Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 23-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default ef / nf V8 mods

I'm thinking of buying an NF Fairlane at a good price . as much as I love my XR6 I haven't had an 8 for a while and want one to play with ( I'm still keeping the XR as a daily driver)
I have limited experience with injected Windsors
what mods do you guys recommend cam is out of the question as I don't want to dump the AC gas, heads could be an option but probably looking for simpler stuff to start with. I know the stock EF / NF V8 are a bit asthmatic so I am thinking of exhaust / intake to start with.
A few questions
  1. what is involved in fitting an AU intake setup ( complete from manifold to air box) I have heard you need to do some mods for the explorer manifold
  2. I have looked at the Redback site and the have no Fairlane listings are the Fairlane exhausts the same as the wagon due to both being longer wheelbase?
  3. I am looking at a cruiser with a nice note and good low down grunt not a top end screamer with this in mind what extractors would best suit this?
  4. are J3 chips worth the effort? if so who would you recommend for this?
  5. are the 1.72:1 roller rockers going to give much gain and will I need a taller rocker covers?
I'm sure to think of more but that's a good start , this won't be a daily driver more a weekend fun car and occasionally drive to work if I'm getting something done to the XR so consumption is not critical but don't want to tow a trailer to carry enough fuel to keep it going

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Re: ef / nf V8 mods

Being the 'experienced' member you are I would have thought you'd put this in the correct section...

But anyway:

what is involved in fitting an AU intake setup ( complete from manifold to air box) I have heard you need to do some mods for the explorer manifold

You have to fit the IAT sensor into the manifold as that is how it is on the E series. Or you can extend the looms and run it in the intake pipe as per AU spec.

I have looked at the Redback site and the have no Fairlane listings are the Fairlane exhausts the same as the wagon due to both being longer wheelbase?

No, different from what I know.

I am looking at a cruiser with a nice note and good low down grunt not a top end screamer with this in mind what extractors would best suit this?

Tri-Y's are generally regarded as having more low down torque as compared to 4 into 1s. I have always had 4 into 1's though with no complaints.

are J3 chips worth the effort? if so who would you recommend for this?

No.

are the 1.72:1 roller rockers going to give much gain and will I need a taller rocker covers?

Yes and yes I think you would. But why you would bother putting a good set of rockers onto E7 heads is beyond me.
Old 23-12-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Just fixed it Aust

As you were.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for that you have covered it all well. in regard to the rockers that's for if I decide to go with the GT40P heads ( wish list if I get some cheap enough)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf View Post
Being the 'experienced' member you are I would have thought you'd put this in the correct section...

But anyway:

what is involved in fitting an AU intake setup ( complete from manifold to air box) I have heard you need to do some mods for the explorer manifold

You have to fit the IAT sensor into the manifold as that is how it is on the E series. Or you can extend the looms and run it in the intake pipe as per AU spec.

I have looked at the Redback site and the have no Fairlane listings are the Fairlane exhausts the same as the wagon due to both being longer wheelbase?

No, different from what I know.

I am looking at a cruiser with a nice note and good low down grunt not a top end screamer with this in mind what extractors would best suit this?

Tri-Y's are generally regarded as having more low down torque as compared to 4 into 1s. I have always had 4 into 1's though with no complaints.

are J3 chips worth the effort? if so who would you recommend for this?

No.

are the 1.72:1 roller rockers going to give much gain and will I need a taller rocker covers?

Yes and yes I think you would. But why you would bother putting a good set of rockers onto E7 heads is beyond me.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 23-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I've done the Explorer conversion, there's 3 or 4 things different.

One vacuum hose needs to be joined to another with a T piece, the IAT needs a hole to be drilled and tapped into the number 5 runner (putting it into the intake pipe may effect temps), the AU throttlebody needs the TPS sensor bolt holes ground out as far as they can go to get them set in the right voltage range, and the EGR coolant lines need to be looped together because the AU EGR spacer doesn't have EGR provision.

Thats about it really although I may have forgotten something. Its not that hard.

Just do the bolt on stuff, XR snorkel and filter, pacemaker extractors and twin and a quarter inch exhaust, Explorer intake and AU throttlebody and MAF, underdrive pullies and get it tuned. That should wake it up nicely. Roller rockers, heads and a cam if you want to go further.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
RAPID_BA
Banned

Default MeRe: ef / nf V8 mods

Should have bought my ltd, sold it for $5500 with all the mods.

I had a e series cat back fitted but exhaust shop had to cut it and lengthen it. Try y headers and 200 cell cats. Gave it a great sound and more low end torque.

Also added 3.45 diff gears and made a big difference.

Ended up with a 0-100 time in the low 7s. 7.2s

It was a sweet sweet cruiser and new owner calls me to let me know what I'm missing.

Get diff gears and full exhaust and intake. It will be a great cruiser.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: MeRe: ef / nf V8 mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID_BA View Post
Should have bought my ltd, sold it for $5500 with all the mods.
where would the fun be in that

Rides: