Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #1
REDDYZ

Unhappy Fuel filler pipe seal

Last February I cancelled my Cougar's registration as it was due for rego renewal ($850 here in QLD), needed exhaust repair, tyres and I had plans to replace cams (with SVT ones) and lifters. So, bought a brand new Nissan X-Trail on 1% finance instead. Last December I sold the X-Trail, got my Cougar fixed and registered (didn't replace the cams and lifters though). It passed RWC with no issues.

It was very low on fuel all the time it was being fixed, during rwc, etc,. Disaster after filled tank full of petrol. There is a fuel leak from an unusual place where the filler pipe intersects the fuel tank. There is a rubber seal that seals that joint from leaking fuel. It is a ridiculously stupid design. See the pic below that I sourced from internet. This is not from a Cougar but its the same thing positioned in a different angle.

You can not see the rubber seal in the pic above but you can see it in the pic below.

Fuel tank has to be dropped to change that seal. There is no other way. I tried to take the filler pipe out and no luck. My bad luck is that there is 65L of fuel in tank and there is no way I can drop the tank with so much fuel in Tank.

Making things worst, whilst I was trying to figure out why fuel is leaking from that joint (as couldn't see the seal) unknowingly the leak has become big. Since then as soon as start lowering the car on jack fuel is pouring out from that joint. Did a bit of investigation in other american and uk ford forums and the conclusion was to drop the tank.

Other option is to get the fuel out of the tank. Believe or not, I just couldn't siphon the fuel out with any kind of siphon kit. The siphon pipe just wouldn't go into the tank. (tried various sizes and kinds) The filler pipe is designed in such a way that fuel would only go in and not out. There are so many bends including a 90 degree bend and there is a flap at the end of the pipe that opens only when there is fuel rushing in and as the tank gets full the flap is force closed by the fuel in tank.

Took fuel filter out and tried to pump it out. Thought I would siphon from the top where the pump sits but I will have to cut open the steel to access the pump. Couldn't find a drain plug either. Xmas holidays were approaching and with nothing much I could do, I went and bought a second hand Holden Astra. Since then cougar is sitting in garage since then.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post