Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-01-2005, 10:39 AM   #1
gekko
Starter Motor

Default Today Tonight Story - Old Cars Worthless?

I saw an ad last night on TV for a Today Tonight story claiming that if you had an "old car", it would be worthless due to changes that occurred on 1 Jan. Anyone know what this story is about??
gekko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 10:45 AM   #2
champsky
THCC Motorsport member 1

umm i think its about the petrol thing, ive been told that all the super and leaded fuel will be cut off and only ULP and PULP etc will be used

so i suppose if your trying to sell and older car that usually runs on super then unless youve done some head work on it to run on ulp then your not going to be able to get much for it.

although there is a bottle mixture you buy for a couple of dollars that you can add into your tank to stop your engine from screwing up.

Member of the MTAS
Founder of TTM (team twink motorsport)

Founder of the AFFDDPS (Australian Ford Forums Drink Driving Punishment Squad)
champsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 10:46 AM   #3
EA2BA
PM me if you want

most servos, dont have leaded or LRP anyway if you have a look and havent had for a quite a while.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 10:50 AM   #4
champsky
THCC Motorsport member 1

ahhhhh but not in SA lol

we a bit slow here hehehehehe they just started implementing them here about 6months ago

Member of the MTAS
Founder of TTM (team twink motorsport)

Founder of the AFFDDPS (Australian Ford Forums Drink Driving Punishment Squad)
champsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 11:00 AM   #5
Dodge
i like to be stroked

thats it the cooper s and mustang are going to the scrap heap LOL i look in the unique cars book these days and see the old fords worth more than porsches, dont think someone who spends 100K + is worried about what a daewoo driving reporter is saying.
as for the feul u can run unleaded in a old car with a additive or if ur like me u can run unleaded in a leaded engine for 2 years b4 the valves wear then u take off the head and rebuild it anyway.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:05 AM   #6
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

I run my precrossflow Cortina on PULP, and then put a bottle of Flashlube in with every tank. I know they wont, but i hope they state that you can get headwork done to allow you to run your car on ULP, or PULP without the additive.

We had a bit of a discussion on this last night, and it was brought up that it may be talking about if you own an old car, you will have to get a roadworthy every 12 months... Which i think is a good idea, but they should bring that in for all cars. Maybe newer ones every 2 years.
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 11:06 AM   #7
klawsterfobik

Dodge, if the cooper s is going to be scrap i'll take it off yours hands and the mustang if you want too
Old 10-01-2005, 11:11 AM   #8
EA2BA
PM me if you want

NSW - New cars are no roadworthy for 4 years, then every year after that same as old cars. (well was last time I lived there about 3 years ago)

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 11:14 AM   #9
Dodge
i like to be stroked

i bet the petrol companies love us, burning around in old bangers burning up gas like there is no 2morrow
Old 10-01-2005, 11:19 AM   #10
LTDHO
The one and only

Thumbs down

I think it comes down to running cost.

With old cars than need leaded petrol they will cost heaps to run. Premium plus additive. It will be cheaper to buy an EA or VN and run on ULP..

So effectively phasing out old cars.
Only ones left will be, collectables, those on LPG, and those with modified heads.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 11:38 AM   #11
Dodge
i like to be stroked

wrong LTDHO, its cheaper to rip of the head and change the valves and seats.
who would swap a XY for a EA ?? rocks in ya head
Old 10-01-2005, 11:41 AM   #12
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just as I decide to boost my mini and restore it this goes and happens! Its a sign, the mini needs VTEC or hayabusa power
Old 10-01-2005, 11:55 AM   #13
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawsterfobik

We had a bit of a discussion on this last night, and it was brought up that it may be talking about if you own an old car, you will have to get a roadworthy every 12 months... Which i think is a good idea, but they should bring that in for all cars. Maybe newer ones every 2 years.

what do you term old? 10 years? 15 years?

i bet my 31 year old Gt is in better nick than most 15 year old cars. my point being is most classic cars are owned by enthusiasts who make damn sure their cars are roadworthy and don't need a fat cat charging more money to tell them. then again it may be another way of enthusiasts not falling into line and being legislated off the road.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 12:10 PM   #14
gekko
Starter Motor

Damn, is that all it is? I was hoping I could pick up an old classic for virtually nothing ;)
gekko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 12:27 PM   #15
460cixy
burn out king

whens this spose to air? i wouldent mind watching it for a good giggle. next we will have to buy new cars even tho its more enviromentaly friendly to keep an old car going than manufacture a new one. as for useing unleaded just do it till ya head dies and get it recoed with all the goodys and ya laughin
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 12:31 PM   #16
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Have been told best thing to do is use a 98 ron petrol with some upper cylinder lubricant..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 01:39 PM   #17
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can also get in line additive systems - so you top up the system's tank every so often and it administers the right mix over a number of tankfuls. While I do drive a newer car, I can see the people who can't afford it and those who love the classics won't be rushing for the post unleaded cars in a hurry because of this.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 01:46 PM   #18
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Oh no! I'll have to sell my car!
Old 10-01-2005, 01:53 PM   #19
klawsterfobik

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak351
what do you term old? 10 years? 15 years?

i bet my 31 year old Gt is in better nick than most 15 year old cars. my point being is most classic cars are owned by enthusiasts who make damn sure their cars are roadworthy and don't need a fat cat charging more money to tell them. then again it may be another way of enthusiasts not falling into line and being legislated off the road.
I'd say 15 years old. The thing is that if you keep your car roadworthy then what have you got to worry about? Most car enthusiasts who enjoy working with their old car keep it in top notch condition, and have cars that exceed roadworthy conditions.

I think it could definately work in our favour, having a car that needs to get a roadworthy every 12 months would ensure that the bombs are kept off our highways etc. They might even give us some kickbacks, like lighter rego fee's etc. Though i doubt it... they'll find some way of getting the money out of it.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:55 PM   #20
Roadrunner
100% snafu

Yeah, in the UK you have to have a roadworthy every year unless your car is new (then you can hold of for three years) which can be a drag but at least it cuts down on the deathtraps clogging the roads up, one bonus is classic cars dont have to pay road tax though (if I remember rightly) which is a heap of money over there, especially for larger engined cars.
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 03:01 PM   #21
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawsterfobik
I'd say 15 years old. The thing is that if you keep your car roadworthy then what have you got to worry about? Most car enthusiasts who enjoy working with their old car keep it in top notch condition, and have cars that exceed roadworthy conditions.

I think it could definately work in our favour, having a car that needs to get a roadworthy every 12 months would ensure that the bombs are kept off our highways etc. They might even give us some kickbacks, like lighter rego fee's etc. Though i doubt it... they'll find some way of getting the money out of it.

yes your right. if this sort of legislation keeps the crap off the roads then that has to be a good thing. the down fall will be having to pay for the road worthy every year whereas now you don't, so it will mean more taxes via gst.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 03:11 PM   #22
klawsterfobik

My brother in law is a mechanic comes in handy. Whats a roadworthy worth? $50? I spend more on that on food for the week.

If they make roadworthy's mandatory then they should bring the price down. But i can see an oppertunity for the "dodgy roadworthy" shops to get up and going
Old 10-01-2005, 03:14 PM   #23
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak351
yes your right. if this sort of legislation keeps the crap off the roads then that has to be a good thing. the down fall will be having to pay for the road worthy every year whereas now you don't, so it will mean more taxes via gst.
We here in the Revenue State (NSW) have had to do this for years. It is a right royal PITA. I always leave it to the last minute and have to hurry a few minor repairs thru at the 11th hour to bring her up-to-scratch. But to be honest, it really is a neccessity.

However, there will always be plenty of shonksters who will roadworthy *anything* for the right amount of the folding stuff.

You will see just as many sh!tboxes around and wonder how the hell they passed.

I had a guy register my old XD some years ago, complete with holes in the floor and boot and major structural rust if I put some new front shocks on.

The XD got new shocks that day. :hihi:

I later sold it to a Scottish backpacker who was going to drive it from Sydney to Perth. I always wonder if it made it?

Last edited by FFOracing; 10-01-2005 at 03:18 PM.
FNQracing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 04:03 PM   #24
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460cixy
whens this spose to air? i wouldent mind watching it for a good giggle. next we will have to buy new cars even tho its more enviromentaly friendly to keep an old car going than manufacture a new one. as for useing unleaded just do it till ya head dies and get it recoed with all the goodys and ya laughin
It was advertised for tonight...
Old 10-01-2005, 07:51 PM   #25
klawsterfobik

i think i missed it... :( and i really wanted to watch it.

Can someone give me the jist of what it was about please?
Old 10-01-2005, 07:54 PM   #26
klawsterfobik

Heres the transcript from the show, for those like me who missed it.

http://seven.com.au/todaytonight/story/?id=17964

Last edited by klawsterfobik; 10-01-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:21 PM   #27
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFOracing
We here in the Revenue State (NSW) have had to do this for years. It is a right royal PITA. I always leave it to the last minute and have to hurry a few minor repairs thru at the 11th hour to bring her up-to-scratch. But to be honest, it really is a neccessity.

However, there will always be plenty of shonksters who will roadworthy *anything* for the right amount of the folding stuff.

You will see just as many sh!tboxes around and wonder how the hell they passed.

I had a guy register my old XD some years ago, complete with holes in the floor and boot and major structural rust if I put some new front shocks on.

The XD got new shocks that day. :hihi:

I later sold it to a Scottish backpacker who was going to drive it from Sydney to Perth. I always wonder if it made it?

I can get my XD inspected over the phone. Family friend.
I don't like it, as I KNOW my car is in roadworthy condition.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 08:44 PM   #28
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
If you drive a car made before 1986, leaded fuel was your only choice at the bowser. But as of January 1, it is no longer an option.
Funny that, my gf's 1984 323 runs fine on the factory head and 91 RON ULP....

Quote:
"A converter is $400 and I can't pay that," Mr James said. "It's greatly devalued my car it's not worth anything to me - it may as well go for scrap metal."
A converter? WTF?! I thought we were doing the head to run on ULP, not installing LPG.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 09:08 PM   #29
Olympus
Rocket Fuel Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner
Yeah, in the UK you have to have a roadworthy every year unless your car is new (then you can hold of for three years) which can be a drag but at least it cuts down on the deathtraps clogging the roads up, one bonus is classic cars dont have to pay road tax though (if I remember rightly) which is a heap of money over there, especially for larger engined cars.
Yeah, your not wrong buddy, Holland is exactly like this.
You also pay roadtax based on how heavy your car is too, no wonder lots of people buy little 3-4 cilinder cars.
Not to mention that it costs you a fortune to get your license, IF you get it first pop! Apprently the exams are full on and they cost 300 euro per exam ! Plus you have to 18.
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 09:42 PM   #30
klawsterfobik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Gelder
Not to mention that it costs you a fortune to get your license, IF you get it first pop! Apprently the exams are full on and they cost 300 euro per exam ! Plus you have to 18.
Whats wrong with that? It would keep the d!ckhead idiots that cant drive off our roads.

Theres also an article about the killing off of LRP in Australian Muscle Car magazine this month. Says that the only Valve Lubricant that has been tested in UK that is available here in Aus is ValveMaster. So thats what ill be buying from now on.