Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-06-2016, 08:36 AM   #31
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What does everyone do for a hobby?

Shovel horse manure
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #32
BradZ
I'm still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
ah fair enough, i want a lever action after watching 'hell on wheels'

i always figure if you need a semi auto or auto to hit a target you can't shoot
I've used a lever action 30-30 and a semi auto .22 short. A big bore lever action with open sights makes an awesome scrub gun. The semi-auto 22 was for sh*ts and giggles only.

Yep me too, if its not instant death from a single shot, it doesn't count. If it runs away or writhes around and needs another round, thats sloppy and careless as far as im concerned. Kill it with one shot or let someone else do it.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-5000k Headlight conversion
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub
-Pioneer Class D Digital 800W Amp

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Build Thread http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11344773
BradZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2016, 09:32 AM   #33
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz250 View Post
That's an awesome bike and must be a heap of fun but I'm not really looking for a racing bike, just for a trail-bike that I can cover a lot of kilometers on. That's the only reason I want a 4 stroke as well - to carry less fuel with me.

The TM is an awesome bike. It's very fast and aggressive. It's faster than a KTM 300 but isn't ideal for long distance stuff. I swapped bikes one day with a guy on a new Husky (KTM) 300 and he got off the TM and said "wow that's fast". I got off the husky and thought "wow that feels slow".
I bought that bike new in 2011 for $9,000. It was cheap because it was last years model and the next years bikes were on the way.
It's been great but I've hardly ridden it and if I'm honest it's far too much bike for me.

On the topics of guns I think I'll get a .17 for use around the house lol and a .308 for hunting and that should be a good value solid combo.
Of course a one shot kill is ideal but I was watching vids of blokes shooting zebra with a .375 and they all ran off after perfect shots in the chest. They must be tough beasts. Not sure why you'd want to shoot zebras though.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #34
BradZ
I'm still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
The TM is an awesome bike. It's very fast and aggressive. It's faster than a KTM 300 but isn't ideal for long distance stuff. I swapped bikes one day with a guy on a new Husky (KTM) 300 and he got off the TM and said "wow that's fast". I got off the husky and thought "wow that feels slow".
I bought that bike new in 2011 for $9,000. It was cheap because it was last years model and the next years bikes were on the way.
It's been great but I've hardly ridden it and if I'm honest it's far too much bike for me.

On the topics of guns I think I'll get a .17 for use around the house lol and a .308 for hunting and that should be a good value solid combo.
Of course a one shot kill is ideal but I was watching vids of blokes shooting zebra with a .375 and they all ran off after perfect shots in the chest. They must be tough beasts. Not sure why you'd want to shoot zebras though.
.17hmr shoots fast and accurate but they're a very light bullet meaning a slight breeze will ruin a shot and being 17gr, you need to headshot everything otherwise it probably wont drop. There's no room for error hunting with this caliber and you need a specific set of parameters to even consider taking a shot at anything, distance, size, wind etc

Also be wary of .17hmr ammo as its very common for the ammo to be inconsistent, a lot of cases have splits in them from new, sometimes as much as half the box! I've heard that much about them that I'd probably never own one myself.

.308 is a good caliber though, cheap and easy to get and they pack a decent punch. Only thing being they have a lot of bullet drop as they're slow and heavy rounds, just something to think about.

Hope that helped!
Perhaps tell me what you want to use each gun for and I could offer some advice on a suitable caliber if you'd like.

I imagine they shot the Zebras in the chest so they could mount the head undamaged. A lot go for the chest over in the states for the same reason.

Definitely not my thing, I'm more into pest animals.

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Last edited by BradZ; 13-06-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 13-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #35
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

I want to shoot deer rabbits and foxes. And target shooting on a range.
Old 13-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #36
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I want to shoot deer rabbits and foxes. And target shooting on a range.

To clarify I want to stalk deer. No dogs will be used. So weight would be a concern as I will be carrying it long distances over rugged terrain.
Old 13-06-2016, 05:15 PM   #37
BradZ
I'm still alive

Quote:
To clarify I want to stalk deer. No dogs will be used. So weight would be a concern as I will be carrying it long distances over rugged terrain.
Factory Tikka T3s are pretty light, and they make a Lite model which weighs less again. .308 is a decent caliber for most Deer, even Sambar with a precise shot.
I might clarify your chances of finding a Deer without dogs is very slim. Most use Beagles who find and pinpoint their location so you can begin a mad dash to said location.

For rabbits and foxes, I'd go a .223 or a .22-250 like mine.

.223 are quieter with less muzzle flash
.223 are a slightly more popular round
.22-250 shoots faster,flatter and for longer distances
.22-250 hit harder

Both are extremely accurate calibers.
Hope this helps!

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Old 13-06-2016, 07:56 PM   #38
beardo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Use to do this, but have arthritis in my hips now so i need new hobbies

beardo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #39
Pis-ton broke
Banned

hi, i,m involved in show jumping horses but a on a break for some period now. i also like to manufacture usefull things for market or around my small acreage. for ei, a 8' grader blade , fully adjustable and cat 2 linkages, its not a small one. as i am a boilermaker /welder by trade and have a host of work shop metal working equipment.

sprintman , do you work for a stable? i ride trackwork.

to the op, a fox at 400m, that is impressive. there is a youtube clip of a guy shoots a coyote at 1800yards, i am lucky to shoot a rabit at 70m. i have a marlyn .22wmr (magnum) 7 shot mag, with bushnell scope. i got better after the new scope and i was using those pointed bullets (proper name?) and was get a couple of run offs (rabbits), then i changed to hollow points and no more run offs. i had a browning .22 pump but it got stolen, it was a nice gun.

those adler pump shot guns have upset a few people, there was a story on a news show about how it is legal to extend the lower barrel that holds that ammo, so as it hold many more rounds, now heaps of people know!

beardo, this is what you do for fun? (jk)
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2016, 08:45 PM   #40
BradZ
I'm still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
hi, i,m involved in show jumping horses but a on a break for some period now. i also like to manufacture usefull things for market or around my small acreage. for ei, a 8' grader blade , fully adjustable and cat 2 linkages, its not a small one. as i am a boilermaker /welder by trade and have a host of work shop metal working equipment.

sprintman , do you work for a stable? i ride trackwork.

to the op, a fox at 400m, that is impressive. there is a youtube clip of a guy shoots a coyote at 1800yards, i am lucky to shoot a rabit at 70m. i have a marlyn .22wmr (magnum) 7 shot mag, with bushnell scope. i got better after the new scope and i was using those pointed bullets (proper name?) and was get a couple of run offs (rabbits), then i changed to hollow points and no more run offs. i had a browning .22 pump but it got stolen, it was a nice gun.

those adler pump shot guns have upset a few people, there was a story on a news show about how it is legal to extend the lower barrel that holds that ammo, so as it hold many more rounds, now heaps of people know!

beardo, this is what you do for fun? (jk)
Thanks for the kind words mate, these pointed bullets you speak of are probably ballistic tips.
Hollow points do the same job with the minor drawback of aerodynamics because of the hole in the center of them and also apparantly upon contact with a target, fur/skin/meat can clog up the hollow point preventing it from expanding.

After re-reading your post I have a couple of things to add. I also have a .22wmr, I think we use the same bullets, CCI V-Max 30gr. Much faster and flatter shooting than standard rounds.

I also have my welding ticket in mig, tig, arc and brazing although it's not what I do for work anymore. We have a bit in common it seems.

You'd get along with my mum, she's been into competitive horse sports since I was born, in fact I rode in a few events myself! She did dressage while show jumping was my thing, alas those days are over now.

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Old 13-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #41
BradZ
I'm still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardo View Post
That 2nd photo looks fun! Haha
I used to ride mtb aswell in my school days, nowhere near as serious as you, just stuffing around at skate parks.

Word of advice about hobbies, firearms wont hurt your arthritis, but it will hurt your wallet!

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Old 13-06-2016, 08:59 PM   #42
beardo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradZ View Post
That 2nd photo looks fun! Haha
I used to ride mtb aswell in my school days, nowhere near as serious as you, just stuffing around at skate parks.

Word of advice about hobbies, firearms wont hurt your arthritis, but it will hurt your wallet!

I'm married, may as well not have a wallet
beardo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #43
BradZ
I'm still alive

Quote:
I'm married, may as well not have a wallet
I'm in a relationship and its pretty much the same thing already

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Old 13-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #44
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
We had one hobby shop which was Toyworld so as you can imagine my choices were limited.
From memory it was $500 to buy.

4wd, not belt driven and had a Force .25 motor I THINK.. dont quote me

Straight away i drove it in water accidentally and the servos were never the same again. I fitted a failsafe, thank god I did otherwise I doubt I'd still have it today!

EDIT: You still into them? I've got that Gv buggy and remote in the shed if you want it? Poor thing has been gathering dust for years.

I'll pass on the buggy, ive got more than enough to worry about but thanks

These are some pics of the current cars

So top picture left to right theres Kyosho Mad Force, HPI RS4 MT2, Tamiya TT01 and 3racing F109 (aftermarket kit based on Tamiya F103/F104)

Bottom pic has the GV GV1 on the left and Thunder Tiger TSN on the right.

The Kyosho is stock for now. The HPI has a 0.15 motor instead of the stock .18 as it blew up plus longer shocks. The TT01 has alloy shafts and my old TA02 offroad wheels. The F109 has a new rear wing and diffuser, the original aero is styled after the 2005-2008 cars but this wing is taller wider and stiffer. The diffuser was a generic part found online. The BV1 i believe was originally 2 speed but the first owner converted it to single speed and then i put the belt tensioner on it. The Thunder Tiger is a bit of a bitsa.

Long term i'll probably scrap the Thunder Tiger, get another .18 for the HPI and look for a nice .12 for the BV1. I'll probably look to convert them all to digital transmitters as well.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2016, 10:01 PM   #45
BradZ
I'm still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
I'll pass on the buggy, ive got more than enough to worry about but thanks

These are some pics of the current cars

So top picture left to right theres Kyosho Mad Force, HPI RS4 MT2, Tamiya TT01 and 3racing F109 (aftermarket kit based on Tamiya F103/F104)

Bottom pic has the GV GV1 on the left and Thunder Tiger TSN on the right.

The Kyosho is stock for now. The HPI has a 0.15 motor instead of the stock .18 as it blew up plus longer shocks. The TT01 has alloy shafts and my old TA02 offroad wheels. The F109 has a new rear wing and diffuser, the original aero is styled after the 2005-2008 cars but this wing is taller wider and stiffer. The diffuser was a generic part found online. The BV1 i believe was originally 2 speed but the first owner converted it to single speed and then i put the belt tensioner on it. The Thunder Tiger is a bit of a bitsa.

Long term i'll probably scrap the Thunder Tiger, get another .18 for the HPI and look for a nice .12 for the BV1. I'll probably look to convert them all to digital transmitters as well.
Bet there's some money tied up between them!
Everyone needs a hobby and they're rarely cheap I've learnt haha

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Old 13-06-2016, 10:10 PM   #46
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Theres probably a fair bit, most of the money was spent 5+ years ago so i dont even remember!

Stuff like the TT01 is so easy to spend money on. You can start with a $150 kit, spend the same on a brushless motor/esc combo, then theres endless hop up parts like chassis conversions and alloy suspension bits. And if youre unlucky enough to break anything, do it all again.

The F109 is discontinued now so spare parts are almost impossible to find, so i barely drive it. Being so fast with a 5.5T motor of course doesnt help and it feels half as heavy as the TT01 which has a 9T motor IIRC. The nitro cars are a mixed bag on parts avaliability, the 2 offroaders are OK but the touring cars are hopeless. Engines arent too expensive unless you want something Italian to race with, which can set you back $300+ otherwise you can get one under $100 no problem. I went through a couple when i first got into nitro cars almost 10yrs ago leaning them out on 30-35% fuel instead of the 15-20% they were recommended for.
Old 13-06-2016, 10:36 PM   #47
BradZ
I'm still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
Theres probably a fair bit, most of the money was spent 5+ years ago so i dont even remember!

Stuff like the TT01 is so easy to spend money on. You can start with a $150 kit, spend the same on a brushless motor/esc combo, then theres endless hop up parts like chassis conversions and alloy suspension bits. And if youre unlucky enough to break anything, do it all again.

The F109 is discontinued now so spare parts are almost impossible to find, so i barely drive it. Being so fast with a 5.5T motor of course doesnt help and it feels half as heavy as the TT01 which has a 9T motor IIRC. The nitro cars are a mixed bag on parts avaliability, the 2 offroaders are OK but the touring cars are hopeless. Engines arent too expensive unless you want something Italian to race with, which can set you back $300+ otherwise you can get one under $100 no problem. I went through a couple when i first got into nitro cars almost 10yrs ago leaning them out on 30-35% fuel instead of the 15-20% they were recommended for.
It's all a bit past me now, I don't have time for too many hobbies these days unfortunately

One thing I do remember vividly is the smell of burnt nitro fuel, ahhhhh...

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Old 13-06-2016, 10:39 PM   #48
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have a few hobbies, cars are a large part, also love to go out 4x4 driving, fishing, camping and hunting, which all sort of go hand in hand. I also hand load my own ammunition, have done so for many many years now and hold a current firearms and game hunting license in NSW.

Went out for a shoot yesterday arvo on a mates property down the road, good and safe fun when done properly and provides a good feed for the dogs for not much money.

I also have a dirt bike, we have a horse (I don't ride, but I train my daughter), and dogs that take up a lot of time.

Our horse a 7 year old through-bred and two Siberian Huskies, have posted this photo up before:

We take him to comps and ride days:

Moree Horse sports day:

My 'old' Roger .222, it's custom bedded with a custom trigger and I use my own handholds, within it's effective range of around 250 metres nothing but nothing gets missed if you can see it it will hit it every time, a real budget buster:

Here are some targets not bad for a gun that owes me less than $1000 :

Yes that is three shots:

Remington SPS, with a Leupold Mk4 scope in 308:

Five shots at 100 metres:

Hand-loaded .222 vs .308

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2016, 10:47 PM   #49
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bit of 4x4 action:

Getting to fishing spots:

All lit up:

Build a custom off road trailer to go camping and shooting:

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 14-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #50
BradZ
I'm still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Bit of 4x4 action:

Getting to fishing spots:

All lit up:

Build a custom off road trailer to go camping and shooting:

Finally, someone who speaks my language!

I heavily considered a Rem 700 when I was shopping for my first rifle. Settled on a Tikka T3 instead.
Sub-moa rifle out of the box but the cheapish Redfield 4-12x40mm scope wasn't cutting it in terms of fast target acquisition, eye relief, field of view or zoom.

One Zeiss HD5 5-25x50mm coupled with a DNZ Game Reaper mount later.... I'm taking 450m+ shots with absolute certainty that if I miss, its me and nothing else.

Impressive groups from both of your rifles!
Here's my $300 bunny buster, Stirling 1500 .22wmr. Notice the Redfield found it's way on it lol. I don't see the point spending big $$ on rimfire rifles personally but thats just me.

5 shot group at 100m, first shot was sight in. Using 30gr Cci V-Max, they're a faster, flatter round than the rest, they have an extra 600fps on anything else available.

Not sure if I posted mine here already but here's 3 shots from my 250 at 250m, using my own recipe ( on the left )

Interested to hear what sort of firearms related gear you use, scopes, powder, tips etc. What do you hunt and how?

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Last edited by BradZ; 14-06-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 14-06-2016, 10:53 AM   #51
BradZ
I'm still alive

More or less how it looked straight out of the box excluding the Zeiss and DNZ mount.

As it sits currently it's got:
GRS Sporter/Varmint stock
Dnz game reaper one peice mount
Zeiss Hd5 5-25x50mm with Rapid-Z reticle, it has holdover marks up to 1000yards and corresponding windage also
YoDave trigger spring set to 1.5lb
Alloy dbm
Sunshade
Anti-cant level

The stock was a huge improvement over standard and the lighter trigger spring tightened up my groups beautifully.
Still a few bits and pieces I want to buy for it but seeing as it out-shoots me as is, I'm in no rush

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Old 14-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #52
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spent some time yesterday on the end of a .308. I liked that a lot. It's a lot more comfortable to shoot than the .375 H&H cannon.
Can you recommend a particular T3 for what I want to do with it? There's quite a few to choose from. I think I want a stainless barrel and synthetic stock for durability. Light weight would be handy but not at the expense of reliability. Needs to be good value.
Also what a good but good value scope? I won't be doing any 1000m shots and realistically won't shoot over 400m. Must be durable.
Old 14-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #53
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Spent some time yesterday on the end of a .308. I liked that a lot. It's a lot more comfortable to shoot than the .375 H&H cannon.
I would have thought 375 H&H would be overkill for anything in this country, unless you work at a Zoo or you're shooting at Sambar running amongst small trees.

Have you thought about a 30.06? They drop anything here and have a huge range of bullet weights - it's almost two guns in one. 7mm Rem and 300 win mag and their variants are worth looking into.

I've always wanted a .257 Weatherby Magnum.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2016, 04:22 PM   #54
BradZ
I'm still alive

Quote:
Can you recommend a particular T3 for what I want to do with it? There's quite a few to choose from. I think I want a stainless barrel and synthetic stock for durability. Light weight would be handy but not at the expense of reliability. Needs to be good value.
Also what a good but good value scope? I won't be doing any 1000m shots and realistically won't shoot over 400m. Must be durable.
T3 Lite's are as you'd imagine, lighter than the other models. The barrel is thinner and they have a 3 shot mag rather than 5. One thing I've noticed is the Lite barrel heats up a lot quicker than a heavy one but it's only when firing rounds in quick succesion like target shooting.

I'm fairly sure Tikka have 3 barrel sizes, Lite, Varmint and i believe their hunter range are in the middle somewhere. If you're set on a synthetic stock your choices are limited to a Lite, Lite Stainless, Compact and Varmint.

If I had my time again I'd get a Varmint barrel. Yeah heavy guns suck to carry but are so much steadier to shoot.
Oh and also the T3 line is now obsolete, T3x is what they have now, just a few minor tweaks.

Its worth noting you'll feel more recoil through a light gun but thats nothing a limbsaver wont fix
Also dont be sucked in to thinking stainless barrels wont get rust, they do.

Scope wise it all depends on your budget.
Vortex seem to be very popular or you could get a Leupold vx3 or higher.
I do personally think Leupold are overrated however their warranty is second to none. Next price bracket up would be a Zeiss like mine, Swarovski or Schmidt & Bender. S&B are regarded as the best scope money can buy but jees you need to give them a lot of it!

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Last edited by BradZ; 14-06-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 14-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #55
BradZ
I'm still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
I would have thought 375 H&H would be overkill for anything in this country, unless you work at a Zoo or you're shooting at Sambar running amongst small trees.

Have you thought about a 30.06? They drop anything here and have a huge range of bullet weights - it's almost two guns in one. 7mm Rem and 300 win mag and their variants are worth looking into.

I've always wanted a .257 Weatherby Magnum.
Absolutely, why punish yourself when you can get the job done with half the pain?
I've shot a 9.3x62mm which is a popular sambar caliber and it's quite unpleasant.

7mm rem mag is going to be my next caliber for sure

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub

Performance
-Custom Cold Air Intake

Old 14-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #56
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:

Ouch.....
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2016, 05:56 PM   #57
Trevor 57
is now there

trot around the racetrack in the XE:

Go for Sunday drives in the XP:

Take a holiday or trip somewhere in the Ranger:

Old 14-06-2016, 06:23 PM   #58
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Here's my $300 bunny buster, Stirling 1500 .22wmr. Notice the Redfield found it's way on it lol. I don't see the point spending big $$ on rimfire rifles personally but thats just me.
Had one of them, was my first ever gun, bought it second hand and sold it to buy my .222.

Use the .222 (bought it before .223 became common) on anything from rabbits, hares, goats and pigs.

Bought the 308 only 4 years ago to do some deer hunting and also for pigs (minimum legal round .243 for deer), but have not had much luck with it, I have a game license so can hunt on public land and state forests, but I need more experience for deer who are very elusive to me so far.

Only use basic gear to re load, Lee Dies and presses.

Here is a photo of it set up at my last place, currently the gear is not set up but I still have enough ammo to last me a little while already made up:

.222 bullets:

.222 powder

308 dies:

308 bullets:

308 Powder:

308 vs .222:

Used a bedding block in my Remington 700, as I wanted to retain the original stock, got the block from the US of A and had it fitted by a local gum smith:

I will take some updated photos in the next few days or over the week end as I have also added a muzzle brake to the 700 and some nice scope covers.

I have also added a .177 Benjamin 1200fps hunting air rifle to my collection, which is good fun and surprisingly accurate for a 'cheap' air rifle, will hit anything out to 50 metres, with a cheap 4x32 scope.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 14-06-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 14-06-2016, 06:41 PM   #59
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How do you guys manage whatever animals you've shot when hunting? I'd imagine rabbits wouldn't be an issue to leave for scavengers but what about deer etc?
Old 14-06-2016, 06:49 PM   #60
BradZ
I'm still alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Had one of them, was my first ever gun, bought it second hand and sold it to buy my .222.

Use the .222 (bought it before .223 became common) on anything from rabbits, hares, goats and pigs.

Bought the 308 only 4 years ago to do some deer hunting and also for pigs (minimum legal round .243 for deer), but have not had much luck with it, I have a game license so can hunt on public land and state forests, but I need more experience for deer who are very elusive to me so far.

Only use basic gear to re load, Lee Dies and presses.

Here is a photo of it set up at my last place, currently the gear is not set up but I still have enough ammo to last me a little while already made up:

.222 bullets:

.222 powder

308 dies:

308 bullets:

308 Powder:

308 vs .222:

Used a bedding block in my Remington 700, as I wanted to retain the original stock, got the block from the US of A and had it fitted by a local gum smith:

I will take some updated photos in the next few days or over the week end as I have also added a muzzle brake to the 700 and some nice scope covers.

I have also added a .177 Benjamin 1200fps hunting air rifle to my collection, which is good fun and surprisingly accurate for a 'cheap' air rifle, will hit anything out to 50 metres, with a cheap 4x32 scope.
Nice collection you have there mate, once again we have things in common.

I use 55gr Nosler ballistic silvertips with Adi 2208 powder, currently in the process of seating my bullets out further and I'm planning on switching to Benchmark2.

I use a Lee single-stage press and old school balance beams to get my 36gr of powder. Time consuming but the results of the final product are worth it.

How's the scope hold up on the air rifle? They're notorious for killing them I've heard

Visual
-Lowered on SSSL's
-DJR Bobtail
-Darkest legal tint
-Tinted taillights

Audio
-Ford Premium Sound
-Pioneer 1000W 12'' Sub

Performance