Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #31
ZGM86

Default Re: $115,000 for a Falcon? FPV owners try to cash in...

I always hate reading the comments on those articles, but I can't help myself.

PS: Anybody who thinks these ugly taxies with "here comes a yobbo" paint schemes are going to become classics is dreaming. Just look at the second hand market on last gen Monaros .. people were paying 50% over the top for last models.. now pretty much halving in value.
For $115,000k you can get a proper classic, or if you want a modern one last gen BMW m3 with V8s are around 100K and those have global following.
"Dj77 November 27, 2013, 8:46AM

This guy accuses the Falcon GT of being a taxi with a loud paint scheme, and in the same breath praises a performance BMW (nice car, don't get me wrong)? What does he think they use as taxis in Germany? Such an ignorant comment to make.
1978 TE Cortina GL wagon
1955 FJ Holden Special

Car History: 1974 ZG Fairlane 500, 1973 ZG Fairlane 500, 07 SY Territory TX, 1975 Ford F100, 2001 AU2 Falcon XR8 220, 2005 BA RTV, 1997 EL Falcon XR6, 1981 WB Holden pano, 1990 DA LTD, 1992 EB Falcon GLi wagon, 1984 XF Falcon GL wagon, 1976 TD Cortina XL wagon, 1974 TC Cortina XL sedan
ZGM86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #32
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
The thanks was for smashing my eyeballs............
I need a guide dog now.

Ed
Old 27-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #33
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Sorry to the steel bumper brigade, but the racing heritage thing is just rubbish. Yes it adds a little bit, but the old muscle cars went up in value because they were muscle cars, and the fastest, most exclusive one became the most expensive.

So one day, the current GTS and R Spec GT will be worth a bundle - because they will be the fastest aussie muscle cars ever built. It will just take 30 years. Buy a low kay one of both in 2030 if you are a smart investor.
I agree with you about the value increasing ......eventually. How high will the price go, only time will tell
With regards to racing heritage I also agree that the vast majority of " steel bumper cars" have very little to do with racing but the " steel bumper" ones that were specifically built for racing " phase 3 " & "option 97" for example and built in limited numbers just so the car is eligible to race, will always have it over the " resin bumper brigade" no matter how fast they go or special paint jobs they give them.
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #34
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

This really is one of the problems Ford faces with credibility. Some members of their dealer network are trying to money grab the "potential" popularity for the last V8 models.

Yet Merc dealers have a waiting list for the A45/CLA45 stretching out to May (5-6 months) yet still sell for the RRP (sorry to keep harping on my love affair with the A45). Ford isn't Mercedes so it is a little unfair to compare the dealers on some ways, but you can see how the whole experience can put you off the brand when it's a blatant money grab and IMO damaging.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #35
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

The smart thing would be to invest in spare parts for FPVs from BA to date. Any spare cash, buy up and stow away safely. No huge outlay and you will make a fortune down the line and well before the time the cars are worth anything much. I have always joked that I have kept my GTP to eventually sell as parts as it is worth more selling it in bits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #36
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
Some of the comments written under the article were pretty cruel, those comparing a second hand AMG E63 are quite a bit off. Try servicing or replacing a part on the AMG and get back to me with a price.
One day these cars will be worth something, but not for another 15 years at least when everyone is driving Chery, Great Wall and Daewoo. Then, the only large affordable car available will be the Stavic.

I'd actually like to buy a Stavic.... but before you completely write me off as a lunatic - hear me out...

We've got a Territory - love it. One of the few downsides to the Terry is the fuel consumption (but hey - she weighs 2500kg before anyone sits in it, so you're gonna get that)... The other is that my kids will outgrow it (as I have 4 of them) because the back seat is really not suited for bigger kids or adults, and the middle row of seats aren't really designed to go back and forth all the time...

So - back to the UGLY Stavic... Sure they are ugly... even Ssanyong themselves must have been giggling in the design studio when they drew that one up..... But - inside it is actually very good, very flexible, very big, and nowhere near as ugly as the outside. The other plus is the Mercedes running gear - the auto and the diesel motor are brilliant...

Because they are so goddamn ugly - they're worth NOTHING... So you can pick up a decent condition van with less than 100,000km for WAY less than $10k (probably closer to $7k).

You can park it anywhere, nobody is going to steal it, nobody thinks you are pretentious, and it takes the attention away from other things that might be in the garage.... ;)

Win Win I say... When it's time to move on from the Territory (which won't be too far away) then a 2nd hand Stavic is high on my list of things to check out thats for sure...
Old 28-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #37
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Re: The original post...

You need to actually consider WHY it is that the value of these cars goes up... The key factors are: Desirability & Availability.

If there are LOTS of a particular car around, then they won't be valuable... Look at the earlier post about XA/XB/XC Hardtops... There used to be PLENTY of those around, and they weren't all that collectible... But then - time (and rust) started eating into the cars, and plenty were lost from not being cared for... There are plenty of Facebook pages dedicated to rusty relics for you to see pictures...

The only Hardtops that were (moderately) wanted were the GT ones, which were always slightly more pricey than the sedans (due to being the body shape that was raced - therefore increased desirability) and around 40 years from when they were manufactured, people are paying LOTS more for hardtops than they ever used to... You only have to pick up a 10-year old copy of Just Cars / Unique Cars to see that even recently they weren't all that wanted...

Their availability was shrinking - and in turn (thanks to the Muscle Car Boom) the desirability increased... And now they're worth decent coin... If you think they will ever crash in value - then you work out how their availability will increase - and tell me when people won't want them anymore...

NOW - back to the late model FPV range. Sure - the R-Spec GT has limited numbers which means that availability may be scarce... but they are NOT that different to a regular FPV GT - which does hurt its desirability...
(I'm fully aware of the mechanical differences and yes they are different - what I am saying is, if you couldn't get yourself an R-Spec and you really wanted an FPV GT you could settle for a more basic GT / GTP and still get SIMILAR performance and experience).

So - given there are PLENTY of BA / BF / FG FPV out there, and given that we make cars better these days than we did 30-40 years ago, there is a fair chance that those cars will survive better than some of the cars from the 70s... More plastic = less rust!!

Case and point - 90s model HSV... Go and check them out... There were a few limited build models throughout the range, and some very high-spec cars too... They were also more similar to the track-raced cars (when they used to race sort-of production cars) which in the past has helped raise desirability... There are plenty of them around for sale though - because of the mass production of HSV in the 90s (unlike HDT where most models were truly limited edition)... and really the only HSVs from the range that has proven to hold their collectible value is the Walky (the first one), the Group A VN SS (because of the twin throttlebody V8), and perhaps if i'm generous - the VR GTS-R (yellow taxi). Other than that - you can buy decent ones for well under $10k...

Will they ever grow in value?? Well they can't fall much further than where they are now - right?? So maybe they will... But there will always be other cars that are wanted ahead of 90s HSV... The same can be said for the FPV range...

Don't forget that for every year that passes - another old clunker leaves the road... So if the availability of FPV is reducing, then so is the availability of those that were made before it...

I think it will be a LONG long time before new-muscle cars (post year 2000) will be climbing in value... There will always be cars that go against the trend, but this doesn't happen for the majority of cars out there...

Anyways, thats my opinion... you might think I'm way off... only time will tell...
Old 28-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #38
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Sorry to the steel bumper brigade, but the racing heritage thing is just rubbish. Yes it adds a little bit, but the old muscle cars went up in value because they were muscle cars, and the fastest, most exclusive one became the most expensive.

So one day, the current GTS and R Spec GT will be worth a bundle - because they will be the fastest aussie muscle cars ever built. It will just take 30 years. Buy a low kay one of both in 2030 if you are a smart investor.
Yep - agree with most of that.
The big $$$$ paid for the older GT's only 5-10 years ago were paid by the generation that either grew up with them as kids or by the older faithful that had them in their youth - sold em and were now buying them up again.

This current crop of FPV's is bundled in with so many more performance cars from around the world that they dont stand out nearly as much , not as desirable to the current generation and are also not entrenched in the homologated racing culture that the older rusties were.

So whilst the FPV's will definitely become collectibles for the few in years to come - I dont think they will command big $$$. They will stabilise in price and be nice cars to drive on the weekend and cruise around in and be nostalgic.

I've said this before - but I reckon the big $$$ will go the GT40th and the last of the FG R Specs. It needs to have a GT badge as well.. lol

So anything out of FORD next year without a GT badge will be just another run of the mill limited edition S Pack / 50th anniversary / blah blah blah.

The collectibility factor will also likely be what its always been. Good condition / popular colour stripe combo / low kays / all original unmolested unmodified examples and good factory options with papers. These will stand out over the plethora of used FPV's out there in 10 years time.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #39
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

With FPV being discontinued, if any of the last falcons wears a GT badge and a Ford badge, like the XYs etc. (not 'FPV') I'd say that could reduce the value of the FPVs - because they won't be the last of the 'true' Ford GTs.

I could see them just having the XR8 but having a limited/top of the line variant called the GT just as a final cash grab. Nobody said that there wouldn't be a GT without FPV - there never used to be FPV when the 'real' GTs were first getting around.

There's GT mustangs, so why not have a GT falcon again.

GT is just such an iconic badge - to Ford, forget FPV - that I could see them wanting to milk the last few bucks out of it.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #40
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT View Post
The smart thing would be to invest in spare parts for FPVs from BA to date. Any spare cash, buy up and stow away safely. No huge outlay and you will make a fortune down the line and well before the time the cars are worth anything much. I have always joked that I have kept my GTP to eventually sell as parts as it is worth more selling it in bits.
Too true ! I did that with my old XE ESP
Made a small fortune selling my stash of those orange bumper strip inserts and the unique orange side body mouldings. In fact - those bits were worth almost double what a standard complete running XE Fairmont Ghia could be had. Not to mention the spare sheets of the original SIERRA TAN cloth sheets I had.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #41
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
With FPV being discontinued, if any of the last falcons wears a GT badge and a Ford badge, like the XYs etc. (not 'FPV') I'd say that could reduce the value of the FPVs - because they won't be the last of the 'true' Ford GTs.

I could see them just having the XR8 but having a limited/top of the line variant called the GT just as a final cash grab. Nobody said that there wouldn't be a GT without FPV - there never used to be FPV when the 'real' GTs were first getting around.

There's GT mustangs, so why not have a GT falcon again.

GT is just such an iconic badge - to Ford, forget FPV - that I could see them wanting to milk the last few bucks out of it.
BA and BF were badged as FORDS. They are the last "ford" badged GT product.
Makes no difference if Ford or FPV. The supercharged FG GT goes like stink. It is badged as FPV. Doesnt take anything away from the fact it is the best performing ford ever made in this country and may probably be the best performing ford product we are likely to see in a very long time.

FPV and Tickford are the reason we have these cars.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #42
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I think f6 will also have modern legend status. Faster than all but latest GT but still as fast as latest gt
3 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #43
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
FPV and Tickford are the reason we have these cars.
No, I disagree. XR, XT, XW, XY GT etc. are the main reason people now want a falcon with a GT badge on it.

I believe the GT badge holds much more value than the FPV or tickford badge.

Last edited by Alan D Segal; 28-11-2013 at 04:29 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #44
honer
Back to N/A land

What a joke

Reminds me of the guy on here a while back trying to sell a T3 TL50 for 100k.
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #45
D Block

$115k FG is a clumsy beat up obviously. Buyers would be stupid to pop for that.
Only collectable FPVs in my opinion are un modified early BA's (cos they're cheap) & GT 40th R spec (great colours).
D Block is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #46
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I think a few of us are gonna be looking back at this thread in 30 odd years, and be either laughing all the way to the bank or crying.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #47
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
No, I disagree. XR, XT, XW, XY GT etc. are the main reason people now want a falcon with a GT badge on it.

I believe the GT badge holds much more value than the FPV or tickford badge.
Oh alright then........
Basically yes - we all want GT's because we saw XYGTHO's peddling around Bathurst - but its TickFord and Prodrive/FPV that had the balls to bring back the performance models - not FORD is what I'm getting at. So having an FPV badge on a GT is akin to having the Shelby badge on the Mustang. It is the enhanced product of the skunkworks division.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #48
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im sorry I disagree it's nothing like what the skunkworks was set up for
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #49
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

As a speculative asset, now that FPV/Tickford is gone, these cars could very well appreciate in time. They have to depreciate first however to kull the herd, if you will.

They've simply made too many FPV GT Falcons over the years for them to be worth a large amount of cash.

What I'm looking to do is start a collection of all the post-classic and modern domestically produced Fords. The ED Sprints, the 185KW EL XR8s, the E-series GTs, the 250KW Pursuit AU Ute, even some of the earlier XR6s in manual could be worth something in the future.

Comparing them to their Holden counterparts, they are undervalued.
Old 28-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #50
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

stuff the cars, parts availability will go through the roof first as they are only produced for 7-10 years after a particular model hence in my little locker storage collection sit a few bumpers, spoilers and bonnets and will soon be adding exterior lights.
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #51
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about FPV Force 8's and Force 6's? Bit different from the rest and only a few made.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #52
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

I'm pretty sure that's the one that's been up since May at that price. I laughed then and I laugh now.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #53
Dodge
i like to be stroked

they only made 949 GT coupes, how many GTs were built in 2012? 2013?
Old 28-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #54
superyob
Banned

Quote:

Not so... Even the old six bangers in good condition are worth what a new Falcon sells for. Why? Because they come from a time that will never ever be repeated in the automotive world. That of wild old school styling and balls to the wall machismo. Something that is sadly lacking in modern offerings. There is absolutely no way that a standard 6 pot EB or current plastic offerings will ever appreciate as much as the old chrome bumpered cars... (unfortunately, I have been known to be wrong before, but I can't see it happening...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #55
strik9
aka fpv747

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
I think f6 will also have modern legend status. Faster than all but latest GT but still as fast as latest gt
yeah but it will be hard to find an original, without the front grill chopped out for a big intercooler.
strik9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #56
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
If I had 115 kay Id buy 2... a New GT and a new F6... LOL

If I parked them both in the shed I am sure they would be worth more then 1 Rspec in the long run!

Especially if they had matching build numbers and colour... If I win the lotto this weekend im going to buy 1 of Each in the same colour to park up... all in black!
I'd buy a 2nd hand Cayman S.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #57
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

I'd buy a new base model territory, spend $1,000 at the RSL on a roast pork dinner, a few jugs of Tooheys New and pokies. Then I'd put the rest in the bank for similar nights out every week or so for a couple years.
Old 29-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #58
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ_Smooth View Post
This really is one of the problems Ford faces with credibility. Some members of their dealer network are trying to money grab the "potential" popularity for the last V8 models.

Yet Merc dealers have a waiting list for the A45/CLA45 stretching out to May (5-6 months) yet still sell for the RRP (sorry to keep harping on my love affair with the A45). Ford isn't Mercedes so it is a little unfair to compare the dealers on some ways, but you can see how the whole experience can put you off the brand when it's a blatant money grab and IMO damaging.
There is actually quite a few private sellers trying to cash in on the A45's prices up to 120K on carsales at the moment - don't like their chances.

As for the FPV's, who ever has a decent example in their possession 20 -30yrs from now will be in a good position but I don't think anyone is prepared to pay a premium this early on.........no harm in asking though.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #59
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

personally i feel that a F6 will end up more collectable then a current GT or this R-Spec. Just like the muscle cars of old, the people that are paying big $$$ grew up idolising them. for a current young ford fan... the GT of late never really set the world on fire.. in this Modern era, the game changer for ford fans and Aussie performance cars was the XR6 turbo / F6.. if a limited edition F6 comes out (even if a sticker pack) i feel it will be the car the 50yrs olds in 2043 will want.

well that is my opinion any ways.

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
chopstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2013, 02:33 AM   #60
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
How about FPV Force 8's and Force 6's? Bit different from the rest and only a few made.
Low production numbers might help you out but there is little to no recognition of the name and they were just less loud GTs and F6's of the day.

Personally I think for a low production model to be worth money it has to have significant modification to the drivetrain.