Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-04-2017, 11:02 PM   #1
Doreturnonfoot

Default Hwp matters

My friend Was driving On a country road at night, and gets overtaken by hwp. They then pulled her over for rbt. When the enquiry was made why she was driving so slow, she answers is cause of the Roos sir.
Rbt all clear - cop takes off and sure as sugar a few ks ahead he has hit a big buck in the hwp car.
She then pulls over to make sure he's ok and reminded him of the earlier conversation. Now I wonder if he got a neg driving ticket from his colleagues who she then passed on her way to the next town?
Their ads are telling us to slow down - the maximum speed limit is 100 so you do drive according the conditions then get pulled over. I guess the written off car means there's one less hwp around
Doreturnonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2017, 11:21 PM   #2
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: Hwp matters

Should have wound down the window and yelled, " see, told you so " as she drove past.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2017, 12:04 AM   #3
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not a neg drive to hit a roo, otherwise I would be getting a neg drive at least once or twice a month, or my worst day three a day.

It's called roo at fault if it jumps out in front of a car.

Lucky my car has a good bull bar that sorts that stuff out without any major dramas.

Sounds like a bit of a strange story as HWP rarely work country roads at night for this exact reason they mostly stay in city / town limits at night, and generally they don't overtake a car they are going to stop, they pull the car up from behind.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I was travelling across the Hay Plain late one night minding my own business, doing the speed limit, and got passed by a HWP going at least 160kph; no lights or sirens, just blew by like I was standing still. I was running Lightforce Blitzs' to see where I was going but this bloke had nothing but the factory lights, talk about living dangerously.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-04-2017, 09:43 AM   #5
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Default Hwp matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
It's not a neg drive to hit a roo, otherwise I would be getting a neg drive at least once or twice a month, or my worst day three a day.

It's called roo at fault if it jumps out in front of a car.

Lucky my car has a good bull bar that sorts that stuff out without any major dramas.

Sounds like a bit of a strange story as HWP rarely work country roads at night for this exact reason they mostly stay in city / town limits at night, and generally they don't overtake a car they are going to stop, they pull the car up from behind.

Sounds like a pub yarn. So the can all sit and laugh at the darn police.

I'm inclined to believe none of it.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2017, 02:42 PM   #6
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Not over here.
HWP do their best work at night. Country cars have lights and bullbars depending on location.

Unmarked smoke XR6T's go really well up the hwy at 3am.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2017, 07:09 PM   #7
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
I was travelling across the Hay Plain late one night minding my own business, doing the speed limit, and got passed by a HWP going at least 160kph; no lights or sirens, just blew by like I was standing still. I was running Lightforce Blitzs' to see where I was going but this bloke had nothing but the factory lights, talk about living dangerously.
Damn , in the younger years I crossed the Hay plains in times unspeakable in a dual fuel AU3 220kw ute. Syd to Adelaide in record time and on budget thanks to lpg. Thankfully not one skippy or bush pig that night
Old 15-04-2017, 10:02 PM   #8
Doreturnonfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
Sounds like a pub yarn. So the can all sit and laugh at the darn police.

I'm inclined to believe none of it.
Well mate this is the pub section - I do believe my source.
Doreturnonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2017, 10:36 PM   #9
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:

In Qld the HWP, or RPU aren't restricted to urban areas. However, the areas in western Qld are less likely to see them, as they are based in major towns.

If they are rostered to work at night, unless they are assigned to a specific task or operation they can go where they want. Again, they might have more fun pulling over drivers in town, rather than one car every so often. They may even have been returning from a call for service.

I worked in Longreach in the 80's/90's, and you get coppers transferred out to country areas that have no idea of the risks or problems involved in driving in rural areas. I reckon this story is quite believable.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2017, 12:14 AM   #10
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I fail to see the issue...a police car hit a roo...big deal.

Sounds, more like someone trying be a smart arze "see, told you so" scenario.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2017, 07:06 AM   #11
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good lights and a bullbar wont always save you i was hit in the side by a roo i didn't see in my ba ,came out of a gap in the trees in daylight hidden by the a pillar .car was close to a write off ,both doors and rear quarrter pushed the car about a foot side ways at 100 klms hour and i s@$t when it's tail hit the upper door frame leval with my head. Skippy then got up and hoppes off !
Old 21-04-2017, 08:06 AM   #12
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HWP can do no wrong. He probably attempted to issue the roo with a ticket after the incident.
I might seam bitter, but 2 night ago I saw a HWP pull a few dumb moves to catch a car doing about 10 over on a 3 lane highway in light traffic.
The HWP caused more risk to the public in those 50 seconds than the speeding car did if they drove at that speed all night. But hey he got closer to his quota so it's all good.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2017, 02:09 PM   #13
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
HWP can do no wrong. He probably attempted to issue the roo with a ticket after the incident.
I might seam bitter, but 2 night ago I saw a HWP pull a few dumb moves to catch a car doing about 10 over on a 3 lane highway in light traffic.
The HWP caused more risk to the public in those 50 seconds than the speeding car did if they drove at that speed all night. But hey he got closer to his quota so it's all good.
Was the car registered?
Was it stolen?
You saw one part of the story
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #14
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Careful sir, you'll upset the do gooders and our resident HWP who use AFF.

But your totally right. No loss to society really.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2017, 04:47 PM   #15
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
HWP can do no wrong. .
Hey Ben73

Just be thankful you are in NSW.

Here, I have found the police give reasonable leeway for speed variance, unlike the absurdity of places like Victoria.

And I am not a saint and on those times I have been a knob and got caught in NSW, when I have been charged I have always been charged moderately- it helps to realise they are decent people doing a job.

And in some 25 years in NSW, there has only been 1 occasion where I was fined that I thought it was a bit rich, every other time it was a fair call and on numerous times I perceived that the charges proffered were the lowest I could have hoped for.

I am always relieved crossing into NSW and breathe a sigh of relief, especially leaving Victoria where it is revenue robbery, or Qld where you are likely to get locked up with armed robbers and drug dealers for simply farting in the street on New Years Eve.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2017, 05:02 PM   #16
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

The only way to get a neg driving charge involving a roo is if you swerve around it and crash. If you can't safely avoid it, just hit it. Roos are soft compared to trees and oncoming traffic. Wombats however, I'd probably take my chances with a tree.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2017, 05:09 PM   #17
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
The only way to get a neg driving charge involving a roo is if you swerve around it and crash. If you can't safely avoid it, just hit it. Roos are soft compared to trees and oncoming traffic. Wombats however, I'd probably take my chances with a tree.
What about wild horses. When I was in the NT saw some nasty stuff involving horses- they are high and end up going over bonnet and taking out the front part of the roof together with what is soft underneath the roof.

When in the NT cruising at 160 kmph along the Stuart HWY with no speed restrictions was alwaysparanoid going through a hill with cutting for road that going over top that unseen wild horses would jump out the other side....

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 21-04-2017, 05:50 PM   #18
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quite a few years ago I was driving back to Perth from Albany one night at "speed". I was driving 60 - 80,000 kms per year then in my job so my car was set up with powerful spot lamps. I drove through a deep cutting and a really big roo jumped off the top of the embankment, landed right in the middle of the road and as I prepared for impact it jumped up again and I went right under it and its tail whacked the roof. Needed a beer when I got home.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2017, 06:45 PM   #19
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Quite a few years ago I was driving back to Perth from Albany one night at "speed". I was driving 60 - 80,000 kms per year then in my job so my car was set up with powerful spot lamps. I drove through a deep cutting and a really big roo jumped off the top of the embankment, landed right in the middle of the road and as I prepared for impact it jumped up again and I went right under it and its tail whacked the roof. Needed a beer when I got home.
Ok- another close shave- I was working in Katherine NT and one evening decided to take my TE Cortina 4.1 with alloy head for a blast along an unrestricted road at night. Had hella brights on and was blasting along at 185 kph plus, when out of the corner of my light beams jumped a big roo but as I was going so fast it hit the rear passenger door in a glancing blow, which did not upset the balance

Got back to the townhouse, looked for a dint- nothing. Realised had I hit it on the front and upset my balance at speed it would not have been a good ending for me.

So from then on only did high speed runs in day with good vision of road and lack of foliage on sides of roads potentially hiding wildlife.

2 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2017, 07:49 PM   #20
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Ok- another close shave- I was working in Katherine NT and one evening decided to take my TE Cortina 4.1 with alloy head for a blast along an unrestricted road at night. Had hella brights on and was blasting along at 185 kph plus, when out of the corner of my light beams jumped a big roo but as I was going so fast it hit the rear passenger door in a glancing blow, which did not upset the balance

Got back to the townhouse, looked for a dint- nothing. Realised had I hit it on the front and upset my balance at speed it would not have been a good ending for me.

So from then on only did high speed runs in day with good vision of road and lack of foliage on sides of roads potentially hiding wildlife.
Good thing about the NT is the roos are more wallaby sized.
As you drive up through WA you notice the roos get bigger and bigger until about Meekatharra where you get the huge Euros. You really don't want to hit those fellas. Then from Newman on up to Darwin they get smaller again.

I recall one night around Victoria River where we were on a fast emergency run in an HSV to Katherine and we were literally surrounded by roos. They were actually hard to spot due to their size, but we made it through unscathed...somehow.

XC Cobra #181.
Old 21-04-2017, 07:59 PM   #21
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Good thing about the NT is the roos are more wallaby sized.
As you drive up through WA you notice the roos get bigger and bigger until about Meekatharra where you get the huge Euros. You really don't want to hit those fellas. Then from Newman on up to Darwin they get smaller again.

I recall one night around Victoria River where we were on a fast emergency run in an HSV to Katherine and we were literally surrounded by roos. They were actually hard to spot due to their size, but we made it through unscathed...somehow.
Yeah- agreed that the roos around NT are more wallaby sized.

Ever been to Warrumbungles in NSW, now there you get some giant kangas, and lots of them.

Also recently in Victoria in Wimmera I noticed lots of dead very big roos- made me slow down when I realized they were big and real potential for collision.

Also what speeds were you doing in the HSV- nothing like opening your car up legally to fastest it will go, and slowing down for the only reason being massive fuel consumption.....

Old 21-04-2017, 09:15 PM   #22
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:

Good old cortina must have door panels made of solid steel. Had the same thing happen in my FG2 GT and the doors crinkled like a milo tin .
Old 21-04-2017, 09:19 PM   #23
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have smoked darts on the side of the road with HWP
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2017, 10:55 PM   #24
Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
Have smoked darts on the side of the road with HWP
darts?
Boss 302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #25
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah- agreed that the roos around NT are more wallaby sized.

Ever been to Warrumbungles in NSW, now there you get some giant kangas, and lots of them.

Also recently in Victoria in Wimmera I noticed lots of dead very big roos- made me slow down when I realized they were big and real potential for collision.

Also what speeds were you doing in the HSV- nothing like opening your car up legally to fastest it will go, and slowing down for the only reason being massive fuel consumption.....
Warrumbungles? Doesn't ring a bell, where is it near?
My travels through NSW have been mainly up the Newell and I remember around Coonabarabran (sp?) one night and it was infested with pigs. Never seen anything like it before. Not so many roos though.

That Darwin trip was a bit of a legend, Perth to Darwin in pretty much two days. The second day was Broome to Darwin and speeds were hitting the limiter at 260.At night we were sometimes down to 40 though. That poor VE clubbie, it was only a couple of days old at the time and I believe the only LS3 in the state.

XC Cobra #181.
Old 22-04-2017, 01:06 PM   #26
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Warrumbungles? Doesn't ring a bell, where is it near?
My travels through NSW have been mainly up the Newell and I remember around Coonabarabran (sp?) one night and it was infested with pigs. Never seen anything like it before. Not so many roos though.
The Warrumbungles are to the West of Coonabarabran.
Old 22-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #27
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
The Warrumbungles are to the West of Coonabarabran.
Thanks Gas.

Never in my life had I seen so many pigs, you don't see a lot of them around the roads over here.
Luckily we got chatting to a truckie at one stop and he told us to sit in right behind and he would sweep the road for us. Which he did, very kind of him.

XC Cobra #181.
Old 22-04-2017, 02:05 PM   #28
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Thanks Gas.

Never in my life had I seen so many pigs, you don't see a lot of them around the roads over here.
Luckily we got chatting to a truckie at one stop and he told us to sit in right behind and he would sweep the road for us. Which he did, very kind of him.
How long ago was that?
I used to drive through there 5/6 nights a week for 12 years and only saw roos, and they were mainly in the Pilliga.
Old 22-04-2017, 02:11 PM   #29
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
How long ago was that?
I used to drive through there 5/6 nights a week for 12 years and only saw roos, and they were mainly in the Pilliga.
1991 if memory serves.

I can't remember the next town North but it was between there and Coonabarabran they were thickest.

XC Cobra #181.
Old 22-04-2017, 02:42 PM   #30
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
Was the car registered?
Was it stolen?
You saw one part of the story
I thought about that, and I don't know. Must be a coincidence that its always the car doing a little over the limit is the only unregistered car in the area.

Quote:
Hey Ben73

Just be thankful you are in NSW.

Here, I have found the police give reasonable leeway for speed variance, unlike the absurdity of places like Victoria.

And I am not a saint and on those times I have been a knob and got caught in NSW, when I have been charged I have always been charged moderately- it helps to realise they are decent people doing a job.

And in some 25 years in NSW, there has only been 1 occasion where I was fined that I thought it was a bit rich, every other time it was a fair call and on numerous times I perceived that the charges proffered were the lowest I could have hoped for.

I am always relieved crossing into NSW and breathe a sigh of relief, especially leaving Victoria where it is revenue robbery, or Qld where you are likely to get locked up with armed robbers and drug dealers for simply farting in the street on New Years Eve.
Yeah true, I have never had any issues personally with the HP, but I have seen them do a few things that makes you shake your head.
Worst a HP has ever done to me was slowly veer into my lane when I was about to pass him. I assume he was stuffing around with a computer or phone because after the slow wandering there was a sudden yank on the wheel to pull his car back into his lane. That must be all that 'special training' at work that allows police to do things that regular people are banned from doing while driving.

Last edited by Ben73; 22-04-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post