Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-01-2022, 09:38 PM   #31
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Lego

I admire your work DJM, pretty speccy.
Lots of hours in that.
Unfortunately I get enough grief putting time into fixing my XC, if I started building Lego she'd have a coronary.
But when we go into lockdown I reckon it would be a good way to pass time.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2022, 09:50 PM   #32
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
I admire your work DJM, pretty speccy.
Lots of hours in that.
Unfortunately I get enough grief putting time into fixing my XC, if I started building Lego she'd have a coronary.
But when we go into lockdown I reckon it would be a good way to pass time.
Cheers mate.
Missus is pretty supportive here. (i dont have an XC though, but i do have a couple other pricey hobbies)
I only randomly got into it nearly 2 years ago and yeah its evolved into what it is.
I find it a good hobby to just switch off and pass good amounts of time.
I also like to sit an admire it long after it was built, kinda like sitting looking at a freshly washed car, which i also do
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2022, 10:33 PM   #33
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
I wouldn't mind giving the Mustang kit a go.

Time lapse speed build;

I've done that Mustang and I later installed the light kit. I'll post a pic when I can.

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2022, 10:48 PM   #34
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

I made this one a couple of years ago. Loved making it. It now sits on a mates desk at a Porsche dealership in Sydney.
Giant Cranium is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2022, 11:08 PM   #35
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
I made this one a couple of years ago. Loved making it. It now sits on a mates desk at a Porsche dealership in Sydney.
Whew....Lego is amazing . Your Porsche looks incredible..Well done . A good mate was surprised by his missus for Christmas with the Millenium Falcon model . It's very substantial let's just say .

I'm drooling over the Lego Technic D11 Caterpillar dozer (around $450) but it'll be resisted just now..Got some boring bills upcoming that gets in the way of fun stuff like that .. One day though.....
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2022, 11:12 PM   #36
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Whew....Lego is amazing . Your Porsche looks incredible..Well done . A good mate was surprised by his missus for Christmas with the Millenium Falcon model . It's very substantial let's just say .

I'm drooling over the Lego Technic D11 Caterpillar dozer (around $450) but it'll be resisted just now..Got some boring bills upcoming that gets in the way of fun stuff like that .. One day though.....
Geez, where can you get it that cheap? RRP is $750
Old 06-01-2022, 11:29 PM   #37
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post

About half of my collediton. Mostly Star Wars.
Nice. Similar to me, I've got a decent Star Wars collection, only difference is they're all in the boxes, not built. I've got the Death Star you have, Death Star 2 (I see one on eBay asking $8k at the moment!), original UCS Millenium Falcon, snowspeeder, AT-AT, Imperial Space Shuttle, Super Destroyer, R2D2, Red 5, Slave I, few UCS Tie Fighters, etc.

Then come the non SW sets, including Simpsons House, Kwik-E-Mart, Taj Mahal, Disney Castle, Ferris Wheel, Porsche GT3RS, Opera House, Big Ben, Tower Bridge, etc.

Needless to say they take up a huge amount of room and not sure I'll ever get around to building them. I'm pondering whether or not I sell the lot actually and move on.
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-01-2022, 11:31 PM   #38
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Geez, where can you get it that cheap? RRP is $750
Could be in fact ... I watched a couple of overseas reviews on it that mentioned $450 rrp ..guessing in USD..

This is one of them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrBn7Eu03Hk

You're right , in Australia it'd be a lot more no doubt courtesy of AUD and GST I guess...

My HO Scale model railway is my main thing and also a bity of radio control these days but I do drool over the Lego Technic range and would like to have a go one day .. Regular mundane but necessary life expenses (bills) also of course but geez this'd be fun . Paul's (my friend) Millenium Falcon has over 7000 pieces ...The book weighs a ton !!!!
Old 06-01-2022, 11:36 PM   #39
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Lego eh...

Here is the bride's contribution...

It does seem familiar...

Old 06-01-2022, 11:54 PM   #40
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Is that all Lego?.....

Or you buy a kit to put together, or do you buy loose and use drawings to construct?
They are all LEGO except 1 or 2 items that you can not really see.

I buy the set then build them. So I estimate to have between 200 to 250 sets. Lost count.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2022, 11:57 PM   #41
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
Nice. Similar to me, I've got a decent Star Wars collection, only difference is they're all in the boxes, not built. I've got the Death Star you have, Death Star 2 (I see one on eBay asking $8k at the moment!), original UCS Millenium Falcon, snowspeeder, AT-AT, Imperial Space Shuttle, Super Destroyer, R2D2, Red 5, Slave I, few UCS Tie Fighters, etc.

Then come the non SW sets, including Simpsons House, Kwik-E-Mart, Taj Mahal, Disney Castle, Ferris Wheel, Porsche GT3RS, Opera House, Big Ben, Tower Bridge, etc.

Needless to say they take up a huge amount of room and not sure I'll ever get around to building them. I'm pondering whether or not I sell the lot actually and move on.
Half of mine are in boxes as we are moving next 12 months and no point building any more until the move.

I have around 95% of Star Wars sets released since 2015 including all the UCS. Only 2 recent UCS sets I don’t have is the new AT AT and the Republic Gunship, but will be getting them next couple of months. Most of the stuff I don’t have are the micro fighters and the junior sets.

Also have the Simpson house and qwiki mart, heap of City, technic, Harry Potter Castle and a few other random sets here and there.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:02 AM   #42
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

OK, I've lost all patience.

If a mod posts something that has to do with moderating a thread it is NOT up for discussion within the thread. If you want to argue it then PM the mod, Russ or me and we will make a ruling. Let's be clear though, you may not like our decision.

The next person that argues with a mod in a thread will be getting a ban.

Yep, I have had enough - you know who you are.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2022, 08:01 AM   #43
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Half of mine are in boxes as we are moving next 12 months and no point building any more until the move.

I have around 95% of Star Wars sets released since 2015 including all the UCS. Only 2 recent UCS sets I don’t have is the new AT AT and the Republic Gunship, but will be getting them next couple of months. Most of the stuff I don’t have are the micro fighters and the junior sets.

Also have the Simpson house and qwiki mart, heap of City, technic, Harry Potter Castle and a few other random sets here and there.
That's a lot of Lego, so do you build or keep? As in investment?
Been looking for racebikes yesterday online, no bikes but some nice bits of kit.
I think it's more than just technical, but would like to see a Ducati or R1 Yamaha, do they exist?
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2022, 09:22 AM   #44
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Been looking for racebikes yesterday online, no bikes but some nice bits of kit.
I think it's more than just technical, but would like to see a Ducati or R1 Yamaha, do they exist?
There is a Ducati Panigale V4 R available, Chilly.

https://bttw.com.au/Lego-Technic-Duc...ale-V4-R-42107

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2022, 09:55 AM   #45
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post

Thank you, I will have another look, so what ages would this suit?
Am thinking of a 12 year old with autism, but he's pretty handy with his computer, in fact he makes videos and uploads to Tik-Tok and I thought the lego may pique his interest

It's his birthday soon, his carer/granny was taken to hospital again yesterday, he's staying with my pretty neighbour, he's a good kid and a bike made from lego may be good for him.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:58 AM   #46
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Thank you, I will have another look, so what ages would this suit?
Am thinking of a 12 year old with autism, but he's pretty handy with his computer, in fact he makes videos and uploads to Tik-Tok and I thought the lego may pique his interest

It's his birthday soon, his carer/granny was taken to hospital again yesterday, he's staying with my pretty neighbour, he's a good kid and a bike made from lego may be good for him.
The description says 'Ages: 10+', but please note I have no experience with this kit or 12 year olds with autism.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2022, 10:02 AM   #47
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

A few of mine are Remote Controlled and with lights, as Lego don't make light kits (yet) these have to be bought separately.

This one is RC via bluetooth and a Lego app on your phone with the lights added later

Old 07-01-2022, 10:13 AM   #48
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Down at our local Cranks and Tinkerers Museum in the old railway station Ian the curator has Australia's own version of Lego . It goes back a fair way . It was called Bild A Brix I think .He has several boxes of it that a patron kindly donated a few years ago. Lego is used extensively at our school and the Science Department has quite a bit of the Technic type they use a lot .
I'm in awe of how much the kids use it in fact . Another similar component building/engineering format than never quite got as popular as Lego is Meccano .
Meccano was and probably still is part of the Hornby Model Trains and Airfix group of companies . You ought to see the fantastic structures and machines that Meccano is capable of , just like Lego..

Kids and big kids need Lego and any similar creative format I reckon because without great stuff like that where do our future engineers get their inspiration eh.. Besides....It's bloody fun and shows like Lego Masters are ingenious and imaginitive...
3 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2022, 10:23 AM   #49
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
A few of mine are Remote Controlled and with lights, as Lego don't make light kits (yet) these have to be bought separately.

This one is RC via bluetooth and a Lego app on your phone with the lights added later

Oh yeah.Beautiful piece of kit ..I watched a review on this model last week actually .. How long did it take you to assemble ? Maybe the dozer will be done later on !!!!!!!..
2 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2022, 11:01 AM   #50
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Lego is the premium education/construction system in the world of course and that goes without saying but to some of us my age I recall fondly Meccano .

From when I was about 10 years old , about half a century ago , I got a green box for Christmas at that age but didn't really appreciate it as I should have at the time. About 8-9 years ago I bought the new version and added a more extensive set not too long after.

I still own those two boxes of it fully intact that I have stored away at present . The beaut thing is that like Lego many of the old components still work with the newer stuff and it's also possible to motorise many models .

Here's an exhibition from New Zealand if anyone who hasn't seen Meccano before but the amazing Lego systems have become the industry leader and rightly so .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMlj__5NxB0&t=5s .

Cheers

Last edited by roddy1960; 07-01-2022 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:14 PM   #51
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

I loved Lego when I was a kid, had a huge collection that I stupidly sold for $50.

Anyway, I rediscovered it about a year later and have found it very therapeutic.

This is my latest build, getting hard to find these days..

Old 07-01-2022, 02:49 PM   #52
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Oh yeah.Beautiful piece of kit ..I watched a review on this model last week actually .. How long did it take you to assemble ? Maybe the dozer will be done later on !!!!!!!..
The Model took a couple of weeks just doing a bit each night, the lights took quite a few hours as a lot of the model had to be dismantled to fit the lights and wiring.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:19 PM   #53
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:

Or if you want a bit more hardcore, the BMW bike is another option.

https://www.lego.com/en-au/product/bmw-m-1000-rr-42130
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2022, 10:36 PM   #54
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lego has come a long way since I last remember ****ing around with it (early to mid 90s at latest). I have to go and have a look at the Lego certified store in Civic sometime though I worry it could become expensive
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2022, 12:09 AM   #55
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
The description says 'Ages: 10+', but please note I have no experience with this kit or 12 year olds with autism.
Found em online, sell the Ducati Monster too, a bit cheaper, may just order online, got a few weeks until his birthday
Old 08-01-2022, 03:41 AM   #56
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I build my sets, so not really investing but if I sold I would probably still be way out in front.

You can see sets at LEGO https://www.lego.com/en-au/themes/technic

Link above is for technics, couple of bikes. If you look around can probably get a bit cheaper than LEGO directly.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:12 AM   #57
slowsnake
Banned

I sometimes watch a show on TV called Pawn Stars, Yank stuff, but I know they American market is big for Starwars stuff including Lego, apparently in box unopened is big dollars, but used but still have the box it arrived in just as valuable, your hobby may inadvertently make you rich one day!..lol..
Old 08-01-2022, 08:23 AM   #58
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
I build my sets, so not really investing but if I sold I would probably still be way out in front.

Link above is for technics, couple of bikes. If you look around can probably get a bit cheaper than LEGO directly.
Geez, just skipped through 120 pages of catalogue and an gobsmacked, I just dident realise the extent or power of marketing, I was expecting a bit of kids stuff and less adult?
But not so, pity they don't do real world war tanks and armoured cavalry units, aimed at older collectors, or WW2 fighters and Bomber Command, I reckon it will sell to the oldies!...
Old 08-01-2022, 08:45 AM   #59
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Lego has come a long way since I last remember ****ing around with it (early to mid 90s at latest). I have to go and have a look at the Lego certified store in Civic sometime though I worry it could become expensive
I made that fatal mistake ive not been to a lego store... yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled

Im the same, im not interested in hordering unbuilt kits. Wheres the fun in that? But its definitely worth more than i paid.

Liebherr looks awesome with lights fitted Gaso
- Antz Turboside Intake
3 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2022, 08:51 AM   #60
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Geez, just skipped through 120 pages of catalogue and an gobsmacked, I just dident realise the extent or power of marketing, I was expecting a bit of kids stuff and less adult?
But not so, pity they don't do real world war tanks and armoured cavalry units, aimed at older collectors, or WW2 fighters and Bomber Command, I reckon it will sell to the oldies!...
Lego has a strict policy of no war machines.

There was a kit released last year.

Some Karens got the sads as a variant was used in wars at some time so they discontinued the kit, although the kit portrayed a search and rescue kit.
It had an RRP of 250$ Now they are being sold up and over 1k
- Antz Turboside Intake
5 users like this post: