Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 01-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #211
Mondaveo

Default Re: What problems have you had with your Mondeo?

Just collected my car from the insurer's panel beater yesterday.

They replaced the passenger side fender, front door and indicator lens, repaired the gouge in the back door and renovated the alloy wheel.

They did an okay job. Colour match looks good. Panel gap between the doors is not 100% even, but no worse than some I've seen out of the factory.

They were unable to replace my torn front mud spat because they don't deal in aftermarket parts. I told them at the time of dropoff that it wasn't OEM, but apparently they forgot and stuffed around for two days sourcing a mud spat that wasn't going to fit. As a consequence I received the car missing some of the clips in the wheel arch as well as the OEM end cap/mini mud spat that dresses the front end of the side skirt, which apparently they didn't know was a thing. I've requested that they post the end cap to me and I'll fit it myself. Likewise the aftermarket mud spat I can buy myself and get the insurer to reimburse.

Other complaints (most only noticed after I collected the car):
  • Passenger side exterior mirror scalp not seated properly.
  • Passenger side front tweeter surround not even close to seated properly.
  • Glue residue on passenger door interior trim.
  • Interior surfaces covered in fine dust because they leave the window open while the car is in the workshop.

But at least the panels are straight again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.

Last edited by Mondaveo; 01-04-2017 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Formatting
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2017, 07:41 PM   #212
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On balance, that's pretty poor. If they can't sort it all out for you, then I'd suggest that you go to your insurer.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:48 PM   #213
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post
On balance, that's pretty poor. If they can't sort it all out for you, then I'd suggest that you go to your insurer.
Yeah, it's the little things that spoil the experience and undermine confidence in the work done.

I found out after dropping the car off that the repairer is owned by the same conglomerate as the insurer (Suncorp) so you can guess the kinds of interests that would be at play (and they do instruct you to direct all enquiries to the insurer). From reading Google reviews it seems my experience is pretty typical - yes they fix the car quickly, but if you get annoyed over little details not done right, you may find lots to complain over.

I just discovered that they evidently used my spare wheel while the road wheel was being repaired, and on returning the spare wheel to the boot they didn't bother to refit the retaining bolt that holds it in place. That's the last straw for me so I will be starting a dialogue with the insurer to put my dissatisfaction on record ahead of (hopefully not) finding anything more fundamentally wrong...

Quote:
Old 02-04-2017, 10:31 PM   #214
Mondaveo

Washed the car today (it was filthy) so I could give it a close inspection, and found even more to complain...
  • New paint already chipped near door handle.
  • New paint already has fine scratches/swirls (this might have been my father-in-law running his hands over the dusty panels to inspect their shape).
  • Imperfections in new paint - I found tiny dimples and bumps from trapped foreign matter on the guard and front door, and ripples where they've used filler on the rear door. Not widespread and only noticeable close up, but they add up. The most egregious is a small hair embedded in the paint near the bottom of front door.
  • Side skirt is not flush with front guard and has a large gap. Prior to repair it was flush, the other side is flush.
  • Front passenger door doesn't seem to close as well as it used to, you have to push it a bit harder to get it to shut and it sounds different.

I might be asking too much, but probably going to take it back at this point

Quote:
3 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2017, 05:53 PM   #215
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

After narrowly avoiding a collision (heavy braking an swerving) with a driver who forgot to switch their lights on the other night, I now have a permanent "Pre collision avoidance system not available" alert and the cruise control isn't working.

Also, when washing it today, noticed that the chrome trim strips on the doors have patches of discolouration like the chrome is corroding.

Back to the dealer again.

2014 MD Titanium Hatch Ecoboost Auto
Old 16-05-2017, 06:20 PM   #216
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xahh View Post
After narrowly avoiding a collision (heavy braking an swerving) with a driver who forgot to switch their lights on the other night, I now have a permanent "Pre collision avoidance system not available" alert and the cruise control isn't working.

Also, when washing it today, noticed that the chrome trim strips on the doors have patches of discolouration like the chrome is corroding.

Back to the dealer again.

2014 MD Titanium Hatch Ecoboost Auto
All fixed.
The cruise control module behind the front bumper was toast and had to be replaced. Glad that one happened during the warranty period! Second hand modules cost an arm and leg from the US.
Old 16-05-2017, 06:28 PM   #217
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
All fixed.
The cruise control module behind the front bumper was toast and had to be replaced. Glad that one happened during the warranty period! Second hand modules cost an arm and leg from the US.
Glad to hear mate!
Old 16-05-2017, 07:16 PM   #218
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
All fixed.
Did they say whether it was as a result of your near miss?
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2017, 08:29 PM   #219
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

They were unable to determine the cause of failure so the module has gone back to Ford technology head office for analysis, wherever that is nowadays.
Old 17-05-2017, 01:04 AM   #220
gh172

MY11 MC Zetec diesel Mondeo. For some time now the a/c buttons have been faulty. Press the button for the face and the air comes out of the de-mist vents. Press the feet button and it comes out of the main vents. Very frustrating!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 17-05-2017, 09:09 AM   #221
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Try the diagnostic self-check scan, I can't remember the last time I tried it but it did fix a weird issue like yours, my vents lost position till I did that.

google it but it was something like pwr on, press and hold legs + 'something' till it enters diagnostic mode.
Old 18-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #222
gh172

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
Try the diagnostic self-check scan, I can't remember the last time I tried it but it did fix a weird issue like yours, my vents lost position till I did that.

google it but it was something like pwr on, press and hold legs + 'something' till it enters diagnostic mode.
Thank You for the feedback, I'll give it a try.

Old 19-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #223
blue17
Starter Motor

Had a 2008 MA TCDI and the only problem I had was with the power steering which started whining and the reservoir was frothing. Was surprised to find the reservoir had an inbuilt filter (no reason I could see for having a filter but so be it) which was clogged up. Of cause you could just not replace the filter but the had to buy the full kit and cost about $800 including labour. The power steering fluid that came out was very dark and obviously contaminated with something.

Won't be a problem with my new MD with electric steering!!

Last edited by blue17; 19-05-2017 at 08:07 PM. Reason: wrong build date
blue17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2017, 11:35 PM   #224
gh172

Quote:

Gave it a go but no luck unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 21-05-2017, 12:44 AM   #225
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

ok looks likely to be the motor assembly.
Old 21-05-2017, 09:39 AM   #226
gh172

Quote:
ok looks likely to be the motor assembly.
Ouch! I bet that will be costly.
Cheers.

Old 13-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #227
2ndMondeo
Starter Motor

Yesterday the MD started shuddering on acceleration. Ford will be replacing the drive shaft.
2011 Renault Megane RS250 Trophy
2007 MA Mondeo XR5
2ndMondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2017, 06:45 PM   #228
Mondaveo

Unhappy Re: What problems have you had with your Mondeo?

After more than a year of searching, I finally found someone selling a single MC Titanium 18" alloy wheel and new tyre, and snapped it up as a replacement spare for my car. I wanted to have a spare that matches my road wheels, as although the OEM spare is full-sized, it is only a 16" steel wheel and tyre (as on an LX) and carries a speed restriction due to mismatched size.

I take out the OEM spare from the spare wheel recess, and try to fit my new spare in its place. I'm flabbergasted to find it just doesn't fit. Putting the original and my replacement side-by-side, the widths of the tyres look the same but the diameter on my new one is just a bit bigger. It's too tight in the spare wheel recess and won't settle all the way down.

After some internal debate, I decide to try it with the air let out of the tyre. That allows me to shove it in a bit further and almost-but-not-quite get the carpet floor flat over it. The obvious problem is addressed by adding a portable inflator to my emergency kit. Still, I'm disappointed this doesn't work as neatly as I'd expected, and astonished they designed the recess to be too small for the original wheels (although granted being a Titanium they're not quite standard size)...

Maybe when I get new tyres I'll keep one of the worn ones and switch the spare over to it, being worn down it may fit in the recess just that tiny bit better than the new tyre...

Quote:
Old 16-09-2017, 09:36 PM   #229
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
After more than a year of searching, I finally found someone selling a single MC Titanium 18" alloy wheel and new tyre, and snapped it up as a replacement spare for my car. I wanted to have a spare that matches my road wheels, as although the OEM spare is full-sized, it is only a 16" steel wheel and tyre (as on an LX) and carries a speed restriction due to mismatched size.

I take out the OEM spare from the spare wheel recess, and try to fit my new spare in its place. I'm flabbergasted to find it just doesn't fit. Putting the original and my replacement side-by-side, the widths of the tyres look the same but the diameter on my new one is just a bit bigger. It's too tight in the spare wheel recess and won't settle all the way down.

After some internal debate, I decide to try it with the air let out of the tyre. That allows me to shove it in a bit further and almost-but-not-quite get the carpet floor flat over it. The obvious problem is addressed by adding a portable inflator to my emergency kit. Still, I'm disappointed this doesn't work as neatly as I'd expected, and astonished they designed the recess to be too small for the original wheels (although granted being a Titanium they're not quite standard size)...

Maybe when I get new tyres I'll keep one of the worn ones and switch the spare over to it, being worn down it may fit in the recess just that tiny bit better than the new tyre...
The spare i thought is a space saver on all models. My LX has a full size spare (steel) and sits high in the boot. Not too noticeable but the edges of the boot mat drop away to the sides around it.

If you want to get rid of the steel spare let me know i could give it a good home.
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-09-2017, 11:36 PM   #230
Mondaveo

I believe there was a factory upgrade option for full-size spare, or else I just lucked out with the car I bought. It has a foam structure around the wheel well that raises the cargo floor up to sit flat over the full-size wheel, and the floor mat also has a rolled lip at the rear to neatly meet the tailgate opening (and punk you by making your shopping bags roll out if you leave them too far toward the back).

Unfortunately with the 18" wheel not nestling all the way down, mine now also has a (slight) hump, which really bugs me.

I'll let you know if I decide to get rid of the 16" spare, there's a chance I might go back to it if I can't make this one satisfactory...

Quote:

Last edited by Mondaveo; 16-09-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Old 24-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #231
lotusproject

My Mondeo MD Trend has a strange problem which I will be taking up with Ford shortly.
Twice now, the battery has gone dead flat while the car has been standing, locked, for 2 or 3 days. The first time I thought I must have left a light on somewhere. The second time, 2 or 3 months later, I checked this out once I had access with some charge back in the battery. All lights were in the off position and the boot light was extinguished. The RAA guy checked it and said it was down to 2 volts. The alternator is OK and he couldn't discover a current leak with a quick check. The battery is also OK but would probably not be improved with the charge getting so low.
any ideas anyone, please?
lotusproject is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2017, 04:31 PM   #232
DougalXR6

I have had the same thing happen with my Trend once in the 20 months I have owned it. I had to call the NRMA to start the car and they were unable to find any reason for the battery to go flat.

I suspect what may have happened was I knocked the blinker stalk as I got out of the car and did not notice. You may not be aware that with the Mondeo you are able to turn on the parking lights on one side of the car if you leave the blinker stalk in the on position. There is a soft and short beep sound when activated however, it is easy to miss if you aren't aware of the feature.

Now I am aware of this feature I notice if I activate it by accident when leaving the car. I have not had the battery go flat again since that first time a year ago.

The car was unused in the garage for five weeks while I was overseas and still started when I returned like I had only been away for one day.
DougalXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2017, 10:47 PM   #233
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougalXR6 View Post
I have had the same thing happen with my Trend once in the 20 months I have owned it. I had to call the NRMA to start the car and they were unable to find any reason for the battery to go flat.

I suspect what may have happened was I knocked the blinker stalk as I got out of the car and did not notice. You may not be aware that with the Mondeo you are able to turn on the parking lights on one side of the car if you leave the blinker stalk in the on position. There is a soft and short beep sound when activated however, it is easy to miss if you aren't aware of the feature.

Now I am aware of this feature I notice if I activate it by accident when leaving the car. I have not had the battery go flat again since that first time a year ago.

The car was unused in the garage for five weeks while I was overseas and still started when I returned like I had only been away for one day.
My 1995 Golf had the same feature so it's not exactly new, maybe only European or german cars had this as standard?
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2017, 09:35 AM   #234
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougalXR6 View Post

I had this problem with my MC Titanium, except it would happen randomly, without the stalk moved up or down. Pulled the stalk module out and cleaned the contacts and no problems since.
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2017, 03:23 AM   #235
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does any other Ecoboost owner have soot coming out of their exhaust? It also seems to skip a beat every now and then at idle - not sure if related.

2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)

Last edited by NX74205; 04-10-2017 at 03:30 AM.
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2017, 08:29 AM   #236
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Carbon yes that's normal for EFI, the occasional miss not so much but that in itself doesn't mean there's a big issue, some people can get a bit sensitive on such matters.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:40 AM   #237
DougalXR6

[QUOTE=NX74205;6011371]Does any other Ecoboost owner have soot coming out of their exhaust? It also seems to skip a beat every now and then at idle - not sure if related.

The exhaust on my MD EcoBoost looks very similar.

I have also noticed that while idling at the traffic lights it can hesitate occasionally, although it is very rare. I was going to mention it at the last service however decided not too when it didn't happen for at least a month prior to the service.
DougalXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #238
Thebeloved5
Starter Motor

Hi , i just both 2003 ford mondeo 2.0 sedan automatic. I notice when reaching stop light and i press the brake it will sudenly stall. Can i have some idea ti fix this problem.
Thebeloved5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2017, 10:13 PM   #239
Dgalle

Had my MD Titanium Wagon for 2 months now (MY17) and just had the 3,000km peace of mind service. Had two problems - one my fault - I hit a pothole and blew a hole in the sidewalk of the front left tyre. The other was an electronic bug, the auto stop-start had stopped working (only worked for the first week). Ford couldn’t find a fault, but a master reset of the software fixed it.

2010 WT Fiesta Zetec, phantom blue.
Dgalle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2017, 12:36 AM   #240
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebeloved5 View Post
Hi , i just both 2003 ford mondeo 2.0 sedan automatic. I notice when reaching stop light and i press the brake it will sudenly stall. Can i have some idea ti fix this problem.
Can be a few areas, I'd start with the Idle Air Control Valve and get it cleaned.

Clean the Throttle body and MAP sensor in case they're gummed up.

Disconnect the Power Steering pressure switch and go for a test drive. Obviously reconnect it if it still stalls.

Otherwise look at vacuum leaks, egr operation.