Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #31
BTTB
Free XD

Well I was out and about running errands and the like today.

I had my alarm set so as to give myself enough time to pull over if needed..
As it happens I was in the local shopping center picking up a set of dress up shoes for my young daughter in Toys ' R ' Us

my alarm beeped its warning... then to my surprise a young woman working in the shop asked via the PA if everyone would observe "a minutes silence" and that they wouldn't be serving customers for that minute...

then half a minute later... I could hear the PA from the main shopping center... advising they would be observing "a minutes silence"

I was pleasantly surprised...

Lest We Forget.
BTTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #32
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lest we Forget
Old 11-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #33
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Today at 11.00 am, I stood for a minutes silence where I work and also I remembered that today is the 4th anniversary of the death of my Mum, you will never be forgotten love.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 11:22 PM   #34
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Its not a public holiday today - how would the ignorant masses remember??
Funny isn't it? The queen's birthday is deemed important enough to be a public holiday but the remembrance of the countless many that gave the rest of theirs isn't.

Anyway a day of complaining this is not, peace and respect to all those who gave their lives in service of their country and for the rest of us.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #35
Loosecannon

My Great grandfather was at the landing at Gallipoli in WW1, and my Grandfather was a desert rat in WW2, both came back,

I am extremely proud and grateful of ALL service men and women who fort to allow us all to live in a country such as Australia, it can easily be taken for granted

Lest we forget
Loosecannon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #36
bungarra

I am proud to stop for a minute and think of the sacrifices that have been made and continue to be made by members of Australia's military.
Unfortunately today I had to break it to ask some "new" Australians to be respectful. They made a few comments about our troops in Afghanistan and were politely moved on by security as the other Aussies standing in the same area at the end of the silence started to make a few comments to them, funny thing is, they said the guy making the most noise about them was a racist Aussie, he laughed at them and said "funny, I'm from Vietnam!"
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 11:38 PM   #37
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

My work has always observed a minutes silence, today we even had the Last Post played on bagpipes. It was very moving.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.

Lest We Forget.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2010, 11:51 PM   #38
Trek
Blue blooded

Lest we forget.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2010, 01:07 AM   #39
fmc351
let it burn

Lest we forget.

My son and his cadet wing had flag and memorial duties at the RSL today so I was well aware. I dont like the thought of two things together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor82
Today is also the 130th anniversary of the hanging of Ned Kelly in the old Melbourne Goal.
And the anniversary of the sacking of Gough Whitlam.

Thats three, we have an official 11/11 conspiracy.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2010, 02:11 AM   #40
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Seems the bigger ANZAC day has gotten, the quieter Armistice / Remembrance day has become.
Amen.

TBH though, I wonder why we have two days marking WWI, and nothing specifically for WWII - a war in which we actually were defending our land rather than fighting someone else's war? That definitely deserves some sort of memorial in its own right.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #41
Binnie
EB11 falcon GLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
Last year people still called up babbling on about their I.T. problems, no one seemed to give two hoots... pathetic really, especially considering it was such a devastating war.
I agree, no one stoped at work, so i thought id do it on my own, only to be inturupted by a phone call...

it's not cool.

FORDS IN THE PARK

FTF Car Club of NSW
Binnie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #42
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

As a Vietnam Veteran I'd just like to thank all you guys for your comments and respect for Remembrance Day.

We've come a long way since the mainstream media saw those who respected the sacrifice of our citizens in war as war mongerers; and Vietnam Veterans in particular who were vilified for fighting in Vietnam even though nearly half were conscripts. It's been a while since I have heard Vietnam Veterans referred to as 'baby killers'.

This change has not been brought about by our education system, which if anything is now teaching less about war. It has not been brought about by politicians who never went to war, apart from Kelly. No it has been brought about by the younger generation who discovered for them selves the sacrifices of our nation's young men and women.

It is the younger generation who are attending dawn services and Anzac Day commemoration in increasing numbers; and it is the younger generation who are attending Anzac Day at Gallipoli in record numbers.

As an old fart it pleases me greatly.

Thank you

Cav
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #43
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav
As a Vietnam Veteran I'd just like to thank all you guys for your comments and respect for Remembrance Day.

We've come a long way since the mainstream media saw those who respected the sacrifice of our citizens in war as war mongerers; and Vietnam Veterans in particular who were vilified for fighting in Vietnam even though nearly half were conscripts. It's been a while since I have heard Vietnam Veterans referred to as 'baby killers'.

This change has not been brought about by our education system, which if anything is now teaching less about war. It has not been brought about by politicians who never went to war, apart from Kelly. No it has been brought about by the younger generation who discovered for them selves the sacrifices of our nation's young men and women.

It is the younger generation who are attending dawn services and Anzac Day commemoration in increasing numbers; and it is the younger generation who are attending Anzac Day at Gallipoli in record numbers.

As an old fart it pleases me greatly.

Thank you

Cav
Cav, when people have an issue with the events or reasons for a particular war, they should level them at the decision makers not the man or woman who answers their country's call, whether voluntarily, or conscripted. They dont have to agree with the war to appreciate the risks and ultimate sacrifice of the individuals and the families who served. The two things are dinstinctly separate.

Cheers mate, and thankyou.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #44
mick10010

Didn't get to participate in the base service this year but we observed our own minutes silence during our game of basketball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav
Always nice to hear from one of the Vets like you Cav. Hearing from you blokes makes me proud to serve in the RAAF.
mick10010 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post