Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-08-2007, 09:11 PM   #31
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
We can't compete with 3rd world nations unless we become a 3rd world nation. We can pay our workers less so we can become 'competitive' but our workforce often is far more skilled than overseas counterparts and that commands a premium. Why should we compete with people being paid $50 a week when their houses cost $2000 or a few goats. Our cost of living is far greater and the workers need to be able to feed their children without having 2 jobs like many low working class Americans.
I do understand what you're saying, so how do we stop our industry going off shore? I quoted on supplying kitchen components for a large kitchen manufacturer and i couldnt even buy the board for the price they can import finished components of the same quality, how do you stop or compete with that? I know for sure if my manufacturing costs keep going up i'll loose market share OS...

Old 23-08-2007, 09:12 PM   #32
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They are striking because the company is going to declare bankruptcy and therefore owes them nothing. the company is then going to move and start doing the same thing in a different location. I think you need to re read the press release.
That is illegal... they can't do that by law.
The press release hints at it, but doesnt say that's what WILL happen, but i bet it won't be allowed to happen in that form, they certainly wont/cant have common directors involved in both entities.

Old 23-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #33
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Ok, so effectively they'll get what they wanted? so why the strike?
By the way, redundancy payments havent been outlawed, they're just not compulsary under some conditions.
The company does not guarantee entitlements. The company is effectively shutting down a place, and not telling their workers. If they were getting what was theirs they would not be on strike.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 09:14 PM   #34
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thets why people are striking at this very moment.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #35
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is illegal but is widespread. The article states exactly what the company is trying to do. Its the same was that Tom walkingshaw sold Mark Skaife HRT. Smoke mirrors and money magically dissappears and a company is no more. Doesn't stop someone getting private 'investors' and starting a new one.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #36
Super Snake

Quote:
I think that they did do this a few years ago. They owed heaps of money.
Nobody would give them credit.
This was before John Howards Industrial laws.
Super Snake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 09:17 PM   #37
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
Thets why people are striking at this very moment.
The laws are very strict in regards to this, im sure if there is a hint of this happening ACCC and ASIC will be all over it.

Old 23-08-2007, 09:20 PM   #38
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I do understand what you're saying, so how do we stop our industry going off shore? I quoted on supplying kitchen components for a large kitchen manufacturer and i couldnt even buy the board for the price they can import finished components of the same quality, how do you stop or compete with that? I know for sure if my manufacturing costs keep going up i'll loose market share OS...
We have a skilled workforce and I'm not saying wages should continue their steady increase upward but the cost of living continues to rise and so must pay or we starve. To separate yourself from imports you must produce a product of better quality that the opposition. Not everyone likes buying crap and personally if I have the option of a better built or more innovative aussie product I will pay more than an import that i know will have dubious quality.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 09:24 PM   #39
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is illegal but is widespread. The article states exactly what the company is trying to do. Its the same was that Tom walkingshaw sold Mark Skaife HRT. Smoke mirrors and money magically dissappears and a company is no more. Doesn't stop someone getting private 'investors' and starting a new one.
Skaife and Walky are STILL in hot water though!!! LOL
We havent heard or seen the last of that debarcle.

As a Director If you Bankrupt your company you potentially face jail if you deliberatly trade while insolvent: i.e: not being able to meet employee entitlements or pay the tax dept, these are BIG NO NO's and on this kind of scale will now under the new laws normally get you time inside! I can't see the directors of Ventura wanting to do time by shirking their responsibilities..

Old 23-08-2007, 09:44 PM   #40
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
I do understand what you're saying, so how do we stop our industry going off shore?
Easy the same as it was done for decades,tarrifs.
And incentives for local companies,hell I would even go so far as to outlaw local companies manufacturing offshore,was good for our fathers and grandfathers.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 09:46 PM   #41
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Easy the same as it was done for decades,tarrifs.
The problem is tarrifs "can" create a false sense of security and lazy work force, which in turn can cause massive inflation... There is no easy solution, the aussie dollar is just too high.

Old 23-08-2007, 09:48 PM   #42
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
The problem is tarrifs "can" create a lazy work force and massive inflation though... There is no easy solution, the aussie dollar is just too high.
Workers will always be lazy in managements eyes,as for me,I dont care about that,managing the dollar and creating full employment would cure alot of the social ills we have nowdays,it was a better way.
Old 23-08-2007, 09:54 PM   #43
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Workers will always be lazy in managements eyes,as for me,I dont care about that,managing the dollar and creating full employment would cure alot of the social ills we have nowdays,it was a better way.
Mate, i can tell you one thing, employment agencies are SCREAMING for candidates, there is a massive people and skill shortage at the moment, unemployment is very low, in fact one agency i spoke with yesterday said they were loosing their own recruitment staff to take up jobs with their own clients!!!

Old 23-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #44
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
Mate, i can tell you one thing, employment agencies are SCREAMING for candidates, there is a massive people and skill shortage at the moment, unemployment is very low, in fact one agency i spoke with yesterday said they were loosing their own recruitment staff to take up jobs with their own clients!!!
They must'nt be paying much then,quite simply really,if you are screaming for workers you offer more money to get them.
Old 23-08-2007, 10:05 PM   #45
stupa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
Noone strikes without a good reason.
My muffin was cold
stupa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 10:05 PM   #46
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They must'nt be paying much then,quite simply really,if you are screaming for workers you offer more money to get them.
The issue is there are more job vacancies then people to fill them!!

Old 23-08-2007, 10:22 PM   #47
steamin63
old skool

i'm sorry 4vman but you don't have a clue about what you are talking about. i was a union site deligate for a food manufacturig plant for 7 years and i can tell you you comments are both incorrect and insulting. australian workers are not spineless idiots that do what ever the union tells them, they are the union. i worked for an australian company that treated its staff with respect, gave us a safe and healthy workplace and and produced product that was world class which we and the owner were very proud of. for 15 years there was not one instance of industrial action. any problems were solved with a friendly chat between those involved and a resolution was found for the company or the worker. we were paid well, the company earned a fortune and everyone was very happy.

that company was bought by an american multi national foodstuffs producer and within 6 months two thirds of the workers and managers had been wrongfully sacked and replaced with non australian labour hire - islanders, asians and anyone else who would work for less than the minimum wage. productivity went down, accidents [some very serious] became common place and the quality of our product went out the window along with some of our best customers. the first to be sacked were the managers[12], then the union delegates[6] and last of all the union members [230+] and we could do stuff all about it because of the legislation put in place by the howard government. within 2 and a half years the factory was closed and the scabs were locked out without their entitlements.

why. because this american company never intended to stay in the market they just wanted to learn how to make our product and get their hands on the equipment they needed.that equipment now resides in mexico. i truly wish i could name names but i can't because i and a number of my workmates are currently trying to get some of our entitlements back through the courts [with the help of OUR union].

if you want to do a bit of union bashing go and join the young liberals. but be carefull, the way things are going you or someone in your family may need to join a union just to protect what is rightfully yours. fair pay, fair condition and fair treatment.

cheers.
steamin63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 10:34 PM   #48
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamin63
. i was a union site deligate .
Ive read enough.. pretty much explains your whole position doesnt it..

Old 23-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #49
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamin63
i'm sorry 4vman but you don't have a clue about what you are talking about. i was a union site deligate for a food manufacturig plant for 7 years and i can tell you you comments are both incorrect and insulting. australian workers are not spineless idiots that do what ever the union tells them, they are the union. i worked for an australian company that treated its staff with respect, gave us a safe and healthy workplace and and produced product that was world class which we and the owner were very proud of. for 15 years there was not one instance of industrial action. any problems were solved with a friendly chat between those involved and a resolution was found for the company or the worker. we were paid well, the company earned a fortune and everyone was very happy.

that company was bought by an american multi national foodstuffs producer and within 6 months two thirds of the workers and managers had been wrongfully sacked and replaced with non australian labour hire - islanders, asians and anyone else who would work for less than the minimum wage. productivity went down, accidents [some very serious] became common place and the quality of our product went out the window along with some of our best customers. the first to be sacked were the managers[12], then the union delegates[6] and last of all the union members [230+] and we could do stuff all about it because of the legislation put in place by the howard government. within 2 and a half years the factory was closed and the scabs were locked out without their entitlements.

why. because this american company never intended to stay in the market they just wanted to learn how to make our product and get their hands on the equipment they needed.that equipment now resides in mexico. i truly wish i could name names but i can't because i and a number of my workmates are currently trying to get some of our entitlements back through the courts [with the help of OUR union].

if you want to do a bit of union bashing go and join the young liberals. but be carefull, the way things are going you or someone in your family may need to join a union just to protect what is rightfully yours. fair pay, fair condition and fair treatment.

cheers.
Spot on.

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #50
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

As a ex Coghlan Russell employee this is just a little bit of history repeating. With a totally different twist. Venture has the money to pay workers entitlements, as did the Director of Coghlan Russell, But he chose to hide it.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #51
steamin63
old skool

Quote:
very small minded dont you think. i was asked to be a delegate by my manager to represent our section in eba negotiations, until then i had never even been in a union. you wouldn't be a small business owner would you?.
steamin63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #52
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
LOL.

I still do not understand the need for a unions, workers are hard enough to get as it is, if your not happy with your current employer, walk away and find a new one, if enough people walk out, companies will soon realise that they need to do something with regard to how they reward and treat their employees.

From a business owners point of view I think its alot harder to find workers today then it is for workers to find jobs, therefore any employer with half a brain will actually reward its employees in a way in which they are happy and content to stay working for them.

The manufacturing industry is over in Australia, its had it time and cannot compete with 3rd world manufacturing. If you look at Holden for example 60% of its parts are manufactured offshore, this allows them to produce cars at a cheaper cost, while manufacturers here that supply Ford struggle to supply parts at prices that match overseas suppliers to keep the business.

Its funny how Ford seems to be the most affected by suppliers falling over all the time in Aus, Fords non - global business strategy will kill it eventually... Not having a decent export program is a joke, we have world class cars that are killed by lack of LHD development, it makes little sense to me why the Falcon and Territory couldnt be exported across the world, just like the Camry and Commdore are.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 10:49 PM   #53
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
And I suppose as a business owner your point of view is unbiased?
Old 23-08-2007, 11:04 PM   #54
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
LOL.

I still do not understand the need for a unions, workers are hard enough to get as it is, if your not happy with your current employer, walk away and find a new one, if enough people walk out, companies will soon realise that they need to do something with regard to how they reward and treat their employees.

From a business owners point of view I think its alot harder to find workers today then it is for workers to find jobs, therefore any employer with half a brain will actually reward its employees in a way in which they are happy and content to stay working for them.

The manufacturing industry is over in Australia, its had it time and cannot compete with 3rd world manufacturing. If you look at Holden for example 60% of its parts are manufactured offshore, this allows them to produce cars at a cheaper cost, while manufacturers here that supply Ford struggle to supply parts at prices that match overseas suppliers to keep the business.

Its funny how Ford seems to be the most affected by suppliers falling over all the time in Aus, Fords non - global business strategy will kill it eventually... Not having a decent export program is a joke, we have world class cars that are killed by lack of LHD development, it makes little sense to me why the Falcon and Territory couldnt be exported across the world, just like the Camry and Commdore are.
Very well said.

Also yes, the best way to send a message to a bad employer is leave and find another job...

Old 23-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #55
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloxbgt
And I suppose as a business owner your point of view is unbiased?
Ive just sold off my business (what was left of it) because it can no longer survive in the current climate against imports... Wages are out of control, we've reduced the working week to 38hrs, the aussie dollar is over 82c US, something had to give, unfortunatly this is the tip of the iceberg for Australian manufacturing...

Old 23-08-2007, 11:10 PM   #56
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Ive just sold off my business (what was left of it) because it can no longer survive in the current climate against imports... Wages are out of control, we've reduced the working week to 38hrs, the aussie dollar is over 82c US, something had to give, unfortunatly this is the tip of the iceberg for Australian manufacturing...
Yes we are a Resources nation now, not a manufacturing one, but one day that will end to, and manufacturing might just come back, who knows.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 11:24 PM   #57
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if venture is opening up elsewere and and shafting there workers good on the unions for sticking up for them, this country owes unions a lot imo, and spiraling wages is not the only problem its also spiraling taxes which we have in abundance, and the reason for no skilled labour should be blamed on the current government its their policies and lack of foresight that have caused these problems, but its always easier to blame unions and the little people.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 12:04 AM   #58
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
I've been reading your point of view here, shaking my head, but this is fair comment.

The one thing that keeps me guessing in the never ending war with wages, costs, etc; is that if wages don't rise to cover the cost of living, then how do businesses expect people to buy the goods and services they offer?

This is aplicable to businesses of any size, not just the small ones.

The only winners I see out of all this are the big boys.
Something has to give, and I don't think it is very far away.

Regarding the working week, I don't think you'll find too many people work that as a given any more. They have no choice but to work extra hours to keep the money coming in.

I'll admit that I am an exception to this, but we do have times where we will do 12-14 hours days for at least 6 days straight.

I'd rather spend the least amount of time at work as possible, life's too short to work yourself into an early grave!

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 12:14 AM   #59
Scott

Wake me up if this turns into an anti-union thread..... I could do with a good vent.

Unfortunately with the dollar being so strong our manufacturers & exporters are struggling (spare a thought for NZ manufacturers who are right up the creek atm). Importers are having a field day which makes it tough all round. Where are the days of 48c & 5% when you need them?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 09:17 AM   #60
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Take a close look at what's happening to large scale manufacturing in Australia, give it 5 years and there wont be any large scale manufacturing here, the less competitive we become because of spiraling wages, strikes, productivity issues etc the quicker these business's will close..
I know its hard to accept but this kind of Industrial action will just quicken the process, and force companies to look OS....
Couldn't agree more. The problem with this country is we are pricing ourselves out of work. Too many people want to be paid more and more but aren't willing to put in the hours. Too many want everything for nothing.

Sure the cost of living goes up, but then the more people are paid the more it goes up to cover the costs (other factors also contribute to this) of these wage increases. Unions I am sorry are out of touch with industry and stir more trouble for employees than they do good. Adding tariffs will do nothing to curb this issue, we will be provided with further shoddy workmanship on products (god can you imagine the falcon being produced with mass protection tarrifs *shudder*). Honestly the way things are going I would rather buy the falcon if it was made overseas, it can't be any worse than here.

It is time to wakeup and rid of the century old industry outlook and realise we are deep in globalisation, we either try and compete or just sit back and do nothing. If we keep up with the current philosophy sure people will get their pay rise but how long will they have a job??
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post