Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-01-2005, 09:56 PM   #31
clampy
Mr Extraordinary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Funny that, my gf's 1984 323 runs fine on the factory head and 91 RON ULP....
yeh coz i think cars imported from japan by the manufacturer around then are made to jap standards of the time(i.e., had to be ugly, tacky, uncomfortable, handle-like-a-pig-on-rollerskates, have dashboard-crack-after-a-few-aussie-summers, and also have hardened valve seats...)..

in other words, in aus it was 86 that manufacturers had to convert to ULP.. but in other countrys, it was probably earlier..
clampy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 10:05 PM   #32
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Yes but the way they said it ALL cars made before 1986 could only run on leaded fuel.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 10:12 PM   #33
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

They also said that you would need to get a converter...
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 10:24 PM   #34
Dodge
i like to be stroked

whats wrong with gettn the head done up, most old cars are over due for a valve job anyway, bunch of flossies out there ..... as for the mechanis who wasnt sure if his chevy would run LOL wheres he been for the last 15 years. I run my cooper s on ULP and never touched the head or added additives its fine and im sure in a few 1000 or so KLMs i will need new guides , seats ect but i would have needed them anyway on leaded .
Old 10-01-2005, 10:45 PM   #35
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Well, I was at Mobil today reading the info at the pumps. After reading it I figured the work experiance kid must have been in charge of editing it. Went inside, grabbed a leaflet and yep, sure enough, work experiance kid has been there too. Good one Mobil, how many $000's of dollars did you spend to make yourself look stupid??

WTF is "pinking".... :

PINGING YOU IDIOTS, PINGING

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.

Last edited by Casper; 10-01-2005 at 10:50 PM.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 10:51 PM   #36
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Casper, have you ever pulled apart a pre-1986 head that's been running on ULP? The valves are all pink, honest!
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 10:52 PM   #37
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Casper, have you ever pulled apart a pre-1986 head that's been running on ULP? The valves are all pink, honest!
is that before or after they detonate?

Old 10-01-2005, 10:56 PM   #38
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
WTF is "pinking".... :
Komrade, wonderful words for Mobil written by heroic soviet speech writer da? We fix tractor, he point at glorious icon of soviet engineering and say. "Do you hear ze pinking?!"

Your joke is jibe at triumphant mother russian engineering da?

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 11:03 PM   #39
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

I have seen the term "Pinking" in some dubious and somewhat ancient british motor manuals. You know the ones where even the head studs are witworth. But hey Poms dont know wings from mudgaurds. :
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 11:04 PM   #40
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
I have seen the term "Pinking" in some dubious and somewhat ancient british motor manuals. You know the ones where even the head studs are witworth. But hey Poms dont know wings from mudgaurds. :
Obviously they are referring to the leftover Morris, Hillman and {shudder} P76's still cruising the streets. :

Old 11-01-2005, 12:13 AM   #41
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

[QUOTE=klawsterfobik]Whats wrong with that? It would keep the d!ckhead idiots that cant drive off our roads.

.....dont think the price of an exam would stop dicks on the roads??? I am sure there are quite afew d!ckheads that could afford $1000.00 for thier license....I have seen em in WRX's etc with 'P' plates wrapped around trees! :gren:

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 12:17 AM   #42
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Obviously they are referring to the leftover Morris, Hillman and {shudder} P76's still cruising the streets. :
I dont't think cruise was ever an appropriate term for travel in such things. :
Old 11-01-2005, 12:19 AM   #43
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
I dont't think cruise was ever an appropriate term for travel in such things. :
This better:

Obviously they are referring to the leftover Morris, Hillman and {cruise} P76's still shuddering the streets.

Old 11-01-2005, 12:43 AM   #44
XR6turbo
Great EF XR8

I work at a BP service station, which has no LRP, and honestly apart from people who know nothing about cars, most people will just run on the premium unleaded and most of the time prefer it to the LRP. Yes it will eventually screw your valves, but because premium is of around the same octane as the old leaded petrol u generally won't have a problem. I do advise u don't run it on normal Unleaded because of the poor quality that fuel is in Australia, but if u must, run it with the additive. I ran a 1984 gemini that was leaded and i ran it for 2 years off premium unleaded, and never once had a problem with any of the valves. ALSO, if u run a 70's - 80's Mercedes Benz or BMW, you can actually go straight to unleaded without any additives, as they have higher quality parts than the Australian cars, although we still advise that u run premium as thats what those European cars were made to run off.
The best premium unleadeds that are around are from Mobil and BP. Shell's quality of fuel has gone out the window, and u will find the best Performance will come out of your car if you put either synergy 8000 or BP Ultimate in your vehicle. This is just a bit of information for everyday motorists.
Btw, If you don't believe me about shell, conduct your own tests, and i think u will find that the famous OPTIMAX that everyone claims is good, ain't so flash.

cheers,
steve
Old 11-01-2005, 01:31 AM   #45
BTTB
Free XD

Quote:
WTF is "pinking".... :

: that is so funny!

All of you with OLD cars can have Stellite valve seats
fitted when you next have your head/s reco'ed... Save shoving
valve seat lube in every tank or so ...
BTTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 01:35 AM   #46
BTTB
Free XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6turbo
The best premium unleadeds that are around are from Mobil and BP. Shell's quality of fuel has gone out the window, and u will find the best Performance will come out of your car if you put either synergy 8000 or BP Ultimate in your vehicle.
I concur... Shell Optimax is shit... Go the Ultimate

I run my 71model Honda 350cc Twin on BP or Mobil...
Shell just doesnt cut it.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:45 AM   #47
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

By some of the posts here, it is clear that compulsory roadworthys aren't the godsend they claim to be. Some of you have stated how their mates in the trade or some dodgy mechanic has passed an unroadworthy vehicle.

For the vast majority of drivers who maintain their car satisfactorily or the pick of the bunch who meticulously maintain their car to the point where it drives better than it did off the showroom floor - compulsory roadworthys will be an unnecessary hassle - the system also makes it possible for dodgy mechanics to make extra $$$ from less knowledgable motorists via unneccessary work under the guise of roadworthiness. In the meantime, the people who have been deliberately neglecting car maintenance will find a way to cheat the system. In the end we have little difference in the number of unroadworthy vehicles and the responsible majority get shafted - again!

The VACC has been pushing for the annual roadworthy system to be implemented in Victoria for some time because it will make their members more money. The RACV has opposed it because they are more interested in doing the right thing by motorists. Provided random checks continue to be performed by police, they see no need for the compulsory annual checks.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 02:06 AM   #48
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
By some of the posts here, it is clear that compulsory roadworthys aren't the godsend they claim to be. Some of you have stated how their mates in the trade or some dodgy mechanic has passed an unroadworthy vehicle.

For the vast majority of drivers who maintain their car satisfactorily or the pick of the bunch who meticulously maintain their car to the point where it drives better than it did off the showroom floor - compulsory roadworthys will be an unnecessary hassle - the system also makes it possible for dodgy mechanics to make extra $$$ from less knowledgable motorists via unneccessary work under the guise of roadworthiness. In the meantime, the people who have been deliberately neglecting car maintenance will find a way to cheat the system. In the end we have little difference in the number of unroadworthy vehicles and the responsible majority get shafted - again!

The VACC has been pushing for the annual roadworthy system to be implemented in Victoria for some time because it will make their members more money. The RACV has opposed it because they are more interested in doing the right thing by motorists. Provided random checks continue to be performed by police, they see no need for the compulsory annual checks.
Have to disagree with you on this one!
The annual inspections are a good thing, particularly when state Govt cost rationalisation has almost removed police patrols in favour of $$ making speed cameras. Bald Tyre cam has not been perfected.
Sure some can scam a pink slip (NSW roadworthy) but most aren't that well connected and the loss of income and possible fines and suspensions for approved workshops sees that Ma & Pa public wont get pinkies for unsighted vehicles and have to keep their buggies relatively safe.
Its real function is to stop the rusted out shells and bald tyres. And that task annual testing does well.
Sure there is some nonsense involved, but no more than the crap that almost mandates a new windscreen in every 2nd hand Vic car sold. (Scam)
The biggest swindle in NSW is the greenslip insurance system that sees our total registration allmost double that of Victoria, its paying for all those whiplash scams.
Pink slips aren't that expensive, dont need to be done by the RTA, and ensure that almost all NSW vehicles are looked at, at least once a year by a qualified mechanic.

Last edited by RED_EL_XR8; 11-01-2005 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:13 AM   #49
BTTB
Free XD

Having lived in NSW and VIC... there are a LOT more
dodgey vehicles on the road down here... its scary!
Old 11-01-2005, 02:28 AM   #50
460cixy
burn out king

Quote:
Well, I was at Mobil today reading the info at the pumps. After reading it I figured the work experiance kid must have been in charge of editing it. Went inside, grabbed a leaflet and yep, sure enough, work experiance kid has been there too. Good one Mobil, how many $000's of dollars did you spend to make yourself look stupid??

WTF is "pinking".... :

yup it sure is pinging to the un educated. before takeing the **** on the work experiance kid. who ever wrote that clearly has more smarts than your self or who ever agreed with your coments. pinking/pinging are the same thing. only it seems typical that we go for the sepo term of pinging. if you use a glass spark plug device when an engine pinks you can clearly see the pink flame and the pinging noise. now the euros and poms worked this out far before the sepos had even built an engine. far as im concernd its pinking not pinging . if you would like a copy if this from my text books it can be aranged. you can also say im a dick head with no idea . but i have been a mechanic 9 years now and have seen it all. ya wanna take the **** and look smart. then research it first :
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 02:39 AM   #51
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFGTHO
I concur... Shell Optimax is shit... Go the Ultimate

I run my 71model Honda 350cc Twin on BP or Mobil...
Shell just doesnt cut it.
yep you seem to notice it a hell of a lot more on the bikes, mine runs crap on the optimax, yet BP or mobil are fine

so i try to work by the same rules for the car...
Old 11-01-2005, 04:12 AM   #52
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Quote:
I was the work experience kid who wrote that...
So, here goes...

It’s experience not experiance.

Just taking the ****. Typos are bloody everywhere.
In your defence, I (and many others it seems) have never heard of "pinking"
Read enough threads on pinging and never heard "pinking" there either.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 08:27 AM   #53
LTDHO
The one and only

Sorry Casper. It is called pinking!

Although everyone I know says Pinging. :-/

LPG shops will be loving this! I reckon alot of people will get LPG now.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 08:35 AM   #54
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Funny that, my gf's 1984 323 runs fine on the factory head and 91 RON ULP....
Even the mazda web site agrees with you.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:36 AM   #55
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460cixy
yup it sure is pinging to the un educated. before takeing the **** on the work experiance kid. who ever wrote that clearly has more smarts than your self or who ever agreed with your coments. pinking/pinging are the same thing. only it seems typical that we go for the sepo term of pinging. if you use a glass spark plug device when an engine pinks you can clearly see the pink flame and the pinging noise. now the euros and poms worked this out far before the sepos had even built an engine. far as im concernd its pinking not pinging . if you would like a copy if this from my text books it can be aranged. you can also say im a dick head with no idea . but i have been a mechanic 9 years now and have seen it all. ya wanna take the **** and look smart. then research it first :
I was given one of those pommy see-thru spark plug jobbie kits years ago, and like most things british and automotive, it was about as handy a tune-up aid as a chocolate dipstick. The compression of a 12 year old 186 red motor was enough to blow out the see thru window. And it was thus dispatched to Menai (Sydney Tipyard) where it so rightly belonged.
But I think you correct the brits/euros definately are the experts when it comes to pinking/pinging, they have so much more to work with.

Last edited by RED_EL_XR8; 11-01-2005 at 08:59 AM.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:32 AM   #56
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Pink slips aren't that expensive, dont need to be done by the RTA, and ensure that allmost all NSW vehicles are looked at, at least once a year by a qualified mechanic.

Exactly. At about $33 for a pink slip its not that bad. Green Slips (personal injury cover) are usually more than our rego costs eg $330-$700+ depending on what car you drive and how old you are. Its a rort.

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 11:18 AM   #57
Dodge
i like to be stroked

my head his a pinking and im fair dinkin it got to do with ur fuel
give me some drinkin and i will be sinking a few of them cold ones with bill
Old 11-01-2005, 11:30 AM   #58
460cixy
burn out king

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
my head his a pinking and im fair dinkin it got to do with ur fuel
give me some drinkin and i will be sinking a few of them cold ones with bill

hahahaha my head was pinking too when i wrote that now looking back it seems a bit harsh not ofence intended. :
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 11:32 AM   #59
Dodge
i like to be stroked

show us ur pinking bits LOL new saying for the Nats LOL
Old 11-01-2005, 12:02 PM   #60
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

All I can say is the the term "pinking", while possibly correct, is the most obscure and unheard of load of pommy garbage I've ever heard of.
We are not the US, we are not the UK, we are Australia.

Now, lets do a spot survey at a servo....ask 50 people have you ever heard of engines pinging....then ask if they have heard of pinking? Lets see how many have even heard of pinking.

Yes, pinking may be correct but its pointless to put it on customer brochures...less than 0.0001% of people (just those with obscure british merchanics manuals it seems) have ever heard of it.

May as well have written it in polish if thats the case.