Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-08-2016, 10:12 PM   #1
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AU Fairmont factory satnav

Wondering if anyone here has retro fitted the factory satnav setup into their AU and can provide some info for me please?

Looking to get my hands on a complete setup and wondering what is involved if I was to remove the setup from a wreck, wiring etc.
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2016, 05:29 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: AU Fairmont factory satnav

It's a bit of effort but not impossible as there was a dealer fit option kit. They used a boot mounted DVD player for the Nav disc and a couple of unique wiring harnesses but otherwise it's just cabling.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-08-2016, 01:53 PM   #3
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

14087274_1066263436793320_1650535157_o by Christopher Hollett, on Flickr

Here is my set up... not yet in the wagon but it will go in with the dash swap.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #4
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Update: I'm making a start on removing the high-series (colour) SatNav setup from my AUII Ghia and I can see it quickly becoming a mammoth task.

So I removed the easy bits: Prem Sound head unit, woodgrain LCD surround, main fascia and the actual LCD . With this lot removed it's pretty clear the mounting brackets for the LCD and the relocation bracket for the head unit are both spot welded into place, over the top of the normal mounting brackets for a non-SatNav car.

This bracketry is all integrated with the steel structure of the dashboard. I suppose one option would be to use a die grinder to remove all the spot welds but you'd have to carefully take note of positioning first, assuming Ford had used a template.

Next I plan to remove the dashboard and swap it completely. I can take a few pics if anyone's interested?
Old 15-03-2017, 02:47 PM   #5
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

So you're removing the Satnav from the Ghia and installing in the TE50?
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2017, 04:00 PM   #6
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post
So you're removing the Satnav from the Ghia and installing in the TE50?
That was the plan but I didn't expect it to be such a big job!
Old 15-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #7
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

As mentioned above, there's quite a bit of playing around with wiring and looms as it's well integrated into the car's dash and body looms but it's doable. May be easier if you don't run everything as per factory look/spec/locations.
Old 15-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #8
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You're right, there's a decent wiring loom which runs from the dashboard, under the centre console, under the carpet beneath the drivers seat and then (?...) - haven't got that far.

The navigator voice runs through the cars audio (as opposed to the B&W SatNav system which has it's own single speaker) so the wiring definitely piggy backs into the Premium Sound system, which thankfully both cars were factory optioned with so that should help...

10 minute job to take the front seats out of the Ghia to make the job easier with routing the loom. Plus I'll give the carpet a shampoo and give everything a clean while I'm at it so that's fine.

I have found the GPS antenna runs from the boot-mounted DVD unit and onto the rear parcel shelf where it's double sided taped in place.

DVD unit hangs on the underside of the parcel shelf, in the boot cradled in a bracket which is just pop riveted into place so I'll carefully drill out the pop rivets and pop rivet it back into place for that "factory look" haha.
Old 20-03-2017, 02:36 PM   #9
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This weekend I removed the complete dashboard assembly from the Ghia. Pretty big job but it's not so bad if you take lots of photos during the process and label each plug and set of screws/bolts as you remove them.

Seats out, dash out, carpet out (and headliner out for a re-trim) and then it's a case of following where the wiring goes for the satnav.

What I've found so far:

1. A short wiring loom piggy backs into the existing Premium Sound loom (behind the head unit). This plugs into the main satnav loom. Assumedly this is where the audio integration happens?

2. The main satnav loom runs under the centre console and under the drivers seat where it branches off in two directions. One direction heads forwards again, to the drivers side kick panel where it plugs into a short wiring loom which piggy backs into the main wiring for the dash. Guessing this is where it gets its power and ignition position signal from? The other direction of the satnav loom goes along the floorpan, up under the back seat and into the DVD unit under the parcel shelf.

3. From there it also runs along through the boot to the back of the car where it plugs in-between a connector in the boot, below the drivers side rear light. Not sure what this is... Thinking this is where it detects night/day (whether the lights are on/off) but I'm really not sure.

Also, the dashboard needed to be completely disassembled to get the metal frame out (with the satnav and radio mounting brackets). Again, lots of photos and a spare dashboard helped.
3 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2017, 06:52 PM   #10
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Interesting stuff mate... I didn't get to remove mine so haven't seen how it all goes... will be interesting figuring it out when I finally get to it!
Might have to come visit you!!!
Old 28-03-2017, 04:57 PM   #11
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You're definitely welcome to come and have a look at anything you need when you get around to tackling it yourself.

My Ghia is all back together and completely satnav free. While the interior was stripped I cleaned the carpet, seats, console, all the interior plastics (even cleaned the floor pan) and also stripped and re-covered the headliner with new grey felt. Inside is spotless now!

I just need to find an AU2/3 Premium Sound head unit to fill the stereo void, ideally in grey but black would be fine too. Then it's all 100% stock standard and original looking.

Next, to instal into the TE50... Maybe later...
2 users like this post:
Old 28-03-2017, 05:34 PM   #12
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Hopefully the loom that I have is complete!! I should check.

Interesting that you had to change the whole metal frame to use the one from the Ghia... that's a worry, because I don't have it!! And fat chance of me finding one either!
Old 29-03-2017, 12:51 PM   #13
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman View Post
You're definitely welcome to come and have a look at anything you need when you get around to tackling it yourself.

My Ghia is all back together and completely satnav free. While the interior was stripped I cleaned the carpet, seats, console, all the interior plastics (even cleaned the floor pan) and also stripped and re-covered the headliner with new grey felt. Inside is spotless now!

I just need to find an AU2/3 Premium Sound head unit to fill the stereo void, ideally in grey but black would be fine too. Then it's all 100% stock standard and original looking.

Next, to instal into the TE50... Maybe later...
I have a 6 stack unit (missing tape deck so not premium) in grey available if you're stuck.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:32 PM   #14
EATHSV
Oo---oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFalcon View Post
Hopefully the loom that I have is complete!! I should check.

Interesting that you had to change the whole metal frame to use the one from the Ghia... that's a worry, because I don't have it!! And fat chance of me finding one either!
It's ideal to replace the entire structure as there is an extra bracket that is different. But i dare say it could be replicated with some flat metal and enough photos.

Just did the swap with a mate tonight. Once the dash is out and you run the loom through the car its just a case of attaching in all the relevent plug locations.

Successful transactions with the following members:
Ride, Raised by Monkeys, TICK4D-TAS, Falcman007, 2002AU, JC.
EATHSV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #15
bmwboi36
Starter Motor

I just grind the part hold the org stacker in and used it on the bottom which is enough support done it with 2 cars I had with Fairlanes don't have any noise and no movement.Can add pic if need due to changing into another Fairlane V8. try ASL Media i think do exchange units but might sell one comes 12 months warranty
bmwboi36 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post