Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-08-2005, 09:14 PM   #1
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Hoons in Vic - Crackdown

Just saw on the news about the crack down on the hoons in Vic. I am mechanically mindless, so when they showed the footage, they had an inspector going over the car and he said that the pipe or the intercooler has to go. Can't have both. The blow off valve has to go as well. Anyway, the pipe he was reffering to was the one from the intercooler to turbo. If you have a turbo, don't you need all that piping and intercoolers? Then that inspector sounded a little silly saying he can't have both?

Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2005, 10:09 PM   #2
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

yes, the pining does go from the turbo to the intercooler to the throttle body. atmosphere venting BOV are illegal, but i have no idea what the copper is talking about the pipes and intercooler, sounds like he has no idea "pipe or intercooler has to go" doesnt make any sense
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2005, 10:35 PM   #3
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Just saw on the news about the crack down on the hoons in Vic. I am mechanically mindless, so when they showed the footage, they had an inspector going over the car and he said that the pipe or the intercooler has to go. Can't have both. The blow off valve has to go as well. Anyway, the pipe he was reffering to was the one from the intercooler to turbo. If you have a turbo, don't you need all that piping and intercoolers? Then that inspector sounded a little silly saying he can't have both?
Do you also know that by right's it should also have an engineer's report for the blow of valve. I no what your going to say but everyone runs them and they are all illegal unless they to have an engineer's report. Just like if you put a pod filter on you car it also need's to guess what have an engineers report as well. And before you think i dont know what i am on about guess what i do for a liveing, thats right i work part time at vic-roads and my job is to tell all of these poor basterds that no sorry you carn't have this or that mod because it need's to be that's right engineered.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2005, 10:44 PM   #4
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH7472
Do you also know that by right's it should also have an engineer's report for the blow of valve. I no what your going to say but everyone runs them and they are all illegal unless they to have an engineer's report. Just like if you put a pod filter on you car it also need's to guess what have an engineers report as well. And before you think i dont know what i am on about guess what i do for a liveing, thats right i work part time at vic-roads and my job is to tell all of these poor basterds that no sorry you carn't have this or that mod because it need's to be that's right engineered.
Its actually legal to have one intake modification so its either a intercooler upgrade OR a pod but not both.

Can you tell us more about BOV legality please? Obviously atmospheric venting is illegal but is it illegal to have an aftermarket BOV fitted that plumbs back?

If not, do you know why?

I understand the rules and do my best to work with/around them.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2005, 11:09 PM   #5
73gscoupe

i thought as long as your vehicle was still complying with ADR's applicable at the date of manufacture, you were o.k?

I cant see how a pod filter or BOV would make the car non compliant, unless you consider that the change in engine is significant enough that the vehicle should undergo noise and emissions testing?
73gscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 12:18 AM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73gscoupe
i thought as long as your vehicle was still complying with ADR's applicable at the date of manufacture, you were o.k?

I cant see how a pod filter or BOV would make the car non compliant, unless you consider that the change in engine is significant enough that the vehicle should undergo noise and emissions testing?
If the pod is exposed (i.e no airbox) and factory config is altered that can be illegal in some states.
Old 21-08-2005, 02:32 AM   #7
buickman
buickman

A friend of mine is a police officer & imformed me if he thinks its illegal & defects the car. Its up to you prove it isn't by a engineers or roadworthy. They don't have the problem you do.They just write the ticket out.
buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 06:22 AM   #8
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

would twin throttle bodies be considered as an intake mod????? lol
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 12:19 PM   #9
shane3
FPV GT 0915

On of the Kiwi cop shows (Highway patrol? I think) a guy had his car lowered and the cops put an un-road worthy on it, so he had to get it engineered, the engineer said it was fine and that the car could be dropped 1 more inch and still be ok and road worthy, the female cop had no idea what she was on about just that it LOOKED to low.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 12:34 PM   #10
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
Can you tell us more about BOV legality please? Obviously atmospheric venting is illegal but is it illegal to have an aftermarket BOV fitted that plumbs back?

If not, do you know why?

I understand the rules and do my best to work with/around them.
all current factory turbo cars come with a BOV plumbed back, so simply replacing this part with a higher quality part would certainly be legal. problem is the cops are out there to defect you so they look for anything they can, and if they find this big blue thing haging off your intake the idiots automatically assume thats its a atmo venting one, so they will prob defect you anyway.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 01:14 PM   #11
TZENU
XY Driv3r

A m8 of mine had an aftermarket plumb back BOV (on a 180sx imported and rego'd straight away with no problems) and the cops still defected him... didnt really matter tho becuase he got a RWC instantaneously......
Old 21-08-2005, 01:26 PM   #12
lizardmech

Why can't they patrol areas that have problems with people doing stupid stuff. What the hell does an intercooler or pod filter have to do with road safety. I don't understand why traffic units are motivated to do stuff like this, surely they arnt told: don't worry about road safety programs today, we have to make some money defecting fairly new cars in good condition with pod filters.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 01:29 PM   #13
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane3
On of the Kiwi cop shows (Highway patrol? I think) a guy had his car lowered and the cops put an un-road worthy on it, so he had to get it engineered, the engineer said it was fine and that the car could be dropped 1 more inch and still be ok and road worthy, the female cop had no idea what she was on about just that it LOOKED to low.
Thats motorway patrol and i like that show. Really some cops should help themselves to a class for learning what mods are illegal and what arent
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 01:33 PM   #14
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Thats motorway patrol and i like that show. Really some cops should help themselves to a class for learning what mods are illegal and what arent
I have heard that any mod is techinically illegal unless you crash test a car with those mods, does anyone know if its true? They should make a different rego you can buy for modded cars, it would have to be more expensive so bracks gets his money. Its not like car emissions are a big problem for Australia, we still get most of our power from coal...
Old 21-08-2005, 01:34 PM   #15
f100_mad

The problem is that people mod cars, without looking into the work being done to that car. Everybody should research their ideas, to gain information to make the right changes in the right way, engineers are always happy to help in anyway possible, you just have to ask them, they will tell you what you can and cannot do to a car. In south australia, Smart people who know cars also can mod a car (illegaly) and then sell it to less car minded people who then get sprung. just do your home work first.
Old 21-08-2005, 01:45 PM   #16
lizardmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by f100_mad
The problem is that people mod cars, without looking into the work being done to that car. Everybody should research their ideas, to gain information to make the right changes in the right way, engineers are always happy to help in anyway possible, you just have to ask them, they will tell you what you can and cannot do to a car. In south australia, Smart people who know cars also can mod a car (illegaly) and then sell it to less car minded people who then get sprung. just do your home work first.
The problem is its nearly impossible to comply with the ADR rules, they could probably get you for not using the same specification oil as the manufacturer specified if they really wanted to, all they have to say is it "may" have effected emissions.
Old 21-08-2005, 07:04 PM   #17
TIKFD6
Number 5 is alive!

A mate of mine got defected the other week, and the cops told him that his BBM(EL XR6) was a Turbo. WTF?
My mate laughed at him, thats when he got the defect.

"Experimental Racer" #6
1994 Gunmetal XG XR6 1997-1999
[B][COLOR=Red] 1994 Le Mans Red ED

Back in a Ford XR. MA XR5 Mondeo

TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 07:11 PM   #18
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIKFD6
A mate of mine got defected the other week, and the cops told him that his BBM(EL XR6) was a Turbo. WTF?
My mate laughed at him, thats when he got the defect.
I read somewhere that a guy got pulled up by the police and he was asked to pop his bonnet which he did. The policeman says "What V8 is that" Not sure what happened next, but it was a 6. The policeman was convinced it was a V8.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 07:40 PM   #19
EXECJIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH7472
And before you think i dont know what i am on about guess what i do for a liveing, thats right i work part time at vic-roads and my job is to tell all of these poor basterds that no sorry you carn't have this or that mod because it need's to be that's right engineered.
What do Vic roads say about XC Falcons with "strokers" :monkes:
EXECJIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 07:54 PM   #20
TIKFD6
Number 5 is alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I read somewhere that a guy got pulled up by the police and he was asked to pop his bonnet which he did. The policeman says "What V8 is that" Not sure what happened next, but it was a 6. The policeman was convinced it was a V8.
Hahaha, Police should undergo at least a little training on what parts of a car are.

"Experimental Racer" #6

Old 21-08-2005, 07:57 PM   #21
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Yea well thats fine that they are "enforcing the law" by pulling over people wiht nice cars as opposed to dangerous drivers but it irks me that they dont even know the law themselves.

If police officers espeically from TMU division arent qualified to assess an automotive component (let alone the techical specifics and legalities relating to it) then why are they allowed to hand out defects for it?

It really wouldnt be a big problem if you could just take it past Vicroads without changing anything but they have a nasty habit of specifying MAJOR DEFECTS which means you have to go and get a bloody roadworthy for it.

Yes ive had it done to me for nothing other than a rear tail light globe that was out.
Another time was for having a tow bar on my car which apparently is illegal unless youre towing something.
Old 21-08-2005, 08:06 PM   #22
TIKFD6
Number 5 is alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
Another time was for having a tow bar on my car which apparently is illegal unless youre towing something.
Thats a first for me.

"Experimental Racer" #6

Old 21-08-2005, 08:17 PM   #23
EL_futuraistic

yeah T terror, my mate was given a fine for having a tow bar on whilst he wasnt towing anything.

Totally agree, if they TMU or Patrol officers are going to issue defects for so-called infringements, they should be given the appropriate training / knowledge of regs. so its not just a wast of both their time, and ur money.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 08:23 PM   #24
TIKFD6
Number 5 is alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_futuraistic
yeah T terror, my mate was given a fine for having a tow bar on whilst he wasnt towing anything.
Thats bloody stupid.
Is this a new Victorian rule?

"Experimental Racer" #6

Old 21-08-2005, 08:26 PM   #25
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIKFD6
Hahaha, Police should undergo at least a little training on what parts of a car are.
The tog police in Vic do courses on picking the basics of a roadwortheness.

They are not experts in every detail of modifacations. So if by chance you do get checked & defected its your responsability to prove its not.

The motto is keep a low profile. But if you want to gather in groups to hoon or attract the attention of the police you face the consiquenses.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 08:29 PM   #26
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

I searched through the documentation that vicroads supplied me with and it had nothing on it.

This was back in the days when I thought that the best way to win was to argue with the cops.

The cops reply was "ok then, we'll soon see whos wrong".

Then he got out his defect book....
Old 21-08-2005, 08:29 PM   #27
250 PURSUIT
CRAZY TYPHOON DRIVER

I dont understand how they say blow off valves are illegal my typhoon has one standard so my is illegal I dont think so other wise you could not register them.

Hilly
250 PURSUIT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 08:31 PM   #28
chuckles
formerly lorosfalcon

well i hate to burst all of your bubbles but yes it is illegal to have your towbar TOUNGUES on unless you are towing something. you are allowed to have both a pod filter and intercooler but only if the pod filter is enclosed in the standard airbox :
chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 08:33 PM   #29
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250 PURSUIT
I dont understand how they say blow off valves are illegal my typhoon has one standard so my is illegal I dont think so other wise you could not register them.

Hilly

In theory changing a BOV especially to a atmosphere venting one will change the signal recieved by your MAF which could potentially cause the car to run rich and have more emissions.

In practise officers are shown where they might vaguely find a BOV and if its bright or noticeable then its considered a defect.

disclaimer: im not privy to police training but based on experience from myself and others thats how it is
Old 21-08-2005, 08:37 PM   #30
CruizinEB
Banned

They go on about hoons over hear in perth to,but what they should say is those idots in them jap cars
CruizinEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post