Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #61
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Default Re: Malaysian Airways Flight 370

Vietnam has now suspended search operations
Old 12-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #62
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

On ABC TV an aviation expert noted that this plane was in a ground level accident (where I do not remember) - but it clipped / was clipped by another plane causing severe damage to rear rudder. As a watcher of air crash investigations I (armchair non-expert) note than when a portion of a plane is damaged that a much greater area needs to be replaced. My guess – say 10m2 damaged – at least 80m2 is to be ‘actioned’.
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #63
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

On ABC TV an aviation expert noted that this plane was in a ground level accident (where I do not remember) - but it clipped / was clipped by another plane causing severe damage to rear rudder. As a watcher of air crash investigations I (armchair non-expert) note than when a portion of a plane is damaged that a much greater area needs to be replaced. My guess – say 10m2 damaged – at least 80m2 is to be ‘actioned’.

Last edited by vbvbvb088; 12-03-2014 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Double Post...
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 05:18 PM   #64
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very very weird situation.

For me 3 possibiliites

1- hijacking
2 - total electrical power failure. Being a boeing it can still be flown, but no transponders, comms etc. He diverted to find somewhere he knew to land (noting it was the middle of the night) and lost control

3. Pilots blacked out due to lack of oxygen

Last edited by DJR David; 12-03-2014 at 05:24 PM.
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #65
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

The more I think about it what Road Warrior said, may have happened.

The FAA issued an AD I believe 6 days ago, referring to detailed and HFEC inspection for cracking of the fuselage skin underneath the SATCOM antenna adapter (8 page document).

http://www.ofr.gov/(S(mmxywch0olhoji...4-04547_PI.pdf

The AD refers to Boeing Alert Service Bulletin 777-53A0068, dated June 12, 2013, with inspection methods and compliance specified in that SB. There is no effective date of the AD as yet.

I can see groundings of some of the B777 fleet happening....
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 06:02 PM   #66
bungarra

Air France wreckage from their mid air explosion took a week for anythign substantial to identify the aircraft floated to the surface. It was seen exploding mid air and position recorded by two ships at sea and at least one other aircraft.

On take off with full fuel capacity, she would have had in excess of 150,000lt of fuel on board. Given the wings contain the fuel tanks and the previous damage to the wing,it is possible the wing tore open and fuel erupted and engulfed the plane. The radar return showing the plane potentially turning aorund, could have been the debris trail.

This aircraft disappeared at around 11Km's in the air. Any wreckage would be traveling at speed into the ocean. Wreckage could be embedded in the ocean floor.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #67
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbvbvb088 View Post
Shanghai's PuDong Airport in 2012 (per SMH on Sunday)
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #68
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungarra View Post
On take off with full fuel capacity, she would have had in excess of 150,000lt of fuel on board. Given the wings contain the fuel tanks and the previous damage to the wing,it is possible the wing tore open and fuel erupted and engulfed the plane. The radar return showing the plane potentially turning aorund, could have been the debris trail.
Wings don't just tear open when there is structural damage, cracking occurs first, generally at fastener locations, and if in a fuel tank area, will be evidenced by fuel leakage visible from the ground and during preflight walkaround checks. Only if the structure is overloaded which is extremely unlikely, can there be a catastrophic failure.

The aircraft became lost during the first part of the flight, probably when the maximum cabin pressure differential was applied to the fuselage, which is normally when decompression failures occur.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 06:25 PM   #69
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I think people need to pay a little more heed to Karlene Pettit.
I have heard from a reliable source that Malaysian Airlines received ACARS data after reporting lost communication, and they have issued a statement saying that they are not prepared to release it.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #70
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbvbvb088 View Post
No, that was 9 months ago and the aircraft was repaired by Boeing.
Also, a fuel leak from the wing tip - the damaged section would not automatically ignite as there is no ignition source there.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #71
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Plus, it was the wing tip that was damaged, not the rudder.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #72
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #73
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is worth checking out - a satellite imaging firm has launched on online crowd-sourced effort in which users can look through high-res images, and tag anything anything of interest they see.

http://www.tomnod.com/nod/challenge/malaysiaairsar2014

Old 12-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #74
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
I think people need to pay a little more heed to Karlene Pettit.
I have heard from a reliable source that Malaysian Airlines received ACARS data after reporting lost communication, and they have issued a statement saying that they are not prepared to release it.
Interesting, Petronas Towers first thing that comes to my mind. As a long shot Guam or Singapore Marina Bay.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #75
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

I've heard there is spot exactly on the op side of the earth of the Bermuda triangle that has the same kind of error stuff happens.
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #76
nstg8a

I'm curious as to whether the reports of 20 of the passengers being involved in electronic warfare technology has any truth.
I wonder which country in the area would love to gain a technological upper hand over the west these days....
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #77
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another sighting. Kiwi working on an oil rig near Vietnam.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26527390
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #78
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
I'm curious as to whether the reports of 20 of the passengers being involved in electronic warfare technology has any truth.
I wonder which country in the area would love to gain a technological upper hand over the west these days....
The company is called Freescale and is based in texas.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #79
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Quote:
I read that too and was after another update on that. 20 of those Electronic genius's on one plane...Does add more weight to a possible hijack.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:34 PM   #80
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My first thought was North Korea too...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #81
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So many questions here, I wonder if this aircraft landed on the ocean softly like FLT 1549 landed on the hudson, then sunk in 1 piece leaving no debris.If passengers are alive then some should be out there on life rafts, but searches found nothing.Tragic.
I dont trust the malaysian govt, their reporting seems all over the shop, and are doing nothing to portray an image of control.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 12-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #82
Rangas GTP

I hadn't herd of cloaking before so I googled it and came across this.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/5554...racy-theories/

It appears to be the No 1 conspiracy theory. Now to find No 2
Rangas GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #83
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangas GTP View Post

Apparently, they have also developed a way of firing while cloaked...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #84
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

What about this.

Imagine if post 9/11 an unwritten agreement is made with various national defence forces to bring down civilian aircraft suspected of being hijacked.

Is it possible that the initial reports from the Malaysian air force were accurate in that they tracked the rogue plane, however they then shot it down over open water to prevent another 9/11 type attack.

This could be why the reports by the air force have been denied in order to distance themselves from the end result.

This would be plausible to avoid another 9/11.

Thoughts.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2014, 10:51 PM   #85
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
But this is the thing - the only way it will turn up on civil aviation radars are if the transponder is active.

However military radars are 'active' and will pick it up regardless of whether it has a transponder or not, and the families gathered in KL are cracking the ***** because authorities arent detailing what (if any) information gathered from military radars that could potentially solve this awful riddle.
I can only think explosion.

Only way I can work out that crew did not activate emergency IFF (7500/7600/7700) and/or transmit on 121.5 and/or 243.0 with a Pan or Mayday is if it went up instantaneously in a big way. To lose both IFF and radio sounds almost beyond belief unless there was an unprecedented massive electrical failure across all systems.

There would have been Navy ships somewhere in the vicinity from various countries you would expect, with radars likely turning and burning. Even when I was a shiborne aircraft controller 20 years ago we could pick up civilian aircraft on actual radar paint 500km away when they were at cruise altitude, let alone IFF paints.
4 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2014, 01:20 AM   #86
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangas GTP View Post

You can bet your last $ that we aren't being told anywhere near the truth.

Nice find
Old 13-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #87
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Large wreckage found....

Quote:
Satellite image 'shows missing flight wreckage'
ninemsn staff
8:09am March 13, 2014

Chinese officials believe they may have found the wreckage of missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 in a satellite image that is currently being broadcast around the world.

CNN says the image shows a suspected crash site in the South China Sea, close to the plane's projected flight path.

The image, reportedly captured about 11am on Sunday, shows three large pieces at sea, the largest of which measured 24m by 27m, according to the Chinese State Administration for Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense, the Guardian reports.

A Chinese government agency told CNN its satellite looking for the missing plane "observed a suspected crash area at sea".

The agency has released images of what it says are "three suspected floating objects and their sizes".

More to come...
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/201...s-flight-mh370

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #88
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well its kind of the 'area' where the guy on the oil rig claims to have seen a plane briefly on fire and gradually descending. But as for the earlier reports, hmmmmmmm.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #89
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

I hope it is it just so the families involved can get some solid news, even if it isn't good.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #90
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

how on earth were phones ringing out under the friggin sea then???

i wouldnt believe a word they say tbh

yeah
fuselage cracked...lol