Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 10-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
KingRat
Starter Motor

Default In need of a major service/overhaul

Hi guys,

I have been on and off on this forum and am normally a silent reader. Before anything else, I must say that I am not a very technical person and dont know much about cars and the mechanics involved.
I stuffed up my engine last year (my own fault) and got it replaced. The car has been running alright since then, although the first two weeks after the engine got replaced were fantastic, and afterwards, I have been having those surge issues as well where sometimes it runs really well and seems powerful and other times, it absolutely struggles. I dont know much about engine tuning etc. but feel that it is in need of a nice tune and a nice major service where I get all the main stuff checked and adjusted.

I am based in Melbourne and looking for a good mechanic that knows cougars and would be able to help get the service etc. done. I am also considering getting all the filters and leads etc. replaced. Would replacing the injectors be worth it? I know the breaks need doing as well.

I know a few of you are from Melbourne. I have had the pleasure of meeting Yogi who has been fantastic help. Any suggestions yogi and others? I dont really wana go to ford because I know they overcharge and I dont want to spend bucketloads on this.

Can someone please tell me what to buy from Rockauto so I could get these parts replaced?

Many thanks,
Oz

KingRat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
thearrow

Default Re: In need of a major service/overhaul

Sorry to hear you are having trouble, how many KM's on the replacement engine?? If you are in Melbourne then Yogi is the man for you.

You won't need to replace the injectors maybe a giving them a good clean out will help.

Replacement plugs, leads & air filters will be a start to fix it.

Good to own but "High Maintenance"

2000 Model Eibach Cougar (Auto) - Now dead & buried
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
KingRat
Starter Motor

If I believe the wreckers, its 88000 K's. Plus the 10-12 that I have driven... so should be around the 100k mark now.

It refused to start today with a clicking noise so I suspected it was the battery. The RACV guy jumpstarted it for me and it seems to be working fine, but he did check and told me that my alternator might be frying the battery because it is sending 15 volts when it should be under 14. Not sure if is related but both my headlights blew up a while ago and I replaced the bulbs and within 6 months, one side has blown up again which I have replaced yesterday... so not sure whats going on there. Is there a way to get the electrics checked if nothing is broken?

Yogi, any suggestions? I want to get a nice overhaul done. You must know someone good. I miss the 'good' drives. Shes slightly out of tune I reckon.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
KingRat
Starter Motor

Ok, so for Rockauto, so far, I'm planning to get the plugs, the air filter and the oil filter, a set of leads... what else should I be getting?
Old 10-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #5
scout

I would sugest that you get the codes read. If Yogi or someone else down there can point you in the direction of a good mechanic that helps heaps. It took me a couple until I got someone that could read the codes correctly. I would not order anything from Rockauto until you have a complete parts list. Getting all items at once generally works out cheaper.
scout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
thearrow

So you are approaching the magic 100K mark, as you are having electrical problems as well, your problems with surging may also be electrical in which case a mechanic is not going to help you.

Take it to an auto electrician and tell him what is going on, he will pull the codes and soon be able to identify the problem (while he is doing it say a silent prayer or two that it is not the alternator as they are impossible to replace).

At 100K a lot of little things start to go wrong and will need to be replaced so you will become a regular at rockauto anyway as they are such a good source for cheap parts.

Scout is right you really need to identify the problem and take it from there.

Let us know how you get on.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
baz

I've seen lots of alternators at rockauto.
baz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
thearrow

The problem with the American alternators is that they don't fit aussie cougars. As I understand it all our Cougars came from Ford in Germany where they

Old 11-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
thearrow

OOOPS pressed the wrong button...

As I was saying...The problem with the American alternators is that they don't fit Aussie cougars.

As I understand it all our Cougars came from Ford in Germany where they were Europeanised (if you know what I mean) and different alternators and aircon compressors were fitted suitable for European conditions.

Failed alternators were/are a huge problem in the U.S. and on the U.S. forums it is a constant problem along with fuel pump problems on 99 models.

I don't know anyone on these boards who over the years has been able to track down a new replacement alternator and the only recourse is a re-build.

So good luck with it, get it tested and take it from there.

Old 16-05-2011, 12:31 AM   #10
REDDYZ

Sorry to hear about the problems with the car mate. I saw the post long back but really couldn't reply as am caught up with few things and really very busy. Hardly sleeping for 5 hours. Anyway, before anything dont start your car until you fix the alternator. You are lucky that only battery is stuffed. If any of the ECUs are stuffed then its a big deal to replace them so dont use car at all. Even if you have to start make sure you put full load on electricals by turning on rear de-mister, headlights, fog-lights on, A/C on, all possible electricals on. By this the excess voltage from alternator will be compensated. You dont need to replace the alternator. You just need a new voltage regulator which will be on the rear side of the alternator. It happened to me and I just replaced the regulator and problem is fixed. Make sure you buy genuine Motorcraft regulator. Its only $47. Here are the details from rockauto.com

What arrow said is true that A/C compressors, alternators are different on our cougars which are European version (not American). You know where I worked and my boss sent my alternator for rebuild and unfortunately no one could source parts. Not in Melbourne. You can get aftermarket alternators which are 110 or 115 amps (suits 01-02 cougars) and are not compatible with 99-00 model cougars which need 130Amps alternators. So dont buy the wrong one in case you think of replacing the whole alternator. But trust me its 100% voltage regulator. Replace it and you will be happy.

Your car is manual so my guess is the surging problem is not complicated. Before you go deep into fixing the surging problems start from basic things and if you are lucky problem will be fixed with a small repair. It happened with my car lot of times. Since your car is due for major service first replace the following things and see if the surging problem is fixed.

Ignition coil pack (Motorcraft brand)
Ignition leads (spark plug leads) (Motorcraft)
Double platinum spark plugs [Motorcraft part no. SP-432 (AGSF32FM)]
Change all filters esp' fuel filter (any good brand will do)

I insist you buy Motorcraft brand which is fitted from factory. I have tried them, trust me its worth. If you dont find any of the above let me know, I can find them for you. You can check few diodes in the fuse boxes. Check D1 and D2 fuses (they are diodes actually, not fuses) in the fuse box in engine bay which are for reverse voltage protection. And check D2 in the fuse box which is under glove box under passenger side above footwell. Let me know if they are faulty, I will tell you what to do.

Once you replace the above and problem persists, get the MAF sensor checked. This could be a major possibility. It is called Mass Air Flow sensor.

Also get air charge temperature sensor which will be on side of the air filter box and can be seen once you open the top cover of air filter box. If this doesn't help then you need to look at the fuel pump. There are few things that can be checked before you get to fuel pump so let me know how you go with the service parts replacements and voltage regulator, and we will take it from there.

cheers

Yogi
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #11
baz

I was just wondering if the cougars in England would be Europeanised,
in other words made in Germany.
Old 16-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
thearrow

All Cougars were manufactured in Flat Rock, Michigan USA and then sent to Ford in Germany for conversion to European standard. So if you wanted a new alternator you would have to track one down there not so easy to get parts from there as I found out when I had to replace my headlights.

Old 17-05-2011, 06:25 AM   #13
REDDYZ

These are few alternators that are compatible with 99-00 Cougars. If you have 01-02 Cougar then you can source one locally for under $100.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-ALTER...#ht_4951wt_907

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-FORD-...ht_3637wt_1141

There are plenty to choose from. Make sure you are buying 130Amp alternator.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.

Last edited by REDDYZ; 17-05-2011 at 06:43 AM.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
baz

Very interesting Reddyz, I don't need any parts at the moment but nice to know where to go when you do. I have the 2001 and I thought that because we are runnung the same engine all parts would fit, I understand changing from left hand drive but I though all other parts would be the same.