Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-05-2020, 09:48 AM   #31
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Towing a Caravan - Mechanical strain etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
Yeah, I’ve sailed a Kombi in the past 😅
Sounds like you’ve never towed a large trailer, or you would know what I’m talking about.
noun
a piece of material extended on a mast to catch the wind and propel a boat or ship or other vessel.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2020, 10:05 AM   #32
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Towing abililty is not the problem.i,m sure my wifes I30 would have no trouble at all towing a 2.5 tonne trailer along the road.The problem is in controlling the weight and wind effects if things go wrong. Caravans create a big wind drag and more so are very dangerous big box wnen caught up in strong sidewinds.There is a huge difference between a flat top trailer with 3 tonnes of bricks or roofng iron,and a big 7 mtr long x3mtr high hollow box.I really think wind resistance should be a consideration when setting tow ratings.Maybe I am a bit old school,but I would NOT tow a 3 tonne caravan with a smaller 2 tonne vehicle.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2020, 11:05 AM   #33
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Sounds like you’ve never towed a large trailer, or you would know what I’m talking about.
noun
a piece of material extended on a mast to catch the wind and propel a boat or ship or other vessel.
Is that you Donald Trump?
Spouting off with ZERO knowledge!
ps Sounds to me like you've never sailed a Kombi!
Google a pick of the Gladesville bridge in Sydney, then picture yourself crossing it in high winds...Kombi, caravan...take your pick.
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2020, 01:48 PM   #34
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
Is that you Donald Trump?
Spouting off with ZERO knowledge!
ps Sounds to me like you've never sailed a Kombi!
Google a pick of the Gladesville bridge in Sydney, then picture yourself crossing it in high winds...Kombi, caravan...take your pick.
I stand by my comment. It’s one thing to be driving the “sail,” it’s another to be pulling the sail on a trailer behind a vehicle that can’t control the sway. Yes, I’m impressed you have driven a hippie van across a bridge.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:02 PM   #35
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

What this thread needs is another useless troll like me spruiking ****.

To each his own.

I once saw a bloke with a FWD Toyota Kluger towing a double axle caravan at Shellharbour caravan park.

I looked up the specs and his limit was 2,000kgs and the 'van would have been at least 2,500kgs.

Was it my place to point this out to him?

Luckily I had my dog with me and his parents came to visit and mum who liked dogs came over for a chat and obviously to check out my body.

We got to discussing the 'van and she said they can't pull it up the driveway.

Later I got to talking to the son and he had purchased the 'van from an old guy (about my age) and didn't know much about caravanning - so we sat down and discussed some of the issues.

I hope he got back to Sydney OK.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #36
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Pulling a big sail with a lightweight, short wheelbase hatchback, with a narrow wheel track and minimal payload rating... yeah, you should be fine! Can’t think of anything that could go wrong! ;)
I'm happy to not go ahead due to all the great advice (especially regarding safety, more so than whether it could pull it) in this thread, but the R36 is hardly a lightweight hatchback with minimal load rating.

MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2020, 03:47 PM   #37
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I stand by my comment. It’s one thing to be driving the “sail,” it’s another to be pulling the sail on a trailer behind a vehicle that can’t control the sway. Yes, I’m impressed you have driven a hippie van across a bridge.

Note the aerodynamic beak, especially designed to catch the wind, and increase the degree of difficulty.
I would have to look for a pic of the ancient 27" van we used on another site.
I always thought that you loaded the trailer and tow vehicle to avoid sway, NOT use a behemoth vehicle as a blunt instrument to overcome the problems that follow poor planning!
I'm shocked you would refer to the mighty Kombi as a hippy mobile. Such a gross generalisation that is typical of all Americans ;-)
Moondust silver
Frozen white

Previous
1995 Camry 2.2, white
Old 06-05-2020, 03:48 PM   #38
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
I'm happy to not go ahead due to all the great advice (especially regarding safety, more so than whether it could pull it) in this thread, but the R36 is hardly a lightweight hatchback with minimal load rating.

Hey Merc, CP has one of those in his truck in the place of a spare tyre!!
Moondust silver
Frozen white

Previous
1995 Camry 2.2, white
This user likes this post:
Old 06-05-2020, 04:38 PM   #39
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I was thinking it was the Golf, not the Passat. I guess the Golf was the R32.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:10 PM   #40
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
I was thinking it was the Golf, not the Passat. I guess the Golf was the R32.
Yeah no worries.

The R36 is quicker than the R32 and much more useful for me being a wagon. (for my Greyhounds!)
Old 06-05-2020, 05:47 PM   #41
Chapter Four

MercuryT, The R36 will be fine towing a 1400kg van.
I've got a 2t boat on a double axle trailer that i've towed with the follwing;
VY Commodore
VE Commodore
Hyundai Terracan - look it up
BA Fairmont
BF Falcon wagon.
all towed the boat fine, the Fairmont was the worst due to the soft springs.
The Terracan was the best, only due to the turbo diesel pulling power though, followed closely by the VE
Driving and stability were fine with all the others.
Proviso is that you check load weights, ball weight etc and drive as per the manufacutrers recommendation ie Ford recommend for that my 2T, towing at max 80kmh and in sport mode only.
We've been from the Gippsland lakes to Fraser Island with this set up with no issues.
You don't need a small truck/SUV to tow a 1400kg van.
Chapter Four is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2020, 06:55 PM   #42
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Four View Post
MercuryT, The R36 will be fine towing a 1400kg van.
I've got a 2t boat on a double axle trailer that i've towed with the follwing;
VY Commodore
VE Commodore
Hyundai Terracan - look it up
BA Fairmont
BF Falcon wagon.
all towed the boat fine, the Fairmont was the worst due to the soft springs.
The Terracan was the best, only due to the turbo diesel pulling power though, followed closely by the VE
Driving and stability were fine with all the others.
Proviso is that you check load weights, ball weight etc and drive as per the manufacutrers recommendation ie Ford recommend for that my 2T, towing at max 80kmh and in sport mode only.
We've been from the Gippsland lakes to Fraser Island with this set up with no issues.
You don't need a small truck/SUV to tow a 1400kg van.
Thanks so much for this advice.

It is a private sale but I did speak to a Caravan Dealer and they said pretty much exactly the same as you - that a dedicated towing rig wasn't necessary for a light van.

I've checked all the load ratings etc and yep it's legal and I wouldn't do more than 80 anyway for extra safety etc.

That's why I was a bit surprised (but still very thankful) by the comments saying don't/can't do it etc.

As previous it's towed a boat for years prior to my ownership and Caravan owner uses a Commodore - hence I thought mine could too without too much risk if sensible.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:00 PM   #43
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah Mercury go for it.I don’t understand the “experts” saying that a vehicle of that size,with its braking etc capabilities isn’t safe and capable of towing a small caravan
Old 06-05-2020, 07:22 PM   #44
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Yeah Mercury go for it.I don’t understand the “experts” saying that a vehicle of that size,with its braking etc capabilities isn’t safe and capable of towing a small caravan
Mate maybe you are being sarcastic and that's ok, I am by no means an expert and I appreciate all the advice in this thread whether yes or no.

I'm sure all well intentioned and I've never suggested or disagreed just what I've been told prior. I'm happy to say I didn't know hence I asked here.

Only thing I'll raise as your previous post said you wouldn't tow 3T with a 2T vehicle. I note your wind comment and fair enough.

I'm not sure why you said that as the van doesn't way anything near that (As poster said prior and van place said about 1400KG) even if I took a doona, some electrics, clothes etc for the trip it's probably barely over half that?

Last edited by MercuryT; 06-05-2020 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:33 PM   #45
MercuryT
Banned

Another point I should make is a poster said waste of time if just an hour trip. Fair enough but my circumstances are a bit different.

I'm Hobart and there are heaps of cool caravan spots at beaches etc within an hour away and having pretty big dogs getting accommodation for weekends away is both expensive and rarely pet friendly (my dogs come with me on weekends/holidays not kennels)

Hence my Caravan idea as a different way to relax and enjoy the outdoors, plus I'm really happy with the R36 as my daily, so just thought I'd clarify if people didn't understand why I was/am considering getting one that's all.

Last edited by MercuryT; 06-05-2020 at 07:43 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2020, 07:41 PM   #46
hayseed

Quote:
^^^^ I'm with Tassie F truck ^^^^^

Go Buy It & have some fun...
Be different if you were going to set off to do the "Big Lap" But for what you describe It should be OK... (IMHO)
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2020, 07:58 PM   #47
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I,m not sarcastic at all Mercury,I was tryng to point out that you don,t need a 4WD to tow a caravan.I will probably get flamed,but my statement about towing big vans with smaller lighter vehicles is valid.People will say they have towed big vans and never got a big crosswind where the caravan started swaying dangerously.I say, you mean it hasn’t happened yet! By the way I know you were referring to a smallish van.The comment on big van towing was a generalisation
4 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2020, 08:49 PM   #48
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
I,m not sarcastic at all Mercury,I was tryng to point out that you don,t need a 4WD to tow a caravan.I will probably get flamed,but my statement about towing big vans with smaller lighter vehicles is valid.People will say they have towed big vans and never got a big crosswind where the caravan started swaying dangerously.I say, you mean it hasn’t happened yet! By the way I know you were referring to a smallish van.The comment on big van towing was a generalisation
No worries at all mate and thank you.

I'm sure your concerns are valid as you obviously have experience - I don't at all advice welcome.

I guess it excites me, as a single guy looking for new ways to move forward after a really tough couple of years (custody, health issues etc etc), if I could to get away for weekends with my dogs without tents etc, and buy a small Caravan to relax and create a new future sounds great. (to me at least)
2 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2020, 09:08 PM   #49
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Another point I should make is a poster said waste of time if just an hour trip. Fair enough but my circumstances are a bit different.

I'm Hobart and there are heaps of cool caravan spots at beaches etc within an hour away and having pretty big dogs getting accommodation for weekends away is both expensive and rarely pet friendly (my dogs come with me on weekends/holidays not kennels)

Hence my Caravan idea as a different way to relax and enjoy the outdoors, plus I'm really happy with the R36 as my daily, so just thought I'd clarify if people didn't understand why I was/am considering getting one that's all.
Buy rusty 400,000km Land Cruiser for $5K and pull caravan with that when you need to lol

VW says it can tow X amount, if the manufacturer says it can tow X then its within its capabilities. If anyone has had the misfortune of working with OE's then you'll realise their ridiculous requirements and safety margins they build into everything.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2020, 09:15 PM   #50
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No worries at all mate and thank you.

I'm sure your concerns are valid as you obviously have experience - I don't at all advice welcome.

I guess it excites me, as a single guy looking for new ways to move forward after a really tough couple of years (custody, health issues etc etc), if I could to get away for weekends with my dogs without tents etc, and buy a small Caravan to relax and create a new future sounds great. (to me at least)
Yeah I can see why you might only want to travel an hour or so from home.There are so many places,including lots of free camping places within 1-2 hours of Hobart,either up the east coast or up in the central highlands ( summer only lol)
Old 06-05-2020, 10:47 PM   #51
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Yeah I can see why you might only want to travel an hour or so from home.There are so many places,including lots of free camping places within 1-2 hours of Hobart,either up the east coast or up in the central highlands ( summer only lol)
Yep your username gives it away so yep, you'd know (each part of Tassie full of great spots)

I'm not intending on dragging it all over the place! I used to like tent camping but yeah....I'm 39 so oldish and just nah. (just me, some love camping and all good)

Last edited by MercuryT; 06-05-2020 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:50 PM   #52
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Buy rusty 400,000km Land Cruiser for $5K and pull caravan with that when you need to lol

VW says it can tow X amount, if the manufacturer says it can tow X then its within its capabilities. If anyone has had the misfortune of working with OE's then you'll realise their ridiculous requirements and safety margins they build into everything.
Insurance, Rego etc would be near 1.5K a year Franco.

Let alone being left stranded with an old 4wd if fails due to K's and age........

Thanks though, it might be best option (a previous great poster said uses a Jeep as "tow pig") but I can't afford an unreliable car on top of mine and if buy Caravan mate.

Last edited by MercuryT; 06-05-2020 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:12 PM   #53
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Just buy the van. The VW can tow it, and time you've spending thinking about it is either letting someone else buy the van, or it's depriving you of a weekend away that you'll enjoy.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 12:06 AM   #54
Pis-ton broke
Banned

if the towing numbers stack up, hey why not. its not like your going far at all. it least you are aware of any possblie difficulties, just don,t go towing up mt bulli . (wollingong). you can check the ball weight with a ball weight tester, about $40.00 i think. ball weight should be 10% of the total ladden trialer. and trailers over 750kg need braking assitance, electric or hydraulic.

in the ,80 and ,90 falcons were best and popular tow cars, commdores were underpowered and weak. in fact my dad stretched the back pillar in his company vk dunnydoor.

we towed cause we had horses, and many people towed over the limit, thats what people did then. back then a landcruiser couldn,t pull the skin off a rice pudding. we tow with stock i6 falcons and no load sharing or any of that stuff, but most horse people would use car mounted electric brakes.
the late ,90 discovery , has a tow cap of 4tons, which is the highest car/truck rating ive seen, cheap one go for 3k. but crusiers are good, 80 series diesel non tubro are gutless as ****.

oh, and one more thing, your not supposed to use the overdrive when towing and on some cars i think you can lock up the converter with a button.

Last edited by Pis-ton broke; 07-05-2020 at 12:21 AM.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 01:28 AM   #55
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
^^^^ I'm with Tassie F truck ^^^^^

Go Buy It & have some fun...
Be different if you were going to set off to do the "Big Lap" But for what you describe It should be OK... (IMHO)
Hey mate be serious (if not already)

So the R36 (full towing set up) think ok too?

Hopefully seller down a bit
Old 07-05-2020, 01:42 AM   #56
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stubing View Post
Just buy the van. The VW can tow it, and time you've spending thinking about it is either letting someone else buy the van, or it's depriving you of a weekend away that you'll enjoy.
I've offered 10 tomorrow. He wants 12.

Thank you for confidence .
Old 07-05-2020, 07:59 AM   #57
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Let alone being left stranded with an old 4wd if fails due to K's and age........
This statement really bugs me when I hear it.
Older stuff is just as reliable as new stuff If you maintain it.
And if you do get "stranded" you can normally fix the thing on the side of the road.

Sound like you have already made up your mind, If you reckon your car can tow a suitable caravan, just buy one or hire one to see if you like it.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 09:32 AM   #58
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
I've offered 10 tomorrow. He wants 12.

Thank you for confidence .
Yeah I think we all wish you well.

Have you got an area to store the caravan?
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 09:49 AM   #59
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Towing abililty is not the problem.i,m sure my wifes I30 would have no trouble at all towing a 2.5 tonne trailer along the road.The problem is in controlling the weight and wind effects if things go wrong. Caravans create a big wind drag and more so are very dangerous big box wnen caught up in strong sidewinds.There is a huge difference between a flat top trailer with 3 tonnes of bricks or roofng iron,and a big 7 mtr long x3mtr high hollow box.I really think wind resistance should be a consideration when setting tow ratings.Maybe I am a bit old school,but I would NOT tow a 3 tonne caravan with a smaller 2 tonne vehicle.
For the same reason our 96Kw Prado tows way better than our Territory,
A friend tows with a Discovery despite his wifes Audi Q5 having a far superior 190KW 580NM

towing that sort weight with a small sedan or wagon just doesn't compare, I don't know how its legal.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2020, 09:57 AM   #60
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post

Sound like you have already made up your mind, If you reckon your car can tow a suitable caravan, just buy one or hire one to see if you like it.
Good advice, try some windy spots, steep roads & driveways sure there's plenty around Hobart
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post