Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-08-2012, 03:49 AM   #1
jmak44

Default Fixed Camera

I was turning right at the traffic lights and the lights went green so i proceeded to turn only to realise, that only the light to go straight went green and the turning arrow was red.

I was already in the intersection so i had to go there was a fixed camera behind me i didn't recall it flashing even though it was night.

Does that mean if you turn on a green light when the turn arrow is red the camera doesn't pick it up?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 
Default Re: Fixed Camera

I imagine it would be difficult for them to program a camera to know when a car is turning when it shouldn't be while cars travelling in the same direction are allowed.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

If it didnt flash it prob didnt have the camera in it?? I think your safe on this one.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
Hayden1

I've almost done this once and wouldn't be surprised if I've done it without realising
Hayden1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

if you turned on a red arrow, then you would be in trouble

the lack of flash might be your saviour

you are likely to know within days anyway - they are pretty quick to ask for their money. normally you can have them paid within 1 week of the offence
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most cameras can't tell the difference between turning and going straight, it's too hard to calibrate for. Plus you can't miss the flash at night, I'd say your in the clear
Jack960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
Kevaclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack960
Most cameras can't tell the difference between turning and going straight, it's too hard to calibrate for. Plus you can't miss the flash at night, I'd say your in the clear

Where did you get that from????
The magnetic loops under the road are what arms and triggers the camera, it's not a hard thing to program the number of lanes and sensors

Speed camera will tell you what lane you were in when detected, same as red light cameras

As for the lack of a flash(two in fact) yes it would indicate there was no camera in the box that night
99 5.8M Profish plate alloy carport decoration
Kevaclone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
zilo
BANNED

you definitely get pinged turning right on red in Victoria.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
true and it has been happening for over 20 years
i have never been pinged by one, but i was flashed around 1988 and new years morning this year - luckily i had already entered the intersection, so i didn't get the dreaded 2nd flash
Old 05-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
jmak44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
Perhaps if there was no green light going forward and you turned on a red the camera would pick it up no problem but turning on a green light when the turning arrow is red probably would be too much for the camera.

Anyway at the end of the day if i get a ticket i'll have to cop it on the chin.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmak44
Perhaps if there was no green light going forward and you turned on a red the camera would pick it up no problem but turning on a green light when the turning arrow is red probably would be too much for the camera
i don't believe so - leaving the city after new years celebrations i turned right near the tennis centre. i am sure there was a green light and arrow. the arrow changed as i was going through and just after i entered the intersection, it turned red and flashed - i could be wrong, but i have no doubt the light was still green and the arrow was obviously going from green to red

with the money there is to be made, there is no way they would not have made it work for every individual light or arrow

Quote:
when did you actually enter the intersection. after the red or the yellow. if you entered it on yellow, you have nothing to worry about. if you receive a fine, you will have two photos taken. one to show you entered the intersection on red and one to prove you continued through. generally you see 2 flashes if you are to be fined, but i do believe some have infra red cameras, but i have no idea if they are good enough to take photos at night

re-reading your first post, it seems you were already in the intersection when it turned red. if that is the case you have no problems. you can continue through the intersection on red. you just cannot enter it on red, only green or yellow

Last edited by gtxb67; 05-08-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #12
jmak44

I was at the lights and i mistook the green light for a turning arrow so i took off only to realise it was red i had no choice but to keep going it was either that or stop dead in the intersection,

Just as i completed the turn the arrow changed to green whilst the green light to go straight still remained the same.

So basically i entered the intersection before the lights went green to turn.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #13
Kevaclone

Quote:
Perhaps if there was no green light going forward and you turned on a red the camera would pick it up no problem but turning on a green light when the turning arrow is red probably would be too much for the camera.
Don't bet on it

Quote:
Yeah well it was your mistake I guess, no real argument, and saying you didn't realize there was a red arrow might just get you an undue care ticket as well
99 5.8M Profish plate alloy carport decoration
Kevaclone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #14
gtxb67

sorry, i only re-read the second line of your original post. i remember now, but when i was editing i couldn't go back and see it unless i had saved it

considering there was probably no flashes you are probably right, so hopefully you got away with it
even so, depending on where you were when the arrow went green might help you too. probably not, but if the arrow finally went green before the second photo was taken, you could still be right as there needs to be the 2 photos on red to be pinged. once again you will know very shortly because they do like your money to be given over very quickly
Old 05-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #15
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know in queensland (not sure about other states) that they move cameras around so if there was no flash you should be safe. not hard too do mate. i've done it before. you see the green light and no ones coming and you get half way through the intersection and you see a red arrow!!! hope you dont cop a fine as you sound pretty honest about it.
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #16
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have seen people in your situation get flashed. But this was at newer cameras.
If you saw no flash you might be in the clear
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post