Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-01-2017, 03:18 AM   #271
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Wheels 'Ford Mustang V8 scores ‘poor’ 2-star safety rating'

Surprisingly I work in a couple of hi rise buildings with Nepalese (spelling?) Cleaners and they are surprisingly very hard workers. One guy (as hard as he is to understand, but he tries) goes above and beyond for just about anyone. Sherpa style should overtake hipsterism, but that would involve hard work not strange food.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-01-2017, 06:54 AM   #272
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Yes, data has been posted. All data is available on the ancap website. Anyone who takes the time to look and read, or even just look at the pretty colour pictures will realize mustang is a safe car.

Comments by mr goodwin from ancap are irresponsible, as they don't match up with the actual data, which shows minimal head injury scores, and green and yellow on the dummy which is more than acceptable for 5stars in that area according to their own website.

To me it stinks of sour grapes.

Info without context, or half truths, is just misleading and irresponsible.
Hey Prydey, love the way you think....Common sense prevails finally.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2017, 07:28 AM   #273
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To be honest, i have only been able to to afford new cars in the last 10,12 years, (six kids will do that) 2 falcons and a commy, why because they suited my purpose, they offer nothing now for me, talk about shooting your selves in the foot. With all this PC garbage, lots of bad press and the tree hugging sandal wearers we have no falcon, which does sadden me a bit. Really going to miss my last Falcon, best car by far....

Last edited by russellw; 31-01-2017 at 07:38 AM.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2017, 07:42 AM   #274
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

It doesn't take much does it to bring the worst out in people.

Several posts have been deleted, one user issued with a ban for being supercilious and deliberately obstreperous and a couple of other sent warning PM's.

This thread either remains civil or it will end up closed.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #275
prydey
Rob

Some more info I stumbled across on another forum, just to highlight how misleading some of the comments are regarding mustang.

Mazda mx-5 scored 5star (albeit in 2015 or 16, can't remember which), but when you read the text for the offset front crash, the dummy made contact with the A pillar then the steering wheel through the airbag, and had head injury scores higher than mustang. Still, like mustang, the results were still good enough to score 5 star in that particular test.

This is one of the things that annoyed me, especially coming from the ancap guy. They mention heads hitting dashboard but fail to mention the injury scores were still very low.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2017, 09:07 AM   #276
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Some more info I stumbled across on another forum, just to highlight how misleading some of the comments are regarding mustang.

Mazda mx-5 scored 5star (albeit in 2015 or 16, can't remember which), but when you read the text for the offset front crash, the dummy made contact with the A pillar then the steering wheel through the airbag, and had head injury scores higher than mustang. Still, like mustang, the results were still good enough to score 5 star in that particular test.

This is one of the things that annoyed me, especially coming from the ancap guy. They mention heads hitting dashboard but fail to mention the injury scores were still very low.
You have been looking at those stars for too long, MX5 (current model) is 4 Star Euro NCAP 2015.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2017, 09:16 AM   #277
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Buy one...

Get one free...

6 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #278
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
You have been looking at those stars for too long, MX5 (current model) is 4 Star Euro NCAP 2015.
I looked on ancap page. Maybe e-ncap not updated

http://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.ancap.co...pdf?1464759357

You are right though. Looking at it waaaay too much
Old 31-01-2017, 10:29 AM   #279
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I looked on ancap page. Maybe e-ncap not updated

http://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.ancap.co...pdf?1464759357

You are right though. Looking at it waaaay too much
Shows what a farce the whole thing is, same car is 4 Star in Europe and 5 Star in Australia.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #280
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
It doesn't take much does it to bring the worst out in people.

Several posts have been deleted, one user issued with a ban for being supercilious and deliberately obstreperous and a couple of other sent warning PM's.

This thread either remains civil or it will end up closed.

Cheers
Russ
Thanks Russ
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2017, 10:59 AM   #281
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good article. Cant dismiss the ratings. If your going to cart your family around in one, then surely safety is number 1.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #282
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Dunno TBH, another story said the car was tested to euro specs and that the US crash test specs were at a lower speeds. SO I doubt the US testing is stricter.

I can only assume due to autobahn speeds, euro spec would be the toughest..

But Ancap defended the higher spec test as it is the "global standard" known about by manufacturers for years? And the Mustang being a global design should have accommodated the specs in the design.

The way I read it is that Ford was likely aware of a potential issue and hence did all it could to not provide cars for testing...

I see why Ford feels butt hurt but at the end of the day is scored poorly where other cars don't. And yes US cars are not known for being innovative in design.

It would be extremely naive to not think Ford was not already aware of a possible poor outcome under more stringent test conditions conducted at higher speed. After all Ford do have and there own crash test facilities in Europe and the US....................let's hope the 2018 Mustang already incorporates the under the skin structural revisions to make it perform better in public domain testing next time. Unfortunately if this isn't the case we may see Ford pull the pin on Mustang as a global car.

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2017, 11:57 AM   #283
snowcone

Ford aware of a problem and dealing with it? Think Ford Explorer!
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2017, 12:21 PM   #284
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Actually this is a complete PR disaster for Ford
Every forum I visit, every comments section, every review has the bogan "2 star ANCAP less than a Great Wall" comment.
Ford need to fix this NOW from a PR perspective or they are going to get trashed.
Old 31-01-2017, 12:42 PM   #285
Blue_XR

I stumbled across this doing a google search,apologies if this has already been posted. I thought it would clarify the ANCAP results as interpreted by Ford Australia

Quote:
Statement by Ford on Mustang crash testing.
Statement:

· Mustang is a safe car meeting, or exceeding, all applicable safety standards globally. We are disappointed by the Ford Mustang Euro NCAP and ANCAP ratings.

· Mustang’s safety credentials are demonstrated by the five-star NHTSA NCAP rating awarded in the US as well as a ‘good’ IIHS rating.

· ANCAP adopted the Euro-NCAP result for the Mustang and both the E-NCAP and ANCAP results were published simultaneously on Wednesday 25 January. Mustang was tested under that latest E-NCAP protocol which is significantly more rigorous than previous protocols. Under this protocol, the maximum rating Mustang can receive, without Drivers Assistance Technologies such as Autonomous Emergency Breaking (AEB), is two stars.

· The Euro NCAP rating is based on four pillars (Adult Occupant Protection, Child Occupant Protection, Pedestrian Protection and Safety Assist), with a very strong focus on family car and SUV safety characteristics and specific safety assist features, which are usually not part of the standard equipment of cars in the Mustang category.

· The latest Euro NCAP protocol overall rating is based on 4 pillars and the results for Mustang are:

o Pedestrian Protection: five-stars (64%). The Mustang is equipped with a state of the art pop-up hood, which actively reduces the risk of injury to pedestrians.

o Adult Occupant: Four-stars (72%). ANCAP comments that in the frontal offset test the driver’s head contacted the steering wheel and the passenger’s head contacted the dashboard. Despite this, the dummy head injury values for Mustang shown in the ANCAP Technical Report for the Frontal Offset Test are still very low. The ANCAP Technical Report states for injury outcomes in the frontal offset test, driver and front passenger neck protection is rated as green/good and head protection is rated as yellow/acceptable. In the full width frontal test, the driver’s head and neck protection is rated as green/good. The overall adult occupant protection for Mustang rated by ANCAP using the latest Euro NCAP protocol is ‘acceptable’ (four-stars).

o Child Occupant: Three-stars (32%). Euro NCAP has a very strong focus on family car safety characteristics. The child occupant tests are focused on children of 10 years and younger (or equal to 140 cm and below). An important element of the Euro NCAP child safety rating includes elements such as ease of ingress/egress of the child seat, an area where 2-door coupes have a disadvantage.

o Safety Assistance Features: Two-stars (16%). Euro NCAP has a strong focus on specific safety assist features, which the Mustang is not currently equipped with in Australia such as Autonomous Emergency Braking. The two-star result (16%) in the Active Safety Assist pillar for not offering DATs such as AEB, determined the overall result of a two-star rating.

· Ford is committed to continued improvement in vehicle safety, and the 2018 Mustang in Australia will be equipped with driver assistance features such as AEB and Lane Keeping Aid.

· Mustang is the only vehicle in the sports car class to be tested under the rigorous new E-NCAP protocol.

· The Mustang features a suite of advanced safety features as standard including an ‘active’ pop-up bonnet, as well as driver and front passenger airbags, driver and front passenger knee airbags. It also offers standard curtain airbags, and driver/passenger side impact airbags. A Driver and front passenger seatbelt reminder system is standard.

Thanks,
Marty

---
Martin Günsberg
Ford Australia Communications | Ford Motor Company
http://www.************.com.au/showt...-crash-testing

Sorry this link won't post properly. Its from another forum. Just search "Statement-by-Ford-on-Mustang-crash-testing"

YouTube channel: Modaufy Garage
https://www.youtube.com/c/ModaufyGarage

Last edited by Blue_XR; 31-01-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Blue_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2017, 01:00 PM   #286
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT View Post
Actually this is a complete PR disaster for Ford
Every forum I visit, every comments section, every review has the bogan "2 star ANCAP less than a Great Wall" comment.
Ford need to fix this NOW from a PR perspective or they are going to get trashed.
Its a bit late the horse has bolted, wheels, car advice, drive, NRMA etc have all carried the story apart from a few rabid supporters on this forum the general public everywhere they look on social media are bombarded with the information of an unsafe 2 star car with airbag issues and passenger safety concerns on a $70k Ford Halo car. My boss says if you say it long enough people will take it as fact right or wrong, the statement released by ford is the equivalent of not lighting your cigarette to stop global warming.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2017, 01:04 PM   #287
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Truth .

http://autoexpert.com.au/buying-a-ca...7-ford-mustang
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #288
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just cannot Believe Ford Australia released the Mustang knowing quite well these results would come out ... drivers head hitting steering Wheel , passengers head hitting dash board...
Old 31-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #289
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemihunter View Post
I just cannot Believe Ford Australia released the Mustang knowing quite well these results would come out ... drivers head hitting steering Wheel , passengers head hitting dash board...
I can't believe you haven't read through this thread.
8 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #290
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8 View Post
I can't believe you haven't read through this thread.
46 klms and 64 klms testing speeds.
Old 31-01-2017, 01:30 PM   #291
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
46 klms and 64 klms testing speeds.
Did you get a speeding ticket ?
Old 31-01-2017, 01:33 PM   #292
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

I'm betting that you watch (and believe) shows like ACA as well
Old 31-01-2017, 01:45 PM   #293
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post

Tracy would lap this story up
2 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2017, 02:02 PM   #294
bingoTE50
Steve

If they recalibrate the inflation charge for the air bags , and address the door issue , I would imagine the rating would increase somewhat. Perhaps there will be a recall on the airbag issue . As matter of interest I wonder how they set the seats up for a crash test . All the way forward ? Steering wheel fully adjusted out ?
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2017, 02:03 PM   #295
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post

Cadogan makes shows like ACA look like documentary's.

He reminds me of Angry Anderson - they have to be related
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #296
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, Angry has SOME talent!!!
Old 31-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #297
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50 View Post
If they recalibrate the inflation charge for the air bags , and address the door issue , I would imagine the rating would increase somewhat. Perhaps there will be a recall on the airbag issue . As matter of interest I wonder how they set the seats up for a crash test . All the way forward ? Steering wheel fully adjusted out ?
It scored 2 star due to lacking safety assist technology. Nothing to do with airbags or doors.

There are 4 areas tested. Pedestrian safety, adult safety, child safety and safety assist technology. They rated in order, 5 star, 4 star, 3 star and 2 star. Overall rating is whatever the lowest score is.

It's that simple. 10 pages and still people are getting misled by the airbag and door thing.
Old 31-01-2017, 03:20 PM   #298
stig_3754

Quote:
I think if anything that 'article' makes me more determined to buy a Mustang just to stick it up this flog.
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2017, 03:23 PM   #299
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig_3754 View Post
I think if anything that 'article' makes me more determined to buy a Mustang just to stick it up this flog.
I'm the opposite. Why try and prove a point at the expense of your life should you be involved in an accident. Mustang is just a car.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2017, 03:30 PM   #300
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked View Post
I'm the opposite. Why try and prove a point at the expense of your life should you be involved in an accident. Mustang is just a car.
I'm sure I'll be OK as I won't be driving from the back seat.
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: