Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-02-2017, 06:59 PM   #1
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default 2003 Focus

Just looking for advice on the 03 Focus, 2.0l Auto hatch.

My Daughter is on her 'L's and has a 2000 Camry which we bought her to learn in and although bullet proof where reliability is concerned, she hates the look of it.
I've found an 03 Focus with 140k's with full service history for around $3.5k and she's really interested in it but before I go and look at it I was hoping for some advice.
Anything to look out for, common issues etc.

Cheers
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2017, 05:46 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: 2003 Focus

Not a lot of known issues although the 2.0 Auto combination is not exactly a ball of fire and if it's a CL then give it a miss as they had no passenger air-bag and more importantly no ABS. Everything from the LX upward has both.

Other than that, the autos seem bullet proof as do the engines as long as they are well serviced. Interior trim (particularly head linings) are known for being a bit lower on quality than some comparable vehicles but a visual inspection should sort that.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2017, 08:36 AM   #3
zeuss000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My missus has one of those except it is the manual version, Had it for a couple of years now and no issues whatsoever, she loves it and i actually rather enjoy driving it also. Great little car.
Ed
zeuss000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #4
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Thanks Russ,
Yes unfortunately it is a CL version so no ABS which looks to be a deal breaker at this stage.
was looking at the thread currently running in the Pub on budget hatchbacks and seems to be consistent with what I'm finding, plenty of manuals, a handful of auto's and nothing really suitable under $5k with reasonable k's and a decent reputation.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:32 PM   #5
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

If the Pollen Filter as been replaced as per service schedule, ensure that the exterior panel i.e. between the base of the windscreen and the back of the bonnet has been re-sealed correctly. If not (or if it appears warped due to age) any rainwater or carwash water will leak in and rest on the footwells under the carpet. So lift the carpets up and have a look, if you haven't already done so.

I assume the Timing Belt has been changed? That could be a bit pricey otherwise.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #6
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Ended up buying the Focus, went for a bopeep as we were down that way and couldn't knock it back after seeing/driving it, too clean for the $$.

It is an 03 CL so no passenger airbag or ABS but its a definite step up from the Camry with no airbags or ABS that she's been driving for the past 6 months.

Its white 5 door hatch, 2.0l auto, tint, done 140k's with full history, had the timing belt done a couple of months ago, new tyres, good brakes, no shudder etc.
Interior 10/10, body 10/10, paint 9.5/10 with a scrape on the mirror scalp, roof lining perfect.
Drives well, runs well, A/C cold in yesterdays 42* heat although I got a slight smell of oil burning on the exhaust so I'm thinking probably a rocker cover gasket.
I'll pop down to my service advisor and get him to pinpoint it for me, I say advisor as he'll tell me what's going on, then sends me on my way if he knows I can handle the job, lol.

Helped get the price down a bit anyway.

Main thing is the girls happy so that's half the battle won.

Only needs to get her by until she either heads to the UK at the end of next year or gets something newer when she's old enough to sign a contract.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:07 AM   #7
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Just finished giving the girls new sled a tub and discovered that it has Zetec written on the rocker cover so I have to ask, are all 2.0l Focus engines Zetec or is there a standard 2.0l and a Zetec 2.0l?

I looked in the books and in the spec's section it refers to the 2.0l running 91RON as having 85kw whilst the 2.0l running 95RON produces 96kw.
Does this mean the 2.0l are the same but when fuelled with 95RON they pick up an extra 11kw or are they two completely different engines.

Cheers
Old 10-02-2017, 12:20 AM   #8
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Just finished giving the girls new sled a tub and discovered that it has Zetec written on the rocker cover so I have to ask, are all 2.0l Focus engines Zetec or is there a standard 2.0l and a Zetec 2.0l?

I looked in the books and in the spec's section it refers to the 2.0l running 91RON as having 85kw whilst the 2.0l running 95RON produces 96kw.
Does this mean the 2.0l are the same but when fuelled with 95RON they pick up an extra 11kw or are they two completely different engines.

Cheers
All engines are Zetec. That's the brand of the motor.

They are the same engine. If you run 91RON in them they lose some power (obviously 11kW).
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2017, 12:24 AM   #9
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Ok, thanks, looks like it'll be 95 from now on then.
I'll have to shoot the former owner a msg to see what they ran in it.

Spoke to my mechanic, he agreed the oil smell was likely the rocker cover leaking, went to Sprints and priced a new one at $20 so as soon as the 40*+ heat ****** off I'll rip it off and replace it.
I gave it a good degrease and pressure wash tonight and it looks like new under there now.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #10
zeuss000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done mate, Great little car, hope you get a great run out of it.
Ed
zeuss000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2017, 09:55 AM   #11
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My parents have one 2003 zetec hatch only done 70,000. still on original tyres

Have to say for a 2L promising 96KW it has no go and they always use the higher octane, not the best on economy either for a little car
good looking thing though
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2017, 03:10 PM   #12
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

CL and LX Models had 85kw ZETEC Engines. The 2nd highest model available was badged ZETEC and had the 96kw ZETEC Engine and also had ESP Standard from memory as the CL and LX Models weren't even able to be optioned with ESP. Then at the top of the tree was the rare ST170 with 127kw (ie 170hp).

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2017, 06:57 PM   #13
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
CL and LX Models had 85kw ZETEC Engines. The 2nd highest model available was badged ZETEC and had the 96kw ZETEC Engine and also had ESP Standard from memory as the CL and LX Models weren't even able to be optioned with ESP. Then at the top of the tree was the rare ST170 with 127kw (ie 170hp).
Oops, missed this reply sorry.

This one has the Zetec badge on the hatch lid and CL badges on the sides.

I'm probably missing something basic here, but what's ESP?
Old 10-03-2017, 09:04 PM   #14
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Oops, missed this reply sorry.

This one has the Zetec badge on the hatch lid and CL badges on the sides.

I'm probably missing something basic here, but what's ESP?
Scratch that, it doesn't have ZETEC on the hatch lid, its on the rocker cover.
Been hunting around for a Focus for my old girl and a few I've looked at over the past few days have had ZETEC on them and i'd confused myself with them all...lol

As for the car itself, so far so good, steers well, runs like clock work and most importantly the girl loves driving it.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:16 PM   #15
wayne001
Starter Motor

A lot a bad advice given in this thread
Hood linings don't sag in LR - previous poster must of been thinking of falcons
LR run fine on 91 , don't waste your money running them on 95- previous poster was thinking of the Mk2 which needs 95 as a minimum.
thinks to look out for which are particular to the LR apart for the normal stuff that applies to all cars for are as follows - thermostat housing usually start leaking at 150k and needs replacing = common fault - Alternator tend to go about 200k - Front wheel bearings also go at 200k
wayne001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2017, 11:21 PM   #16
wayne001
Starter Motor

the Autos are also fragile if the Transmission fluid have not been changed at regular intervals. Check your Auto fluid and ifs it not nice and red then I would change it ASAP - and whilst doing that change the Power steering flied at the same time as the auto fluid for the Gearbox and power steering pump are the same type
wayne001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2017, 05:17 PM   #17
stevejg33
Classic not Plastic

Bought my daughter a black Zetec hatch close on 12 months ago, great little car, haven't had any problems.
Although, just after we bought it I pressure cleaned under the bonnet & then a few days later it started running rough, took it to Ford's to see what was wrong. When I cleaned it I didn't blow the water out of the spark plug crevices, the water sat in there & corroded the plugs. A new set of plugs later it's as good as new. (don't forget to dry out the water, my bad)
Had it serviced while it was there & the service dude said that the LR was the best of the Focus's, all the later models had some sort of drama, whether it be trans issues or other stuff.
Great little car, she loves it.
stevejg33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #18
jasmine91
Starter Motor

Hi guys. I have a 2004 Ford Focus Zetec, i’ve noticed a fuel smell through the car more recently. When looking under the bonnet, it seems to me the leak is coming from under the Fuel Injection Wiring Loom, so my question is how do I get the cover off.
Sorry if i’m not meant to post here, I have no clue what the f**k I’m doing on this forum lol.
jasmine91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post