Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 21-02-2005, 12:52 PM   #1
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Default Nitto tyres

About to purchase some 2nd hand Nitto tyres ( 555R's 245x45x17) to use soley for the drags.

There has been some comments on the forum lately about people using "STREET TYRES" and getting some really good times which is a great result.

I plan to use these Nittos for 2 reasons:

1.....to save my Dunlop 9000's
2.....to get a better time at the track

My question is a simple one I hope.....do you think I would get a better time with an edit without the Nittos or no edit but with Nittos?

I ask this because some people seemed to question my cars 13.42 because I was running Nittos and this gave me a greater advantage however I would've thought the edit gives you an advanatge as well, as does changing diff gears, and revised cold air etc etc...

Are these 555R's Street legal and do people perceive that by running the tyres it is "streching the rules"....I would've thought that if they are street legal then all they are doing is allowing the car to take full advantage of what other mods have been done to the car.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Brad

"I wasn't speeding officer...I was qualifying"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347_XR8
If the Grim Reaper drove a car....it would have to be that car!
GT 8888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 12:59 PM   #2
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8888
About to purchase some 2nd hand Nitto tyres ( 555R's 245x45x17) to use soley for the drags.

There has been some comments on the forum lately about people using "STREET TYRES" and getting some really good times which is a great result.

I plan to use these Nittos for 2 reasons:

1.....to save my Dunlop 9000's
2.....to get a better time at the track

My question is a simple one I hope.....do you think I would get a better time with an edit without the Nittos or no edit but with Nittos?

I ask this because some people seemed to question my cars 13.42 because I was running Nittos and this gave me a greater advantage however I would've thought the edit gives you an advanatge as well, as does changing diff gears, and revised cold air etc etc...

Are these 555R's Street legal and do people perceive that by running the tyres it is "streching the rules"....I would've thought that if they are street legal then all they are doing is allowing the car to take full advantage of what other mods have been done to the car.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Brad
Mate, its your car, noones questioning your car that i can see, its just ppl have different opinions of whats a street car, and whats not. Tyres are going to always be the weak link unless you run a good drag tyre. Its upto you to decide what tyre u use. Times can be had with street tyres, they dont need to be nittos ect.

Tuning an engine with a chip or an edit isnt the same as running a race tyre. IMO

End of the day race with what u are comfortable with. If u had problems comming to GRIP with the street tyres use the nittos. Either way have fun.

Silhouette FG F6 Xtreme Ford Tuning spec, Power so far 1100+RWHP

FG XR8 Ute 3 speed auto and converter and 9 inch XFT built 5.4 SCJ engine 4.0 litre Whipple 9.40 @ 148 mph Fastest Modular blown Falcon in Aus 4180pounds.

FG GS Miami/Coyote Ute Auto. XFT Xtreme 5.0 Coyote package 10.84 stock blower.

XFT F6E Stage III XFT Engine, stage III XFT ZF along with our new XFT Set up precision, quickest FG ZF with a 9.25@150 MPH
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 02:23 PM   #3
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Hi Brad if your not buying them send me a PM...very lucky to find them 2nd hand...
They are street legal...so you can drive to the track with them on..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW

Last edited by SpoolMan; 21-02-2005 at 02:25 PM.
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
Hi Brad if your not buying them send me a PM...very lucky to find them 2nd hand...
Mark...its a done deal...pick them up on Wednesday....

PM also sent.

Brad

Quote:
Old 21-02-2005, 03:46 PM   #5
GT-P 738
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Gees,maybe i should get some of these STREET LEGAL TYRES. : and go run a twelve.

"Hate it or love,the underdogs on top"
GT-P 738 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 07:07 PM   #6
wrx365
FPV GT 0169

Xr888 There are basically two sets of time you need on the strip and on the road..If you want bragging rights about the fastes 1/4 mile times then anything goes..u are there to get the fastest time...'

If you however want to feel good about beating people on the road then you optimise the car for the road...

I have seen a few cars that score great times at the track and then get whipped on the road and vice versa...it depends on what you want..
Old 21-02-2005, 07:11 PM   #7
MRJUCY
Fordless

If a tyre is street legal & has full tread then its a street tyre you'll find people will always find excuses to bitch about if your faster then them but hey the dunlops will be faster then retreads & Nittos will be faster then Dunlops & that is what racing is all about isn't it going fast.
I race on the same tyres I drive with but I do wish I had a dedicated set for the races to preserve my streeters & also I wish I could keep my race tyres in good nick by not driving on them all the time so I'd say go for it if you've got the cash.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 07:57 PM   #8
rodderz

Gday Brad

I have used the Nitto 555R's before, great tyre for the strip. I did a PB on them with the mph but got the same ET with the dunlops. Unfortunately I didnt have too many opportunities to use them, one week was rained out at calder, the next week it was busy and I got only a few runs.

They smoke up like hell....try 2nd gear for a while and wait till the cabin is empty of smoke...lol. I found it hard to adjust as I wasnt sure how much grip they get, so i took off too casual, then took off too hard and they bogged down from the good grip they got. Need more revs and a great launch. Ask Kev, he got a 1.8 60' with Toyo's

I wouldnt mind trying them again as I got a 2.0 60' with them and bogged the star5t also, but still managed 106mph...hopefully there will be a low 13 or so there
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 08:07 PM   #9
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Gday Brad

I have used the Nitto 555R's before, great tyre for the strip. I did a PB on them with the mph but got the same ET with the dunlops. Unfortunately I didnt have too many opportunities to use them, one week was rained out at calder, the next week it was busy and I got only a few runs.

They smoke up like hell....try 2nd gear for a while and wait till the cabin is empty of smoke...lol. I found it hard to adjust as I wasnt sure how much grip they get, so i took off too casual, then took off too hard and they bogged down from the good grip they got. Need more revs and a great launch. Ask Kev, he got a 1.8 60' with Toyo's

I wouldnt mind trying them again as I got a 2.0 60' with them and bogged the star5t also, but still managed 106mph...hopefully there will be a low 13 or so there
Mate I'll be taking them to Heathcotte...perhaps you could have a run on them then if you want.

Brad

Quote:
Old 21-02-2005, 08:13 PM   #10
rodderz

Only if ya let me!
Old 21-02-2005, 08:32 PM   #11
GT-P 738
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Only if ya let me!
dO IT MAN DO IT. :

Old 21-02-2005, 08:42 PM   #12
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Quote:
Only if ya let me!
Only if you say pretty please _

WE'll have a chat at the FPV OPen Day if you are going....I'll be with the FPV & XR Club of SA....look me up....you'll know my car from my plates.

Brad

Quote:
Old 21-02-2005, 08:48 PM   #13
rodderz

No worries Brad

Be sure to say hello to the crew at the AFF stand too!
Old 21-02-2005, 10:51 PM   #14
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-P 738
Gees,maybe i should get some of these STREET LEGAL TYRES. : and go run a twelve.
Go do it don’t rob yourself of getting the best ET you can..
when you are making the power you guys are making in the GT's its only a matter of time you will start to get ticked of because of wheel spin, you do 10 runs and only 1 or 2 might be to your cars full potential, go unleash the power … rip up the track.....get Mickey Thompson ET street's...much cheaper than nitto's...
Here there around $300 ea. Nitto’s are appox $475 ea if you can get them.

Old 21-02-2005, 10:54 PM   #15
SpoolMan

Quote:
Mate I'll be taking them to Heathcotte...perhaps you could have a run on them then if you want.

Brad
Brad, Rodderz and Jeff are very good with there launches, see how it goes might throw them the keys..
Rodderz dosn't have a test car anymore...

Old 21-02-2005, 11:39 PM   #16
GT-P 738
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
when you are making the power you guys are making in the GT's its only a matter of time you will start to get ticked of because of wheel spin, you do 10 runs and only 1 or 2 might be to your cars full potential, go unleash the power … rip up the track.....get Mickey Thompson ET street's...much cheaper than nitto's...
Can we get them in 18's

Old 21-02-2005, 11:49 PM   #17
SpoolMan

not sure, i think in mickey tompson 17's are the biggest...Toyo now have a 18 but once again pricey at $500 ea approx..
did you try a 17'' Ford alloy?

Old 21-02-2005, 11:52 PM   #18
MRJUCY
Fordless

Mickey Thompsons only go up to 17s
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2005, 12:03 AM   #19
GT-P 738
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
not sure, i think in mickey tompson 17's are the biggest...Toyo now have a 18 but once again pricey at $500 ea approx..
did you try a 17'' Ford alloy?
Nah the Prawn at the tyre shop wouldn't let me. :tool:

Old 22-02-2005, 12:27 AM   #20
SpoolMan

someone must have a 17 you can try....

Old 22-02-2005, 12:47 AM   #21
GT-P 738
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
someone must have a 17 you can try....
yaeh ive asked the question around but no reply as yet.

Old 22-02-2005, 01:14 AM   #22
GT-P 738
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I still think that i can run a 12 on these street tyres and without changing headers etc,Simon and i are determined to run these cars into the twelves as they are with some more magic tuning.

Old 22-02-2005, 02:43 AM   #23
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-P 738
I still think that i can run a 12 on these street tyres and without changing headers etc,Simon and i are determined to run these cars into the twelves as they are with some more magic tuning.
DAMN straight : :dj:

Silhouette FG F6 Xtreme Ford Tuning spec, Power so far 1100+RWHP

FG XR8 Ute 3 speed auto and converter and 9 inch XFT built 5.4 SCJ engine 4.0 litre Whipple 9.40 @ 148 mph Fastest Modular blown Falcon in Aus 4180pounds.

FG GS Miami/Coyote Ute Auto. XFT Xtreme 5.0 Coyote package 10.84 stock blower.

XFT F6E Stage III XFT Engine, stage III XFT ZF along with our new XFT Set up precision, quickest FG ZF with a 9.25@150 MPH
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2005, 10:15 AM   #24
Boosted
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toyo Proxes Ra-1's are very good, street legal and hook up on the track..
1.7, 60 foot. People have gone into the 11's and high 1.6 60 foot with these tyres!

Last edited by Boosted; 22-02-2005 at 04:58 PM.
Boosted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2005, 10:30 AM   #25
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Quote:
Brad, Rodderz and Jeff are very good with there launches, see how it goes might throw them the keys..
Mark I am quite happy to hand them the keys for a few runs. My Tuner is also looking to come across...he reckons the car can go around 13.1 > 13.2 now with recent mods to the Cold Air and Intake piping....will see how we go.

Will you be at FPV Open Day on Sunday ?

Brad

Quote:
Old 22-02-2005, 12:12 PM   #26
SpoolMan

Quote:
Mark I am quite happy to hand them the keys for a few runs. My Tuner is also looking to come across...he reckons the car can go around 13.1 > 13.2 now with recent mods to the Cold Air and Intake piping....will see how we go.

Will you be at FPV Open Day on Sunday ?

Brad
Brad, it will be good to see you and your tuner at Heathcote.
might see some history made on that night..lol..Pete might even come for a look.
FPV Day, AFF will have a display there, should be around 20 plus from here, see you there..

Old 22-02-2005, 06:45 PM   #27
rodderz

Quote:
Not a BA anyway....

Might have to gee Ray up to bring the XY up to heathcote, or maybe Ben's 400+Hp XW will be ready, gets painted next week...maybe then I can run her in
: :
Old 23-02-2005, 09:10 PM   #28
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute
Hmm Project XW VAN !!!!

Quote:
What about me....I thought I was doing some of the best 60ft times consistant low to mid 1.8's

Yella Terra Supercharged

Power Output?
ENOUGH TO BREAK EVERY THING MORE TIMES THAN I CARE TO COUNT