Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-08-2018, 10:28 AM   #1
Bikepirate
Starter Motor

Default Fuel Gauge Problem

I have a 2012 LW Focus. When I fill the tank fully, the gauge shows less than full and then rapidly goes downwards for fairly low mileage. The mileage remaining indication also goes down rapidly and not in sync with the actual mileage being driven.

I suspect a faulty tank sender unit. Anybody else had a similar occurrence? What is involved in replacing this unit if necessary?

Cheers, Grant
Bikepirate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2018, 09:22 PM   #2
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 
Default Re: Fuel Gauge Problem

Stick your head under the vehicle and see if the fuel tank has been sucked in (usually near the fuel tank straps). If it has it may mean there is a blockage in the canister purge circuit of the vehicle. The sucked in tank can push the sender unit out of place or even damage it. There is a recall on this vehicle to rectify the concern. If you supply or VIN I can see if your vehicle is covered under the recall.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2018, 07:58 AM   #3
Bikepirate
Starter Motor

Thanks for your quick reply. it sounds like it could be the problem. Will check under the car.

The VIN is WF0KXXGCBKCB68378.

Cheers,
Old 07-08-2018, 08:07 AM   #4
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

According to that VIN supplied, the recall was already done on the 14/11/2017 by Motorama Ford in Qld. It had 39934 kms at the time.

I would be double checking the tank to see if it has sucked in as it was not deformed or replaced at the time when it possibly should have or it reformed after the canister was replaced.

That's were I would start.

Did the issue start around that time or before?
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2018, 08:37 AM   #5
Bikepirate
Starter Motor

Thanks for the info. Yes, I remember that recall being carried out now. This is my wife's car but we only noticed the problem occurring recently.

The car is going in for a service on Friday but not to a Ford Dealer (too far away!) but I will ask them to look at the tank when up on the hoist. Maybe the sender unit was damaged at some stage?

Cheers, Grant