Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-06-2016, 01:32 AM   #1
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

Default Griffin Coal Workers 43% Pay Cut

The rapidly changing pace of mining.... Now well under paid?

THE Australian Manufacturing Workers’ Union (AMWU) has condemned a decision handed down by the Fair Work Commission on 9 June, which will see 70 maintenance workers at the Griffin coal mine in Collie, cop a massive 43 per cent pay cut with the stroke of a pen.

The Fair Work Commission has approved an application by The Griffin Coal Mining Company, to terminate the current enterprise agreement between the company and maintenance workers at the mine after its nominal expiry date on July, 10 2016.

After 12 months of protracted negotiations, over which time Griffin has continually tried to cut pay and strip back the working conditions and entitlements fairly negotiated by workers over many years, the Fair Work Commission has ruled that, in the “public interest” the agreement should be terminated as of July 10.

At which time, maintenance workers will then revert back to the Black Coal Mining Industry Award (2010), resulting in a massive 43 per cent pay cut and the loss of entitlements and conditions.

AMWU State Secretary, Steve McCartney, described the decision as an outrageous attack on the workers and their families, and a kick in the guts to the whole Collie community.

“How can the Fair Work Commission describe this decision as being in the “public interest”, when its the workers, their families and the whole Collie community who will suffer as a result of this company’s poor business practices,” he said.

“Here we have a foreign-owned, multi national company, who have run this operation into the ground, and now thanks to the Fair Work Commission Griffin are able to walk away from their responsibility to their workforce and the town.

“In the end, this decision means it will be the Collie community who pay the price for Griffin’s ineptitude.”

Mr McCartney also criticised the Barnett Government’s lack of transition plan for Collie and the local coal mining industry.

“Is the Barnett Government going to just stand by and see these workers, their families and the town of Collie suffer because of the business failings of Griffin Coal?,” he said.

“Its obvious the Barnett Government doesn’t have a transition plan for Collie and the coal mining industry, and they seem determined to sit on their hands and let the town die.

“The AMWU won’t be deserting these workers or Collie, and we’ll be seeking an injunction and appealing the decision to the full bench, as well as pursuing a fair replacement agreement for these workers.”

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
GazzF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2016, 02:31 AM   #2
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Re: Griffin Coal Workers 43% Pay Cut

Where did this article come from as it only tells one side of the story?

It’s impossible to make a judgement on who’s right or wrong when we are not even told what the public interest reasons are that the Fair Work Commission has based this decision on.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 06:02 AM   #3
Highway star

How much are they getting now? If it's anything like here in Qld most coal miners had their 150K salaries slashed or lost their jobs. Anyone working for labour hire companies now are getting around 40-45 p/hr tops with no perks. When has the mining cycle ever been any different? 10 years up 10 years down. I'm just glad I don't work directly in that industry anymore, but it does effect reliant communities and other work force employers.
Highway star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway star View Post
How much are they getting now? If it's anything like here in Qld most coal miners had their 150K salaries slashed or lost their jobs. Anyone working for labour hire companies now are getting around 40-45 p/hr tops with no perks. When has the mining cycle ever been any different? 10 years up 10 years down. I'm just glad I don't work directly in that industry anymore, but it does effect reliant communities and other work force employers.
Exactly. Crocodile tears my friend. While these guys do work in remote area's and do have to endure time away from family they;

1. Still make a good living compared to more urban jobs
2. In most cases have a roster and some one 7/7 work LESS than half the year and still get paid more than people on 5/2
3. Are not forced to do it

The problem has risen where these people, even though earning good coin, finance themselves to far and then when this happens they cry poor..hmm

The above does not apply to all but from my experience is pretty close to the truth.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 07:49 AM   #5
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Down turn in the industry, reduction in coal prices and subsequently turnover.

But Union demands worker keep exorbitant pay and entitlements.

Company goes broke and leaves..

Sounds like Unions are not yet satisfied with ruining manufacturing, mining has to go to.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2016, 08:16 AM   #6
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's funny how the unions got so quickly blamed here.
in my previous job working for a huge coal mining company there were 3 collective bargaining periods over 12 years. each and every one of those periods had that company stalling negotiations by up to 18 months over the wording and interpretation of the document. never once was there a wage/bonus claim from the 3 representing unions.
some of you may need to do a bit of research on union history and company bosses in the coal mining industry before "judging" from a little news snippet or watching ch9 6pm news.

i bet the workers don't get a 43% pay rise when the coal prices double in a few years time.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 08:34 AM   #7
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAK302 View Post
in my previous job working for a huge coal mining company there were 3 collective bargaining periods over 12 years. each and every one of those periods had that company stalling negotiations by up to 18 months over the wording and interpretation of the document. never once was there a wage/bonus claim from the 3 representing unions.
some of you may need to do a bit of research on union history and company bosses in the coal mining industry before "judging" from a little news snippet or watching ch9 6pm news.

i bet the workers don't get a 43% pay rise when the coal prices double in a few years time.
Explain to me how they got the pay they are on now then? Read the article for the answer. They obviously received a pay rise at some stage.

I have plenty of dealings with unions....and in most cases found them to be shortsighted to the ultimate detriment of the workforce they are apparently representing.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 08:36 AM   #8
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAK302 View Post

I'm not taking a side yet, as this article only tells one side of the story

Your post how ever seems to be full of the typical union venom, your talking about the mining industry history, but not this particular company.

I'm sure the company's out for everything it can, but I switch off really quickly when I hear the crying the union does talking about the problems from generations ago.

Was it a question of pay cut or job cut?

What the unions often fail to see is if the company shuts the mine because it's not profitable everyone's out of a job and the town the area is in suffers as a result. If the guys on the ground are massively over paid as a result of the mining boom that has now come to an end and a 43% brings them back inline with rest of the country for the job.

I know I lost mechanics to the mines because my industry couldn't charge the guys out for the rate they were earning in the mines. Some of them I would have loved to have been able to pay what the mines were paying to keep them, but to make it work I would have had to charge them out at $200 an hour and the market wouldn't cut it.

Funny thing is 18months later saw some knocking on the door looking for a job because the mining industry wasn't paying any more, some of these guys would have taken more than a 43% cut after you took in to account allowances they got.

I'm not pro union, in fact I double check everything they say, because often it's full of half truths, personally my 'comrades' and I were screwed over royally by our union, based on a one sided study. This was in favour of an other group of comrades in the same union. And as a result I copped a lot of **** from them

Put simply the only time I have ever experienced work place bullying it was at the hands of the union.

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 08:43 AM   #9
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

I've just finished a 12 hour night shift on a coal mine. Most people that comment have never set foot on a mining lease yet seam to know everything about a miners life and income. These bloke were on mid $125k and now down to $75k approx. People also crap on about how they only work half a year. Well a Monday to Friday job with all your public holidays is only 3/4 of a year and you only work 8 hour days. In 7 days I work more hours than a person working in town for two weeks. If these companies were so broke than why are all the big bosses still getting paid millions. Seams like it always the poor worker who has to suffer first.
Old 14-06-2016, 08:57 AM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo View Post
I've just finished a 12 hour night shift on a coal mine. Most people that comment have never set foot on a mining lease yet seam to know everything about a miners life and income. These bloke were on mid $125k and now down to $75k approx. People also crap on about how they only work half a year. Well a Monday to Friday job with all your public holidays is only 3/4 of a year and you only work 8 hour days. In 7 days I work more hours than a person working in town for two weeks. If these companies were so broke than why are all the big bosses still getting paid millions. Seams like it always the poor worker who has to suffer first.
I work 5/2 and still do 12 hours days....not because I want to but because thats whats required. These days most are doing the job of two/three with staff reductions.

Mining is a league of its own then it comes to bonuses and wages. The site I am at is not that bad but one I recall had a safety bonus of ~$500 p/w in the boom to make sure workers "worked" safe...seriously! That should be a given.

Everyone is doing it tough but if we want this industry, and the companies in it to keep going then we need to bend too.

I havent even had a CPI rise in the 3 years, but thats not just mining.

I think you will find alot of these changes are to weed the glut that was in the industry, they hired literally anyone. There is also a push to get people living closer to mines which isnt a bad thing either. Problem with that is there are two mines within our business that are finding it hard to fill positions because no one wants the roster thats not 7/7. Who would have guess with all the layoffs.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 09:27 AM   #11
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Could always come to Vic and work on the Tullamarine FWY as a road worker, $160k+.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/pa...01-gn7ezb.html

Or work in the La Trobe valley on around $180k
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...fabf5a70a4bd69
Old 14-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #12
BradZ
I'm still alive

What goes up must come down it seems
My industry is rumored to be on the same path if the selling prices of our crop keeps rising.

I know right? Why would you not want more profit each year for no extra work? But with the industry booming as it is, everyone wants the prices to stay as they are.

It's at the point where we don't want to sell for any more in fear of a massive boom ( like mining) then crash.

Time will tell I guess, fingers crossed!

Guess the industry without cheating if you'd seen my comment on another thread haha

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-5000k Headlight conversion
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub
-Pioneer Class D Digital 800W Amp

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Build Thread http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11344773
BradZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #13
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The reality is supply and demand will dictate wages.

When mining was booming and labour shortages in the sector, every company was attracting a work force with better salaries and conditions. All you need was a pulse and you were on $100K minimum.

But now mining is in the toilet, it's back to reality. Salaries and conditions previously offered are no longer sustainable.
4 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 10:41 AM   #14
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whether it's union backed or not, anytime you hear about big business pulling back on industry and either employees lose their job or are forced to take pay cuts, the one thing you never hear is the executives at the top taking a pay cut or losing their job! Shareholders don't always get a fair go either, market share & profitability dictate their dividend, but the good old boys club at the top keep raking in their over-inflated pay packets.
It's the corporate psychopaths who rule the world, not the governments.

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2016, 10:44 AM   #15
FTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it takes a pay cut to stay in a good job then so be it.
I work for a large mining company and am staff. Staff are the only ones who have taken a pay cut (blanket) since we opened nearly 4 years. EA employees have had an increase twice in this period.
It's not nice having a cut but I'd rather that than lose my job

2001 Congo Green AU 111 XR8 sedan, manual option 2G body kit but now wears the Rebel kit

1997 EL GT Sparkling Burgundy, sunroof, auto.

Our former Tickford cars:

1997 XH11 XR8
1998 AU XR8 manual sedan
1999 AU XR8 manual ute
2002 AU XR8 auto sedan, sunroof
FTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 11:02 AM   #16
BradZ
I'm still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
The reality is supply and demand will dictate wages.

When mining was booming and labour shortages in the sector, every company was attracting a work force with better salaries and conditions. All you need was a pulse and you were on $100K minimum.

But now mining is in the toilet, it's back to reality. Salaries and conditions previously offered are no longer sustainable.
Couldn't agree more, my industry attracts all sorts but you aren't on the big bucks straight away which scares a lot of them away.

Stay for a while, let them send you to courses in Agricultural science, horticulture and agronomy and you're set! Your base wage increases every year no matter what but with some qualifications behind you it's even better.

Considering most of our product is exported as we out-supply Australia, dare I say the demand will always be there.

And yes, there's a huge difference between the wages on ground level and upper management, enough to make you sick!

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Old 14-06-2016, 11:10 AM   #17
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The reality is supply and demand will dictate wages
It *should* dictate wages. But we are quasi-socialist here. If times are good, employees expect a share of the spoils. If there's a downturn, employees expect to remain on the same pay/conditions, and for their employer to have put money aside to ride out the downturn, so their job is not at risk. And when that job inevitably goes, its the employer that is blamed for bad management and failing their workforce.

You cant have your cake and eat it too....
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 11:31 AM   #18
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo View Post
These bloke were on mid $125k and now down to $75k approx.
oh the poor souls.

i'd love to be on $75k/yr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I havent even had a CPI rise in the 3 years, but thats not just mining.
my last payrise was $1/hr nearly 6 years ago, and before that it was 4 years, so in the last 10 years its gone up $40/week. i earn less now than i did 10years ago as overtime has also dried up.

i'm in the printing industry.

many industries are doing it extremely tough, but only a handful make the news. hardly going to shed a tear over some overpaid mine workers suddenly back in the real world.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 11:44 AM   #19
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Yes, the socialist attitude is relatively strong in this country I think. The upside is that people are happy to contribute to the welfare system, the downside is that they often expect the same treatment from business.

As for the boys at the top end of town not suffering - that IS supply and demand. Why stay with a troubled company and take a pay cut if you have offers elsewhere? Would that be smart?
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2016, 11:52 AM   #20
BradZ
I'm still alive

Where does everyone stand on internationally owned companies?
Just curious

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Old 14-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #21
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH View Post
Whether it's union backed or not, anytime you hear about big business pulling back on industry and either employees lose their job or are forced to take pay cuts, the one thing you never hear is the executives at the top taking a pay cut or losing their job! Shareholders don't always get a fair go either, market share & profitability dictate their dividend, but the good old boys club at the top keep raking in their over-inflated pay packets.
It's the corporate psychopaths who rule the world, not the governments.
What load of bollocks, you never hear about it because high end salary earners don't have a Union that bleeps about salary cuts or redundancies of Senior Management.

Less than 2 years ago, every salary earner in the multinational construction / Mining / Infrastructure company got a tap on the shoulder and asked to justify their position. Half got the boot, the other half took lesser rolls.

No it wasn't in the news...but it happened and happens regularly.
6 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 12:10 PM   #22
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradZ View Post
Just curious

like it or not we are now in a global economy, we have to like it or lump the internationally owned company

(Until this year I hadn't worked for an Australian owned company since 1991)

And personally as long as they meet their obligations I'm not fussed one way or the other.

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 12:22 PM   #23
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What load of bollocks, you never hear about it because high end salary earners don't have a Union that bleeps about salary cuts or redundancies of Senior Management.

Less than 2 years ago, every salary earner in the multinational construction / Mining / Infrastructure company got a tap on the shoulder and asked to justify their position. Half got the boot, the other half took lesser rolls.

And you know this how? Are you privvy to the inner sanctions of the corporate world? I would bet there are many more execs who keep their jobs and pay packets than those on the lower rungs who don't.

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #24
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WA priced itself out of the mining gas industry. My WA based tool supplier has seen his business go from $3,000 a week to $30 a week. He supplied shops that had 50 staff down to 2. It's a readjustment that had to happen..
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2016, 12:44 PM   #25
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradZ View Post
Just curious

I work for one and have done for the last 15 years.
Don't have a problem with it as long as they keep paying me.
Old 14-06-2016, 12:47 PM   #26
BradZ
I'm still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
I work for one and have done for the last 15 years.
Don't have a problem with it as long as they keep paying me.
Same here. I work for the biggest almond producer in Australia and 2nd biggest in the world, amongst doing grain, lentils plus a few others aswell as owning Queensland Cotton I think they can keep paying me for a while lol

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 12:48 PM   #27
prydey
Rob

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-1...ay-cut/7503584

from the article
Quote:
Griffin Coal has suffered almost $300 million in trading losses since it was bought by the Lanco Group five years ago.

The company had asked workers to take a 26 per cent pay cut and work an extra seven hours a week — but they had refused.

Commissioner Danny Cloghan said it was in the public interest to help Griffin Coal realise its long-term goal of exporting coal through Bunbury.

"Unproductive, inefficient, inflexible and unprofitable businesses do not remain in existence as some sort of societal right," he said in the statement handed down last week.

and also
Quote:
A spokesman for Griffin Coal told the ABC the company would continue to negotiate for a new agreement.

Until then, award conditions will apply from next month.
so there is a chance workers will be able to negotiate a new agreement by the sounds.

of course writing an article about a 43% pay cut has a much bigger impact. nowhere does it state the current wages, and what the wages are going to be reduced to. the sceptic in me thinks that if these figures were published, it would dilute the article somewhat and reduce the sympathy vote.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 12:53 PM   #28
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:

Yep. 3 years ago spotless was sold and 25% of middle management went.

2 years later they lost a contract because of lazy tradesmen and they all kept their jobs. Union came in and demanded it. Those blokes deserved to be sacked.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #29
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
And you know this how? Are you privvy to the inner sanctions of the corporate world? I would bet there are many more execs who keep their jobs and pay packets than those on the lower rungs who don't.
To be fair, you only ever hear about the exceptions in the media - badly run businesses where the executives award themselves remuneration that doesn't correlate with the company returns. Most businesses off the ASX would reduce pay accordingly for all staff during the bad times because the exec are the owners. I know that's what we do with our business.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #30
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
The company I'm contracting to is undergoing this right now! On seek.com they're advertising for dozen permanent senior management positions, each of the incumbents have been told their jobs are up for grabs, they can reapply for their own positions, best of luck...
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post