Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 16-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #1
baz

Default 2001 ford cougar door actuator

Can any other door actuators work on the cougars, my drivers side as packed in,

baz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

hmm, not sure. I know the stock ones aren't effing expensive. Dan should be able to tell you how much as he had his changed. I traded my cougar in with the problem, so I don't know if they found it haha

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR5-Boy
hmm, not sure. I know the stock ones aren't effing expensive. Dan should be able to tell you how much as he had his changed. I traded my cougar in with the problem, so I don't know if they found it haha
I noticed this morning that its working again Thank god: as i just got an email from a ford dealer in Brisbane there price was $646.70, seems a lot of money for a simple plunger, if it dies on me again i'll just use the key, a lot cheaper, LOL.
Old 17-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

sorry, i should have said "i know the stock ones ARE effing expensive"

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Hahahahaha definitely not cheap I have to say. I've had both of mine replaced and luckily they were under warranty (extended warranty paid for itself with those two!)

The problem will start out intermittently, but it is unfortunately a common problem with Cougars.

Dan
Old 29-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
REDDYZ

I think with these actuators, as long as they are used regularly they work fine. Because, When I bought my cougar it wasnt driven for long time and had problem with passenger side door actuator and after few weeks of use it fixed by itself and never had that problem again.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga_hoops
I think with these actuators, as long as they are used regularly they work fine. Because, When I bought my cougar it wasnt driven for long time and had problem with passenger side door actuator and after few weeks of use it fixed by itself and never had that problem again.
Thanks Guys. It's still working, I think Yoga was right
i did'nt use the cat very much.
Baz
Old 29-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
REDDYZ

My kitty was sitting in garage for almost 2 months in nov and Dec last year and same thing happened. Passenger door actuator is not responding to remote. It happened before and it fixed itself after sometime. This time it's been a month and no luck yet. It's annoying, have to lock passenger door manually, when it is in unlock position car won't lock with remote. And dead lock never works. Central locking works though partially. If passenger door is locked from inside manually that locks the whole car. Any one any ideas? Already tried disconnecting battery and stuff.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
Old 30-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

REDDYZ, it starts as a problem that fixes itself but eventually the actuator will fail. Sounds like you could be up for a new one. I've been there, twice, with both drivers and passengers doors. At the time (a few years ago) Ford pricing was about $600+ per actuator.

Dan
Old 31-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
REDDYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas
REDDYZ, it starts as a problem that fixes itself but eventually the actuator will fail. Sounds like you could be up for a new one. I've been there, twice, with both drivers and passengers doors. At the time (a few years ago) Ford pricing was about $600+ per actuator.

Dan
Dan, I spoke to a Ford dealer today to find out the price and according to him he said it includes the lock and wasn't sure if existing key would fit in the lock. Is that true? Sounds stupid. Did you replace the keys?
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #11
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Nope, still using the original keys with mine?

Dan
Old 03-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #12
Cougar1999
Starter Motor

Smile Cougar door locks

Hi Guys,
I'm almost pleased to hear that this is a "common problem" on Cougars. When I bought mine 11 years ago, the door loacks failed after about 12 months (driven daily and cared for meticulously) and I was amazed to be given a bill for the repairs - they said it was something that was not covered by the warranty as it was considered a moving part that was subject to "wear and tear". And there was I thinking that something like a door actuator should last "the life of the vehicle" - silly me!
Otherwise, great little car and still going well with only 80,000kms travelled. I'll probably only get rid of it when it's too low for this old timer to get in and out of!
Cheers
Cougar1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Welcome Cougar1999! An 'original' owner on these boards? Awesome! haha. Glad to hear that after 11 years you're still happy with the car though.

Funny with the actuators though, as both of mine which failed were replaced under Ford warranty - I guess they must've changed their tune?

Dan
Old 04-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #14
REDDYZ

It all depends from dealer to dealer. Most of them try their best to help Ford and some try their best to help the customer. They can even claim air filter under warranty if they really want. You know what I mean...

On UK ebay, a Ford dealer is selling these genuine actuators for just £45 each. Only problem is they dont ship overseas.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #15
Capriman
formerly ford3000gt

Cougar1999, is yours an auto or a manual as I've read that the manual pedals are too close together and over to the left a bit too much. I'm looking at one as a cruiser whilst my V6 Capri is having a complete makeover, which could take some time, if you know what I mean!
Capriman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #16
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

The manual pedals don't allow room for a footrest, but I can often rest mine in the small recess there. They are a bit far to the left, but only because of the location of the gearbox.

I've had others comment that the pedals are close together but it's never really been a problem for me?

Dan (even though you asked Cougar1999) :P
Old 04-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #17
REDDYZ

Just noticed that the door actuator is out of hibernation. Its working again.

Mine is manual too. Never had issues with pedal clearances or left foot rest. My foot is 11 size and quiet wide as well. Only complaint about Cougar being a driver is the steering should have adjustable reach. Unfortunately its only up and down tilt. People with long legs will have difficulty reaching steering while turning.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #18
baz

I also have a manual, and I find the only problem is the amount of brake travel. I like to have brake as soon as I hit the pedal. It is better after having the brake fluid changed,but I would like it to be better. They should have some way of adjusting them.
Baz
Old 06-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #19
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Actually baz, you're right about the brake pedal! Something I've got used to over the years but quite odd when I first got into the car. It also means I'm not usually very smooth with braking in almost any other car I drive! haha.

Dan
Old 06-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #20
REDDYZ

I think this is how it is in 2001 models. Previous models dont have this issue. Brakes are perfect. Hardly there is any pedal travel. Lot of cars do come with pedal travel adjustment and not sure with Cougars. Check your pedal for adjustment, If there is such option, that should fix this.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #21
baz

I have had a look, also read the manual,but I must admit I don't understand the things they talk about. I would love to be able to adjust the pedal, so if anyone has done it or knows how to do it let me know.
Baz
Old 07-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #22
Cougar1999
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford3000gt
Cougar1999, is yours an auto or a manual as I've read that the manual pedals are too close together and over to the left a bit too much. I'm looking at one as a cruiser whilst my V6 Capri is having a complete makeover, which could take some time, if you know what I mean!
Hi ford3000gt, Sorry for the delay in responding, been having a couple of senior moments. I've seen a number of reviews on the Cougar over the years and they say things like the pedals are too far to the left and that the seats are awful! I find my Cougar just fine. Whatever the setup, you soon get used to it. I even had an X-Trail with the centre speedo, but I never got a ticket! Anyway, the Cougar is the original cruiser in my view. She purrs along the freeways and pulls really well from low revs (when the wife drives it without changing down!). As for spacing between the pedals, again not a problem that I've noticed. I guess I'm just a real fan and enjoy driving the Cougar when I'm not taking my life in my hands in my Explorer (yep, got one of those too! But that's another story)
I reckon the Cougar is a great little car and I'm sure you would very soon get used to whatever little quirks it presents. All the best.
Cheers
Greg
Cougar1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #23
thearrow

The answer to this problem is Stainless Steel brake hoses had them fitted recently and they make a world of difference. Now have much firmer braking.

Good to own but "High Maintenance"

2000 Model Eibach Cougar (Auto) - Now dead & buried
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #24
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Dave,

I had similar thoughts. A few years back I had some Goodridge hoses installed on the fronts but made little to no difference in my brake feel. The hoses wouldn't fit the rear (I suspect these will fit the 99-00 SW Cougars just fine) so maybe that would have added to the better brake feel?

Either that, or I'm just so used to how the Cougar brakes that I haven't noticed?

Dan
Old 08-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #25
baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thearrow
The answer to this problem is Stainless Steel brake hoses had them fitted recently and they make a world of difference. Now have much firmer braking.
Did you have them fitted to front and back or just front? also where did you get them from and how much?
Baz
Old 08-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #26
thearrow

I had front & rears fitted and got them from here:

http://www.ctamotorsports.com/

Price will vary according to the exchange rate but I paid U$176.00 including shipping.

Good to own but "High Maintenance"

2000 Model Eibach Cougar (Auto) - Now dead & buried
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #27
dkd
Starter Motor

Default cougar door actuators

for ur cougar parts try pontiworld in wollongong MUCHcheaper than ford
while im here have 99 cougar out of rego need to find engine number on block anyone help with the location?
dkd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #28
REDDYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkd
for ur cougar parts try pontiworld in wollongong MUCHcheaper than ford
while im here have 99 cougar out of rego need to find engine number on block anyone help with the location?

Welcome to the forum mate. This is a tricky one, to find the engine number. Owner's manual says, "The engine number is located (seen in the direction of travel) at the front on the right-hand side on the end cover and at the rear on the left-hand side of the engine block". However, none of these can be accessed easily. You would need flexible light and dentist mirror to see them. Anyway, why are you worried about the engine number? not your problem at all. Who ever will inspect your car its their problem. If they cant find it well their bad luck. When I took my car for inspection (paid some $40 for inspection to VICROADS) the inspecter said she couldn't find it. I said why did I paid for inspection? what for? I had the roadworthy certificate so with not much choice she gave a tick. cheers mate.

Just saw sticky post from russ. The one on the side cover is not complete engine number, it only matches last 6 digits. And if you take off the black engine cover which says 2.5L Duratec bla bla bal on it, you should be able to find the second one on the block.

Yogi

Last edited by REDDYZ; 06-03-2011 at 06:29 PM.