinted Windows
Old 05-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #73
DeKa

I notice you guys don't seem to be using oil which meets Ford's certifications - 5W-30 which meets Ford M2C913-B or M2C913-C (which succeeds -B).

I'm just wondering why not? Mobil Super FE 5W-30, Castrol Magnatec Professional A1 5W-30, Liqui-Moly LEICHTLAUF SPECIAL 5W-30 and Nulon Full Synth 5W-30 all meet either the -B or -C certification. Are these oils hard to find in stores, or too expensive? I haven't looked yet but am curious as to why you're using non-certified oils.
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #74
REDDYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKa
I notice you guys don't seem to be using oil which meets Ford's certifications - 5W-30 which meets Ford M2C913-B or M2C913-C (which succeeds -B).

I'm just wondering why not? Mobil Super FE 5W-30, Castrol Magnatec Professional A1 5W-30, Liqui-Moly LEICHTLAUF SPECIAL 5W-30 and Nulon Full Synth 5W-30 all meet either the -B or -C certification. Are these oils hard to find in stores, or too expensive? I haven't looked yet but am curious as to why you're using non-certified oils.
Mobil, Castrol, Nulon are the familiar and easy to find ones. Mobil is expensive, Castrol and Nulon are ok. However, Castrol Magnatec Professional A1 5W-30 that you mentioned is only synthetic based but not fully synthetic and I haven't seen that before. Never heard or seen Liqui-Moly anywhere.

Instead, there is Castrol Edge Sport 5W-30 which is fully synthetic that you can buy under $40 for 5L lot of times. I have been using this since long and no issues so far. Keeps engine clean, oil stays fresh until 5000kms under tough conditions. I never let my car do more than 5000kms between oil changes. So, I don't how long does it last.

There are other brands that are good as well like Mainlube, Fuchs.. My car demands fully synthetic and have been using Castrol Edge 5W30 which is cheap and does the job for me.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #75
LordFordNZ

Quote:

I currently use Liqui-Moly 5/30 for my LV 2.0L. Works well, get it through Autobarn - was around $70 for 5L. Which means you have around 500-600mls of oil left over, which is a bit annoying. Next change I want to try Royal Purple brand - more expensive (around $100 for 5L), though I think this oil is probably the best in class, and perhaps most underated. Check out the forums in here - one specialy dedicated to synthetic oils.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #76
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

2011 - 2.0L Petrol models, the Ford service book does recommend to use 5w/30?

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 02:34 AM   #77
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDYZ
Mobil, Castrol, Nulon are the familiar and easy to find ones. Mobil is expensive, Castrol and Nulon are ok. However, Castrol Magnatec Professional A1 5W-30 that you mentioned is only synthetic based but not fully synthetic and I haven't seen that before. Never heard or seen Liqui-Moly anywhere.
Magnatec Professional A1 is now fully synthetic, whatever that means in Castrol speak. I understand that it's the Ford factory fill oil in Europe and seems to be used by Ford dealers here (NZ).

But Edge 5W-30 would be at least as good and is readily available. Plus for diesels it will be a much better choice as it is a low SAPS oil.

After a Ford dealer used Caltex 15W-40 in my XR6 at its first service, I did my own oil changes every 10,000 km and used Edge 5W-30. No complaints and it did improve the fuel consumption slightly on a regular commute.

Last edited by NZ XR6; 04-01-2012 at 02:40 AM.
NZ XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #78
REDDYZ

I think castrol has updated their range now. There is a titanium version in Edge 5W-30 which is new and costs $20 more than normal Edge 5W30. Both are fully synthetic though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
After a Ford dealer used Caltex 15W-40 in my XR6 at its first service
Thats a good one hahaha.. lol Something similar happened to my sister's Territory and after 2000kms oil level was at the bottom tip of the dipstick. Since then Edge 5W-30 and no dramas.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #79
DeKa

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDYZ
I think castrol has updated their range now. There is a titanium version in Edge 5W-30 which is new and costs $20 more than normal Edge 5W30. Both are fully synthetic though.
This doesn't meet Ford's specs (M2C913-B or M2C913-C) for the Duratec-HE engine, even though it is 5W-30.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #80
REDDYZ

Quote:
This doesn't meet Ford's specs (M2C913-B or M2C913-C) for the Duratec-HE engine, even though it is 5W-30.
Not just Ford, it doesn't meet few other specs. Not suitable for Diesels with particulate filters.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #81
Torment47
Mr Hoon

I do my own services, cheaper than getting mechanic( 100-200 bux!) i service mine every 5 thousand, check my air filter,top up water levels, check p/s B/f ,hoses, air con,lights etc, Repco or super cheap usually have deals on oil ,and filter isn't that much.
Torment47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #82
josem

Quote:
Originally Posted by casabonka
Bit thin when cold isnt it at 0w40?
The most critical time for the engine is at cold startup. 0w is the best oil to use to provide the fastest circulation of oil to the critical parts via the very small pathways. Ford Focus dealers in California recommends 0w20 for their 2012 Focus and their summers are sometimes hotter than in Aus. Sometimes I cannot understand why some people still buy the very popular 20w50 oils for their daily use cars. I think even 15w40 is too thick for cold starts.
josem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #83
DeKa

I found another oil which meets Ford WSS-M2C-913-C and WSS-M2C-913-B

Total QUARTZ 9000 FUTURE NFC 5W-30
http://www.totaloil.com.au/Pages/content/NT00010242.pdf

Distributors:
http://www.totaloil.com.au/Pages/aus...ocument&LG=EN&
Old 28-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #84
kooldude
Starter Motor

Where can you get this total oil
kooldude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #85
Citwit

I dont know about the Total oil but the Liqui-Moly LEICHTLAUF SPECIAL 5W-30 is available from the local Auto One store. I chased up the Mobil Super FE 5W-30 here and it is only available in 200 litre drums. The suggestion from the distributor was to contact the local Ford dealer if I wanted some. My cynicism tells me this smells of a con. Create your own unique oil standard that very few oils satisfy so it is necessary for you to back to the dealer to comply with the warranty. At least the Liqui-Moly is available.
Citwit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #86
rand0mn00b

I still see places carrying elf... so maybe they could get Total since they are meant to be the same company
Old 30-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #87
DeKa

I have emailed Total who replied and said I should contact these guys:
http://www.elfoil.com.au/contact/contact.aspx
to find distributors which I've done so I'll report back.
Old 30-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #88
rand0mn00b

Quote:
i guess in australia it's still being marketed/sold by the elf brand. kind of makes sense according to my observations... though maybe the reason we haven't seen much total oil is because they're probably trying to clear out old elf stock first!

either way i'd be interested in your results - got a change due soon. I have been very happy using Elf oils in the past and recently switched to liqui-moly (from a nearby Autobarn) but wouldn't mind going with total but admittedly haven't been looking real hard

here is a list of oils I have been compiling that claim to meet the ford WSS-M2C913-B or C requirement:

Liqui Moly Leichtlauf Special F 5W-30
Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 A1
Total QUARTZ 9000 FUTURE NFC 5W-30
Total ACTIVA 9000 FUTUR 5W-30
Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W-30
Fuchs TITAN Supersyn F 5w-30
Gulf Formula FS 5w-30
Millers Oils XF Longlife ECO 5w-30
Nulon Full Synthetic 5W-30 Diesel Formula Engine Oil
Havoline Energy 5W-30
Motul 8100 Eco-nergy 5W30
Motul Specific 913C 5W30
AnglomOil Roadmaster GEO 550F
Q8 Oils Techno 5W-30
BP Visco 5000 FE 5W-30
Comma Xtech 5W-30
CHAMPION SYNTOLUBE 5W30 F 913-C
ADDINOL Premium 0530 FD
OPTIMA VIMAX FD 5W/30
Ford Formula F 5w30
Sunoco SYNTURO DYNAMIC 5W30
Opus SYNOPUS F 5W/30
Shell Helix Ultra AF 5W-30

this list is by no means exhaustive, just what turned up in google one night
Old 30-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #89
DeKa

You can definitely buy some Total oils at Peugeot and Citroen dealers... but I doubt they'll sell this one as it is not on this list: http://www.peugeot.com.au/oil-recommendations/
Old 02-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #90
DeKa

Quote:
Total 9000 Future NFC 5W-30 isn't imported into Australia unfortunately.